• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MH Wilds TGS PS5 demo: Unstable 30 FPS, low quality texture

R6Rider

Gold Member
Doesn’t matter.
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

digdug2

Doesn't most of the optimization happen closer to launch? Or if you're extra cynical, 3-6 months after launch?

My hot take is the game will perform like shit on all platforms. Not just consoles.
If you were showing up a flagship game, wouldn't you want it to not perform like utter dogshit at one of the biggest game shows of the year? I understand that optimization is one of the last things in the pipeline, but for the love of Christ, at least optimize the section that is going to be shown to the public!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sounds like Monster Hunter World all over again.

I think I'll pass on this one, maybe grab it later on once the expansion is released. Rise didn't really do it for me and this one looks even more casual.

Wish they'd release a remaster of GU on modern consoles and PC, would love to play that one again with lots of people on the lobbies.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

When you see on recommanded specs for PC "1080p 60fps WITH Frame Generator". you know the game have terrible performance.

Pretty much sums it up. With console-equivalent CPU, they need frame gen to achieve 60fps. That tells you it's unoptimized trash and CPU bound. Consoles don't stand a chance of 60 fps unless they also use (FSR) frame gen to get there, which will play like shit at 30fps base framerate plus added input latency from the frame gen.

Kacho

Gold Member
If you were showing up a flagship game, wouldn't you want it to not perform like utter dogshit at one of the biggest game shows of the year? I understand that optimization is one of the last things in the pipeline, but for the love of Christ, at least optimize the section that is going to be shown to the public!
Ideally yes. I don't think Capcom has a choice here. There's only so much they can do to get this game running acceptably.

Xyphie

Sad how Capcom just fell off a cliff technology-wise with this generation somehow. They were like the first Japanese developer to figure out how to do a modern game engine in the 360/PS3-era with MT Framework. First round of cross-gen RE Engine games were pretty good too (DMC5, RE2 etc). But then it's like they completely dropped the ball.

Stafford

What is the reason though? Don't get me wrong, I love MH but nothing visually seems that super demanding in the footage so far.

Euler007

Sounds like generated propaganda to sell the PS5 Pro, to me. *shrugs*
To me it sound more like the art director was trying to out-do the competition for the screenshot competition and figured the software engineer would bail him out during development. Five months sounds a bit tight to get it running well.

Throwing more power at the code might help, but it better stay above 40 (ideally 48) for VRR, to not trigger LFC.

XXL

This is from the developer today at TGS

What benefits will you get from playing this game on PS5 Pro?

Tsujimoto
To be honest, we are still in the process of verifying compatibility with PS5 Pro, so we can't say anything definite. We will announce it when we have something to tell you, so please keep us updated.

The screen you posted originated on Reddit

As of right now what you're posting just isn't true.

Last edited:
World run on mt framework engine, wilds and rise are both on re engine.

And wilds definitely has bigger areas, the total number of areas is probably gonna be 4 or 5 like world, but every area is 2 times larger than worlds areas and there is no loading time between areas, so it's a full fledged open world basically.

Monster are more detailed but not by that much, human characters got the biggest graphic upgrade, now they look like ps4 re engine characters, human characters in world always looked meh even by 2018 standards.
There seems to be alot more large monsters per map than world that are freely able to move around the whole map.

This may be more significant than people realize. I remember the horizon devs saying the big machines were limited to a certain area beacuse of memory limitations.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There seems to be alot more large monsters per map than world that are freely able to move around the whole map.

This may be more significant than people realize. I remember the horizon devs saying the big machines were limited to a certain area beacuse of memory limitations.
Unless they are doing super complicated stuff that require lots of calculations that shouldn't be a reason for bad performance.

Games like RDR2 already have tons of fauna doing their thing, and other games like EDF6 are able to display monsters in very large numbers without an issue.

I just hope those monsters in Wilds weren't codes by the same dude who made the NPCs in Dragon's Dogma 2. They do nothing, yet each one of them are havier than Crysis lol.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Yeah but both horizon games need to run on a ps4, this one is nextgen only, so guerrilla had to deal with 5400rpm hard disk, less and slower memory and notebook shitty cpu, it's not like the ps5 version of fw has more dinobots on screen than the ps4 version, they have the parity.

Days gone managed to have hundreds of zombies roaming the map, stopping for drinking, stopping to hunt whatever is in their sight, and they are full interactable because you can attract a roaming horde into an enemy camp.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The hateful and exasperating mania of Japanese developers of not having locked fps modes and only allowing unlocked fps modes that make the experience a headache.

Fbh

When this was first announced and it didn't look very visually impressive I was glad because I assumed it was because they were focusing on performance (and maybe ensuring it would run well on the Switch 2).
But nope, it's just Capcom and RE engine sucking at open worlds.

Maybe they will skip wilds and just make a Nintendo specific entry again like they did with Rise.

Either way works for me.

If they make a different game for the Switch 2 hopefully it gets ported over just like Rise .
That one should at least run well on the Ps5 .

TintoConCasera

RE was fine but DD2 certainly wasn't and this is another open world game on RE engine.

Previous MH game on PS4 was also running like shit.
The comparison with DD2 makes me wonder, since the city in that game runs so bad... Have they shown any gameplay on the hub? Like walking around there, talking to NPCs and stuff? If not, I'd fear for the worst...

peek

Ewwww.... hard, hard pass. Its okay though lucky for me I still got rise in my backlog lol. Bought so many games for ps5 that I havent even downloaded yet. So bad with that.

Knew it looked choppy af. Dragons dogma 2 was also 30 yeah? Actually more like 20s i heard lmao

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Eh. This isn’t the first time a Capcom game ran bad on an early demo. I’m getting flashbacks of RE Village.

Killa, MH world ran like absolute shite on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro, on the base consoles it was an unsteady 30fps while on the Pro it ran at an unlocked (and very uneven) framerate.

Also, talking about "Capcom games that ran bad", the 1st Dragon's Dogma was a shit show on the PS3 (it ran better on the X360) and let's not forget the very recent Dragons dogma 2 which...yeah

Personally, I'm not surprised at all that this game (MH wilds) will target 30fps (hint: it'll be worse than that) on the base PS5, I mean, it's not exactly the first game that will run like shite due to it being CPU bound or what have you, we already had DD2, AW2, FF16 and very recently WH40K Space Marine 2 that run awfully , so, yeah... 😉

Cheers

Last edited:

Pelao

RE Engine is great for linear stuff.
Capcom was fucking retarded in using it for larger games. Should have unironically stuck with MT Framework if they weren't gonna bother with optimizing it.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Capcom was fucking retarded in using it for larger games. Should have unironically stuck with MT Framework if they weren't gonna bother with optimizing it.
With a terrible MHW performance it doesn't seem much better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Before DD2, all RE engine games we've seen were tailored to the PS4 spec, hence they were able to run so well on current gen hardware. Now that the cross-gen grace period is over, and Capcom are targeting more ambitious specs, it shows.

I think it's gonna run with unlocked frame rate on PS5/SX and PS5 Pro will naturally benefit from it by running closer to the max frame rate target.

Last edited:

peek

Killa, MH world ran like absolute shite on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro, on the base consoles it was an unsteady 30fps while on the Pro it ran at an unlocked (and very uneven) framerate.

Also, talking about "Capcom games that ran bad", the 1st Dragon's Dogma was a shit show on the PS3 (it ran better on the X360) and let's not forget the very recent Dragons dogma 2 which...yeah

Personally, I'm not surprised at all that this game (MH wilds) will target 30fps (hint: it'll be worse than that) on the base PS5, I mean, it's not exactly the first game that will run like shite due to it being CPU bound or what have you, we already had DD2, AW2, FF16 and very recently WH40K Space Marine 2 that run awfully , so, yeah... 😉

Cheers
Its sad, but seems to be norm. Basically as the console life nears its end, developers keep going for better graphics over performance and they all become sub 30 xD

Where as in the beginning you got games running great at a smooth 60.(also added benefit of playing prev gen on new console at higher fps too)

Skipping this game and most other sub 30 games, for now.

Top Bottom