• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Patcher: SW Outlaws tanking is a "rare incel victory"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The rest of the "modern audience" is basically Resetera and r/gaming and it turns out that isn't quite enough people to make a $200M budget game into a success LMAO
Given the sales of some of these recent DEI games, it'd still be a bomb at $20M budget.

Concord was such a bomb, only way it'd be a success is if the budget was $2,000,000 $200,000.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Pachter... that clown was always wrong back in the day how people thought his word was gospel I'll never know.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Fess

lol @ blaming it on "chuds" and "incels". No MF, its every day people who are tired of this trash from western studios lmao.
Doesn’t make the same headlines claiming it’s a rare every day people win. The old man is simply trying to use youngster talk and, well, it’s embarrassing.

Side note, as a graying man myself who had to google the meaning of incel I find the term interesting. No matter how you look at it, wouldn’t the modern audience who can’t even decide if they’re a man or woman be the most likely involuntary celibates in this world? 🤔

Kotaro

rare victory?!?!

In gaming

- Saints Row flopped
- Forspoken flopped
- Alan Wake 2 flopped
- Suicide Squad flopped
- Concord totally/completely annihilated
- SW Acolyte flopped

and those are the high-profiles, many more smaller DEI games flopped, like Dustborn, Flintlock, Banishers, etc

In movies/TV series
- Lightyear flopped
- Strange World flopped
- The Marvels flopped
- Rings of Power flopped
- SW Acolyte cancelled

In fact, it's more rare to have woke/DEI victory: Barbie in movie and Baldurs Gate 3 in gaming

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
rare victory?!?!

In gaming

- Saints Row flopped
- Forspoken flopped
- Alan Wake 2 flopped
- Suicide Squad flopped
- Concord totally/completely annihilated

and those are the high-profiles, many more smaller DEI games flopped, like Dustborn, Flintlock, Banishers, etc

In movies/TV series
- Lightyear flopped
- Strange Word flopped
- The Marvels flopped
- Rings of Power flopped
- SW Acolyte cancelled

In fact, it's more rare to have woke/DEI victory: Barbie in movie and Baldurs Gate 3 in gaming
Its been a reckoning. To be fair, some of these failures were in development for years. So they released at the wrong time when the tide turned hard. They had no time or budget to revamp the product.

The real telling is if media companies stick to their endless DEI-ish failures in the future when they got time to adjust, or just keep doing it.

Often times it sure seems tech and media companies have bottomless pockets. But it gets to a point they even cancel or change course. There's only so many times you can get banged on the head with a hammer or see examples in the marketplace to understand whats going on. Just comes down to how big their corporate coffers are to absorb any hits and how stubborn they are, where they go all in wearing a helmet.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Not sure how this is a victory for anyone.

Gamers got a bad star wars game, and Ubisoft didn't get the sales.

I didn't care so much about the lead character - the bugs, broken gameplay and the mediocrity of the package is why I passed.

Making the lead character a male archetype wouldn't have changed that.

clintar

Is he lashing out and crying because a game didn't sell well? Sorry, man. I don't think it's ever right to blame the consumer for not wanting a product. You are supposed to make a product based on what the consumer wants. So what if some didn't like the game. You don't have to cry about it.

Kotaro

Its been a reckoning. To be fair, some of these failures were in development for years. So they released at the wrong time when the tide turned hard. They had no time or budget to revamp the product.

The real telling is if media companies stick to their endless DEI-ish failures in the future when they got time to adjust, or just keep doing it.

Often times it sure seems tech and media companies have bottomless pockets. But it gets to a point they even cancel or change course. There's only so many times you can get banged on the head with a hammer or see examples in the marketplace to understand whats going on. Just comes down to how big their corporate coffers are to absorb any hits and how stubborn they are, where they go all in wearing a helmet.

They don't have bottomless pocket, they're just going to keep cutting costs. Just look at Disney, their stock price is still near the lowest point in 5 years, they survived by rounds of layoffs. Gaming companies also, that's why we're seeing rounds of layoffs. And Ubisoft is literally on life support

But there are signs of these media executives start to acknowledge that the toxic woke actually killing their products
- Disney forced Pixar to remove any LGBTQ element from Inside Out 2 movie. and the result is box-office success

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
and a lot of that is optional.
A lot of that is optional in Dragon Age too and thats not stopping some hate mob surrounding the game
So not the best example of a "woke" victory.
I'm not saying its a victory for either side... (sigh, I'm saying neither fucking side has some pull that will make millions buy or not buy something)

The reality is, that game has a lot of the same things Dragon Age has in terms of gender, sexuality etc yet the game did just fine.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bald...ices-have-consequences.1659051/post-268300554

^ you literally had people here saying stuff like this btw.

Yet the game did just fine.

Having something "optional" is not going to make anyone who hates the current Dragon Age game coming, going to like it or something.

I simply think some times games fail and neither side is so massive they are deciding that as clearly that person from NeoGaf that was triggered from BG3 was able to stop it from having massive sales.

So again, I'm not arguing its in favor of some "woke victory" as I have no clue how you came to that conclusion, I'm saying that some hate mob isn't going to tank a game. It takes MILLIONS to not buy something to have that happen which means lots of larger issues at play caused one to fail and one to succeed.

StueyDuck

Incel hey... I mean... that just as easily can be a word used to describe weirdos and wackos from the purple place and the alphabet squad.

Not leaving the house, loathing women for their femininity, scared of world, not getting laid, believes they are owed everything. It's literally a page ripped from their ideology.

So technically he's right 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Sabejita

Neo Member
I love how there's absolutely nothing about the state of the game, when Ubisoft said they pushed AC Shadows to 2025 in part because of Star Wars' bad state at release.

So it's only incels and some people that don't like season pass, but the last ones don't count as it's very popular in Fortnite and Dark Souls 3? (season pass = dlc?)

It really sounds like he's apologizing to clueless investors he mislead in thinking Star Wars Outlaw was going to be a huge hit.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I like how gamers standing up against " agenda over gameplay " are automatically incels. 🥸
They try to guildtrip us into buying woke low quality products, the thing is- that tactic might work on some corpo to hire dei parasites, it can even work on delusional women to follow fashion trends or celebs to do some stupid shit, but will never work on us-avg guys- we got our own brains and dont need society approval, we loved gaming decades ago where it was considered nothing else but nerd/kid activity, and we didnt give a flying fuck :)

Dafegamer

People labelling everything as Incel or Woke are just as bad imo. One of the reasons I usually avoid such ridiculous Threads or Topics. Can we just stick to gaming like the good old days? Like normal people?

Boss Mog

So anybody who doesn't like mediocre third person shooters with ultra poor stealth mechanics and a girl boss protag who goes around one-punching storm troopers in their helmets with her bare fist is an incel?

How Pachter still has a job after so many years of being completely wrong on just about everything is beyond me. One thing is certain though, I will never invest with Wedbush.

husomc

It cant be specifically against star wars as the Jedi games sold pretty well, right?
I think it's to do with taking whatever is cooking in the Ubisoft kitchen and slamming the Star Wars branding on it with minor tweaks. Just the way they do it with almost all of the Assassins creed games. Something like AC: Odyssey could have been a great stand alone title without being in the AC world. Next thing we know Ubi will take a raymans or rabbids game and swap out the characters with Ewoks and call it a new Star Wars game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really care about the uglified main character or whatever. I just watched and read a bunch about the game, and it seemed really mediocre, so I decided to skip it. Maybe people actually care about quality.

Dafegamer

But for real people complain about the most stupid shit in games nowadays. Oh you can't select pronouns, oh this main character is female/black/ gay etc. Not enough diversity/ game is too woke etc. When did all this happen in gaming industry? I don't remember this being so bad in early 2000 to 2010s. Before you could just play games without caring if the characters are a certain way. Discourse has gotten way out of hand nowadays. I blame the both extremes that we can't enjoy things today anymore without being judged 😔
How about just caring if a game is good or not?

RCX

Or the value of the Star Wars brand has been massively eroded by a decade of sub par movies and TV shows leading to a general lack of interest from long-time fans and a shrug of apathy from everyone else.

PeteBull

But for real people complain about the most stupid shit in games nowadays. Oh you can't select pronouns, oh this main character is female/black/ gay etc. Not enough diversity/ game is too woke etc. When did all this happen in gaming industry? I don't remember this being so bad in early 2000 to 2010s. Before you could just play games without caring if the characters are a certain way. Discourse has gotten way out of hand nowadays. I blame the both extremes that we can't enjoy things today anymore without being judged 😔
To go back we need corpos to stop shoveling woke agenda into their games, some publishers/dev studios dont do it, and focus on quality of the game.
Recent examples:
Stellar Blade
Robocop: Rogue City
Space Marine 2
Astrobot

There are more but those are ones i remember, all of them very profitable/big financial success- budgets werent balooned up coz of DEI, sales numbers werent cut coz of offputing wokeness ;)

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Because they completely overdid it. There were always strong women, non white protagonists etc. in games, movies and series and nobody complained. But it became too much so people now instantly yell woke for anything non Duke Nukem and supoorter call them incel, racist, misogyn or homophob. It's a visious circle right now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
“We believe Star Wars Outlaws was impacted by a coordinated effort that sought to troll Ubisoft games specifically and Star Wars content in general,” wrote Michael Pachter.
Seriously? The game was a major disappointment. The main character's design is just not appealing. And let's face it, heavy-handed EDI can be a real turn-off for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

Because they completely overdid it. There were always strong women, non white protagonists etc. in games, movies and series and nobody complained. But it became too much so people now instantly yell woke for anything non Duke Nukem and supoorter call them incel, racist, misogyn or homophob. It's a visious circle right now.
Exactly, one of my favorite movie of recent times, Tenet, has a black lead in the talented David Washington. Every character is greatly written in that movie that you don't even notice the ethnicities. Same for one of the best written female characters of all time. Kim Wexler from BCS. People don't complain about gender or ethnicity at all, just about how they approach it. You can write strong female characters, but that doesn't mean that you have to dumb down all other male characters for the sake of it. If devs/movie directors used the same tactic, then they didn't know how the write the female(or gay, black whatever etc) on their own Merritts anyway. Despite my Love for TLOU2, it's doing the same shit, which hurt it badly in the end. They dumbed down Joel's character just for the sake of it, instead of just write every character on equal measures based on logic of their behaviour. On the other hand, extremists saying anything is woke without knowing context or understanding the characters, can fuck off too. Some Woke detector is claiming Space Marine 2 is woke for example which is ridiculous. That's why I can't deal with those extremists 🤷

ShadowNate

Yeah Pachter is a clown, but also "professional critics" have proven repeatedly for years that their "opinion" is biased at best and more commonly directed by sponsors, agendas, and plain old click baiting.

It's past time they became irrelevant.

PeteBull

Exactly, one of my favorite movie of recent times, Tenet, has a black lead in the talented David Washington. Every character is greatly written in that movie that you don't even notice the ethnicities. Same for one of the best written female characters of all time. Kim Wexler from BCS. People don't complain about gender or ethnicity at all, just about how they approach it. You can write strong female characters, but that doesn't mean that you have to dumb down all other male characters for the sake of it. If devs/movie directors used the same tactic, then they didn't know how the write the female(or gay, black whatever etc) on their own Merritts anyway. Despite my Love for TLOU2, it's doing the same shit, which hurt it badly in the end. They dumbed down Joel's character just for the sake of it, instead of just write every character on equal measures based on logic of their behaviour. On the other hand, extremists saying anything is woke without knowing context or understanding the characters, can fuck off too. Some Woke detector is claiming Space Marine 2 is woke for example which is ridiculous. That's why I can't deal with those extremists 🤷
I will give u 2 examples:
1st predator with its very diverse cast
predator-main-223.jpg

and first alien with strong female protagonist

In both there was 0 woke, simply coz u knew no1 pushes any agenda unlike current media.

Top Bottom