• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateTheHate: Indiana Jones to come to PS5 in the first half of 2025, timed console exclusive for Xbox

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The financial is 2023, but the document is written this year.

Feynoob, as a CPA (same letters carried by the professionals who signed off on this financial report) I am telling you that not one cent of the cash generated by HB2 release is presented in those financial statements. And the director is not wrong. They "successfully released" the game to the public. But that doesn't mean the game was a commercial success as you and the rest of your friends on twitter are incorrectly interpreting.

Topher

Gold Member
Indeed, the document is dated after the launch of HB2 and is full of mentions of the supposed succesfully launch.

Outside of that, the most interesting thing is that they confirm that the development of Project Mara continues at the same time as "other projects."

What stood out to me was they went from a loss in 2022 to a nice profit in 2023. I'd be curious as to what happened to generate that revenue. They didn't release any games, did they?

feynoob

Banned
Yes, but for last year as a companies house document for government/tax. The income is all "intercompany recharge" anyway meaning it's likely money just coming from MS, their actual publishing income dropped in 2023. Has nothing to do with HB2 which this 2023 report wouldn't even cover.
You mean HB2? These documents don't say anything about how successful HB2. Edit: well...other than that it "launched" successfully which simply means that it launched without any issues.
Indeed, the document is dated after the launch of HB2 and is full of mentions of the supposed succesfully launch.

Outside of that, the most interesting thing is that they confirm that the development of Project Mara continues at the same time as "other projects."
Feynoob, as a CPA (same letters carried by the professionals who signed off on this financial report) I am telling you that not one cent of the cash generated by HB2 release is presented in those financial statements. And the director is not wrong. They "successfully released" the game to the public. But that doesn't mean the game was a commercial success as you and the rest of your friends on twitter are incorrectly interpreting.
Hence why I said
I have no idea how HL2 is successful, but it seems it is.
and this

The main thing for ninja theory would be this.
They have a state of the art mocap studio and get paid by other studios (incl MS ones) to do mocap capture.

The presentation of hell blade 2 shows their skills. Maybe that is why MS is keeping them around and not shutting them down.

Three

What stood out to me was they went from a loss in 2022 to a nice profit in 2023. I'd be curious as to what happened to generate that revenue. They didn't release any games, did they?
MS paid them 23M in 2023 instead of 19M in 2022 the previous year. Only the "intercompany recharge" is just more and completely hides what it's coming from (maybe negotiated more income from MS or maybe more playtime on GP for hellblade 1 so they get compensated more?) but their self published income actually decreased from 1.4M to 0.9M.

Darsxx82

NT's motion capture business seems to be quite strong revenue-wise, and I might add that for a while HB1 sales saw a noticeable boost on Steam as a result of HB2's next release. I assume that certainty about the $ucces of HB2 will come in a next report in 2024 where a PS5 version will possibly be included in this XBOX multiplatform trend.

But as I say, what I would highlight is that as of mid-2024, Project Mara and "other projects" are continuing. It is never clear, but between the fact that they claim a year of profits and that they are working on several projects... it does not seem to point to the announcement of the closure of the NT that many here already take for granted.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
GHG GHG See what you did. You caused all of this. I want to get mad at you, but the chicken let vardy score against them. Kinda happy now. Dont do this again.
Sad Europa League GIF by DAZN

• LOL
Reactions: GHG
Oof. I think you shouldn't take the exclusive thing too seriously but if you only game on XSX/XSS it's pretty hard not to be upset by this.

I can see that. It's hard to be excited for an "exclusive" for your console, only for it to be revealed to be coming to the *opposite* console very shortly after, most likely with any updates done in the meantime *and* possibly PS5 Pro support, making it the best console version available.

Why own an Xbox? You can't simply say Game Pass, because it's on PC or even some TVs and pretty clear they don't give a damn about the console itself.

Yes, you can just "go for PC" but not everyone has that option. Some do, but not a great deal of people.

Humdinger

Well, if it turns out to be true, that should put an end to any remaining denial among the Xbox fans that MS intends to port most of its exclusives to Playstation eventually. It's a big AAA game, previously announced as exclusive and now not.

feynoob

Banned
Well, if it turns out to be true, that should put an end to any remaining denial among the Xbox fans that MS intends to port most of its exclusives to Playstation eventually. It's a big AAA game, previously announced as exclusive and now not.
This is like PS pc port all over again. Console fans needs to understand that this is business, not a charity. To make more games, you need to make more money first.

LordCBH

I understand optics are absolutely hilarious from a MS perspective here. But honestly question, are people actually hyped for this game? Seems to have been getting a good amount of hype on this site for awhile and it's just odd to me. Indiana Jones seems like a completely irrelevant IP to me in the year 2024. Idk, maybe I'm just oblivious.

I was hella interested until they revealed it was a first person game. Then all my interest died immediately.

Humdinger

Console fans needs to understand that this is business, not a charity. To make more games, you need to make more money first.

Right, I get that, and I think most Xbox users do, too. But I imagine there are still some holdouts who are holding on to the idea that it is going to be just be 4 ... well, 5 ... well ok maybe 6 .. but all of them older titles or indies, or else games supposedly pre-destined to be multiplatform (Doom).

I think a big, high-profile AAA release like Indy, previously announced as exclusive and now coming so soon to PS5, would put that remaining denial to rest. Of course, I may be underestimating their denial.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Do people even care about Indiana Jones anymore? That's even more washed out than Star wars

On the film side, no. It remains to be seen whether there's an appetite on the gaming side. Jedi Fallen and Survivor sold very well. So it's possible that the lack of interest on the film side doesn't impact the gaming side.

Humdinger

this is only going to happen when jailo and Gears are ported

That would do it all right. Some people's denial is pretty strong. It'd sort of be like telling one of those 90 year old Japanese soldiers holed up in a cave that hey, WWII ended a while ago...

Do people even care about Indiana Jones anymore? That's even more washed out than Star wars

I do, yeah, but more from a game than movie perspective. I enjoyed the first couple of Indiana Jones movies way back when, but I haven't seen any of the others and don't really care to. I'd like a good adventure game in the original Indiana Jones style, though. I'm a fan of Uncharted and Tomb Raider, and I'd be happy to get another game like that. I think it's an under-represented genre, especially as Uncharted and TR are both fading away.

I'm just hoping it's a fun game that retains the spirit of the original Indy, rather than "modernizing" it too much. We shall see.

Last edited:

Humdinger

You're under estimating their denial.

Could be, lol. Some people are just going to stay entrenched in console war-based denial forever. But I think to all remaining intelligent players on the field, sending Indiana Jones over would have to be about as clear a signal as you can get. Anyone continuing the pretense after that must be considered a loon.

Reminded me of a good quote: "You can never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people - HL Mencken.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL
Right, I get that, and I think most Xbox users do, too. But I imagine there are still some holdouts who are holding on to the idea that it is going to be just be 4 ... well, 5 ... well ok maybe 6 .. but all of them older titles or indies, or else games supposedly pre-destined to be multiplatform (Doom).

I think a big, high-profile AAA release like Indy, previously announced as exclusive and now coming so soon to PS5, would put that remaining denial to rest. Of course, I may be underestimating their denial.

I think Xbox fans know more are coming. It’s the clickbait personalities that always get quoted here, not normal gamers.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I think Xbox fans know more are coming. It’s the clickbait personalities that always get quoted here, not normal gamers.

Hope so. But someone has to be following those jokers...

Probably not people you'd find on GAF, though. Anyone that entrenched would've fled for greener pastures a while ago.

Top Bottom