• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VideoGamer] Xbox fans lose faith in Microsoft as exclusives jump to PlayStation

ZehDon

I feel like Microsoft jumped the multiplat gun too soon. A lot of their gaming revenue is now Activision and most of that is multiplat either way. Might as well keep the Xbox Studios and Bethesda games as exclusives to keep Xbox alive instead of killing their Game Pass subs and their GaaS cut.
I tend to agree, but for different reasons. I suspect we're seeing transition pains as Xbox evolves due to the nature of the transition. Microsoft is clearly going PC-hybrid next gen - the idea of a closed "Xbox Console" platform is dead. The issue is that they've had to start transitioning the software side today to get it ready, which is long before the open hardware platform is in place. So, instead of seeing a new "open Xbox platform" message with software and hardware that lines up, we're seeing a closed hardware platform with basically no exclusives. Instead of "a new vision for Xbox", we're left with "Microsoft's release strategy makes no fucking sense" until the hardware arrives that makes it make sense.

I'm actually super keen to see their handheld and the kind of Xbox PC they can deliver. An Xbox PC that can run Steam, Epic, and Xbox games? Potent. Microsoft's all in on AI, and that technology has the potential to turbo charge games if a platform was built with it in mind from the ground up. But we're about 18 months away from seeing that stuff. So, until then, Microsoft's Xbox strategy is a negative cycle: their hardware doesn't sell, so they release more games on competitors platforms, so there's less reason to buy their hardware.

GloveSlap

I've been a mostly an Xbox player since Halo 2. I'm happy to have a Series X for back compatibility, but this is my last one for sure. PC and Playstation from here on out. I'm not mad about it though. It'll be cool to only have to have to buy one console and get everything except for Nintendo.

Skelterz

With a lot of hard earned money, dlc, trophies, saves, friends, tied to the account. I'm very sympathetic to gamers, who don't want lose their accounts.
But they won’t lose there accounts they will just migrate to a platform-less software instead of a traditional home console. I can literally play Xbox games from an app on my TV sign into my old Xbox account no problem the ecosystem will still maintain the physical console won’t.

The crazy thing about this situation is this is literally the future and it’s seen as quite stark and crazy atm but a time will come where software gets so good you only need a controller and the internet and streaming will do all the heavy lifting. Xbox are just doing it wayyy to early imo because they’ve been battered by Sony but what they’ll have over Sony in 5-10 years will be online infrastructure data centres and bandwidth.

I’ll wager we get 1-2 more consoles from Sony and a tablet potentially from Xbox next gen to stream off just a peripherals like the PlayStation thing that just came out with Nintendo making hardware until the bitter end.

Last edited:

SNG32

To be honest the Xbox brand was heading in this direction anyway. The problem with Microsoft and Xbox is they have no direction in terms of games nor do they embrace creativity. I believe they tried with the first Xbox and the 360 but once they hit Xbox one and Phil was in the driver seat he literally drove the brand into the ground.

KINGMOKU

On a related note, does anyone know the best asymmetrical controller to use when buying a PS5?

Asking for a friend.

Kumomeme

“If all of those were on Xbox I would not have bought the PS5. The exclusives got me to buy the console. End of story. If every Xbox game is going to PlayStation eventually then I don’t need my Xbox any more. My problem is I’ve been an Xbox fan since the beginning and I want to be a fan but they are making it really hard.”

people been telling this for years. even since atleast Xbox One era. we even has banter of similliar topic here. but lot of people want to pretend that this never the case. there even tons of attempt of trying to disprove this, trying to bend the actual reality via a keyboard.

what worse, rather than voicing valid concern, they end up evangelized every moving goal post comment by super duper relatable friendly gamer uncle phil spencer.

here we go batman GIF

Last edited:

Fess

I just hope that Satya let them survive long enough to launch a console with multi PC launcher access. It’ll be the end of Xbox as we know it but it’ll start something new and it’ll be a way forward for Steam and Epic etc to enter the living room.

peish

You cant blame Phil, you cant blame Xbox after how much resources they thrown into fighting the cause.

You should look at yourselves first, you gamers are the big problem. You did not offer enough support for Xbox, you did not give enough word of mouth to expand the Xbox family.

Why are people more likely to buy Playstation than Xbox?

StueyDuck

I mean... to the defenders, doesn't this logically mean that the only reason they owned a console was because the other console didn't get the game

Rather than the quality of the games being made. Wouldn't you want less redfalls and concords for more elden rings, baldurs gate 3s and games of that caliber

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
While Xbox has been praised for its pro-consumer move of making games like Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves on PlayStation
There's nothing pro-consumer about it. It's MS scrambling because they dug themselves into a money pit.
Playstation gamers could have bought Xbox's if they wanted to play that shit, they didn't. Hi-fi has continued to not sell shit on the other platforms.

That's the worst part: Even gamers who wanted nothing to do with MS games will want even less to do with them now, despite them being on all other platforms. It just looks fucking lame.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Who cares? It's not like Xbox users are missing out on Xbox games. If other console owners want to eat fermented Xbox ports 6 months later, that's perfectly OK.
Towerborne, an Xbox game, says hi. :messenger_beaming:

sgrt7x3.jpeg

Steam users get to play Towerborne months earlier, while Xbox gamers - as you put it - will "eat fermented ports 6 months later." But ... that's perfectly okay!

Ozzie666

Not surprisingly, If Xbox could go back to launch. They would have done exactly what Sony did and remove the drive. Those 2 SKUS were a brilliant cuthroat move by Sony. No one, I mean no one, saw that coming. Meanwhile Microsoft thought they were pretty smart with the Series S at first, probably pretty proud of themselves. Dividing your user base instead of further locking them into your ecosystem, terrible move. Not sure which was worse, Kinec or Series S.

If you are going to create policies to anchor your beast of a console to the series S, maybe don't poke fun of the PS5 Flops and power.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
You can play more games on PlayStation than on Xbox.
But you don't have to buy as many games on Xbox because of Gamepass.

The question is if you value the amount of games to buy more than the acces to games via subscription. That's the choice you have in 2024.

Console wars is dead.

Topher

Gold Member
You cant blame Phil, you cant blame Xbox after how much resources they thrown into fighting the cause.

You should look at yourselves first, you gamers are the big problem. You did not offer enough support for Xbox, you did not give enough word of mouth to expand the Xbox family.

Why are people more likely to buy Playstation than Xbox?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You can play more games on PlayStation than on Xbox.
But you don't have to buy as many games on Xbox because of Gamepass.

The question is if you value the amount of games to buy more than the acces to games via subscription. That's the choice you have in 2024.

Console wars is dead.
most people prefer to buy since they want to own the game and not rent.

Xbox is my preferred console. I own all consoles.

Who the hell is buying Xboxes for console exclusives at this point???? They all come to pc eventually and they haven’t scored a masterpiece, or even close to it, in a long time.

I say this as someone who plays primarily on Xbox. Gamepass is where I get the value out of my system. The exclusives are just an occasional bonus at this point.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I can't pick what I love more about the Xbox diehards. The generation of "Xbox has the best exclusives" or the "Exclusives are bad. Why can't Sony follow the winning Xbox strategy?".

You usually don't see their opinions when it comes to Nintendo. They never throw a fit over the multiple exclusives Nintendo or PC gets. It's always their best competitor should sink with their brand.

Nah, make exclusives. Buy the system you want that has the most games. I'd rather have a well optimized game on specific hardware that's try to sell the hardware (consoles, PC video cards) and push for better games. As we've seen with Xbox, it's not just flipping a graphics setting on or off to make a game run. It becomes a train wreck for development to have multiple systems. Imagine every game only being as powerful as the least powerful system so no one's feelings are hurt. Why not make every game a cellphone game since the argument is "no gamer should be left out"?

Take your L and buy a better system without listening to some suit that looks like he's been constipated for 15 years.

TheShocker

I’ve always owned both consoles, and had my primary be Xbox. I prefer the ecosystem, achievements, and controller more than PlayStation. The further Xbox moves away from the console space, the less I want to support it. In the near future, possibly with the launch of a PS5 Pro, I’ll switch my multiplat purchases to that and use my Xbox as a GP machine.

In the meantime, I’ve been very cautious on new purchases that aren’t exclusive to a specific console.

Trilobit

people been telling this for years. even since atleast Xbox One era. we even has banter of similliar topic here. but lot of people want to pretend that this never the case. there even tons of attempt of trying to disprove this, trying to bend the actual reality via a keyboard.

what worse, rather than voicing valid concern, they end up evangelized every moving goal post comment by super duper relatable friendly gamer uncle phil spencer.

here we go batman GIF

Exclusives is why I bought a Switch and a PS5. I like the Xbox controller and Gamepass, but in the end the console needs to have the games I want to play.

MH3M3D

Console gamers buy a PS5 instead and just wait. PC gamers get the games day 1. You must be a console-only gamer with 0 interest in Playstations many exclusives to get an XBOX. They're just pushing themselves out of the hardware market at this point. Either throw in the towel and go 3rd party or HOLD FAST and build an exclusive line-up that can compete.

MacReady13

It is very easy to say to console gamers to just get a PS5 and PC and forget Xbox but there are some of us who have been with Xbox from their inception. I have built a digital library since the 360 days and for their consoles to disappear just so we can rent games is a fucking disgrace. This is the bullshit many of us have been saying for a long time with Microsoft yet so many have told me that I am crazy to think Microsoft will not go consoles anymore and focus solely on renting games. Great, I can play all their games on PS5/PC from now on but what about the 700-odd games I have digitally on the Series X?

Microsoft fucked up big time here and it is sad to see. There are many loyal console gamers who would have stayed loyal had they continued on the same path (games wise) from the 360 era into the Xbone era. They lost so much goodwill that fucking Phil thought being ther Netflix of gaming would save them. What a blunder. And what shits me even further is, so many people within gaming on youtube KNOW that gamepass is doing this yet continuously push that shit sub service knowing the damage it has caused to the console space and to many of us who have invested into this ecosystem.

Gtafans93

I would make fun of you, except I realize you probably weren't around when many games don't get ported to every machine out there, and even when they do they are basically different games from each other.

Since you don't remember what happened the last time a console platform mass ported their games to another platform, you also wouldn't know what that really meant. You just had to learn it for the first time.
Dude I was born in the 90's I Absolutely remember that. Hell I remember the crazy console war of olds when Final fantasy was coming to xbox and everyone complained Milk and all (Don't search for that video) . But I never cared. Fighting over consoles is childsplay and Honestly we should all just grow up. This isnt the old days. Games being ported is fine including exclusives. Now I get exclusives they add value to your console but still artist want there games to be played by as many people as they can. Not one and done..

I dunno I guess I am just being an adult which is obviously not what most gamers these days are.

It is very easy to say to console gamers to just get a PS5 and PC and forget Xbox but there are some of us who have been with Xbox from their inception. I have built a digital library since the 360 days and for their consoles to disappear just so we can rent games is a fucking disgrace. This is the bullshit many of us have been saying for a long time with Microsoft yet so many have told me that I am crazy to think Microsoft will not go consoles anymore and focus solely on renting games. Great, I can play all their games on PS5/PC from now on but what about the 700-odd games I have digitally on the Series X?

Microsoft fucked up big time here and it is sad to see. There are many loyal console gamers who would have stayed loyal had they continued on the same path (games wise) from the 360 era into the Xbone era. They lost so much goodwill that fucking Phil thought being ther Netflix of gaming would save them. What a blunder. And what shits me even further is, so many people within gaming on youtube KNOW that gamepass is doing this yet continuously push that shit sub service knowing the damage it has caused to the console space and to many of us who have invested into this ecosystem.
Investing in a closed ecosystem will always be a stupid idea. You are just a company pawn and ATM machine for the company you invest in with no idea if and when they decide to no longer support what you thought they were selling you.
Not to go on the 'get a pc bro' route, but I stayed physical until I didn't saw the point of it anymore and the push to all digital became very clear, and then switched to PC. PC is an open platform and people will find ways to get and play how they want. Its not all peachy off course but its certainly better than digging a grave with Sony, Xbox or whatever company ecosystem. Also open platform means cheaper prices and less company control. I don't like being fucked up the ass by some corporate overlord.

See exclusives coming to Playstation is Fine problem is PS5 exclusives should also be coming to Xbox. So far that is not the case if it was most gamers wouldnt care about any of this and we as gamers would indeed be winning

This could have been the case, but Microsoft decided to turn the excellent 360 into a Kinectbox and fuck up the Xbox One just as people were transitioning to building digital libraries.

Microsoft now have to look at other console to make up for their ever shrinking Xbox platform, Sony do not.

At this point it’s difficult to see how anyone could compete with Sony, Nintendo and Steam PCs.

Even Apple are reluctant to transition Apple TV into a proper gaming platform.

Unknown?

Investing in a closed ecosystem will always be a stupid idea. You are just a company pawn and ATM machine for the company you invest in with no idea if and when they decide to no longer support what you thought they were selling you.
Not to go on the 'get a pc bro' route, but I stayed physical until I didn't saw the point of it anymore and the push to all digital became very clear, and then switched to PC. PC is an open platform and people will find ways to get and play how they want. Its not all peachy off course but its certainly better than digging a grave with Sony, Xbox or whatever company ecosystem. Also open platform means cheaper prices and less company control. I don't like being fucked up the ass by some corporate overlord.
Windows is proprietary. What you want is not open platform but open source.

Megatron

As someone who bought everything but bought multiplats on Xbox, I have changed that strategy and only been buying them on ps5. Between the uncertainty of there even being a next Xbox (and even if there is, it probably won’t have a disk drive so would’t play any of my disk based games) to always being annoyed when the thing I bought winds up free on game-pass, I just buy the games on ps5 and double dip if they come to gamepass.

MacReady13

And yet some of you wonder why exactly Microsoft has no more exclusives coming up for their consoles. I wish more of you would open your eyes to this. YOU (not you specifically Trilobit) are the reason why exclusives are going elsewhere. Why devs are starting to abandon the Series X/S. Gamepass has ruined Xbox. And COD won't help it. Fuck Gamepass and fuck whoever is Microsoft thought this was a good idea and continues to push this crap.

Top Bottom