• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VideoGamer] Xbox fans lose faith in Microsoft as exclusives jump to PlayStation

Trilobit

And yet some of you wonder why exactly Microsoft has no more exclusives coming up for their consoles. I wish more of you would open your eyes to this. YOU (not you specifically Trilobit) are the reason why exclusives are going elsewhere. Why devs are starting to abandon the Series X/S. Gamepass has ruined Xbox. And COD won't help it. Fuck Gamepass and fuck whoever is Microsoft thought this was a good idea and continues to push this crap.

I love your condensed quote of what I wrote. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Another thing I’ve noticed that may not be helping is the lack of retail presence contributing a lack of awareness.

I stepped foot in my local GAME store for the first time in a year, the entire Xbox section has been replaced with Lego stuff with Xbox games now only taking up a small rack in the back (the PS5 and Switch sections are much bigger). The Xbox Series section of CEX is minuscule too.

Another unintended consequence of GamePass I guess.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Another thing I’ve noticed that may not be helping is the lack of retail presence contributing a lack of awareness.

I stepped foot in my local GAME store for the first time in a year, the entire Xbox section has been replaced with Lego stuff with Xbox games now only taking up a small rack in the back (the PS5 and Switch sections are much bigger). The Xbox Series section of CEX is minuscule too.

Another unintended consequence of GamePass I guess.
This is why I always shake my head when I see journalists and influencers talking about future Xbox hardware. Sure, they may release something, but that ship has sailed when it comes to having a notable retail presence. This is in the UK, once considered Xbox's second most important market, yet the brand (be it at retail or in the media/press) is nowhere to be seen.

It all reminds me of the last days of Commodore, Atari, Sega, 3DO hardware. Only this time the brand in question seems to want to speed along it's own hardware's demise. I don't actually think this is the wrong strategy for them, I just wish we didn't have to play silly games with announcements.

It all reminds me of the last days of Commodore, Atari, Sega, 3DO hardware. Only this time the brand in question seems to want to speed along it's own hardware's demise. I don't actually think this is the wrong strategy for them, I just wish we didn't have to play silly games with announcements.

They kind of have to.

On one hand they want PlayStation owners to get excited about Microsoft’s games, on the other they don’t want their Xbox userbase to completely abandon them overnight.

And yet some of you wonder why exactly Microsoft has no more exclusives coming up for their consoles. I wish more of you would open your eyes to this. YOU (not you specifically Trilobit) are the reason why exclusives are going elsewhere. Why devs are starting to abandon the Series X/S. Gamepass has ruined Xbox. And COD won't help it. Fuck Gamepass and fuck whoever is Microsoft thought this was a good idea and continues to push this crap.

Xbox didn’t have exclusives well before GamePass and outside of some extremely small and niche titles, what devs are abandoning Xbox? I mean, even in cases where a publisher might skip Xbox on a release, they don’t skip it on others. As far as the big publishers go anyway.

Also this gen kind of proves that outside of something incredibly insane like $100 consoles or something, Xbox was never going to beat PlayStation. Sony this gen has been a complete joke and yet they are swimming in sales.

It all boils down to what lots of people have said this gen, Xbox lost the most important generation, the one where everyone built their digital libraries. So you have two similar systems with equally lackluster next gen libraries and people flock to PlayStation because their PS4 library is there.

I know shitting on GamePass is the cool thing to do on GAF, but Xbox isn’t failing because of GamePass. Xbox was already failing before it came about. GamePass is just one of the Hail Marys MS has tried.

If you remove GamePass, what do you have? You still have Series consoles with lackluster next gen games. Sure, MS might have more software sales, but their hardware sales are less. Do they keep their games off other consoles in this scenario? Nah. Does this scenario change their game output? Nah.

Also, how is it the fault of gamers for taking advantage of a good service? That’s silly.

Hohenheim

I have no idea why people are upset over games moving from one platform to another.
It's the weirdest thing about this industry. I can't think of any other industry who has this strange issue within their userbase.
Can't wrap my head around it.

I used to have every console from Sony, MS and Nintendo since the NES, and at no point in time did I become a fan of anything but the games.

These days most consoles feels like nothing more than lower speced pc's without the freedom, so it's even stranger that people care about which games are available on what boxes.
In the 90's the machines at least felt somewhat unique to each other and kinda different from pc's.

Last edited:

Humdinger

It is very easy to say to console gamers to just get a PS5 and PC and forget Xbox but there are some of us who have been with Xbox from their inception. I have built a digital library since the 360 days and for their consoles to disappear just so we can rent games is a fucking disgrace. This is the bullshit many of us have been saying for a long time with Microsoft yet so many have told me that I am crazy to think Microsoft will not go consoles anymore and focus solely on renting games. Great, I can play all their games on PS5/PC from now on but what about the 700-odd games I have digitally on the Series X?

Microsoft fucked up big time here and it is sad to see. There are many loyal console gamers who would have stayed loyal had they continued on the same path (games wise) from the 360 era into the Xbone era. They lost so much goodwill that fucking Phil thought being the Netflix of gaming would save them. What a blunder. And what shits me even further is, so many people within gaming on youtube KNOW that gamepass is doing this yet continuously push that shit sub service knowing the damage it has caused to the console space and to many of us who have invested into this ecosystem.

Yeah, that's an understandable concern and frustration. If you've built a big digital library on Xbox, jumping to PS potentially means leaving that library behind. Others have said you should go PC, but many people don't want to game on PC.

However, all signs point to Xbox offering hardware at least through next generation (2026-203_). If you buy that hardware, you will be able to access your digital library - probably for the next decade. And if you don't want to buy into their next gen system, you can keep your XSX plugged in, and access your digital library that way.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The idea that other platforms can play the same games that are available on a platform that I play on, is of zero concern to me. MS just has to have a compelling feature set and deliver a distinct advantage. They did "ok" this gen, as I really get a lot of miles out of features such as fps boost, quick resume, and dev mode emulation, but they need to do a better job at differentiating themselves with their upcoming hardware.

Quasicat

Microsoft is a service company, and that’s exactly what their corporate culture wants. We have a ton (literally thousands) of Surface computers at work for the students and staff, and we own none of them. The Azure servers, Office Suite, Teams, etc are not tangible things and if we ever cut our ties with Microsoft, we would have nothing to show for it.
It makes sense that this is what they want to do on Xbox with GamePass and Cloud gaming. It may not be for everyone, but eventually other companies will follow along because they get to control everything, including profits and piracy.

On a side note: I have friends that literally have rooms in their houses filled with physical media, yet I spent the last 6 months digitizing everything (movies, TV Shows, music, personal photos) and uploaded them to an offsite cloud. This makes me happy because when I was younger, we lost everything in a fire. If that were to ever happen again, I could quickly and cheaply recover everything.

MacReady13

Also, how is it the fault of gamers for taking advantage of a good service? That’s silly.
How is it silly? Devs NEED money to survive. They rely on SALES. There is a very good reason Sony, Nintendo, Valve don't go day and date on rentals... Anyone that cannot see how detrimental gamepass has been to the Xbox brand really needs to take a good hard look at things. Devs are starting to abandon the Series consoles. It's sad to see yet Microsoft seem content with it. Best deal in gaming my fucking ass.

CLW

Phil is an abject moron - he devalued his product to shit yet somehow maintains a job. ONLY A FOOL (Eastwood) would think ms is anything other than a 3rd party publisher at this point

peter42O

Neo Member
Personally, six months later, im over Microsoft porting their games to Sony/Nintendo platforms. I expect them to port many games and eventually be day one with them all but as long as they have Game Pass (and the other 5+ benefits I get with Xbox that PlayStation/Nintendo doesn't give me), im not going anywhere. I don't give two shits if people on other platforms get to play their games. It literally changes nothing for me.

All I care about are the games that im interested in (15 out of 21) being great or better for me. Thus far, they've delivered for me. The only mediocre game for me was Redfall with Hellblade 2 being a disappointment but I was never a huge fan of the first game so no biggie. Absolutely love Starfield as it's my current game of the generation and super hyped for the Shattered Space expansion as I have a nice 10 day vacation setup all around it, loved the Halo Infinite campaign and even started replaying it last night after playing through all seven previous Halo games for the first time ever (for me, Infinite is #1, Reach #2, Halo 4 #3, Halo 2 #4, Halo CE #5, Halo 3 #6, Halo 5 #7 and ODST #8) in the last two weeks, Hi Fi Rush is great, COD MW III is your normal 7-8 rated 6-8 hour action packed campaign romp, Diablo IV is excellent, and I enjoyed Gears Tactics for the most part.

The best part I always see and read online is Sony's first party games are so superior, blah blah blah but yet if you look over all of their new released games for this generation (including cross-gen), their overall rating is an 81.7 via Open Critic with 18 games released thus far and while Astro Bot will probably increase that rating by a half a point or so, Microsoft's games for this generation have an overall rating of 81.3 via Open Critic with 19 games release thus far.

The quality difference is minimal at best. It simply comes down to which type of games and genres each individual prefers and while I love Sony's games for the most part, I love the variety that I get from Microsoft. Best of all, all of them day one on Game Pass because for the life of me, I will never understand why anyone would want to pay more money for games especially if you know you're only going to play through them once.

So basically, im one Xbox fan who hasn't lost faith or confidence in Microsoft because if I did, I wouldn't still own my Xbox Series X and continue to buy and play games on it. Also, can't wait for their next console in 2026 and hoping they release it with Gears of War: E-Day and Perfect Dark. Easy day one purchase for me. Xbox baby!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

havoc00

phil-spencer-cringe.gif

freefornow

I am at the point of abandoning the "Xbox" console, but won't be jumping to PlayStation. The inevitability of where gaming is heading, PC feels like the best option going forward.
PC still lacks "simplicity" for pick up and play, imo, but it's just something that I will need to get better at, or learn to live with.

WoJ

Phil is a total moron and I don't have a lot of faith in Xbox going forward. But I still have strong feelings towards Xbox. I prefer to play on Xbox over Playstation. I was totally out of gaming until the 360 reintroduced me and I love gaming more than ever now. But as someone who prefers physical media it's harder and harder to stick with Xbox. I know physical is dying, but its not totally dead on PS and Nintendo.

The Series X is probably my last Xbox console and that's okay. I've got a huge library to play on it and it's an emulation beast. As much as I question the future of Xbox they're going out with a bang for me. I may pick up a second Series X as a backup this holiday since I suspect the originals will be going as cheap or cheaper than last year.

Fahdis

*me here with GeForce Now waiting for Sony for true platform agnosticism without a box*

Am I the villain?

Pimpbaa

I bought a 1TB storage expansion card last year in preparation in buying games (along with all the games I have installed from gamepass). But now, I do not want to invest in the Xbox ecosystem because of how little faith I have in it. My Series X is for gamepass only and isn’t my primary console. Still getting a lot of gaming out of gamepass but I’m not sure how long it will last. I mean, how long till big 3rd party publishers start losing faith in the hardware and stop releasing games for it? And gamepass with just MS published titles would not be worth it. At that point I would rather just sell my Xbox and get the good MS published titles on PS5 when they come out. Which is probably what MS wants eventually, people to buy their games on other platforms. I mean they haven’t gone full on Sega yet, but next gen? Probably.

Topher

Gold Member
Personally, six months later, im over Microsoft porting their games to Sony/Nintendo platforms. I expect them to port many games and eventually be day one with them all but as long as they have Game Pass (and the other 5+ benefits I get with Xbox that PlayStation/Nintendo doesn't give me), im not going anywhere. I don't give two shits if people on other platforms get to play their games. It literally changes nothing for me.

All I care about are the games that im interested in (15 out of 21) being great or better for me. Thus far, they've delivered for me. The only mediocre game for me was Redfall with Hellblade 2 being a disappointment but I was never a huge fan of the first game so no biggie. Absolutely love Starfield as it's my current game of the generation and super hyped for the Shattered Space expansion as I have a nice 10 day vacation setup all around it, loved the Halo Infinite campaign and even started replaying it last night after playing through all seven previous Halo games for the first time ever (for me, Infinite is #1, Reach #2, Halo 4 #3, Halo 2 #4, Halo CE #5, Halo 3 #6, Halo 5 #7 and ODST #8) in the last two weeks, Hi Fi Rush is great, COD MW III is your normal 7-8 rated 6-8 hour action packed campaign romp, Diablo IV is excellent, and I enjoyed Gears Tactics for the most part.

The best part I always see and read online is Sony's first party games are so superior, blah blah blah but yet if you look over all of their new released games for this generation (including cross-gen), their overall rating is an 81.7 via Open Critic with 18 games released thus far and while Astro Bot will probably increase that rating by a half a point or so, Microsoft's games for this generation have an overall rating of 81.3 via Open Critic with 19 games release thus far.

The quality difference is minimal at best. It simply comes down to which type of games and genres each individual prefers and while I love Sony's games for the most part, I love the variety that I get from Microsoft. Best of all, all of them day one on Game Pass because for the life of me, I will never understand why anyone would want to pay more money for games especially if you know you're only going to play through them once.

So basically, im one Xbox fan who hasn't lost faith or confidence in Microsoft because if I did, I wouldn't still own my Xbox Series X and continue to buy and play games on it. Also, can't wait for their next console in 2026 and hoping they release it with Gears of War: E-Day and Perfect Dark. Easy day one purchase for me. Xbox baby!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Definitely time to get over the MS ports as all indications are they are only going to ramp up. I agree that there are plenty of great games to go around regardless of what platform you game on. But I would temper your expectations about that "next console". Lots of rumors out there and many of them pointing towards a Microsoft fully embracing PC for its hardware moving forward. Of course, there is talk of a handheld as well and Phil Spencer has come pretty close to actually confirming that. I think the days of traditional consoles for MS are done, but we do know there will be hardware of some sort. Their next reveal is going to be interesting, that is certain.

I am at the point of abandoning the "Xbox" console, but won't be jumping to PlayStation. The inevitability of where gaming is heading, PC feels like the best option going forward.
PC still lacks "simplicity" for pick up and play, imo, but it's just something that I will need to get better at, or learn to live with.

Nothing wrong with gaming entirely on PC, but yeah, it will be an adjustment.

Last edited:

peter42O

Neo Member
Definitely time to get over the MS ports as all indications are they are only going to ramp up. I agree that there are plenty of great games to go around regardless of what platform you game on. But I would temper your expectations about that "next console". Lots of rumors out there and many of them pointing towards a Microsoft fully embracing PC for its hardware moving forward. Of course, there is talk of a handheld as well and Phil Spencer has come pretty close to actually confirming that. I think the days of traditional consoles for MS are done, but we do know there will be hardware of some sort. Their next reveal is going to be interesting, that is certain.

I have seen/read the rumors of the next Xbox console possibly having Steam storefront on it which would be cool but at the same time, I don't see it happening because if Steam is on Xbox, why would any third party publisher release a native Xbox version of their games when they could just tell people to buy the Steam version and play that on Xbox which leads to Valve getting the 30% cut instead of Microsoft so I really don't see this working like Microsoft thinks it will. So in the end, just a standard next generation console along with a handheld along side it. Not a hybrid but two individual systems being sold. If Microsoft was smart for at least one thing, they would sell the handheld only in Japan, China and many other regions where Xbox consoles are non-existent but where handhelds excel.

It's definitely going to be interesting and we'll see what happens.

Topher

Gold Member
I have seen/read the rumors of the next Xbox console possibly having Steam storefront on it which would be cool but at the same time, I don't see it happening because if Steam is on Xbox, why would any third party publisher release a native Xbox version of their games when they could just tell people to buy the Steam version and play that on Xbox which leads to Valve getting the 30% cut instead of Microsoft so I really don't see this working like Microsoft thinks it will. So in the end, just a standard next generation console along with a handheld along side it. Not a hybrid but two individual systems being sold. If Microsoft was smart for at least one thing, they would sell the handheld only in Japan, China and many other regions where Xbox consoles are non-existent but where handhelds excel.

It's definitely going to be interesting and we'll see what happens.

Hard to say, but I just can't see Microsoft doing the same thing and expecting different results, especially as they pivot towards third party publishing. My guess is the next "Xbox" will be a PC with the ability to play Xbox console games. So it keeps backward compatibility but is still a PC. The question then is how do they make money. If not a walled garden then they will have to make money on the hardware like with Surface tablets/laptops. Of course, that means very high prices and low sales volume. No idea really. All guesses. We will see.

jcorb

It's a weird situation. They're obviously losing consoles sales, and this all seems to be doubling-down on that, but if their overall revenue is up, then perhaps their thought process is that Xbox needs to leave the traditional gaming market?

If anything, I could honestly see the value of a new "Xbox" that is effectively a pre-built gaming PC, that doesn't *require* a subscription to play games online. Game Pass obviously offers an insane amount of value per dollar (in as much way as "entertainment" can be quantified), but freedom from mandatory subscriptions remains a huge motivator for PC gaming, imo.

ZehDon

Hard to say, but I just can't see Microsoft doing the same thing and expecting different results, especially as they pivot towards third party publishing. My guess is the next "Xbox" will be a PC with the ability to play Xbox console games. So it keeps backward compatibility but is still a PC. The question then is how do they make money. If not a walled garden then they will have to make money on the hardware like with Surface tablets/laptops. Of course, that means very high prices and low sales volume. No idea really. All guesses. We will see.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet their dockable handheld lands close to the same price as your typical console, delivering low-spec versions of "next gen" games on the go or on your TV. In this scenario, I'd bet their big boy console has very impressive specs, but lands well above console pricing. I'd then expect Microsoft to get the price down on their big boy over the following two years to match both PS6's price and specs at launch while having a two year head-start. For both of these consoles, Microsoft would make a profit on the hardware, allowing them to open them up to third party store fronts such as Epic and Steam.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also this gen kind of proves that outside of something incredibly insane like $100 consoles or something, Xbox was never going to beat PlayStation.
Price doesn't determine success in this industry. Video games do.

Xbox launched with no games and still hasn't made better games than PlayStation Studio's games. That's why they are losing.
Sony this gen has been a complete joke and yet they are swimming in sales.
Revisionist history.

Sony has been releasing bangers after bangers this generation as well. They have also built a huge amount of goodwill by consistently releasing high-quality games for decades.

They have also released an excellent, affordable console with actual innovations and the best controller on the market.

You're projecting Xbox woes to PlayStation, which is not the truth.
It all boils down to what lots of people have said this gen, Xbox lost the most important generation, the one where everyone built their digital libraries. So you have two similar systems with equally lackluster next gen libraries and people flock to PlayStation because their PS4 library is there.
The corporate version by Phil. Ditto.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Pretty much this, but I differ on one point.

I think their next "PC" will not have the ability to play "Xbox console games." My guess is that Microsoft currently has a team that is looking into Xbox-exclusive games right now and creating PC versions of all those games.

And it's this team.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...o-game-preservation-and-forward-compatibility

Once they are done with this project, all those Xbox-only games will be playable on PCs, which means they will be playable (forward compatibility) on their next handheld PC system. That's how users' libraries will be carried forward.

In essence, there won't be any "Xbox games" at that point. And when developers release their games, they won't be creating a separate Xbox version of their games. They will simply release a PC version and release it on Steam and Microsoft Store, which will be playable on the MS handheld system.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Remember everyone. The ever increasing PC market doesn't matter...only wars between the shrinking console fanboys is where it's at.

Don't let Phil take you down. Keep The Faith! 🙏

Actually I hope you are filled with despair @#$%& Payback time!!
69427_front.jpg

Last edited:

StueyDuck

When Microsoft/Xbox finally has a true banger again from their internal studios it will be 100% exclusive.

The only reason all these games are going multiplatform is because they just aren't making the profit. It's also why they are changing course of their day 1 first party releases on gamepass.

They'll know internally when they have the next gears or Halo and when that game eventually comes around it'll be the most super exclusive game ever.

But with boreblade2 and an OK looking Indiana Jones game, they aren't setting the world on fire. So why not make extra cash and recoup the costs with other platforms

Last edited:

Woopah

I have no idea why people are upset over games moving from one platform to another.
Because when something isn't exclusive it means they can't use it as ammo in console wars.
Xbox didn’t have exclusives well before GamePass and outside of some extremely small and niche titles, what devs are abandoning Xbox? I mean, even in cases where a publisher might skip Xbox on a release, they don’t skip it on others. As far as the big publishers go anyway.

Also this gen kind of proves that outside of something incredibly insane like $100 consoles or something, Xbox was never going to beat PlayStation. Sony this gen has been a complete joke and yet they are swimming in sales.

I know shitting on GamePass is the cool thing to do on GAF, but Xbox isn’t failing because of GamePass. Xbox was already failing before it came about. GamePass is just one of the Hail Marys MS has tried.

If you remove GamePass, what do you have? You still have Series consoles with lackluster next gen games. Sure, MS might have more software sales, but their hardware sales are less. Do they keep their games off other consoles in this scenario? Nah. Does this scenario change their game output? Nah.

Somy not being a complete joke last gen or this gen is the reason they are so successful right now. They've built a platform that regularly offers high quality / mass appeal games.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Xbox fans have little faith

On the contrary they had a decade’s worth of faith. There’s just so many times one can fail until it’s too much.

Not surprisingly, If Xbox could go back to launch. They would have done exactly what Sony did and remove the drive. Those 2 SKUS were a brilliant cuthroat move by Sony. No one, I mean no one, saw that coming. Meanwhile Microsoft thought they were pretty smart with the Series S at first, probably pretty proud of themselves. Dividing your user base instead of further locking them into your ecosystem, terrible move. Not sure which was worse, Kinec or Series S.

If you are going to create policies to anchor your beast of a console to the series S, maybe don't poke fun of the PS5 Flops and power.

I sort of agree. I would have liked to just go with the Series X myself but I was one of those who didn't like Xbox splitting the userbase with the 360 with the Arcade model and hated the silly Arcade Live limits as a result, never mind forcing so many games to made without the Harddrive early in .

I don't think the Series S was such a bad idea, the worst part, was not giving it the same main RAM as the One X which was dumb IMO and meant you couldn't have those lovely 4K BC features, like playing Orta in 4K like you could even on a One X

Not that I think the Series S was/is the issue. Things were going well 2 to 3 years in, even with the Series S. It just seemed ever since Xbox looked to buy Activision they've played the victim card... stopped pushing and promoting the Xbox with TV ads and moved away from 'talk' of system exclusives. ...

I couldn't carless about Indy going to the PS5 or the likes of Hi-FI rush. It's the talk of Forza or Gears going to PS that isn't a nice look for Xbox

Last edited:
Top Bottom