• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

When you're having to tell your customers to buy your old shit because the new shit just doesn't cut it, you pretty much know you're boned.
Xboned

After seeing the thread where Adam Boyes sent a bunch of PS3 developers customised consoles, I tweeted him with a message to help out the military. He seems like a cool dude so I hope he tries to sort something out. I'm sure Sony could spare a few hundred units at launch to give to the military. Would be a great gesture on their part I think.

Has anyone thought about tweeting Yoshida this article and then suggesting they donate a couple PS4s to all the overseas bases?

Twist that knife!

Ploid 3.0

After seeing the thread where Adam Boyes sent a bunch of PS3 developers customised consoles, I tweeted him with a message to help out the military. He seems like a cool dude so I hope he tries to sort something out. I'm sure Sony could spare a few hundred units at launch to give to the military. Would be a great gesture on their part I think.

Yeah it'll be like USO, entertaining the troops. People do that a lot, the troops provide protection so companies, citizens, and things in the world can thrive. It's a small thing to show appreciation by making their lives better as they put their lives on the line.

Also if there would be a magic xbox that can play offline full time, how would the soldiers get their hands on it? They pretty much buy their own stuff, they buy their own vests, toothbrush, soap, there's no way the army will provide these secret valuable boxes then have them under lock and key so the soldier can't take it home when he leaves. Imagine one of those boxes on ebay. I doubt that box will happen.

Xibalba

Neo Member
I'm waiting for Sony to donate a bunch of PS4's to the military to really stick it to MS

icon_thumbsup.gif

MogCakes

says right here they will have a workaround for them to play so long as game is activated once and no subsequent 24 hour check, they are just not giving details

“Military personnel will be able to take their Xbox One and play their games with them without an issue as long as the game has been ‘activated’ once in the U.S. Your games go with you and play, no issues,” she says.
as long as the game has been ‘activated’ once in the U.S.
‘activated’ once in the U.S.
in the U.S.

You have to physically be in the US and activate your game before you can play them in other countries. The region lock is account based, so no matter where you buy the game, if you don't authenticate it in the US, you can't play it. The online check doesn't help matters when you're on a ship or a base for weeks/months with no internet.

FlyFaster

You know, I'm going to post that 21 states thing all over anyway.

It's time for the Misinformation blitz to start. Some people will see through it but many won't. It's time to play dirty. The future of gaming is at stake.

You have to physically be in the US and activate your game before you can play them in other countries. The region lock is account based, so no matter where you buy the game, if you don't authenticate it in the US, you can't play it. The online check doesn't help matters when you're on a ship or a base for weeks/months with no internet.
Would the military require a Kinect-free version of the bone?

Ploid 3.0

I'm waiting for Sony to donate a bunch of PS4's to the military to really stick it to MS

If they do give the army PS4's it'll hopefully be low key. It's not good to look like you're only supporting just to show off, or just to look good. I believe if sony does this, we'd have to hear about it from the soldiers themselves.

Twitter post (I suck at twitter formats): Wow we got a lot of PS4's in. Finally I'll get to see what my friends are going crazy about!

Would the military require a Kinect-free version of the bone?

Probably not, the kinect won't be allowed in sensitive areas. It will be allowed in the rooms where they can use their laptops to skype for example.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

You know, Sony has people they pay to do their PR for them.

You know, Sony has people they pay to do their PR for them.

And? I actually think it sucks that MS aren't supporting military guys (you should know from UK poligaf that I'm pretty pro-military) and I would like to see Sony pick up the slack. I may not be cut out for a military life but I respect those who are, it's not an easy job and if gaming makes it a bit easier for them to be thousands of miles away from their friends and family I can support that.

Maxxan

MS really needs to fire its PR team and take some long, in-depth meetings where everyone gets on the same page.

Camp Lo

Banned
So I posted about this on twitter and I got this response. I'm dying.

What... the fuck dude. How incomplete is Microsoft with this shit? They need to shut the fuck up across the board at this point. Make another conference when they have their ducks in a row.

Jomjom

Banned
Errr servers in "upcoming years" but will all military even get internet everywhere they are located in the "upcoming years?"

What... the fuck dude. How incomplete is Microsoft with this shit? They need to shut the fuck up across the board at this point. Make another conference when they have their ducks in a row.

Yeah because their last two conferences have shown that they have the capability to get their proverbial ducks in a row...

Nekofrog

Banned
Probably not, the kinect won't be allowed in sensitive areas. It will be allowed in the rooms where they can use their laptops to skype for example.

For those of us who work in classified areas or around COMSEC, it's not unknown to tote in a gaming console for the long shifts that nothing happens on.

This will be literally impossible thanks to the Xbone's always on and always watching.

Roland1979

so they'll buy a PS4. everyone wins.

That's actually very realistic. Entertainment is very important in the military.
I have a buddy who served for a long time and a brother in the Air Forces. That buddy was responsible for a number of things, he always stressed how important entertainment was. Don't forget, it's less of a luxury over there and with less alternatives. Here you don't have many hours per day to spend on them with many people cramped up in a (hot/cold) small space. Here you can turn on your telly. There you have people who actively serve but may be on stand by for long times on end. And if they don't have proper distraction unrests can start, fighting, tensions and bickering. And with many the thinking starts. And some of them have seen or experienced some unpleasant or even horrible things. You don't want them have their minds wandering off for hours upon hours on a day. They can always lay some cards, but there are many stories from WW2 about how SICK they got form playing cards. Most service men here like games like BF, CoD and FIFA. As long as the PS can provide in that the consoles will literately be ordered by the numbers.
But there massage has become a little more clear and friendly now.
Instead of "f*ck you, where gonna screw you over!" it's "don't worry, we're gonna lube you up real good!"

synce

I don't know if it's the age we're living in but this is feeling like it'll be the biggest trainwreck of a console ever.

Errr servers in "upcoming years" but will all military even get internet everywhere they are located in the "upcoming years?"

Right!? I just got back from Afghanistan last month, what the fuck are they going to do there. Thats where the majority of combat operations are taking place right now, or Africa where the internet sucks even more.

Top Bottom