• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Proven

This game makes me angry. It's so close to being my "perfect" game that I could play forever, but then there are these glaring flaws that nearly kill the experience. They could be fixed so easily too. It's just infuriating! I wish that MH wasn't so popular in Japan so maybe Capcom would modernize it. With just a few tweaks...

Anyway, I finally beat Mark of a Hero without carting. I had a few lucky breaks with Ivory Lagi (the only hard part of the quest) so I finally had enough time to whittle down Brach and Rath. I feel no sense of accomplishment though, just relief to be done with that bullshit quest.

The only thing bothering me about this game at this point is drop rates. Sure, I could just be in a really bad unlucky streak, but it's sapped most of my will to play the game over the past 2-3 weeks. Just barely over 100 hours too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The only thing bothering me about this game at this point is drop rates. Sure, I could just be in a really bad unlucky streak, but it's sapped most of my will to play the game over the past 2-3 weeks. Just barely over 100 hours too.

I think trading rarity for rarity (ie; I have my half dozen Zinogre Jaspers, I'd like to trade one for a Rath Ruby, which hasn't dropped for me) would help a lot. That way, when you get lucky where you don't need it, you have the chance to still benefit from it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Do sap plants come from herb spots? I need to make more paintballs, and I have like, a billion paintberries but no sap plants left.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Do sap plants come from herb spots? I need to make more paintballs, and I have like, a billion paintberries but no sap plants left.

Try near the waterfall in Moga Forest. After you have a few, start producing more in the farm. Bomb casings are very important for Tranqs, Flash Bombs, Dung Bombs, etc. Paintballs are probably easier / less expensive to just buy from the market.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Try near the waterfall in Moga Forest. After you have a few, start producing more in the farm. Bomb casings are very important for Tranqs, Flash Bombs, Dung Bombs, etc. Paintballs are probably easier / less expensive to just buy from the market.
Oh, can I produce bomb casings on the farm? I wasn't aware.

I don't really get the contempt for the LS (other than some wrong headed notion that it's too easy to use). I might make a GS for multiplay, but the LS is a great weapon for solo play.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh, can I produce bomb casings on the farm? I wasn't aware.

I don't really get the contempt for the LS (other than some wrong headed notion that it's too easy to use). I might make a GS for multiplay, but the LS is a great weapon for solo play.

Stone (or Iron Ore) + Sap Plant = Bomb Casing. That's where the value of Sap Plants come from.

And yeah, Long Sword as good in multiplayer as other weapons. You don't have to worry about it, so long as you can stop yourself from tripping teammates every five seconds. It's more of a problem when a new player who cares very little about teammates (ie; randoms) just spams his attacks over and over. The same can be said about any weapon, but Long Sword sees a lot of play from newcomers.

thetrin

Stone (or Iron Ore) + Sap Plant = Bomb Casing. That's where the value of Sap Plants come from.

And yeah, Long Sword as good in multiplayer as other weapons. You don't have to worry about it, so long as you can stop yourself from tripping teammates every five seconds. It's more of a problem when a new player who cares very little about teammates (ie; randoms) just spams his attacks over and over. The same can be said about any weapon, but Long Sword sees a lot of play from newcomers.
Well, it has a very low barrier for entry as far as decent dmg weapons go. I used to use a hammer in 2nd G, but I've been using LS in 3U and I love it.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't played MonHun in so long that I've forgotten a lot of basic stuff.

Also, 2 questions: when does a day change in regard to Moga forecasts, and is the forecast persistent across play sessions?

Beats

Also, 2 questions: when does a day change in regard to Moga forecasts, and is the forecast persistent across play sessions?

You have to be in Moga Woods for at least 2 minutes (if i remember correctly) for the day to change. I'm not sure about the second part of your question though.

That's my girlfriend all the way. Weird thing is though. We got into a group with two randoms, and all of a sudden there's no more discharges or anything from her. I'm just getting upswinged and super pounded every 30 seconds from the others. Good thing I had kickboxer though ;) I kicked the shit out of both of them.

This is probably one of the greatest 'out of context' posts I've ever seen.

Ridley327

Played some H. Jhen quests with some Spaniards; that guy was crapping out Dragonsphires left and right for me.

And yet, the one Allbrace I need to complete that armor set is elusive.

You can buy sap plants from the Granny merchant in the Marina. You can simply buy bomb casings from her too. I didn't realize this until I had played for like 100 hours. You're welcome.

Schwabe

Yeah, i know. I'm not great at the game myself, but i know which part to hit. Though i do sometimes struggle to get to the head with the hammer. I also use Long Sword, or 'easy mode' as i call it.

easy to use? maybe, but hard to master as it seems ;) or why are there so many complaints? ;)

Mileena

Banned
How the hell is LS easier than other weapons. You guys need to redirect your hate to dual swords users. Seems just as brainless and does less damage. Also trips the shit out of me.

Hoodbury

You can buy sap plants from the Granny merchant in the Marina. You can simply buy bomb casings from her too. I didn't realize this until I had played for like 100 hours. You're welcome.

Ya, easily the most efficient way to get Sap plants. She has them on her sale day for 12 zenny a piece I think. Just load up on them when she has her sale rotation.

LS is definitely the simplest weapon to do well with. So easy to cut with and it's pretty quick, and keeping purple up the whole quest does monster damage. I think SnS is the best, though.

King_Moc

Banned
How the hell is LS easier than other weapons. You guys need to redirect your hate to dual swords users. Seems just as brainless and does less damage. Also trips the shit out of me.

I get it from them too. Another very easy class to use as well. Quite good fun though.

Mondriaan

I dunno. I think arc shot spammers annoy me the most, but maybe that's because I haven't run into pellet shot rapid fire spammers yet.

Hattori

Banned
I haven't used longswords past the village quest/high rank level. The same with dual swords, LS is hard to master. I have to consciously go to the other side of a fallen monster just to avoid other people, and doing that you sometimes lose your chance to hit it with a spirit combo/demon dance.

Satch

Banned
everybody should just use hammers

it is the god of all weapons

iLtsH6f5dSpLP.gif
tenderizer
iLtsH6f5dSpLP.gif

Just in case there are other stupid people besides me - you can hit right to set the buy/sell amount straight to 99. Took me long enough to notice.

Also, Green Plesioth still sucks.

Mondriaan

Finally finished soloing every arena quest with each weapon. Jesus. Never again.
In the PSP games, all the (non-event) training school arena quests were solo only, so it's definitely less solo stuff to slog through to pick up the ear rings in this game.

Narga hunting horn is actually kind of fun. Narga arena is somewhat reminiscent of the tigrex arena in freedom 2 and unite.

explodet

Just in case there are other stupid people besides me - you can hit right to set the buy/sell amount straight to 99. Took me long enough to notice.
And when combining, you don't need to press A for each combined item you want to make. Hold down A and it will rapidly combine the items for you.

I love how these bits of information are old to some people, and completely new to even veterans.

thetrin

Thanks! I keep forgetting that the merchants in Tanzia sell more/different stuff than what's in Moga.

Satch

Banned

And when combining, you don't need to press A for each combined item you want to make. Hold down A and it will rapidly combine the items for you.

I love how these bits of information are old to some people, and completely new to even veterans.

after 200 hours.........................

i had no clue

But then we wouldn't have any tails.

then they can pick up switchaxe on the side
iLtsH6f5dSpLP.gif

DoubleTap

I'm surprised that this unknown to some people, because I always hit right to buy items for my Pouch to fill the allowed amount automatically.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hello everyone,

I've just got into this game on the DS. I perused the thread a bit I'm goign to have a more thorough look when I'm home but any recommendations for weapons?

As of right now I tried the long sword but didn't like it too much and then tried to the bagpipe? I've enjoyed that one a ton.

Fuck Solo Alatreon.

Fuck him, fuck his three elements no one good armor can cover, fuck ballistas that i am too afraid to gather and use.

Once again, i have been humbled.

God i hope there is a future online event where i can play him online. With my companions dying so quick, not having distractions means you have to play insanely safe or burn through potions to fast, and have trouble breaking parts like the wings and head, which require very specific timing to hit.

In tri, i got to enjoy 4 people carrying flash bombs for when he takes flight, having to time and make them all myself sucks.

Ugh, got home with my Wii U system and MH3U 20 minutes ago, you guys weren't kidding about the 6gb update?! =[ At least this gamepad controls my directv.. Can't wait to play this game =[

thetrin

Ugh, got home with my Wii U system and MH3U 20 minutes ago, you guys weren't kidding about the 6gb update?! =[ At least this gamepad controls my directv.. Can't wait to play this game =[

There was a 6GB update? It went by in just a few minutes for me, I thought it was just a few megs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

If you got the digital version the patch is included.
iLtsH6f5dSpLP.gif

Willectro

Banned
I'm only about 10 hours into the 3DS version, which is my first MH. Some of the systems and design decisions are so genius, but others are beyond atrocious. It's a real love/hate balance at this point. I do feel compelled to keep playing though.

I'm only about 10 hours into the 3DS version, which is my first MH. Some of the systems and design decisions are so genius, but others are beyond atrocious. It's a real love/hate balance at this point. I do feel compelled to keep playing though.

Small tip. Go gather 10 honey everytime you are in the Deserted Island to make mega potions with until you can make them at your farm.

Willectro

Banned
Small tip. Go gather 10 honey everytime you are in the Deserted Island to make mega potions with until you can make them at your farm.

Haha, yea that's one thing I've been trying to keep up with. Makes your life a lot easier. There is a ton of things going on in this game.

Riposte

I'm surprised how competent "Hunter's Notes" stuff is. Never looked at it until after I needed it (though move list is still handy). Also the "manual" feature on Wii U is neat in general.

Mondriaan

Fuck Solo Alatreon.
Yeah, solo alatreon is harder than Mark of a Hero.

I easy-moded my way through that quest with delicious awakened kelbi bow cheese and the ledge behind where alatreon is when the quest begins. I suppose if you're good enough, you could keep using the ledge till it dies, but my ledges don't tend to last more than a minute or two, so you may need to be able to survive alat sans ledge. It took me about 25 minutes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hello everyone,

I've just got into this game on the DS. I perused the thread a bit I'm goign to have a more thorough look when I'm home but any recommendations for weapons?

As of right now I tried the long sword but didn't like it too much and then tried to the bagpipe? I've enjoyed that one a ton.

Hunting Horn is a good weapon. It tends to have lower damage output than some, but the buffs make up for it. It's a weapon everyone will love you for if you play multiplayer, spreading unlimited stamina and boost all around. It is a blunt weapon though and won't cut (the other weapon like this is the Hammer), but can Knockout monsters (they will fall over stunned with stars above their head) if you hit their head enough.

If you're going to be using Hunting Horns, look at the songs they can play (every HH path is different) and you may prefer to focus on something with status over raw power. If you want to use another slow weapon with a bit more power, Great Sword fits that bill. Try everything and don't feel like you need to stick with only one weapon.

Rize_21

Alatreon will be available in a DLC quest right?
I made his bow,and to upgrade it,you need no more,no less than 5 palliums for the rare -10.Eh.Ah ah ah ah!ah ah ah...ah ah... :'(

Arveene

Neo Member
Fuck Solo Alatreon.

Fuck him, fuck his three elements no one good armor can cover, fuck ballistas that i am too afraid to gather and use.

Once again, i have been humbled.

God i hope there is a future online event where i can play him online. With my companions dying so quick, not having distractions means you have to play insanely safe or burn through potions to fast, and have trouble breaking parts like the wings and head, which require very specific timing to hit.

In tri, i got to enjoy 4 people carrying flash bombs for when he takes flight, having to time and make them all myself sucks.

A few tips. Using a Farcaster (bring mats for more) and sleeping at camp will revive your companions. Bring 2x LBB+ and mats to make 10 more. Every time you bind him or get him stuck in a wall, bomb something. Slot in Bombardier. Personally, I found myself only getting hit by his dragon attack occasionally. If you watch your positioning, you should never get hit by his fire attack. His ice attacks are fairly slow and easy to dodge. The biggest attacks to be concerned about are his dragon and lightning attacks. The aoe lightning around him is avoided by not overextending and playing cautiously. I believe that going back to camp and resting will put him back on the ground so you can avoid his aerial attacks that way. I've never actually done the farcaster + rest thing so I'm not 100% sure. I just know what I've read on other sites. His lightning claw attack causes tremor which can be a pain in the ass, but if you keep rolling away from it you won't get caught. I haven't tested this, but I don't know if they nerfed flash bombs or just made him immune while enraged. I swear I've landed some near perfect flashes on him that do nothing.

Alatreon will be available in a DLC quest right?
I made his bow,and to upgrade it,you need no more,no less than 5 palliums for the rare -10.Eh.Ah ah ah ah!ah ah ah...ah ah... :'(

Palliums should be common drops off of him. Plates are too. It's the skypiercers and webbings that are rare.

Quadratic

I've been playing solo so far on the 3DS. Have a full set of Agnaktor armour. Playing LS. About 80 hours logged. Not yet finished the 5 star quests. Should I go all the way and complete the game before getting into the online on the Wii U? I'm still HR1. Does it take a bit of adjustment to play on the pad controller? Should I switch to a less spammy weapon that can trip up others? I can go back to S&S. Should I not worry and just jump into some newbie rooms?

Hoodbury

I've been playing solo so far on the 3DS. Have a full set of Agnaktor armour. Playing LS. About 80 hours logged. Not yet finished the 5 star quests. Should I go all the way and complete the game before getting into the online on the Wii U? I'm still HR1. Does it take a bit of adjustment to play on the pad controller? Should I switch to a less spammy weapon that can trip up others? I can go back to S&S. Should I not worry and just jump into some newbie rooms?

You should just jump into some GAF rooms.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

My friend, who had played on her 3DS solely, came over last weekend and tried it on the Wii U. Seemed like it was a smooth switch for her. I will say, don't forget to switch the ZL/ZR option so they act like the L/R buttons.

And don't be afraid to play Long Sword online. If you trip someone a few times, just say sorry in text chat, or over mic. People are pretty forgiving. Even more so on the GAF server, so JOOOOOOOIN US

Top Bottom