• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

Woke up unexpectedly early, so I played for a bit. And so many crazy things happened.

- While waiting for Zinogre to get inside a pitfall trap (which he took forever to) so I can finish the quest, Cha-Cha's boomerang cut his tail off
- In Double Trouble, Rathalos tried to bite me right next to Rathian who was flying, and it made her fall down (a Jaggi later made her flinch too)
- Later, Rathian did a tail flip that made Rathalos fall down, in the same quest
- Then I had to pause the game to do something, and my 3DS fell down too. In the same quest.

Also starting to get used to the Gunlance, it's really fun and really disorienting when I use a lance afterwards. I only have a Flamethrower+, though, ugh. I don't know if I have it in me to start working on getting more elements, it's tedious enough just to get the fire one up. I don't even have ice lance or GS yet because of stupid Amber Tusk+. If my Wii U would arrive already, it would be so much easier :(

Anura

Woke up unexpectedly early, so I played for a bit. And so many crazy things happened.

- While waiting for Zinogre to get inside a pitfall trap (which he took forever to) so I can finish the quest, Cha-Cha's boomerang cut his tail off
- In Double Trouble, Rathalos tried to bite me right next to Rathian who was flying, and it made her fall down (a Jaggi later made her flinch too)
- Later, Rathian did a tail flip that made Rathalos fall down, in the same quest
- Then I had to pause the game to do something, and my 3DS fell down too. In the same quest.

Also starting to get used to the Gunlance, it's really fun and really disorienting when I use a lance afterwards. I only have a Flamethrower+, though, ugh. I don't know if I have it in me to start working on getting more elements, it's tedious enough just to get the fire one up. I don't even have ice lance or GS yet because of stupid Amber Tusk+. If my Wii U would arrive already, it would be so much easier :(

Ironically gunlace is also really good at making monsters fall out of the sky

Insaniac

get the event quest item marquis blazon or whatever its called gunlance its much much better than the starting gunlances, it has no element but gives a good defense boost and has a high shot level

Also, daww I missed the MH today :(

Had a great time hunting with Billy, Selenae and Shin yesterday. I originally only joined in to do a mission or two, but before I knew it, I ended up doing ten of 'em. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and I'll definitely be back for more in the future.

Had a great time hunting with Billy, Selenae and Shin yesterday. I originally only joined in to do a mission or two, but before I knew it, I ended up doing ten of 'em. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and I'll definitely be back for more in the future.

Did you make it to HR7? Would have stayed around for it but I was getting tired.

tuffy

Great hunting everyone =D, Festwill you will be pleased I have acquired a full set of G-Rank Agna armour =D... Still get hit pretty hard by G-Rank monsters though lol

Thanks for the help to the peeps that was helping me farm Agna XD, played waaaay too late after Festwill left XD
Glad I could help! Did you max out your armor with spheres yet? All G-Rank stuff hits pretty hard, but a full load of Tru Spheres is a big help.
Yea that was fun playing with you guys even if I never did get a lagi mantle and had to leave the room for dinner and stuff.
Life does sort of intrude like that, so I know the feeling. I see there's a 2 Ivory Lagi advanced quest which might be a good source, but it's in the Flooded Forest which is all kinds of awful.
Also, daww I missed the MH today :(
We'll just have to try again!

Glad I could help! Did you max out your armor with spheres yet? All G-Rank stuff hits pretty hard, but a full load of Tru Spheres is a big help.

Life does sort of intrude like that, so I know the feeling. I see there's a 2 Ivory Lagi advanced quest which might be a good source, but it's in the Flooded Forest which is all kinds of awful.

We'll just have to try again!
Not yet lol, gonna have to mine some more Tru Spheres lol, and be sure to post in this thread next meet up lol. Gonna need to make another armor that helps against water attacks lol.

But for now I'm happy, I finally got a G-Rank armour that is beneficial for switch axe user =D. Gonna attempt to finish all the village quests now, too bad they only go up to high rank though =/

tuffy

Not yet lol, gonna have to mine some more Tru Spheres lol, and be sure to post in this thread next meet up lol. Gonna need to make another armor that helps against water attacks lol.
Flutterflies from Flooded Forest or Meldspar Ore from Volcano can be combined with Armor Stones sold by Granny (occasionally) to make more Tru Spheres also, in case you have trouble mining the spheres outright. Selling a bunch of excess Volcano ores is also a pretty good source of z.
But for now I'm happy, I finally got a G-Rank armour that is beneficial for switch axe user =D. Gonna attempt to finish all the village quests now, too bad they only go up to high rank though =/
I still haven't finished "Mark of a Hero", now that you mention it. But yeah, a G-Rank Village tier would be good to have. I can't imagine anyone wants to farm Port-strength G-Rank monsters solo when hunts take 20 minutes apiece.

Cerity

Hehe, schooling duramboros with the hammer now. Easy fight once you stop being cautious. The windup charge is such a godsend with the hammer.

Fistwell

Great hunting everyone =D, Festwill you will be pleased I have acquired a full set of G-Rank Agna armour =D... Still get hit pretty hard by G-Rank monsters though lol

Thanks for the help to the peeps that was helping me farm Agna XD, played waaaay too late after Festwill left XD
Sweet baby jeesus you guys played till 5 in the morning!? O_O

If my Wii U would arrive already, it would be so much easier :(
Cool, let's play together when you get it!

after 60+ kills and 30+caps I finally got a Diablos Hardhorn.

now I only need 5? more. :(
Yeah, as already mentioned, plain dangerous drops them fairly frequently. Even got 3 in a single hunt once, but that's definitely not the norm. :)

Sweet baby jeesus you guys played till 5 in the morning!? O_O
Yeah lol, alternating between hunting the Ivory Lagi, Agna and a random quest XD
http://kiranico.com/ (the more people know about this the better lol)

I'm gonna be online in a few, want to do the super event quests.

I HEARD THERE IS A NEW SUPER LUCENT NARGACUGA

That site is awesome, helps out incredibly when checking for carve rates etc.

Ohhhh, the old lady is finally selling some rare items.

I now have a huge stock of Armor Stones! 8)

(you might need to download the Extra DLCs)

tuffy

It's worth repeating that Armor Stones can be combined into any of the Armor Spheres, usually with materials that are more common than mining the spheres outright.

This is important because the Volcano is the only place to mine Tru Spheres directly, but that's not available like all the other harvest tours when you first get to G rank. So combining is the way to go, and Flutterflies from the G rank Flooded Forest are easier to harvest than Meldspar from the Sandy Plains. And even when the Volcano becomes available, Meldspar is more common from mining spots than Tru Spheres.

So having a bunch of Armor Stones around is pretty handy for getting a new set of armor maxed out. But it comes up often enough in Granny's rotation that I've never felt the need to buy hundreds of the things at once.

upandaway

"You want, lessee, Jasper and Shocker+? Look here man, I can give you the Jasper part, that's cool. But Shocker+? Come on, that's worth millions. You'll have to work for that one."

Meesh

Edit: Still stuck on Brachydios Mio! urgent, :lol.

Gonna upgrade my Plesi GL and hope for the best..

Or use my nearly maxed out blue sharpenss Cataclysm Blade..
Yeah same, I'd really like to know how some of these guys are toppling da Brach. Incidentally, does anyone find they play more local or online?

SuperSah

Banned
Yeah same, I'd really like to know how some of these guys are toppling da Brach. Incidentally, does anyone find they play more local or online?

I can beat down 8* Village Brachy fine, but the 3* HR one has double health and more damage, so it's a bit tougher.

Also, on 3DS so it has to be done solo for me as I have no local MH3U players. :(

Gattuso

I really have a hard time doing a lot of the port versions of the same quests by myself so I play mostly online. I'm glad I have a Wii U with that version of the game since I think I'm the only person in my neighborhood that even has a 3DS and all my friends just have Xboxes so I didn't feel I needed it on my 3DS.

Dizzy-4U

Finally found a useful skill, perception. It was very hard for me to tell when a monster was ready for capture. That poor Ludroth died on me like 6 times. Maybe useless for advanced players, but great for beginners.

By the way, just to make it clear, a skill must be +10 or -10 to be active, correct? If I have hunger -8 it doesn't mean anything, right?

I'm going online in a few hours, hope to see some gaffers there.

Anura

Finally found a useful skill, perception. It was very hard for me to tell when a monster was ready for capture. That poor Ludroth died on me like 6 times. Maybe useless for advanced players, but great for beginners.

By the way, just to make it clear, a skill must be +10 or -10 to be active, correct? If I have hunger -8 it doesn't mean anything, right?

I'm going online in a few hours, hope to see some gaffers there.

It's useful for long time players too

A lot of the times good players get a feel of when a monster is ready but during multi monster quests they can die REALLY fast so it's pretty great there

And yeah +/-10 or you get nothing

tuffy

The left-hand side of the third "Status" page (that looks a bit like a skill point spreadsheet broken down by armor piece) shows the amount of positive or negative points to activate a skill. But in this case, -8 hunger does nothing so there's no worry.

Dizzy-4U

It's useful for long time players too

A lot of the times good players get a feel of when a monster is ready but during multi monster quests they can die REALLY fast so it's pretty great there

And yeah +/-10 or you get nothing
I see, so if I'm playing online and I have perception on, which signal is the one I should give to indicate my teammates? The circle one?

The left-hand side of the third "Status" page (that looks a bit like a skill point spreadsheet broken down by armor piece) shows the amount of positive or negative points to activate a skill. But in this case, -8 hunger does nothing so there's no worry.
Yeah, I started recenltly going a little more in depth with how this game works and not just craft crap by how it looks. I also downloaded a very useful youtube video showing exacly what every skill does (username was Iceman I think). So yeah, I'm slowly getting there.

tuffy

I see, so if I'm playing online and I have perception on, which signal is the one I should give to indicate my teammates? The circle one?
The trouble with using the signals is that it may not be obvious what you're signaling for to everyone else. They're often just used to signify that you're in the same room as the monster when everyone else is off in different rooms.

A surer way is to back off from the fight and type "cap" (or something to that effect) on a keyboard so everyone know it's time. Simply laying down a trap is also usually enough to let experienced hunters know to back off and get ready to capture, but a text message may be important if they haven't seen the monster limp yet.

FlyFaster

let other players know before the hunt that you want to cap.

that way when it's ready and you simply type "cap" or "ready" everyone will know.

Most of the time people will understand anyway, but it's always a good idea to communicate before the hunt, and get everyone on the same page.

Anura

let other players know before the hunt that you want to cap.

that way when it's ready and you simply type "cap" or "ready" everyone will know.

Most of the time people will understand anyway, but it's always a good idea to communicate before the hunt, and get everyone on the same page.[/QUOTE

This

And Along with the getting everyone on the same page like the quoted text suggest I would suggest turning one of your shout outs into "time to cap!" Or something of its ilk

In a good group monster go from cap ready to carve ready in seconds so it helps to be fast with the message

SuperSah

Banned
Capping a Monster is too easy. Or maybe I play too much.. lol.

Recommend a good water weapon for Bracy Mio! please?

I'm doubting my dragon Neo Undertaker's
sufficient enough. :(

tuffy

Capping a Monster is too easy. Or maybe I play too much.. lol.
It can also be a big time saver, especially against monsters with big HP pools like Snarf.
Recommend a good water weapon for Bracy Mio! please?

I'm doubting my dragon Neo Undertaker's
sufficient enough. :(
Brachy takes very little dragon damage, so you'll likely want something out of the Plesioth line and make sure to hit him in the head or horn. I couldn't say if any particular melee weapon is more effective than another, though.

Chuckpebble

Holy shit! Just completed G-Rank Splash Damage with a Gobul intruder, killing both monsters with 5 seconds on the clock!
Success.jpg

SuperSah

Banned
It can also be a big time saver, especially against monsters with big HP pools like Snarf.

Brachy takes very little dragon damage, so you'll likely want something out of the Plesioth line and make sure to hit him in the head or horn. I couldn't say if any particular melee weapon is more effective than another, though.

I hate Snarf. I can't execute that bomb technique well against him either.

I'll try with a Plesi GL, i'll attack his legs, trip him and go for the head.

Super Brachy is insane, fuck him.

Are you serious? One of the most fun fights in the game. This is closer to what MH1 used to feel like to me and I missed it dearly. Feels so much better besting him than the regular quests where monsters seem to be made out of cardboard when you're with a full party. Also, the hammer you can get from that quest is pretty nice (for the raw damage, not for the healing effect it has when you hit people with it).

If you're going back to it, try to wear him down to where he finally gets hungry. Then start trapping him and beat the shit out of him. Don't use any traps before he gets hungry because his tolerance to them will increase and he will get out of them quicker. Fastest I've done it with a full party was about 20 minutes but it can probably be done faster.

tuffy

Holy shit! Just completed G-Rank Splash Damage with a Gobul intruder, killing both monsters with 5 seconds on the clock!
That is awesome.
I hate Snarf. I can't execute that bomb technique well against him either.
I've never even attempted the bomb technique, or the tainted meat baits against Deviljho, or even the frog baits against Gobul. I spend so much time making sure I've got the right bowgun for the monster, and the right ammo loads for the bowgun, and combination items for more ammo, and enough potions and drinks, that bringing along other helper items completely slips my mind every single time.

Meesh

I can beat down 8* Village Brachy fine, but the 3* HR one has double health and more damage, so it's a bit tougher.

Also, on 3DS so it has to be done solo for me as I have no local MH3U players. :(
Gotcha, my biggest hang up with him is the event quest: "Super Brach"(as it were.) Maybe Im a little to greedy/eager to get in an extra hit. Probably need to dial it down a tab and throw in a little evasion. Using G Ala armor + maxed demon binder.

Are you serious? One of the most fun fights in the game. This is closer to what MH1 used to feel like to me and I missed it dearly. Feels so much better besting him than the regular quests where monsters seem to be made out of cardboard when you're with a full party. Also, the hammer you can get from that quest is pretty nice (for the raw damage, not for the healing effect it has when you hit people with it).

If you're going back to it, try to wear him down to where he finally gets hungry. Then start trapping him and beat the shit out of him. Don't use any traps before he gets hungry because his tolerance to them will increase and he will get out of them quicker. Fastest I've done it with a full party was about 20 minutes but it can probably be done faster.
I agree, it's fun and challenging, but exhausting too, sometimes you manage to survive for 30 minutes then your party starts falling apart and you fail. LOL :(

He has that OHKO attack (the physical attack, not the explosion) that gets me every time.

I made a custom set to fight him:

Gobulaluku Aquir (Paralyze Lance)
Antiseptic
Guard +2
Guard Boost
Capture Guru
Status Atk +1

SuperSah

Banned
Gotcha, my biggest hang up with him is the event quest: "Super Brach"(as it were.) Maybe Im a little to greedy/eager to get in an extra hit. Probably need to dial it down a tab and throw in a little evasion. Using G Ala armor + maxed demon binder.

I think my issue is I don't evade enough. I kinda feel constrained by the time and go full force as my previous attempt timed out.

I need to think more strategically. I even bring three traps with me every time..

upandaway

Ice Agnaktor is so much fun. It blows my mind how they turned the fight into something I'm enjoying a lot more, just by reversing one tiny mechanic.

In the end on average he's hardened more often than the normal Agnaktor, so I'll probably get sick of it eventually, but damn if it isn't fun right now. It works out so well that I'm starting to wonder if the lava Agnaktor is the subspecies here.

isual

just bought a 3ds xl and monster hunter 3 ultimate .

question . is the data saved in the cartridge or in the sd card of the 3dsxl that comes along with it ?

SuperSah

Banned
just bought a 3ds xl and monster hunter 3 ultimate .

question . is the data saved in the cartridge or in the sd card of the 3dsxl that comes along with it ?

Depends where your game is, is it a retail copy or digital? Digital saves are obviously on the SD and vice versa.

Ice Agnaktor is so much fun. It blows my mind how they turned the fight into something I'm enjoying a lot more, just by reversing one tiny mechanic.

In the end on average he's hardened more often than the normal Agnaktor, so I'll probably get sick of it eventually, but damn if it isn't fun right now. It works out so well that I'm starting to wonder if the lava Agnaktor is the subspecies here.

I love Agnaktor, he's such a fun fight, it's damn awesome. It's challenging but not enough to put you off playing for sure.

Top Bottom