• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

It sucks because it's such a stupid way to play, but you really have to save when you get a prediction of 6-7 star monsters (before going out to the forest), and then go kill/cap the monsters and reload the game (and repeat the hunt) when you don't get what you want.

Playing it normally will mean taking three or four times longer to get those rare trades, which might be fine if you're also grinding for that stupid one million resource points award.
That sucks. I'd rather just skip on the armor than reset though, honestly now.

progress more through HR? I'm just about to fight the Zinogre (7* urgent ) and my forecast for the next few days is;

Quro/G.Baggi
Quro/Brachydios
Quro/Duramboros

I probably would have finished the village quests by now except I decided to go and get all the LR hammers.
Maybe it's just me then. I've finished the Deviljho quest and the past 6 days that I can recall are all Qurupeco/Crimson (the next 2 days are one Arzuros and then Arzuros/Volvi). It's completely useless.

Gattuso

Spent the entire day farming ‎Lagiacrus for some mantles and only came back with one. I like how it seems like the things you don't need at that point in time you always seem to get but the things you want now the game just refuses to give up.

Qurupeke

Spent the entire day farming ‎Lagiacrus for some mantles and only came back with one. I like how it seems like the things you don't need at that point in time you always seem to get but the things you want now the game just refuses to give up.

I consider Lagi's armors the most difficult to make. They need a ton of rare staff and the underwater battles are just super annoying. I don't even know why I made some of them. I remember searchin for Duramboros horns+, mantles,plates and I think gold ceadeus fur for the G Ivory lagi.

Alrus

I remember hunting for Lagi Horn+ and getting sapphires and plates out the wazoo and no horns. I was frustrated and happy at the same time.

Didn't help that I hate fighting Lagiacrus. His gear looks so good though :/

upandaway

I just got the Brachy lance, can anyone explain the slime to me for a sec?

Like, I get that I can still upgrade it once in HR, but I tried to do Baggi and it barely did any damage compared to the good stuff. Am I doing something wrong? How much do the explosions do?

tuffy

The general idea with slime is that each hit builds up some slime effect on the monster, a bit like how hitting it with enough poison effect will cause it to become poisoned for awhile. The difference is that with slime, enough of the effect causes an explosion similar to a large barrel bomb. It works best when applied quickly and is well-suited for breaking parts. But I believe monsters also develop resistance to it each time it's applied, like other status effects.

upandaway

What's a good number for the slime attribute? Like, how many explosions am I supposed to be getting per large monster?

I know with status it's 2-3 usually

isual

I'm a MH vet since the ps2 era , played up to MHFU on psp.

Is it still the best strategy to finish all the village quests before moving up to guild quests ?

tuffy

What's a good number for the slime attribute? Like, how many explosions am I supposed to be getting per large monster?
I'm curious about this myself. I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with slime since the guns aren't very good at it.
Is it still the best strategy to finish all the village quests before moving up to guild quests ?
I wound up doing all the low rank Village quests and nearly all of the high rank ones before ever going online, but I didn't have any previous Monster Hunter experience and needed all the practice I could get. So it was a good strategy for me, at any rate.

Anura

I know with status it's 2-3 usually

Slime will explode quite a bit, more than other status it seems

It's a better idea to pay attention to when it's about to blow than how much. It goes green then yellow then red then kaboom. When it's about to blow Start attacking a part that you want staggered like the legs or a part you want broken

Bulbasaur

Banned
I can't decide which is the absolute best graphical feature in the game. I'm leaning towards the tap handles on the water barrel next to the cat eatery in the online hub. It's so N64 I love it.

centracore

Any advice for someone who just made it to single player high rank (what's a good weapon / armor to farm for first)? I was only able to kill the high rank Purple Ludroth and Rathian by the skin of my teeth.. on top of that each fight took close to half an hour - not very efficient for farming!

Qurupeke

Any advice for someone who just made it to single player high rank (what's a good weapon / armor to farm for first)? I was only able to kill the high rank Purple Ludroth and Rathian by the skin of my teeth.. on top of that each fight took close to half an hour - not very efficient for farming!

Jaggi ftw

Evade Extender is so good on Switch Axe. My biggest annoyance was the crappy sidestep, but EE fixes that. <3
I'll need that lol.

We should meet up and StreetPass. :33333
Lol won't be much use Streetpassing XD, luckily MH4 is online, so wait till that lmao. Unless you get a Wii U before than.

All I know is I need to play online with Festwill and Tuffy slightly more to get that VE Platinum ticket =D

Gattuso

when not knowing what a monster's weakness is and not being able to look it up, is it a good idea to use the armor weaknesses and strengths as a reference for what weapon i should be using against it?

Anura

I'll need that lol.

Lol won't be much use Streetpassing XD, luckily MH4 is online, so wait till that lmao. Unless you get a Wii U before than.

All I know is I need to play online with Festwill and Tuffy slightly more to get that VE Platinum ticket =D

This reminds me! Who else is getting MH4? I'm going to need people I understand to play with me

tuffy

when not knowing what a monster's weakness is and not being able to look it up, is it a good idea to use the armor weaknesses and strengths as a reference for what weapon i should be using against it?
That should work just fine. I can't think of any instances where a monster is weak to some element but its armor isn't, or the other way around. The two should always correlate according to the game's logic.
This reminds me! Who else is getting MH4? I'm going to need people I understand to play with me
I'm waiting for the localization, which hopefully won't take too long.

Gattuso

That should work just fine. I can't think of any instances where a monster is weak to some element but its armor isn't, or the other way around. The two should always correlate according to the game's logic.
Great, since i don't have much in terms of variety as far as elemental weapons go, i try to make the most of the ones i do have by looking at the matching armor.

ajim

Do you leave the tablet controller on the floor? Do any cables/wires end up running across the screen?

I've personally found that if you let any cables sit on top of that controller's screen, the buttons on the classic controller pro stop working (until you move the cables), but I had figured it was possibly just my system.

Possibly, though I never really touch the tablet controller - only use the Classic Controller.

But it works now after a few reboots and leaving the game off for awhile!

Quite weird.

tuffy

I have nobody. I'm solo on 3DS, so I'm stumped.
I recommend the Evade Extender skill to help get you out of Brachy's blast zones. Shock and pitfall traps are other obvious tactics to slow him down for free attacks. And finally, just keep shooting him in the face or tail base whenever he's not pointing at you or getting ready to lunge.

SuperSah

Banned
I recommend the Evade Extender skill to help get you out of Brachy's blast zones. Shock and pitfall traps are other obvious tactics to slow him down for free attacks. And finally, just keep shooting him in the face or tail base whenever he's not pointing at you or getting ready to lunge.

Gonna attempt it with Plesi DS's.

I'll report back shortly..

Gonna attempt it with Plesi DS's.

I'll report back shortly..
If that weapon doesn't work use a weapon that can block the explosives, make sure you get some fire resistance as well.
There's no shame in leaving the area when Brachydios is charged up. Just leave for a little bit and engage him back again when he's calmed down.
Yep. And try to bring the Cha-cha and Kayamba if soloing, so Brachy doesn't focuses all attack on you only.

Gotta say Brachy is like the wake up call to Hunters lol, first time you take him on is like a warning not to be complacent.

Oh and if peeps haven't booked mark this page, monster's weakness etc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgL2wY-zRNEpdGFKYm9Fck9rX0ZRZDVhRnhWTk1tZHc#gid=0

Edit: OTT of MH4 let's hope it's cross-region servers again for Eu/NA players, would hate to lose the awesome NA hunters I've played in this OT.

SuperSah

Banned
AWWWWW YESSSSS.

BRACHYDIOS MIO IS DOWN! :D

Plesioth DS WIN.

happy-west-virginia-college-football-fan-2012.gif

Got a RustShard AND a GEM in rewards! Holy shit!

Hey don't kill his hype too quickly! Let him enjoy it while he can

Good job Supersah!
Just telling him, so that he upgrades his water element weapons lol. But you've gotta admire his spirit for persevering this long solo, Monster Hunter really becomes addicting like crazy with other players, as long as you can meet long enough.

Top Bottom