• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

isual

Depends where your game is, is it a retail copy or digital? Digital saves are obviously on the SD and vice versa.

I love Agnaktor, he's such a fun fight, it's damn awesome. It's challenging but not enough to put you off playing for sure.

the font is just horrible , even after turning off the 3d .

kinda feeling that I should have gotten a wii u just for this....

tuffy

The Wii U font is smaller than it should be and its framerate is a bit lower, but it makes up for it with online multiplayer.

Still, you can transfer your 3DS save to the Wii U version (or back again) if you do decide to pick up a Wii U down the line.

SuperSah

Banned

Font's due to a layering issue Capcom had. It looks fine once you get used to it. Investing in a console for one game is not worth it at all.

3DS has a nice frame rate as a bonus, the text is too small on Wii U also. It's a mixed-bag. You'll get used to it. It looks okay to me now after months of playing. :)

Anura

Ice Agnaktor is so much fun. It blows my mind how they turned the fight into something I'm enjoying a lot more, just by reversing one tiny mechanic.

In the end on average he's hardened more often than the normal Agnaktor, so I'll probably get sick of it eventually, but damn if it isn't fun right now. It works out so well that I'm starting to wonder if the lava Agnaktor is the subspecies here.

Really? I find both of them to be boring... Eh different strokes I guess

Font's due to a layering issue Capcom had. It looks fine once you get used to it. Investing in a console for one game is not worth it at all.

3DS has a nice frame rate as a bonus, the text is too small on Wii U also. It's a mixed-bag. You'll get used to it. It looks okay to me now after months of playing. :)

The Wonderful 101 will be worth it ;P

Anura

The Agnaktor fights are probably my favorites in the game. Its like Lagicrus without any of the swimming bullshit

That's more amatsumagatsuchi (or whatever it's name was) but I see your point

I just don't like all the digging they do... Moves that make me unable to hit the monster are only good when they don't spam it...

FlyFaster

People do this all the time. There is even a name for it in the industry, "killer app." It gets you to buy the hardware needed to run it.

People see games and buy consoles all the time, it's literally what gets a console in to all our houses. There is a game we want to play. Eventually, regardless of your initial reason for buying it, you will end up buying more games. Because you now have the system.

@ other dude,

I say go for it man. Get the Wii U. Online is crazy fun. Also if you have a nice sound system, the game sounds amazing.

I bought the Wii U only for MH3U, but since we have one now, my gf bought Pikmin3 and while I personally wasn't interested in it, and never played it before I am super happy that we have that game. It's really fun.

SuperSah

Banned
People do this all the time. There is even a name for it in the industry, "killer app." It gets you to buy the hardware needed to run it.

People see games and buy consoles all the time, it's literally what gets a console in to all our houses. There is a game we want to play. Eventually, regardless of your initial reason for buying it, you will end up buying more games. Because you now have the system.

@ other dude,

I say go for it man. Get the Wii U. Online is crazy fun. Also if you have a nice sound system, the game sounds amazing.

I bought the Wii U only for MH3U, but since we have one now, my gf bought Pikmin3 and while I personally wasn't interested in it, and never played it before I am super happy that we have that game. It's really fun.

If you have money to burn fine. I make sure there's a good enough amount of games before I buy a new console.

Bought a X360 for Forza 4, whilst amazing, not worth it for a single game. I paid £200 to play a single game.

I don't see the point, but whatever suits you.

ajim

Seem to be having some weird issues. My Classic Controller Pro has stopped functioning only with Monster Hunter. It's not picking up button presses at all except for the home button. Won't even let me use the thumbstick. I've rebooted a few times and this issue only happens with Monster Hunter.

When I press the home button and the menu comes up I'm able to press buttons as standard. Battery is full too.

Anyone come across this?

Gattuso

Seem to be having some weird issues. My Classic Controller Pro has stopped functioning only with Monster Hunter. It's not picking up button presses at all except for the home button. Won't even let me use the thumbstick. I've rebooted a few times and this issue only happens with Monster Hunter.

When I press the home button and the menu comes up I'm able to press buttons as standard. Battery is full too.

Anyone come across this?
Was the controller setting changed? that's the only reason i can think of if it just stopped working for the game.

ajim

Was the controller setting changed? that's the only reason i can think of if it just stopped working for the game.

Nope. I was mid quest and then it wonked out, then it went back to normal and I completed the quest then it wonked out again at the reward section and I had to reboot.

Then it wonked out again at the save file select screen and wouldn't let me select it.

Quite odd, because I booted up Pikmin 3 straight away and all works swell.

isual

to everyone that responded, thanks . I'll just keep the 3ds xl version.

I haven't owned a nintendo console since the gamecube .

if i do buy a wii u I'll prob also get ; xenoblade chronicles and all those good jrpgs too

Gattuso

Nope. I was mid quest and then it wonked out, then it went back to normal and I completed the quest then it wonked out again at the reward section and I had to reboot.

Then it wonked out again at the save file select screen and wouldn't let me select it.

Yea that is odd and there's not much I can really do to help fix the issue but I wonder is it completely random or something more specific in game when it goes out? I can't imagine monster hunter treating it differently than other games that support the controller as well.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I got to G rank and was fatigued so I took a couple months off now I'm back and I'm getting 1-shotted by e v e r y t h i n g

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Currently I use the hidden bow 1 and am in gigginox u gear.

Ken

I got to G rank and was fatigued so I took a couple months off now I'm back and I'm getting 1-shotted by e v e r y t h i n g

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Currently I use the hidden bow 1 and am in gigginox u gear.

try to farm up some easy g-rank gear for the huge base defense advantage they have over non g-rank stuff. iirc the jaggi thing that shoots poison was good and you can encounter them early on

tuffy

Even loading up Gigginox U with a bunch of Hvy and Tru Spheres can raise its defense up to 295, which will be enough to keep from being one-shotted by everything (though water attacks will still hurt) and that doesn't require any fighting at all. You'd still want to replace it with proper G rank gear as soon as possible, but it's an easy place to start.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Even loading up Gigginox U with a bunch of Hvy and Tru Spheres can raise its defense up to 295, which will be enough to keep from being one-shotted by everything (though water attacks will still hurt) and that doesn't require any fighting at all. You'd still want to replace it with proper G rank gear as soon as possible, but it's an easy place to start.

try to farm up some easy g-rank gear for the huge base defense advantage they have over non g-rank stuff. iirc the jaggi thing that shoots poison was good and you can encounter them early on

So upgrade my current gear, go for the baggi and get as much armor with an S on it as possible. Thanks a bunch!

tuffy

arent those g rank spheres?
They are, but you can get them at the start of G rank just from the harvest tours. Just buy a bunch of Armor Stones from Granny via the free DLC. Then get Eltalite Ore - which is all over the G rank Deserted Isle - to make Hvy Spheres. And harvest Flutterflies - which are in the G rank Flooded Forest - to make Tru Spheres. The Flutterflies in particular can be time-consuming, but there's no risk involved.

Mondriaan

Do you leave the tablet controller on the floor? Do any cables/wires end up running across the screen?

I've personally found that if you let any cables sit on top of that controller's screen, the buttons on the classic controller pro stop working (until you move the cables), but I had figured it was possibly just my system.

As someone who got into the same predicament only two weeks ago, I too suggest looking into easy G-rank armour. I ended up making full Rhenoplos, Volvidon and Jaggi sets. Wroggi is also doable, but the Wroggi quest can go bad quite fast if you're unlucky. The little guys seem to spawn infinitely in several areas and they can poison you behind your back.

The better suggestion I can give you however is to dip back into High Rank for a bit. G-rank monsters hit quite hard no matter what and what you really want to do is get back into the rhythm. Dodging or blocking becomes more crucial than before. Helping lower rank people with their questing is a rewarding way to get back into it.

tuffy

Volvidon X seems especially good for bows. Volvidon isn't a hard fight for ranged weapons in general and it offers Evasion +1 and Tremor Resistance outright. But add a few Charger Jewels and you'll have Focus too which has got to come in handy.

tuffy

Brachy gives you an attack boost when the monster is raging, a defense boost when your health is low and increased bomb damage if you're into that sort of thing. Good stuff, but mostly conditional.

Zinogre gives you a temporary attack boost after a few minutes of fighting, a thunder attack boost and a sharpness boost. Since more of its skills are active all of the time, I'd probably go with that. But that's just me.

SuperSah

Banned
Brachy gives you an attack boost when the monster is raging, a defense boost when your health is low and increased bomb damage if you're into that sort of thing. Good stuff, but mostly conditional.

Zinogre gives you a temporary attack boost after a few minutes of fighting, a thunder attack boost and a sharpness boost. Since more of its skills are active all of the time, I'd probably go with that. But that's just me.

Tuffy, you god/dess <3

upandaway

Just beat Ivory Lagi, it was a pretty hilarious fight (he's just as much of a pushover as regular Lagi on land, wat). Done with village quests except Jho, woo!

While I'm trying to decide whether to start G-rank solo or wait for my Wii U (looks like it could take a while), I guess I'll S-rank the arena fights and work on upgrading all my weapons. I still have that dang Waterthrower to get, that's gonna be annoying.

By the way, what the hell is up with the arena? I'm only on the second one (P. Ludroth) and I'm having tons of trouble. Every weapon except the bowgun takes me >9, and with the bowgun I barely managed to eck out 5:56. Is the S-rank really that much of a skill barrier? Can't even find any Youtube videos for help.

Chuckpebble

Just beat Ivory Lagi, it was a pretty hilarious fight (he's just as much of a pushover as regular Lagi on land, wat). Done with village quests except Jho, woo!

Oh, you aren't nearly done with the village. And when you are, you'll have a new respect for Ivory Lagi.

For g-rank, get cracking solo. Take 15 picks to the deserted island harvest tour and mine the area 4 cave until they all break. Gathering +2, spree and divine whim are recommended. It takes a while, but you'll likely never have to do a dedicated mining run again, at least in HR6.

Nobody wants to do that in a group.

Bulbasaur

Banned
As someone who got into the same predicament only two weeks ago, I too suggest looking into easy G-rank armour. I ended up making full Rhenoplos, Volvidon and Jaggi sets. Wroggi is also doable, but the Wroggi quest can go bad quite fast if you're unlucky. The little guys seem to spawn infinitely in several areas and they can poison you behind your back.

The better suggestion I can give you however is to dip back into High Rank for a bit. G-rank monsters hit quite hard no matter what and what you really want to do is get back into the rhythm. Dodging or blocking becomes more crucial than before. Helping lower rank people with their questing is a rewarding way to get back into it.

I actually haven't fought a Volvidon yet, I think that quest is now available in Rank 7 too. I have been going back and doing some of the lower ranks/helping etc and generally getting back into the flow, this is the game that just keeps on giving!

I've got my eyes on the Green Narga set, i hear its good for most bows. Does anyone know When Green Narga becomes available / viable to fight?

tuffy

I've got my eyes on the Green Narga set, i hear its good for most bows. Does anyone know When Green Narga becomes available / viable to fight?
It does look pretty nice for bows, I think, with focus and evasion up. Green Narga first shows up in the 7 star Port quests.

Chuckpebble

Does G-Rank Jade Barroth have any new moves? I saved him for last on my HR6 slate and I'm finding him a complete pushover compared to the new wrinkles in G-Rank Barroth's mud-fu.

Highwind

Finally got a Cloudy Moonshard by shiny farming. :/

Sure beats fighting L.Narga over and over. Now I can finally make the Mizar's Asterism.

upandaway

Oh, you aren't nearly done with the village. And when you are, you'll have a new respect for Ivory Lagi.

For g-rank, get cracking solo. Take 15 picks to the deserted island harvest tour and mine the area 4 cave until they all break. Gathering +2, spree and divine whim are recommended. It takes a while, but you'll likely never have to do a dedicated mining run again, at least in HR6.

Nobody wants to do that in a group.
Haha you weren't kidding! I don't even know how to do that quest. I'm still having enough trouble with Brachy when he's alone! Though I haven't tried to do him with my upgraded weapons yet, but still. What the hell.

And yeah I'm not gonna gather stuff online, of course. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that.

Anura

Haha you weren't kidding! I don't even know how to do that quest. I'm still having enough trouble with Brachy when he's alone! Though I haven't tried to do him with my upgraded weapons yet, but still. What the hell.

And yeah I'm not gonna gather stuff online, of course. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that.

Don't worry the quest really isn't that bad with G-rank gear

Chuckpebble

Don't worry the quest really isn't that bad with G-rank gear

Yeah. I got wind of that challenge and I scoffed at first, "I'm not going to go all the way up to G-Rank just to do this. I'll tough it out. I'm so pro at MonHun."

Almost done with HR6 and I still don't want to try it again. That quest broke me. And the title is perfect.

Anura

Yeah. I got wind of that challenge and I scoffed at first, "I'm not going to go all the way up to G-Rank just to do this. I'll tough it out. I'm so pro at MonHun."

Almost done with HR6 and I still don't want to try it again. That quest broke me. And the title is perfect.

Lol! Did you at least beat it?

upandaway

Well, I'll try to do it tomorrow with my new and shiny upgraded ice lance. I don't really like fighting 2 monsters at the same time anyway, so I'm cool with waiting for G rank equipment.

In other news, I think something like 80% or 90% of the time in the Moga Forest, it's either Qurupeco or Crimson Qurupeco. Ever since starting HR, I did every single >500pts monster I've gotten, and all I got out of it was one 7-star and 4 5-star trades. I literally can't get any more than that, because it's non stop Qurupeco. I can't hold all these freaking Qurupecos.
I thought I'd start early getting lots of pumpkins for the pumpkin armor in G-rank, but that's obviously not happening. I dunno.

Gattuso

Why did I die a lot on the downloadable Lucent Narga? Is it a super? :/

I think it is, I just did the battle earlier today and it lasted way longer than I remember. It hits pretty hard and just has so much more health. It seemed like even with 4 people hitting away we weren't going to kill it in time.

Roubjon

I'm having so much trouble with the G Rank Nargacuga. He'll just pounce on you once, do almost all of your health, then when you are running around trying to get some chance to heal he'll do some crazy jump thing and catch you off guard.

Honestly I guess it's just me being impatient while fighting it. I really want to make its great sword though. That critical damage from that sword coupled with the Critical Eye +3 skill from the Azure Rathalos sounds sexy as hell. I need it!

EDIT: I killed it, and I think I have the hang of it now. What's annoying is that i was smashing his face in the whole time and I didn't even break it for some reason. I didn't even scratch the claws either. Weird.

Mondriaan

Well, I'll try to do it tomorrow with my new and shiny upgraded ice lance. I don't really like fighting 2 monsters at the same time anyway, so I'm cool with waiting for G rank equipment.

In other news, I think something like 80% or 90% of the time in the Moga Forest, it's either Qurupeco or Crimson Qurupeco. Ever since starting HR, I did every single >500pts monster I've gotten, and all I got out of it was one 7-star and 4 5-star trades. I literally can't get any more than that, because it's non stop Qurupeco. I can't hold all these freaking Qurupecos.
I thought I'd start early getting lots of pumpkins for the pumpkin armor in G-rank, but that's obviously not happening. I dunno.

It sucks because it's such a stupid way to play, but you really have to save when you get a prediction of 6-7 star monsters (before going out to the forest), and then go kill/cap the monsters and reload the game (and repeat the hunt) when you don't get what you want.

Playing it normally will mean taking three or four times longer to get those rare trades, which might be fine if you're also grinding for that stupid one million resource points award.

Insaniac

Does anybody want to help me out some time? I just started G-rank I did spend the time to farm Gbeard ceadeus armor set so i can hold my own, but I would prefer having some team mates venturing into this new experience NNID TheLintendo

Cerity

progress more through HR? I'm just about to fight the Zinogre (7* urgent ) and my forecast for the next few days is;

Quro/G.Baggi
Quro/Brachydios
Quro/Duramboros

I probably would have finished the village quests by now except I decided to go and get all the LR hammers.

Top Bottom