• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

vareon

The Second Coming is kinda disappointing. Fun fight, but disappointing.

That super Stygian and Brachy is far more troublesome.

To those playing on 3DS, do you play it with a circle pad pro?

Cause I've just played on the 3DS without it and got royally screwed over, what should have been a quickish mission against the Gigginox and Baneful took way longer than it should because I had to adjust to the claw.

Never playing the 3DS version without the circle pad pro XD

Cause I've just played on the 3DS without it and got royally screwed over, what should have been a quickish mission against the Gigginox and Baneful took way longer than it should because I had to adjust to the claw.

I initially played the game without it, as it was still being shipped when I was downloading the game. Two days with the virtual d-pad, and although it was ok.. the CCPro XL is really nice. I suppose I could play without it...

I just prefer the CCPro, especially for the grips!

Insaniac

quickly adjusted to the virtual dpad, and got used to using the L-target too especially when bowing. Other than that I've never had problems handling the controls.

upandaway

CPP only. I did give an honest, earnest try to playing without it, and it turned out alright, but I usually play the game in a setting where I can use the CPP without any issues, so what's the point, it's better.

There's definitely some moves that I couldn't have pulled off without it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Played without it, put in over 200 hours just fine. L-targeting is a life-saver, except underwater.

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, the Wide-Range+1 skill from the Qurupeco set, how useful is it for online? I like the idea of helping teammates but I'm not sure if it's worth it when I could be using a better set like the Barroth.

Fistwell

Hey guys, the Wide-Range+1 skill from the Qurupeco set, how useful is it for online? I like the idea of helping teammates but I'm not sure if it's worth it when I could be using a better set like the Barroth.
I don't like it very much. I have wide-range+2 on a set, doesn't work on megapots, only pots. Eyeballing it from looking at other people's lifebars, seems significantly less effective than a lifepowder for example (although you can obviously carry more pots than lifepowders). It's a big meh. If you enjoy helping teamates, go hunting horn! :D

Bad news MH gaf... My disc broke!
lol what happened? Tried to solo that green plesi event?

Edit: anybody wants to get together and play online tomorrow evening (8pm CEST)? I'll be out of town for about a week starting friday, not sure if I'll be able to get on this weekend. Yo Billy, want to grind for some armor set?

Chuckpebble

Do you not use the touch d-pad? Why are you using the claw? How about target camera?

I don't use the circle pad. No issues.
The target camera is amazing but at the same time bolsters some of the arguments for not having a lock on system in the first place. It also gives you some advantages that you never had before.

Fistwell

The amount of monster hunter fans/experts on this forum that I've never ever seen post in a monhun OT (been reading them since dos freedom), let alone actually play online with other GAF people, is staggering.

I don't like it very much. I have wide-range+2 on a set, doesn't work on megapots, only pots. Eyeballing it from looking at other people's lifebars, seems significantly less effective than a lifepowder for example (although you can obviously carry more pots than lifepowders). It's a big meh. If you enjoy helping teamates, go hunting horn! :D

lol what happened? Tried to solo that green plesi event?

Edit: anybody wants to get together and play online tomorrow evening (8pm CEST)? I'll be out of town for about a week starting friday, not sure if I'll be able to get on this weekend. Yo Billy, want to grind for some armor set?

Sure I should be able to make it =D
The amount of monster hunter fans/experts on this forum that I've never ever seen post in a monhun OT (been reading them since dos freedom), let alone actually play online with other GAF people, is staggering.
So many port begging as well =/

Do you not use the touch d-pad? Why are you using the claw? How about target camera?

I don't use the circle pad. No issues.
The target camera is amazing but at the same time bolsters some of the arguments for not having a lock on system in the first place. It also gives you some advantages that you never had before.

Lol didn't have the touch screen D-Pad on, I should anytime I play the 3DS without the circle pad pro XD, but that suckas gonna be filled with batteries anytime I play on the 3DS now XD

tuffy

Bad news MH gaf... My disc broke!
How did that happen? Though since I switched over to the download version, I could send you mine.
The earliest I could make it is about 10pm GMT, which might be a little late. But I'll help out if I can.

Fistwell

The earliest I could make it is about 10pm GMT, which might be a little late. But I'll help out if I can.
Yeah that's pretty much when I'm planning to hit the sack (12pm GMT+2), need to get up and get to work in the morning. *sadface*
Not sure how late Billy will stay on though.

Oh well, there's always the weekend after.

Good deal! Any idea what kind of sets and/or weapons you're interested in crafting?

Yeah well
I wouldn't mind seeing MH4 on WiiU, Vita, PS360, etc
. 8O
I wouldn't entirely mind lol, I've pretty much covered for the current generations of consoles, just wish it wasn't so salty XD

And for weapon I won't mind crafting a better hunting horn =D, for armour I think I may be able to make Rathlos armour, I do have 2 rubies from it.

As for playing for how long I should be able to be on for a while, as long as I've ate before then XD

I'm still on disc =P

Fistwell

And for weapon I won't mind crafting a better hunting horn =D, for armour I think I may be able to make Rathlos armour, I do have 2 rubies from it.
There's a triple los advanced quest somewhere. Each one goes down super quick. Not sure what's the drop rate like for mantles though, might be better off doing azure los (there's a 2x a los quest as well I believe). In any case, gunning los down is fun.

Plus off TV play all the time =P

And when we meet up tomorrow's online hunt lets hunt the Gigginox one more time =D
I am one talon and gland away from the final hunting horn in the tree, just need G-rank drops XD

upandaway

Just spent about 3 hours today on Brachy (first time I've as much as seen him) with the DS until I could beat him. That was crazy fun, but man, what a jump in difficulty.

I had armor good enough that I could speed through any other monster up to that point with 0 effort towards dodging, I think it was at around 41. Fast forward to Brachy, and I can't take any 2 hits. Dunno what's going on there, but whatever, after 3 hours of failure I upgraded my armor to 50 and he was finally doable (though I did cart twice and ran out of potions, and had Cha-Cha and Kayamba with me, haha). I didn't dare to try him with the GS, but I'll try the lance tomorrow. This game is so good you guys.

The slime is really really fun. I hope it shows up on more than 1 monster in MH4.

GS and Lance are actually very helpful with the Brachy especially when you can block that pimple explosion that explodes to the front.

As a switchaxe user I hate it when I'm slimed, climb up from being smack and then pimple explosion, boom dead....XD

tuffy

Brachy's long range jump-blasts convinced me that Evade Extender was a skill I needed to have around all the time, even though it's pretty expensive slot-wise. Without it, I'd see him rearing up to jump, and I'd try to roll toward him for the best chance to escape, but I'd still get caught up in the explosion because it lasts so long and covers such a wide area. With Extender, it feels like I'm able to get out of the blast zone a lot more consistently.

tuffy

Does it extend distance or time of invulnerability? I will need to make these decoration for myself as I have rarely used shielded weapons.
Evade +1/+2 (Evasion) increase the invulnerability period from a fraction of a second to slightly larger fractions of a second. It's the usual 10 skill points for +1 and 15 for +2 and can be gemmed in with 1 point / 1 slot Evasion Jewel 1s or 3 point / 2 slot Evasion Jewel 2s.

Evade Extender (Evade Dist) doesn't help the invulnerability period at all, but adds 50% more distance. The downside is that it can only be gemmed in from Jumping Jewel 1s at a single point each. So it's more expensive slot-wise and usually requires help from armor or a good charm.

upandaway

Yeah, there were plenty of times where I'd get flown away by one explosion and then he hits me with another one before I manage to roll away far enough. That was only a problem when I was getting 2HKO'd, though. I'm totally cool with wasting potions when I get comboed, the problem is the deaths!

My second highest death cause was, weirdly enough, the tail swipe. No clue why, I sometimes get to low health, and panic and try to figure out where he is, and BAM tail from outside the camera. Happened at least 3 times.

Dizzy-4U

I see. Time to upgrade then. Barroth set seems alright.

centracore

I was finally able to beat Duramboros last night! Thanks to tuffy helping me unlock rank 3 (for the high rank harvesting missions) the other night I was able to build a Wyvern Blade "Fire" which made short work of Duramboros (25-30 min fight).

As for online play, we should pick a "default" world and lobby to make GAF games in, that way anyone can quickly check there and see if there are any open games to join.

As for online play, we should pick a "default" world and lobby to make GAF games in, that way anyone can quickly check there and see if there are any open games to join.
We do have a default online room, quote the OP and it's there. Just not that much online peeps anymore unless we had a set date like tomorrow's meet up.

taybul

I was finally able to beat Duramboros last night! Thanks to tuffy helping me unlock rank 3(for the high rank harvesting missions) the other night I was able to build a Wyvern Blade "Fire" which made short work of Duramboros (25-30 min fight).

There is a designated world/lobby. Check the first post.

tuffy

The problem is that the game's design is host-centric, so it's hard for people to casually come and go over a long period of time. If the host has to go to sleep or go to work or has other pressing business, the room goes away and everybody gets dumped to the lobby where somebody else will need to make a whole new room. It's a bit frustrating and makes it difficult to keep a community going online.

SuperSah

Banned

Yep, always use the CPP. Makes the game a lot more comfortable and easy to play for hours.

DaBoss

I don't know why, but I think I'm getting the urge to play this again.

I never played the game with a CPP. I've managed up to G-Rank. Didn't complete the 8 Star quests though (or whatever is the final star quests).

So I dipped my toe into the online side of things after double dipping but I'm baffled how to find other players.

Basically I logged into the server browser, found a game marked as HR1, joined and could see other people listed on the screen but I couldn't find them in the port.

Is there a place you can go to teleport to where the other players are or is there some kind of tp they can send me?

Probably really obvious but I was stumped.

Fistwell

So I dipped my toe into the online side of things after double dipping but I'm baffled how to find other players.

Basically I logged into the server browser, found a game marked as HR1, joined and could see other people listed on the screen but I couldn't find them in the port.

Is there a place you can go to teleport to where the other players are or is there some kind of tp they can send me?

Probably really obvious but I was stumped.
Talk to them. If their reply is in white, they're in the port, if it's purplish pink they're out on a quest. Also, if you're around CEST and are up for some hunting tonight, a few of us are meeting up online at 8pm CEST.

Anura

Talk to them. If their reply is in white, they're in the port, if it's purplish pink they're out on a quest. Also, if you're around CEST and are up for some hunting tonight, a few of us are meeting up online at 8pm CEST.

Ugh! All these meet-ups now... What an awful time to have a broken disc! Oh well luckily I had the save file on the 3ds so I can still play

Not sure if I'll be on for any meaningful time tonight but cheers for the clarification. Only wearing a LR Lagia blade set atm with an average ice LS so I'm not sure how useful I'd be anyway :)

Anura

Not sure if I'll be on for any meaningful time tonight but cheers for the clarification. Only wearing a LR Lagia blade set atm with an average ice LS so I'm not sure how useful I'd be anyway :)

Don't worry GAF hunters usually don't mind helping people rank, last I checked the only rules were be nice and have fun!

I would say things Like "I don't mind" or "I will help you" but... Well just refer to the post above lol

Fistwell

Ugh! All these meet-ups now... What an awful time to have a broken disc! Oh well luckily I had the save file on the 3ds so I can still play
Yeah well, keep your panties on, it's only 2 or 3 of us so far. Maybe I'll PM a few people... But, besides, I might not get on for a week after that.

No worries, it's all about playing together and having fun. If you do get on tonight, let us know! ;D
Looking forward to unearthing my HR leather chaps outfit!! :)

Yeah, there were plenty of times where I'd get flown away by one explosion and then he hits me with another one before I manage to roll away far enough. That was only a problem when I was getting 2HKO'd, though. I'm totally cool with wasting potions when I get comboed, the problem is the deaths!

My second highest death cause was, weirdly enough, the tail swipe. No clue why, I sometimes get to low health, and panic and try to figure out where he is, and BAM tail from outside the camera. Happened at least 3 times.
It's a pretty fun fight! Was pretty challenging for me in SP, was trying to rush through the game to reach offline high rank so I was undergeared as all hell. That, coupled with not knowing his moveset, made it pretty tense.

tuffy

Being out of town shouldn't have to keep one away from Monster Hunting. All you need is a power cable, WiFi connection and enough space in a suitcase. Off-TV play will take care of the rest!

Fistwell

Being out of town shouldn't have to keep one away from Monster Hunting. All you need is a power cable, WiFi connection and enough space in a suitcase. Off-TV play will take care of the rest!
Yeah I'll try to bring the Wii U, but most of the week will be spent in a drunken haze of sleep deprivation.

Great hunting everyone =D, Festwill you will be pleased I have acquired a full set of G-Rank Agna armour =D... Still get hit pretty hard by G-Rank monsters though lol

Thanks for the help to the peeps that was helping me farm Agna XD, played waaaay too late after Festwill left XD

Gattuso

Yea that was fun playing with you guys even if I never did get a lagi mantle and had to leave the room for dinner and stuff.

Top Bottom