• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fest and Anura, thanks.

I missed so many shots that run because of the tiny Plesioth, yall have no idea. I think I actually paralyzed him at some point, lolololol.

Anyway, EPIC STUFF! Giant Plesioth booked and shelved. Never again.

Fistwell

Indian food will arrive in 45 mins, i will eat then I will be online to show y'all how to hunt. (My guess is that noone will be on).
We're on, where are you?

Fest and Anura, thanks.

I missed so many shots that run because of the tiny Plesioth, yall have no idea. I think I actually paralyzed him at some point, lolololol.

Hahaa! Good job out there!

Anura

Fest and Anura, thanks.

Don't worry! We won and that's all that matters in the end

Nobody likes that fish anyways
Great games everyone lol, even though I was just cheering on from the back =p

Going to second fest's "don't be so modest" sentiments here.

Ahaha I'll need to build a full set when I have time but for now it's Tales of Xillia.

I did get some hits in but felt like I did so little lol, what with the deflection XD. But I actually didn't mind playing songs lol, it helped in parts at least =P

I just love playing the negate stamina use song though =D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Is there a reliable way to get Grandma Go-To to sell Armor Stones? I'm pretty sure I've downloaded everything (redownloaded just to double check too), but she just won't sell 'em no matter how many missions I do. ;_;

EDIT: NM, she finally gave the goods! :D

Friend and me are about to make a room at the usual GAF place for some relaxed hunting. We hardly have any goals left though so join if you need stuff done.

Gregorn

I'm still having a tough time getting into this each time I try. I'm up to Gobul and am close to completely giving up, these water fights are just no fun at all.

I'm using the long sword because I assume it's the most casual weapon.

tuffy

I'm still having a tough time getting into this each time I try. I'm up to Gobul and am close to completely giving up, these water fights are just no fun at all.

Water fights are less pleasant in general, and the murky Flooded Forest is the most unpleasant of all. But if Gobul's giving you a hard time, you could try shock traps (which work underwater) in order to stop it for free hits. Or you could temporarily switch to a more underwater-friendly weapon like the lance. Some monsters are easier to hunt with certain weapons than others. So if changing tactics doesn't work, there's little harm in trying something different to see if it performs better - especially in the early game when weapons are still pretty cheap.

centracore

I got a WiiU just for MH3U last Monday and have already put 35 hours into the game, so addicted. I'm currently super stuck on the Duramboros quest - this is the first boss that I just can't seem to beat.. I've been searching for help online but most threads end up being something along the lines of 'lol u suk'.

Right now I'm using the Windeater long sword and a full set of Barroth armor upgraded 4x. Any suggestions on equipment upgrades I should do before attempting to take this guy on again?

Anura

I got a WiiU just for MH3U last Monday and have already put 35 hours into the game, so addicted. I'm currently super stuck on the Duramboros quest - this is the first boss that I just can't seem to beat.. I've been searching for help online but most threads end up being something along the lines of 'lol u suk'.

Right now I'm using the Windeater long sword and a full set of Barroth armor upgraded 4x. Any suggestions on equipment upgrades I should do before attempting to take this guy on again?

A fire weapon would be the best way to go

Also when we starts to spin get under him and attack his legs if you do enough damage he should topple over and expose his humps (his only weak point)

The guy has a LOT of HP so hitting where it counts is important

tuffy

Duramboros also takes a lot of poison damage, and a poison weapon might be easier to find (from Gigginox) at that stage of the game. His head is a good target for slash damage and usually provides a good opportunity for hits after his roflcopter tail spin move.

centracore

Duramboros also takes a lot of poison damage, and a poison weapon might be easier to find (from Gigginox) at that stage of the game. His head is a good target for slash damage and usually provides a good opportunity for hits after his roflcopter tail spin move.

It looks like the best poison long swoard I could get at this point would be Cerberus Katana -> Bleeding Cross using Gigginox carves, does that sound about right? Is there any particular armor set I should be using?

tuffy

It looks like the best poison long swoard I could get at this point would be Cerberus Katana -> Bleeding Cross using Gigginox carves, does that sound about right? Is there any particular armor set I should be using?
Yeah, I think that's what the game has in mind for progression. Most of its materials are common Gigginox and Wroggi parts so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

And Barroth armor's attack and defense skills should be good enough for that hunt since Duramboros doesn't have anything other than physical attacks to worry about.

upandaway

LS is pretty mid-range as far as ease of use goes. The most easy to use weapon would be the S&S or the DS, they're so easy to use that I use them regularly when I just wanna chill and farm monsters calmly. For Gobul, I'll definitely suggest trying out a different weapon. If you can get used to the Lance, that's the best weapon for him (it's also one of the only monsters where the Lance can switch to impact damage).

Before Gobul notices you, you can fish him out with a frog in area 4. It gives you a bunch of free hits and gets him on land for a decent amount of time. If you combine that with a pitfall trap and some bombs that you set up before fishing him out (very famous strategy), you can get him to half his HP before you even start fighting in the water.

Also maybe try to pay attention to your skills. If you get paralyzed by his tail often or you get hit with his stun attack often, there are easy skills to get that negate stun or paralyze (I think, forgot the exact details).

What else.. when you're fighting him underwater, stay below him. That way, the only attack you need to watch out for is his downward roll, and you can avoid it with a cautious fade slash if you're using LS.

Try throwing flash bombs randomly when he's spinning, if you're lucky he'll get hit and fall down. When he's exhausted also, flash bombs can calm him down pretty well (I once cleared out an entire sharpness level with one flash bomb on him). So bring lots of them, you can combine some mid-quest from the ingredients.

Dunno about the equipment, you can't get a fire LS yet and I don't remember if the status ones are good at that point. Barroth is a good set for him, I don't think there are any armor sets at that point that have better skills than attack/defense for fighting him.

centracore

Be sure to join us online next online meet up =D

Will definitely do that.

Also random question, would anyone be willing to take me on a couple high rank harvest quests one evening? If I can gather 5x Carbalite Ore then I would be able to upgrade my Windeater -> Soundeater which should make the difference in the Gigginox fight which would in turn allow me to upgrade my Cerberus Katana -> Bleeding Cross which will hopefully make the difference in the Duramboros fight.

(I think I kind of messed up by doing the "Fell the Lagiacrus" quest as soon as it was available, now I am with out my little Shakalaka friend for any fights until I can kill the Duramboros)

Will definitely do that.

Also random question, would anyone be willing to take me on a couple high rank harvest quests one evening? If I can gather 5x Carbalite Ore then I would be able to upgrade my Windeater -> Soundeater which should make the difference in the Gigginox fight which would in turn allow me to upgrade my Cerberus Katana -> Bleeding Cross which will hopefully make the difference in the Duramboros fight.

(I think I kind of messed up by doing the "Fell the Lagiacrus" quest as soon as it was available, now I am with out my little Shakalaka friend for any fights until I can kill the Duramboros)
Sure I won't mind going on a gather quest someday XD, my High Rank armour are useless in G-Rank lmao so I've been cheer leading with hunting horn (switch-axe was my main) but I've actually found some love for it =D

tuffy

Also random question, would anyone be willing to take me on a couple high rank harvest quests one evening?
I often linger around online in the evenings (CDT, aka GMT-5) and would be happy to help. Not sure if you'd be able to accompany the 3 star Port harvest tours without clearing the 1 and 2 star key quests first, but doing those would take very little time in a group. And once you've opened them up, they'd always be available in your single-player Port.
Sure I won't mind going on a gather quest someday XD, my High Rank armour are useless in G-Rank lmao so I've been cheer leading with hunting horn (switch-axe was my main) but I've actually found some love for it =D
If you want to make a lot of friends online, use a hunting horn or status effect shots. :)

centracore

I often linger around online in the evenings (CDT, aka GMT-5) and would be happy to help. Not sure if you'd be able to accompany the 3 star Port harvest tours without clearing the 1 and 2 star key quests first, but doing those would take very little time in a group. And once you've opened them up, they'd always be available in your single-player Port.

That works awesome as I am GMT-6 myself. I have all of the 1 star quests cleared at this point but none of the 2 star quests yet (doh). Now that I think about it I'm not sure if I would be able to go on 3 star quests or not, but it can't hurt to try. Let me know what world / lobby you're hanging around in and I'll try and join!

tuffy

I've opened a room in "07 Novices A", Lobby 10 named "GAF" with no password. Should be able to keep it open for the next couple of hours.

tuffy

I did indeed, thanks for all the help!
You're welcome! Now you can get to those high rank harvest tours for better ores. Multiplayer is fun (and fast!) but I recommend plugging through those Village quests because they're such good practice.
I was Ellanis, not a random, just fyi :D are we done for the time being?
Yeah, I had to run for the evening. Nice to see some friendly faces. We need to set these up more often. :)

Insaniac

You're welcome! Now you can get to those high rank harvest tours for better ores. Multiplayer is fun (and fast!) but I recommend plugging through those Village quests because they're such good practice.

Yeah, I had to run for the evening. Nice to see some friendly faces. We need to set these up more often. :)

yeah it was fun, we definitely need to play more

Gregorn

3DS or Wii U?

3DS

LS is pretty mid-range as far as ease of use goes. The most easy to use weapon would be the S&S or the DS, they're so easy to use that I use them regularly when I just wanna chill and farm monsters calmly. For Gobul, I'll definitely suggest trying out a different weapon. If you can get used to the Lance, that's the best weapon for him (it's also one of the only monsters where the Lance can switch to impact damage).

The Lance helped and I managed to beat him in the next try. My feelings with this game is strange, I still haven't felt the crazy hook that people keep talking about, but I do have to keep coming back to see what the next monster is like.

Top Bottom