• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Just telling him, so that he upgrades his water element weapons lol. But you've gotta admire his spirit for persevering this long solo, Monster Hunter really becomes addicting like crazy with other players, as long as you can meet long enough.

Lol true enough! I was just kidding with you anyways

SuperSah

Banned
Just telling him, so that he upgrades his water element weapons lol. But you've gotta admire his spirit for persevering this long solo, Monster Hunter really becomes addicting like crazy with other players, as long as you can meet long enough.

Yeah, thanks for that. I been at this quest for maybe 3-4 weeks now, all that effort learning and preparing sure paid off, I feel so good now. :p

Hey don't kill his hype too quickly! Let him enjoy it while he can

Good job Supersah!

=D congrats, just be prepared for the urgent quest to get to G-Rank =P, gotta hunt down 2 Brachys in Tundra and they hurt like G-Rank Brachys,XD

Thank you both! :D

See you when i'm stumped at Dual Brachy. :p

upandaway

Brachy had me stumped for a good couple of hours straight too. I got scarred and never fought him since until I got to him in the port when I played with my friend. We destroyed him in 9 minutes.

When I first beat him, I could swear that no matter what, I couldn't shave off any more time with the same gear. Now that I know him better, I can do it in half the time it took then. He's a great fight. Congrats!

tuffy

The whole game is beatable solo, and anyone who can manage it is a better player than I am.

That said, I've been carrying my nephew through the high rank Port quests via Wii U/3DS local play. It's pretty challenging when he carts twice pretty early in the hunts and I've got to finish it up with minimal shakalaka support. I'm used to doing them in a group of 4 so running the hunts basically solo is a big change of pace.

upandaway

There's a lot of fun to be had in hunting solo (without the Shakalakas). The lance, GS and DS are the most fun weapons to use for it in my opinion (and for the GS, I think it's just more fun solo than multi. Charging on a monster when it's attacking someone else is such a dry, empty feeling).

Gunning needs the other targets, though. The only time I'd gun solo is in the arena, where the challenge is specifically designed for it.

Anura

There's a lot of fun to be had in hunting solo (without the Shakalakas). The lance, GS and DS are the most fun weapons to use for it in my opinion (and for the GS, I think it's just more fun solo than multi. Charging on a monster when it's attacking someone else is such a dry, empty feeling).

Gunning needs the other targets, though. The only time I'd gun solo is in the arena, where the challenge is specifically designed for it.

I did my Japanese playthrough solo and I think you should add hammer to that list one of the more fun weapons in general

Also gunning can be done solo plessy gets DESTROYED by HBGs and I have gunned both the metal raths and green/black narga with relative ease
A big part is knowing where to shoot

SuperSah

Banned
The whole game is beatable solo, and anyone who can manage it is a better player than I am.

That said, I've been carrying my nephew through the high rank Port quests via Wii U/3DS local play. It's pretty challenging when he carts twice pretty early in the hunts and I've got to finish it up with minimal shakalaka support. I'm used to doing them in a group of 4 so running the hunts basically solo is a big change of pace.

Trust me, it's brutal at times on solo, especially since Port is designed for four players.

I'm slowly trudging through it. I'll get to the end sooner or later.

I try to persevere with MH, it's extremely rewarding and I think the past month of me trying to do this has proved that.

upandaway

I did my Japanese playthrough solo and I think you should add hammer to that list one of the more fun weapons in general

Also gunning can be done solo plessy gets DESTROYED by HBGs and I have gunned both the metal raths and green/black narga with relative ease
A big part is knowing where to shoot
Well to be honest everything gets destroyed by HBG's :lol it's just that I don't really see any point to it, but I never tried it so what do I know.

I may pick up the hammer again for MH4, I dropped it in 3U in favor of picking up as many new classes as possible.

DaBoss

I stopped when I got to G-Rank with multiple monsters in the arena. I just went like nope, not gonna bother. I would have to grind through it and it just wouldn't be fun.

Anura

I stopped when I got to G-Rank with multiple monsters in the arena. I just went like nope, not gonna bother. I would have to grind through it and it just wouldn't be fun.

I wanted to do all the advanced quests before I did those almost got there too!

But it got to the point where it was like "ugh I still need that triple Duramboros quest... Oh hey! The triple rathalos quest it back that's always fun!" And i would never get anything done

Cerity

I find it more fun on solo tbh, the monsters are more predictable and they do less seemingly random stuff. Plus it feels a lot more personal.

I bring along shakalaka's but only for their buffs, their abilities are set to gather so they don't draw attention, most of the time lol.

Anura

I find it more fun on solo tbh, the monsters are more predictable and they do less seemingly random stuff. Plus it feels a lot more personal.

I bring along shakalaka's but only for their buffs, their abilities are set to gather so they don't draw attention, most of the time lol.

I like both actually! I go solo for the combat but I also go multiplayer because I like the social part of MH

Both aspects have are pretty great for different reasons

I like soloing too! True there are some I cannot do (the SUPER Brachy and Stygian) but overall, I like the challenge! Hell, many of the "advanced quests" I managed solo... just anything over four monsters? FORGET IT! ;p

Bulbasaur

Banned
I finally got my Green Narga set with the aid of some hunters that were a lot of fun to play with. There were some tense moments, like on the quest with the two green nargs - 2 deaths and then all of a sudden the second narg decides to drop in.. We did it though!

I have a question - I know the kelbi bow is shunned by some purists but I like how it can use all the coatings. Can anyone advise how to get the Awakening skill on it?

Anura

I finally got my Green Narga set with the aid of some hunters that were a lot of fun to play with. There were some tense moments, like on the quest with the two green nargs - 2 deaths and then all of a sudden the second narg decides to drop in.. We did it though!

I have a question - I know the kelbi bow is shunned by some purists but I like how it can use all the coatings. Can anyone advise how to get the Awakening skill on it?

Ceadeus x and giggi X are the best way to go and maybe lagi x

Also when using coatings CHARGE your bow. People don't do this all the time because they think it works like slime

Charging the bow increases the coatings status ability and without it you either waste all of the coatings to get one status or you don't get any status at all because the monster resists it

Anura

Is the A button attack better for applying status? That "barrage" attack thing.

Perhaps? But if it does its negligible it's also inaccurate and unsafe you could charge and line up two normal shots with less trouble than lining up one of the barrage

The barrage is best used for a monster too far away to get the best damage out of the normal charges

A great example of when to use it is when Zinogre is going into rage and leaps back you're right on the edge of his roars range at that point so just back up a few steps and send a volley his way

Chuckpebble

I'm not happy to even acknowledge that one's existence.

I have nobody. I'm solo on 3DS, so I'm stumped.

I'm in the same boat. Loath that monster. I'm primarily gunlance, so having to sheath before I can roll really makes for a pain in the neck. I ended up using a full nargacuga set with his SnS. It took me forever because I was being super cautious, but in the end I prevailed.
Now that I'm in G rank, I plan on using Volvidon armor to get past him. It has evasion and biology.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Ceadeus x and giggi X are the best way to go and maybe lagi x

Also when using coatings CHARGE your bow. People don't do this all the time because they think it works like slime

Charging the bow increases the coatings status ability and without it you either waste all of the coatings to get one status or you don't get any status at all because the monster resists it

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Anura

Hey hunter gaf I'm bored without any online and need something to hunt!

Give me a weapon type and monster! Just try not to make it hard I ain't looking for a challenge right now

I think I'm also ready to learn another weapon as well. Hammers and hunting horns are a little too samey for my taste, and it still didn't give me any cutting damage. I'm leaning towards either lances or long swords.

The little bit of extra range and lessened focus on charging will be very welcome change of pace. Which of the two is the easier one to get into?

SuperSah

Banned
I think I'm also ready to learn another weapon as well. Hammers and hunting horns are a little too samey for my taste, and it still didn't give me any cutting damage. I'm leaning towards either lances or long swords.

The little bit of extra range and lessened focus on charging will be very welcome change of pace. Which of the two is the easier one to get into?

LS is far easier to use, but go GunLance. It's very tactical and powerful, but it has a slow sheath for tight-spots.

upandaway

Hey hunter gaf I'm bored without any online and need something to hunt!

Give me a weapon type and monster! Just try not to make it hard I ain't looking for a challenge right now
Did you S Rank all the arenas with all weapons? Seems like a good challenge there.

Back in town! Let me know if anyone wants to play sometime this week! TSCHÜSS!
You're back, yay I may or may not be on the week after, but probs can try this week as I'm likely sending my Wii U in for repairs, have errors reading game disc mid-gameplay.

Happens with Pikmin 3, Lego City and The Wonderful 101, feels bad replaying certain levels because the game couldn't save due to disc errors =/

FlyFaster

One of the most rewarding things you can do in the game.

Playing a new weapon and really learning it, not just messing about, really changes not only the way you play the game but how you see it as well -- you'll love and hate to fight different monsters, you'll be thinking about different skills and hence different armor, ect.

I picked up Lances(and gunlance) in this game. Amazing weapon. You will never be scared of a Monster again! Nice Lance set up can tank anything.

imo
Lance is more suited to an evasion style -- evasion +1/+2, evade distance
GunLance is more suited to defensive style -- guard +1/+2

Both are amazing weapons. I also find Lances to be the most mobile and least effected weapons for underwater quests too.

upandaway

Wii U's finally here so I'll be able to join you guys when I figure that out. From now on till the end of September is somewhat bad time for me to play online extensively though, so we'll see. Counting on you guys for some HR Zinogre and Brachy farming, and some help with the port Jhen.

Speaking of which, is port Jhen even possible solo (with level appropriate gear)? Because if not, that's a bit of a slap for 3DS players without friends. Or can you still move on to G without doing it?

LS is far easier to use, but go GunLance. It's very tactical and powerful, but it has a slow sheath for tight-spots.
While we're talking about the Gunlance, I have a bit of a peculiar problem with it! It renders me useless with it against any monster remotely hard.

The problem is.. using the Gunlance, I get addicted to flinching monsters. It makes me reckless and completely negligent of avoiding attacks. It doesn't help that I currently have overpowered defense because Brachy was impossible without upgrading that much.
Sometimes it gets so bad that I get a Wyvern Fire off, and then proceed to be kicked around trying to land explosions until the WF finishes cooling off, rinse repeat.

Edit: Can't say that I agree about the lance being suited to evading. For me lance is all about countering everything. Guard+2 is necessary for that, way more important than evasion (where lance is already great at without needing it).

SuperSah

Banned
Wii U's finally here so I'll be able to join you guys when I figure that out. From now on till the end of September is somewhat bad time for me to play online extensively though, so we'll see. Counting on you guys for some HR Zinogre and Brachy farming, and some help with the port Jhen.

Speaking of which, is port Jhen even possible solo (with level appropriate gear)? Because if not, that's a bit of a slap for 3DS players without friends. Or can you still move on to G without doing it?

While we're talking about the Gunlance, I have a bit of a peculiar problem with it! It renders me useless with it against any monster remotely hard.

The problem is.. using the Gunlance, I get addicted to flinching monsters. It makes me reckless and completely negligent of avoiding attacks. It doesn't help that I currently have overpowered defense because Brachy was impossible without upgrading that much.
Sometimes it gets so bad that I get a Wyvern Fire off, and then proceed to be kicked around trying to land explosions until the WF finishes cooling off, rinse repeat.

Edit: Can't say that I agree about the lance being suited to evading. For me lance is all about countering everything. Guard+2 is necessary for that, way more important than evasion (where lance is already great at without needing it).

Jhen's solo-able on 3DS, just VERY difficult so far.

Also, I know how you feel with the GL, I get a bit too happy attacking and forgetting to be technical and dodging etc. and it doesn't help with the slow unsheathe. :p

tuffy

Port Jhen is a canteen quest so it's nice to have. It's probably doable solo with high rank weapons since a lot of it is just spamming ship weapons. But none of the Jhen quests are key so one can always move on to G rank and come back later with something more powerful.

Though just name the time and place if you need anything farmed. A whole group can get a lot of quests done in a short amount of time if need be.

upandaway

Yeah I wanna do Jhen now because it's a canteen thing, and I don't mind just cheesing it online because I feel like I killed him too many times when it was my second time.

Jhen's solo-able on 3DS, just VERY difficult so far.

Also, I know how you feel with the GL, I get a bit too happy attacking and forgetting to be technical and dodging etc. and it doesn't help with the slow unsheathe. :p
I quickly spun off a set from my lance set that has Artillery Expert, Quick Sheath and Guard Boost, so you can just imagine how I'm using it :lol so far the Gunlance is pretty much my weaker monsters weapon, I just enjoy the fireworks for the 5 minutes it lasts.

SuperSah

Banned
Yeah I wanna do Jhen now because it's a canteen thing, and I don't mind just cheesing it online because I feel like I killed him too many times when it was my second time.

I quickly spun off a set from my lance set that has Artillery Expert, Quick Sheath and Guard Boost, so you can just imagine how I'm using it :lol so far the Gunlance is pretty much my weaker monsters weapon, I just enjoy the fireworks for the 5 minutes it lasts.

I use GunLance the vast majority of the time, but upon failing Port Brachy a good 100 times then owning him with a weaker DS set, i'm gonna try and break it up a little.

DS has a great unsheathe speed and nice dodges too.

Anura

I use GunLance the vast majority of the time, but upon failing Port Brachy a good 100 times then owning him with a weaker DS set, i'm gonna try and break it up a little.

DS has a great unsheathe speed and nice dodges too.

Brachy and lances don't mesh well at all! A lot of the times you want to roll towards him to dodge his moves and the backhop doesn't make that easy. The limited mobility hurts the lance so much here because normally the shield makes up for it but this time he hits both hard and fast killing your stamina and compounding the problem even more is the slow unsheath time and lack of rolling making it very hard to rid that slime blight

High mobility and/or power weapons are the way to go with him

SuperSah

Banned
Brachy and lances don't mesh well at all! A lot of the times you want to roll towards him to dodge his moves and the backhop doesn't make that easy. The limited mobility hurts the lance so much here because normally the shield makes up for it but this time he hits both hard and fast killing your stamina and compounding the problem even more is the slow unsheath time and lack of rolling making it very hard to rid that slime blight

And I learned THAT the hardest way possible.. :p

FlyFaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvMhg35kbMM

FlyFaster

I don't know why that video is relevant, I never said impossible.

Go fight brachy with a gunlance or lance and then switch to a DS or GS and tell me what one is easier

How would anecdotal evidence prove anything?

It comes down to how good you are with a weapon. I don't believe GS, LN, DB, GL, ect would be better then any other weapon due to player skill. I personally use GS and both Lances, and while -- I -- do better with GS, it's because the vast majority of my experience in MH games is w/ a GS. Also, weapons like GS and LN have higher learning curves imo then a weapon like DB.

It sure is "easier" to play a Hit and Run style with GS and eventually you will win, but that is leaving the majority of the potential of the weapon behind. Very few people I have ever seen or played with use GS exceptionally well, myself included.

Anura

How would anecdotal evidence prove anything?

It comes down to how good you are with a weapon. I don't believe GS, LN, DB, GL, ect would be better then any other weapon due to player skill. I personally use GS and both Lances, and while -- I -- do better with GS, it's because the vast majority of my experience in MH games is w/ a GS. Also, weapons like GS and LN have higher learning curves imo then a weapon like DB.

It sure is "easier" to play a Hit and Run style with GS and eventually you will win, but that is leaving the majority of the potential of the weapon behind. Very few people I have ever seen or played with use GS exceptionally well, myself included.

I play every weapon type and let me tell you they're not created equally. Hammers always get me the best time and they are just my second most used weapons, I main lances

Some weapons shine more than others against certain monsters and some can't even compete with the damage output of the higher tiered weapons. But this isn't about weapon tiers I was talking more about different weapons being better suited for different monsters. Ever HBGed a plessy? It makes that hunt brain dead. A MHFU rathalos gets wrecked by even an inexperienced hammer or GS user but will usually wreck a somewhat decent lance user. As someone who has both hammered and bowed a white fatalis I can tell you they are both equally do-able but not with equal ease

Edit forgot a paragraph: on the opposite side chosing a hammer on diablos or I.lagi is just asking for trouble especially since lance and DS trounces them. Need to fight fight a gravios? Gunlances and ranged shines here as well as DS. Fighting a Kirin with a DS is a bad idea too, pellet guns, hammers and GSs would work better. They all have their spot against certain monsters

Kandinsky

From the SketchPad OT.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6n5E8YAw
zlCfzRGK7v4oGSGmcW

So amazing I had to share :p

FlyFaster

I play every weapon type and let me tell you they're not created equally. Hammers always get me the best time and they are just my second most used weapons, I main lances

Some weapons shine more than others against certain monsters and some can't even compete with the damage output of the higher tiered weapons. But this isn't about weapon tiers I was talking more about different weapons being better suited for different monsters. Ever HBGed a plessy? It makes that hunt brain dead. A MHFU rathalos gets wrecked by even an inexperienced hammer or GS user but will usually wreck a somewhat decent lance user. As someone who has both hammered and bowed a white fatalis I can tell you they are both equally do-able but not with equal ease

Edit forgot a paragraph: on the opposite side chosing a hammer on diablos or I.lagi is just asking for trouble especially since lance and DS trounces them. Need to fight fight a gravios? Gunlances and ranged shines here as well as DS. Fighting a Kirin with a DS is a bad idea too, pellet guns, hammers and GSs would work better. They all have their spot against certain monsters

but like I was saying... it's doesn't matter if hammer gets YOU the best time, I'm sure there are people who can pull the same or faster time with lance.

It's relative to player skill.

I will give you the fact that certain weapon do have advantages against certain monsters, but again, they can be overcome.

From the SketchPad OT.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6n5E8YAw
zlCfzRGK7v4oGSGmcW

So amazing I had to share :p

godlike.
going to check out the SketchPad OT now.

Anura

but like I was saying... it's doesn't matter if hammer gets YOU the best time, I'm sure there are people who can pull the same or faster time with lance.

It's relative to player skill.

I will give you the fact that certain weapon do have advantages against certain monsters, but again, they can be overcome.

godlike.
going to check out the SketchPad OT now.

I just said Just that lances have a hard time with brachy and that's true I also said you can beat a brachy with a lance and that's no doubt true

But in all the monster hunter games there will always be a broken weapon above the rest that simply does more damage even at the highest levels

In P3rd bows are broken and hammers were king until recently skill plays an important part but weapons are still not made equally a skilled lance user could beat my time but a skilled hammer user could beat his and while this isn't always case with certain monsters its generally excepted that like I said the weapons aren't created equally

Balanced? Yes for the most part but far from equal

Top Bottom