• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

My fellow hunters of gaf I stand before you today to thank you. For all the hardships we faced together and all the courage and bravery I have witnessed. These words come not from a bizzare sense of duty but in earnest and from my heart. Lets give the deviljho his due

It has never been a finer day to die, and never a better group to do it with!

FlyFaster

I'm not sure why they excluded G-Rank from 4, but that's for the inevitable MH4G, I guess.

oh ya, it's coming lol. They do this stuff on purpose. Not that I can complain, every MH game I've payed has been packed to the brim w/ content.

That's the problem with content tho, there can always be more.

I'm sure a G version will come out, I just hope Wii U gets some love.

FlyFaster

I think they've got enough on their plate.

MH4 adds a ton of new features, jumping, climbing, new weapons, leveled terrain, different maps, multiple towns, ect....

Qurupeke

I just hope this game is at least as hard as the original Tri, with that I won't want a G rank right away.
Well, probably it will. It was really ridiculous when monsters like Barroth, Gobul and Rathalos that were hard on Tri were so weak on Ultimate... Even Jaggi was kinda troublesome on Tri and now I killed it in less than 5 mins, with the first LS! The normal quests felt weird... HR at least was kinda challenging.

What I really liked about the different ranks on 3U was that they featured different monsters and they made the game too seem very different. The subspecies and some new monsters really made it a great experience to rank up. I hope that MH4 will be like that...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
G ranks only appear with the G versions, that should be pretty clear. That's why Freedom 2 had no G rank but Freedom Unite did, same thing with Tri and 3 Ultimate.

upandaway

Just did my first G rank quest, the 2 Arzuros one. Hoooooly crap they hit hard. What the hell :lol
But they also died pretty much immediately, 3 minutes each (when I played ridiculously bad), so I dunno what's going on. I would have never guessed they were balanced for port-balanced. Gold Cedeaus too, I was all prepared to time out with the Zinogre lance, but he suddenly went out on me after 25 minutes, and again I played like a 3 year old. So G rank makes all monsters glass cannons? That's terrifying.

Guess I can start figuring out armor sets. As usual, Rhenoplos has amazing skills and requires no effort but looks.. unfortunate. Are there any suggestions?

Anura

Just did my first G rank quest, the 2 Arzuros one. Hoooooly crap they hit hard. What the hell :lol
But they also died pretty much immediately, 3 minutes each (when I played ridiculously bad), so I dunno what's going on. I would have never guessed they were balanced for port-balanced. Gold Cedeaus too, I was all prepared to time out with the Zinogre lance, but he suddenly went out on me after 25 minutes, and again I played like a 3 year old. So G rank makes all monsters glass cannons? That's terrifying.

Guess I can start figuring out armor sets. As usual, Rhenoplos has amazing skills and requires no effort but looks.. unfortunate. Are there any suggestions?

Don't worry they take longer in the higher star quests later on. G1 is balanced for a transition period between high an G

Still not as hard as MHFU, but it will get harder than G1

upandaway

Don't worry they take longer in the higher star quests later on. G1 is balanced for a transition period between high an G

Still not as hard as MHFU, but it will get harder than G1
Oh man. The port HR Deviljho actually took me 35 minutes today because I spent it (to hilarious effects) trying to play like that one lance evasion Brachy video posted a bit back (blocking/countering instead of evading).
I barely got hit, so... I guess that's something. It was worth trying, haha. Feels like I was playing lance wrong when it's this easy, but I don't think I can get my DPS high enough to justify it.

I'm playing around with the Arzuros set and it seems I can quite easily make this gathering set (full Arzorus):
Gathering +2
Charm Chaser
Spirit's Whim
Speed Gatherer
(Gourmand)
(Honey Hunter)

With 7 (!) slots leftover, so one extra C skill, I guess either Ranger or Transporter.. it's so annoying that I can't upgrade Whim, but whatever. I don't even care about the skill, it's just the principle of it.

Anura

Just got back from the dual savage jho quest! My WII U disc is still broke so I had to solo. It wasn't that bad at all I had 0 carts and used an SnS

I caved in and I bought MH3U (I had already bought Tri for Wii and played it only for a hour :/), what's your advices to begin the game for a total beginner MonHunGaf ? Thanks !

SuperSah

Banned
I caved in and I bought MH3U (I had already bought Tri for Wii and played it only for a hour :/), what's your advices to begin the game for a total beginner MonHunGaf ? Thanks !

Work at it, fail shit loads, learn.

Don't be afraid to take your time with monsters and try to keep armor/weapons up-to-date.

It's a hard and long start (and boring) but get past it and man, it throws rewards at you like money.

Anura

Most important part about starting is finding a weapon type you enjoy and can work with. Let me try to break down all the weapon types and how beginner friendly they are

Great sword (GS): one of the "power" weapons, and not too good for newcomers. It's both a hit and run and a tactical heavy hitter. Sheathing is THE most important thing to do with a GS and very rarely is it unsheathed for long

Long Sword (LS): Relatively an easy weapon for newcomers but hard to master. The basics are full up the bar by attacking and press R to unleash a combo to make your sword stronger.

Sword and shield (SnS): one of the two weapons best suited for newcomers. Fast attacking but not very strong. Has both a shield for desperate times and can use items while unsheathed.

Dual swords (dual blades, DB, DS): the other one of the newcomer friendly weapons. Lacking the shield and ease of item use but makes up for it in a better dash and more power. Press R to enter demonizer mode and fill up your bar by hitting monsters. Keeping the bar filled is important

Hammer: the epitome of easy to use hard to master, so much more so than any other weapon. Basically hit the monsters head to KO it. Keeping a lock on the head is the name of the game and not easy to do for most monsters. Another "power" weapon

Hunting Horn (HH): a support weapon, and generally easier to use than the hammer. A good hammer user will out damage and out KO a hunting horn user, but that takes a REALLY good hammer user. The gimmick here is each attack type gives you a "note" and once you get a specific set of notes you hit R and give a buff to you and your team

Lance: a slow yet tank like weapon. Here you want to hug the monster and keep the pressure on. Things like the counter and a backhop that you can do in succession help in this task

Gunlance (GL): arguably a "power" weapon. To stab press X and to explode press A. Learning the vast amount of attack strings as well as learning efficient shield and shelling use are viral to using this weapon

Switch axe (SA): axe is the faster one in movement speed but sword is faster with attack speed. pretty strait forward attack patterns all around. press R to switch modes pretty easy for new players

Ranged weapons as a whole should be saved for when you grasp the game a little better. But the general gist of it is Heavy Bowgun (HBG) is a power weapon Light Bowgun (LBG) is more nimble and better for support and bow is safe but generally weak (without a certain broken status ailment)

Edit:
Los/Ian headlocking has been in MH since monster hunter 1. Used to be done with the fatalis lance.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYDbkFcaCp4

Yeah you can even do it to Goldbeard ceadeus with a solo HBG

I think they've got enough on their plate.

MH4 adds a ton of new features, jumping, climbing, new weapons, leveled terrain, different maps, multiple towns, ect....

Let's hope they add a remotely compelling plot. Anything really to drive the player along towards a goal.

Mondriaan

Let's hope they add a remotely compelling plot. Anything really to drive the player along towards a goal.
The worst thing to happen to many distinctly Japanese games was the addition of "compelling plots" for the sake of appealing to the west, so let's hope that they don't "fix" things that aren't broken.

FlyFaster

personally I hope they keep the game light in nature and light on story. Part of the charm of the world of Monster Hunter is not knowing everything. I don't think the game needs Skyrim levels of lore (not saying this is what you are asking for).

Maybe a little more exposition, but really, it's not why I play MH. The fighting, crafting, skills combining, and fighting are the reason I play.

However I will add one thing that I would like to see return is the Felyne system from MHFU. Except I want it bigger and more indepth. Would love to raise a Felyne and have a deeper training experience with them. The entire experience with the Felynes could be greatly expanded on.

- Breeding Feylnes- similar to something like FF7 chocobo breeding would be awesome, and the ability to breed your Felyne with other players Felynes that you meet online. Finding the right mate for your Felyne could make the next generation grow in the ways you want it too.

- Ability to walk around the towns with other people. I always though it was weird that I can only see people online in the tavern where the quest gate is. It's only 4 players, would be cool to see people messing about in their boxes or at the armory. A slight redesign of the towns/cities would be needed but it wouldn't take much.

Roubjon

In regards to adding a story to MH4, I really hope they don't. The beginning to MH3U was already filled with walls of text that I continuously kept skipping over. I think they should just have an option right from the start asking if you'd like to skip the 1 star quests and head straight to the 2 star. A massive chunk of the people playing MH now know what they are getting into and are there to kill massive beasts with friends.

Fistwell

However I will add one thing that I would like to see return is the Felyne system from MHFU. Except I want it bigger and more indepth. Would love to raise a Felyne and have a deeper training experience with them. The entire experience with the Felynes could be greatly expanded on.

- Breeding Feylnes- similar to something like FF7 chocobo breeding would be awesome, and the ability to breed your Felyne with other players Felynes that you meet online. Finding the right mate for your Felyne could make the next generation grow in the ways you want it too.
ef152a20_YesJackNicholson.gif
I FUCKING LOVE FELYNES!?!!

Cerity

- Ability to walk around the towns with other people. I always though it was weird that I can only see people online in the tavern where the quest gate is. It's only 4 players, would be cool to see people messing about in their boxes or at the armory. A slight redesign of the towns/cities would be needed but it wouldn't take much.

I agree with this. Just the walking around town thing? I think that should be restricted to adhoc visits. Online should be the tavern/marina deal.

Mondriaan

Felynes are supposed to be sentient beings. I don't know what in-game story could possibly justify allowing you to breed them.

Even if you came up with a breeding explanation that involved magic crystals and no sex, it would still be creepy.

Alrus

Getting Rathalos plates is such a pain... Doesn't help that I find Rathalos to be one of the most irritating fight... Well it's okay with a Bow I guess but then cutting the tail is out of the question and that makes getting plates even more of a pain...

Anura

Getting Rathalos plates is such a pain... Doesn't help that I find Rathalos to be one of the most irritating fight... Well it's okay with a Bow I guess but then cutting the tail is out of the question and that makes getting plates even more of a pain...
I find him really easy with GS, LS , and hammer

What weapons do you use? I might be able to give some tips

Cerity

just think about how much of a pain he used to be in the 2nd gen games heh.

YOU WANT TO FIGHT? NAH I'LL FLY AROUND FOR THE NEXT 10 MINUTES.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to start playing this again. I had the urge recently...I'll probably sit down and have a go at it later tonight. Probably just free hunt a G Jaggi or something to get my bearings straight.

Fistwell

Well, I'm doing some work and smoking some ribs at the moment. I'll probably try and play in a few hours. If there's a small group that wants to join up, I'd love to run some low level hunts with minimal risk.
So long as we don't go too crazy and sign up for dble savage jho, event brachy or giant green plesi, we can probably run any level hunts with little to no risk whatsoever. =)

Edit: I'll go ahead and send you a FR.

Top Bottom