• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Alrus

I find him really easy with GS, LS , and hammer

What weapons do you use? I might be able to give some tips

Well I usually go with a Lance or Dual Swords. I really suck at using GS so I haven't tried that against him... (can't imagine fighting him with a slow weapon tbh) I don't know, maybe it's because I haven't played in a while but he gives me much more trouble than I remembered.

Anura

Well I usually go with a Lance or Dual Swords. I really suck at using GS so I haven't tried that against him... (can't imagine fighting him with a slow weapon tbh) I don't know, maybe it's because I haven't played in a while but he gives me much more trouble than I remembered.

Personally I think Lance is actually deceptively good at Los, it's just being aware of the wind gusts and fireballs. You see, lance is really good at sticking to and attacking the head. Sticking by the head and spamming well placed counters is the way to go. He is super predictable when you place yourself by the head and flinches a lot. All of his moves come out fast and will be countered even if you didn't expect that specific attack

However seeing as you're going for plates this doesn't help all that much as it makes getting the tail hard. I recommended the GS because it has a very easy time getting the tail along with LS. With DS and lance however you're going to have a hard time. Flash bombs, and shock traps would certainly help but you might want the trap to capture

Cerity

Well sure if he ever stopped being flash bombed long enough and being super predictable

Which is still way more annoying than the current gen los.

So, I had plans to buy a bunch of games this fall. This got in the way. Only been off line tho.

Yep, it's good, 3u should keep me well until pokemon comes out.

The state of bows in this game is depressing though, I can manage okay times with high element bows but outside of that. Might be time to return to the GS, doing a few arena runs with it reminded how satisfying it can be.

Anura

Which is still way more annoying than the current gen los.

Yep, it's good, 3u should keep me well until pokemon comes out.

The state of bows in this game is depressing though, I can manage okay times with high element bows but outside of that. Might be time to return to the GS, doing a few arena runs with it reminded how satisfying it can be.

I guess so, I think I just had MHFU Los easy because I only hammered or GSed him back then. The rediculous amount of free hits combined with KO meant he doesn't get up much.

Also in regards to bow coming off of MHP3rd they suck but they were broken in P3rd (disregarding slime in this count of course) I have done a close to bow only run in MHFU but I haven't done it in this game so I can only compare end-game and they seem a little worse in this game...

I think it's mostly because very few bows actually have power coatings and that's something they almost need for good damage!

Fistwell

Also in regards to bow coming off of MHP3rd they suck but they were broken in P3rd (disregarding slime in this count of course) I have done a close to bow only run in MHFU but I haven't done it in this game so I can only compare end-game and they seem a little worse in this game...

I think it's mostly because very few bows actually have power coatings and that's something they almost need for good damage!
I've barely touched bows, like, ever. Was gonna try it on my end-game-ish char, but I couldn't figure out what to craft or what worked for what or whatever. I crafted a cple but they felt super gimpy compared to bowguns. Which might as well be a sign of me not knowing how to use them. Thinking of rolling a new char to see how it is to progress through the game with bows.

andthebeatgoeson

Do we have to be friends to play online? Should I be close in rank? I'm only on the level 3 star quests.

If anybody is interested, my nnid is andthebeatgoeson. Do I need a head set our is it thru the mic on the game pad?

Do we have to be friends to play online? Should I be close in rank? I'm only on the level 3 star quests.

If anybody is interested, my nnid is andthebeatgoeson. Do I need a head set our is it thru the mic on the game pad?
No need to be friends to play online, just makes finding a room with online peeps easier.

You can talk via the GamePad, though you will hear everything, like the after hunt constant button press to send things to your storage box XD.

Is your 3 star rank in village quests? And quests are limited to HR ranking to take on, so if someone is G-Rank "HR6" and they do a quest of that rank, you will not be able to join.

And I will go online with peeps, if my Wii U wasn't in for repairs right now =/.

upandaway

Phew, managed to hack together a Sharpness+1 set before doing any semi-hard G quest. Helios Z helm and legs, Rhenoplos hands, Qurupeco pants and Wroggi body.. all very easy and early parts.
I could get Earplugs and Focus for the GS, StamRecov and Speed Sharpening for DS, Artillery Expert and Speed Sharpening for GL, and Guard+2 and either Speed Sharpening or Earplugs for Lance. Also one Gunlance set (thanks to a good charm) with Water Atk +1.

Considering they're all the same parts, it turned out way better than I expected, and way earlier than I expected. Feels weird, but I'll take it. Also, it looks pretty cool.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey

Hey game

You see that quest description there? Where it says something like "Fight a Barioth" or "Fight a Diablos" or "Fight an Glacial Agnaktor?"

Do you see the phrase "Fight a Deviljho" there?

No?

Then why do you keep fucking sending Deviljohs in?

They are not what I'm interested in hunting

Deviljoh is boring as shit. He's like a mix between Barroth and Duramboros with all of the interesting aspects of those fights torn out, leaving what is one of the more boring fights in the game. Except he has a billion health and a billion damage. But he's not fun. He's not interesting. And I'm sick of seeing him be the ambient monster in every goddamn quest

Anura

Hey

Hey game

You see that quest description there? Where it says something like "Fight a Barioth" or "Fight a Diablos" or "Fight an Glacial Agnaktor?"

Do you see the phrase "Fight a Deviljho" there?

No?

Then why do you keep fucking sending Deviljohs in?

They are not what I'm interested in hunting

Deviljoh is boring as shit. He's like a mix between Barroth and Duramboros with all of the interesting aspects of those fights torn out, leaving what is one of the more boring fights in the game. Except he has a billion health and a billion damage. But he's not fun. He's not interesting. And I'm sick of seeing him be the ambient monster in every goddamn quest

If it makes you feel better we get rajang and yian guruga back in 4!

Good to see people still playing and enjoying this, I picked up both the 3DS and Wii U versions upon release and put 15ish hours or so in. Then life happened and before I knew it I was too intimidated to get back into it when I had other stuff to play.

I still haven't played online but have been thinking about jumping back in if there would be people to play with. Anyone else just starting out?

Anura

So, how far can one go with the guild quests solo wise ? I only have the 3ds xl version .

Everything! DLC alatreon, dire miralis, ceadeus everything can be soloed

jhen, DLC super lagi/brachy/S. Jin are the only things that are VERY hard to solo but people have done it

isual

Everything! DLC alatreon, dire miralis, ceadeus everything can be soloed

jhen, DLC super lagi/brachy/S. Jin are the only things that are VERY hard to solo but people have done it

So what's the ideal armor progression ? I think I'll just stick with the village quests until rank 8 or so. Old ps2 mh vet here.

I'm afraid there's no "ideal progression". At best you can find some shakey consensus amongst weapon types, but even then it highly depends on your play style.

3 Ultimate starts you off with a pretty good basic set, so in theory you don't really have to worry too much about armour for the Low Rank missions. Just focus on fighting the monsters that are fun to take down and you should get the lion's share of their materials with ease. Similarly, I was swimming in Jaggi, Arzuros and Royal Ludroth parts quite fast without going out of my way to chase them. Those should be a decent bump and offer some elemental variation for pretty much any class. I also got some really good mileage out of all the Rhenoplos sets as a hammer user.

isual

I'm afraid there's no "ideal progression". At best you can find some shakey consensus amongst weapon types, but even then it highly depends on your play style.

3 Ultimate starts you off with a pretty good basic set, so in theory you don't really have to worry too much about armour for the Low Rank missions. Just focus on fighting the monsters that are fun to take down and you should get the lion's share of their materials with ease. Similarly, I was swimming in Jaggi, Arzuros and Royal Ludroth parts quite fast without going out of my way to chase them. Those should be decent bump and offer some elemental variation for pretty much any class. I also got some really good mileage out of all the Rhenoplos sets as a hammer user.

cool. I'm already at 5 star village quests, unlocked the rathalos etc.

Finally completed the barroth set, then I'll work on getting a fire longsword so I can properly damage lagiarcus. I used a lightning longsword, then after I defeated lagi the first time, I finally got to the volcano area and upgraded it to an ice LS.

I could grind for ian and los armor, but really, I think that the third time grinding the same armor really isn't productive. I'll most likely just get the armor sets from the monsters in this game, or whatever I think will help me move up quest wise (then I'll just work on the new mh3u sets that I didn't get while I was playing low rank village since i'm sure there will be S rank sets in high rank).

also, i've been watching these guys. their commentary is so fun and entertaining while hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhYl1btxOhI

tfw I'll never play online due to 3dsxl version.

Anyone close?
tumblr_msejxet5lm1sc2rhqo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_msejxet5lm1sc2rhqo2_1280.jpg

And you thought you played mh3u a lot, check out these two fellows I met and played online with :p
From http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/

No sweat. Sry we didnt wait more! Still, had loads of fun.
for reals tho? Savage jho still scares the shit out of me..... ;~;

I only need 4 coats for the full set, then I just need some weapons, so I don't need to do savage again unless any weapons need BB.

But yeah, dragon breath just fucks me up everytime. We should try double savage for fun.

Anura

C'mon festwill! Grab the bull by the horns or erm... The jho by the tail! I soloed that quest don't chicken out on me

Meesh

Dunno If this has been mentioned yet, but anyone notice there's no preview for upcoming quests next week for dl? What's up with that, they run outta goodies to throw our way? I hope they keep plugging away at that dl content, it's one of the few things I look forward to. Never mind the fact that we've hardly had any of the reskins of the Japanese weps and armors...

Dunno If this has been mentioned yet, but anyone notice there's no preview for upcoming quests next week for dl? What's up with that, they run outta goodies to throw our way? I hope they keep plugging away at that dl content, it's one of the few things I look forward to. Never mind the fact that we've hardly had any of the reskins of the Japanese weps and armors...
You know that these event quest etc are actually on the disc/carts? So more than likely they've ran out, unlikely to get any new ones now, especially with the release of MH4 imminent...in Japan anyway.

Mondriaan

You know that these event quest etc are actually on the disc/carts? So more than likely they've ran out, unlikely to get any new ones now, especially with the release of MH4 imminent...in Japan anyway.
Are you sure about that? I notice connection lag when accepting event quests that don't happen with regular quests.

That quest join lag was much worse in the PSP games, though

Are you sure about that? I notice connection lag when accepting event quests that don't happen with regular quests.

That quest join lag was much worse in the PSP games, though
IIRC when the game released people found that the dlc quests etc were only 256KB or something, I'm guessing the lag is to check if you had it downloaded the quest or something. For the PSP version I believe those were quest that was made, they were at least a MB in size or larger but fewer.

I may be wrong, hopefully someone will correct me if I am, but as far as I remember there were talks that the DLCs were basically on the cart/discs.

MNC

Fuck you fuck you fuck you I just want to get a Wroggi Scale, I need to do Toxic Troublemaker quest each time I want to just farm an item and I only keep it if I win the battle? God damn it.

tuffy

Fuck you fuck you fuck you I just want to get a Wroggi Scale, I need to do Toxic Troublemaker quest each time I want to just farm an item and I only keep it if I win the battle? God damn it.
If you just need a Wroggi Scale from the little Wroggies, why not do the Flooded Forest harvest tour quest instead? Just hunt a few of the little guys, then turn in the Paw Pass ticket which appears in the blue box after a couple of minutes have passed.

MNC

If you just need a Wroggi Scale from the little Wroggies, why not do the Flooded Forest harvest tour quest instead? Just hunt a few of the little guys, then turn in the Paw Pass ticket which appears in the blue box after a couple of minutes have passed.

They're nowhere to be found with the Tour Quest.

Insaniac

technically I think you keep if you fail too right?

tuffy

They're nowhere to be found with the Tour Quest.
If that's the case, you should be able to keep anything carved even if you fail the quest (unlike abandoning, which restores everything to pre-quest condition) unless I'm misremembering things. So just carve the scales you need, then quickly triple cart to bring them back.

Gattuso

the wroggi only appears in high and g rank tours so just fail the quest after you got what you need like others have said.

Anura

tuffy

I'd love to see just one video with someone gunning things, to see if they've made any changes to rapid/crouch firing.

Meesh

B,b,b,buuuuut what about all those jackets/armors/weps in the Japanese version? Don't tell me we'll never get to see NA versions...that's just sad. And no, I didn't realize those items were already on disc, those cheeky bastards...

B,b,b,buuuuut what about all those jackets/armors/weps in the Japanese version? Don't tell me we'll never get to see NA versions...that's just sad. And no, I didn't realize those items were already on disc, those cheeky bastards...

There's probably more "DLC" quests coming (we shall see), just know that they are finite and that some stuff we may or may never get due to those weapons and armour being collaboration stuff from other Japanese companies etc (legality issues etc). It's the reason we can't play with Japanese players online, hopefully they'll have the foresight to have the legal details sorted for MH4, so we can finally play with Japanese hunters online or such.

Mondriaan

IIRC when the game released people found that the dlc quests etc were only 256KB or something, I'm guessing the lag is to check if you had it downloaded the quest or something. For the PSP version I believe those were quest that was made, they were at least a MB in size or larger but fewer.

I may be wrong, hopefully someone will correct me if I am, but as far as I remember there were talks that the DLCs were basically on the cart/discs.
All the monsters and equipment were on the disc for the PSP version and probably the 3ds/Wii U versions as well. Also, you can play event quests that you haven't downloaded since only the person who is posting the quest needs to download it.

The special tickets that you get from various event quests are all on disc, but the only way to obtain them is through those event quests.

also

Banned
A bit off topic but since the MH Community thread seems kind of dead, I figured this would be the best place to ask.
There's an EU PSN sale and the PSP MH games are really cheap. For me conquering a new monster is the most enjoyable part of MH so I'm seriously considering getting Freedom and Freedom Unite to experience all the 1st and 2nd generation monsters that were missing in 3U (my first and only MH game).
Is it worth to buy them or are their mechanics so outdated/frustrating that I'm better off hoping all those monster be included in MH 4 and its sequels?
Do those 2 games include every monster that's not in 3U or Portable 3rd exclusive?
How hard is it to solo the quests compared to 3U? For the record, I've soloed most of the non-DLC G-rank quests (only missing a few arena quests and A. Laggy).
How grindy are those games compared to 3U? 3U was okay (I only ever really farmed Brachy, Plesi and Diablos) and I could put up with a little more repetition but not too much. I don't want to have to constantly upgrade my armor or craft too many monster specific sets.
How much time do you have to spend doing ''non hunting stuff''? 3U was very good in this regard and I rarely needed to waste time gathering materials, mining or carving small monsters.

I would really appreciate it if one of the MH veterans took some time to answer my questions.

EDIT: After checking the monster list it seems that Freedom Unite has all the 1st and 2nd generation monsters so I wouldn't need Freedom.

Chuckpebble

Since there's a little MH4 info popping up in here, I felt the need to post something that I'm very excited about: item pouch sets.
That is probably not the official name, but the two descriptions that I've read are very close to something that I pined for during Tri when I was mainly a bowgunner.

Basically, you can store a template of what items you want to bring on your quest, and when you switch to it, it'll fill your pockets with those items as long as you have enough. You could have ammo sets with the proper elemental and status shots to go with certain bowguns. You could have a hunting set with all of your charms and talons and whetstones. You could have a gathering set with just picks and nets and plenty of free space.

Right now, I achieve the same effect by using a gunner set strictly for gathering. This is pretty cool.

tuffy

I like pouch sets already. Right now I've been lugging around all the elemental shots, a subset of the physical ones and a handful of utility shots - even if the bowgun I'm using can't fire them - just to avoid spending a lot of time at the box swapping them out between quests. But then I've got to offload a bunch of stuff to the empty blademaster's pouch to have enough space to go on a gathering run.

I'm not going to miss any of that management at all.

Anura

A bit off topic but since the MH Community thread seems kind of dead, I figured this would be the best place to ask.
There's an EU PSN sale and the PSP MH games are really cheap. For me conquering a new monster is the most enjoyable part of MH so I'm seriously considering getting Freedom and Freedom Unite to experience all the 1st and 2nd generation monsters that were missing in 3U (my first and only MH game).
Is it worth to buy them or are their mechanics so outdated/frustrating that I'm better off hoping all those monster be included in MH 4 and its sequels?
Do those 2 games include every monster that's not in 3U or Portable 3rd exclusive?
How hard is it to solo the quests compared to 3U? For the record, I've soloed most of the non-DLC G-rank quests (only missing a few arena quests and A. Laggy).
How grindy are those games compared to 3U? 3U was okay (I only ever really farmed Brachy, Plesi and Diablos) and I could put up with a little more repetition but not too much. I don't want to have to constantly upgrade my armor or craft too many monster specific sets.
How much time do you have to spend doing ''non hunting stuff''? 3U was very good in this regard and I rarely needed to waste time gathering materials, mining or carving small monsters.

I would really appreciate it if one of the MH veterans took some time to answer my questions.

EDIT: After checking the monster list it seems that Freedom Unite has all the 1st and 2nd generation monsters so I wouldn't need Freedom.

the mechanics certainly are out dated but I think its still worthy of a shot. The way the hitboxes and monster movement work make you think more about where you are in relation to the monster. Remember in FU positioning is king! and it will be a harder game to solo by a long shot FU is a harder game over all afterall

also

Banned
the mechanics certainly are out dated but I think its still worthy of a shot. The way the hitboxes and monster movement work make you think more about where you are in relation to the monster. Remember in FU positioning is king! and it will be a harder game to solo by a long shot FU is a harder game over all afterall

Thanks for the answer. Could you also tell me how grindy it is and how much resource gathering you have to do compared to 3U?

Mondriaan

Thanks for the answer. Could you also tell me how grindy it is and how much resource gathering you have to do compared to 3U?
I would say that it's roughly the same in terms of grinding and resource gathering. You could pretty much get through the entire game with one or two weapons and the same armor set, if you really want.

If you're going for end-game stuff, MH has always been a grind, although it's still probably nothing compared to Frontiers or the PS2 game(s).

Top Bottom