• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fistwell

A bit off topic but since the MH Community thread seems kind of dead, I figured this would be the best place to ask.
There's an EU PSN sale and the PSP MH games are really cheap. For me conquering a new monster is the most enjoyable part of MH so I'm seriously considering getting Freedom and Freedom Unite to experience all the 1st and 2nd generation monsters that were missing in 3U (my first and only MH game).
Is it worth to buy them or are their mechanics so outdated/frustrating that I'm better off hoping all those monster be included in MH 4 and its sequels?
Do those 2 games include every monster that's not in 3U or Portable 3rd exclusive?
How hard is it to solo the quests compared to 3U? For the record, I've soloed most of the non-DLC G-rank quests (only missing a few arena quests and A. Laggy).
How grindy are those games compared to 3U? 3U was okay (I only ever really farmed Brachy, Plesi and Diablos) and I could put up with a little more repetition but not too much. I don't want to have to constantly upgrade my armor or craft too many monster specific sets.
How much time do you have to spend doing ''non hunting stuff''? 3U was very good in this regard and I rarely needed to waste time gathering materials, mining or carving small monsters.

I would really appreciate it if one of the MH veterans took some time to answer my questions.

EDIT: After checking the monster list it seems that Freedom Unite has all the 1st and 2nd generation monsters so I wouldn't need Freedom.
Yeah as you said, unite is a compilation of 1 and 2, so it's a safe bet in terms of content.

Regarding mechanics, it's very similar to 3U. The main thing is, over the years, they've made it more convenient to play the games, so there are probably going to be some small irritating things at first, but you'll get used to it (the farm for instance is not as convenient as in 3).

Soloing in unite was a lot more challenging (to me) than in 3U (I've solo'd a small number of G rank Qs in 3U, can't say I'm an expert). There are road blocks/gear checks that started to appear (for me) around the end of high rank (in unite I mean). I probably failed Lao Shan a good few times before bringing enough DPS. Later on, sometimes it felt as though to tackle the quest I wanted to do, I needed to grind another monster... unlocked by the quest I wanted to do in the first place but couldn't.

I don't remember having to do too much gathering, not significantly more than I did in 3U.

Enjoy Khezu!!! (I <3 Khezu!!!)

And enjoy the hipchecks!! (<\3 Plesi)

also

Banned
Ok, thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought FU but I still want to at least finish all of 3U's non DLC quests before moving on. I'm sure I will have plenty of time to play FU while waiting for 4 to hit the west ;_;

@Festwill
Giginox probably takes the top spot on my ''most hated monsters'' list so I'm sure I will just looooove Khezu. I'm also eager to experience Plesi's legendary hip check before it got ''fixed''.

Ok, thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought FU but I still want to at least finish all of 3U's non DLC quests before moving on. I'm sure I will have plenty of time to play FU while waiting for 4 to hit the west ;_;

@Festwill
Giginox probably takes the top spot on my ''most hated monsters'' list so I'm sure I will just looooove Khezu. I'm also eager to experience Plesi's legendary hip check before it got ''fixed''.
http://youtu.be/YOGn5mhngVA

upandaway

I played about 60 hours of MHFU after Tri, and it was fun but very hard. Hitboxes were insane.

Khezu's discharge, for example, I remember that one. Screw that hitbox, I had a worse time with it than Plesioth's hip check.

isual

the mechanics certainly are out dated but I think its still worthy of a shot. The way the hitboxes and monster movement work make you think more about where you are in relation to the monster. Remember in FU positioning is king! and it will be a harder game to solo by a long shot FU is a harder game over all afterall

Can't remember. But FU (haha FU) was hard for me when I got to narga...then again , I am a MH vet since ps2, and narga was fast as heck .

Anura

Can't remember. But FU (haha FU) was hard for me when I got to narga...then again , I am a MH vet since ps2, and narga was fast as heck .

As someone who played gen 3 first and went back to FU, narga was familiar and easy because I could roll through his attacks

Edit: I think I should mention it was everything up to narga that I had trouble with lol

MNC

technically I think you keep if you fail too right?

If that's the case, you should be able to keep anything carved even if you fail the quest (unlike abandoning, which restores everything to pre-quest condition) unless I'm misremembering things. So just carve the scales you need, then quickly triple cart to bring them back.
Yup. Correct. Thanks!

And now to try my hand at Royal Ludroth... Again.

Man. This game. I love it. I want to love it more. But then my timer runs out and I'm just about ready to smash my 3DSXL into bits.

tuffy

And now to try my hand at Royal Ludroth... Again.

Man. This game. I love it. I want to love it more. But then my timer runs out and I'm just about ready to smash my 3DSXL into bits.
What weapon are you using?

If you're timing out a lot - or getting close to it - maybe there's some tactic that you're missing or a weapon "gimmick" that you're not using. I know I had that same problem pretty early on but was able to cut my hunt times in half by figuring out that attacks which worked against Great Jaggi don't always cut it against Lagiacrus.

MNC

What weapon are you using?

If you're timing out a lot - or getting close to it - maybe there's some tactic that you're missing or a weapon "gimmick" that you're not using. I know I had that same problem pretty early on but was able to cut my hunt times in half by figuring out that attacks which worked against Great Jaggi don't always cut it against Lagiacrus.
usually using hammer, i could get great jaggi/wroggi/querepeco pretty easily (querepeco in 2 tries) and trying out gunlance... I dunno, i probably am missing a shield with my hammer but i dodgeroll reasonably well.

With hammer i usually strike with the R attack first then combo into other attacks. The R attack (or holstering and attacking) i find are usually tge fastest weapons.

Also, bone hammer breaks down mad fast.

usually using hammer, i could get great jaggi/wroggi/querepeco pretty easily (querepeco in 2 tries) and trying out gunlance... I dunno, i probably am missing a shield with my hammer but i dodgeroll reasonably well.

With hammer i usually strike with the R attack first then combo into other attacks. The R attack (or holstering and attacking) i find are usually tge fastest weapons.

Also, bone hammer breaks down mad fast.
The only monster that routinely gave me time-out problems were the underwater ones and a Duramboros. Poor sharpness is sadly part of the deal and finding opportunities as a slow-weapon user takes a little getting used to. The R->X->X->X... combo is a pretty good one to get in a lot of hits, but I don't think it should be your primary method of attacking. Treat it more as a way to get some cheap hit-and-run hits while a monster is occupied or when you can't safely do a charge.

The way I do almost all fights is keeping the weapon drawn, wait for it to initiate an attack and walk/roll out of the way of it. Most monsters have attacks that will occupy them for a few seconds like a charge or a double-tail swipe. Once you're in a safe place, start charging the hammer and go for a charged smash on the head. (Stand still when releasing your charge) Be sure to bail once you're done, since being in front of a monster's face is one of the most dangerous places you can be. Using pitfall traps usually gives you excellent opportunities to go straight for the head too.

Be very careful of this attack when you're playing with others though, since it's one of those attacks that sends everyone flying. A "safe" way to still use your charge without bothering others is to use it as a spin attack.(Move when releasing your charge) Don't forget to time your X button after a few rotations to do a devastating golf swing. This is a rather dangerous attack to use since can't you break out of it very quickly and the first couple of hits aren't very strong.

tuffy

Man those 3x monster quests are a godsend for solo G-Rank. Just got a full Barioth X armor set in 5 quests.
They're practically made for part farming. I took a 3 Plesioth one just yesterday with a group and we spent more time waiting for monster corpses to vanish than fighting.

upandaway

Just set up the Wii U and everything, can I play online with you guys. However I only have one wall adapter right now so I can't charge the controller while playing, so if anyone wants to play I'm good, just say so here. Festwill hit me up when you can!

Anyway I was shocked by how barren the online is. I'm pretty sure Tri wasn't any worse in its last legs before it shut down. Holy crap.

I was also shocked by how bad I'm playing with the game pad, and my fingers are really strained after only an hour or so. Hopefully it's just something to get used to. Can I play using the Classic Controller (with a Wiimote)?

Gattuso

Just set up the Wii U and everything, can I play online with you guys. However I only have one wall adapter right now so I can't charge the controller while playing, so if anyone wants to play I'm good, just say so here. Festwill hit me up when you can!

Anyway I was shocked by how barren the online is. I'm pretty sure Tri wasn't any worse in its last legs before it shut down. Holy crap.

I was also shocked by how bad I'm playing with the game pad, and my fingers are really strained after only an hour or so. Hopefully it's just something to get used to. Can I play using the Classic Controller (with a Wiimote)?
I can play even though its a little bit past midnight (I stay up way later than I should anyway)
I believe the controller works fine, I don't remember if it had to be pro or not.

You know that these event quest etc are actually on the disc/carts? So more than likely they've ran out, unlikely to get any new ones now, especially with the release of MH4 imminent...in Japan anyway.

This is false. The Event-related models (weapons, Shakalaka mask) are indeed already in the game however you're downloading full quest data (monster data, rewards, translations in all 5 languages etc.). In MHTri quest data was about 1 MB and the only Event quest that was actually written on the disc was the Jhen Mohran one.

So they can possibly do whatever quest they want, affect monster sizes, attack, etc. but not add new things that would require models (new monsters, new weapons…) or mechanics that are not in the game (for example putting an Alatreon in Volcano would likely make the game crash like in MHTri because there is no roaming data for Alatreon in the Volcano area).

Fistwell

Festwill hit me up when you can!

Present! I got to work, but I can get online later tonight, like 6PM CEST. Although, tonight is football (from like 9 to 11 CEST), and tomorrow I'll be in and out most of the day. I should be around tomorrow late afternoon though. What HR are you? I have a HR0 gunner and a HR140 all around char.

Regarding online, it gets up to 500-800 people on the first G rank server on weeknights, which is more than enough. Dunno about other servers.

And, yes, you can play with the classic controller, or classic controller pro. I used to use the latter, but ended up getting the new one for Wii U (got sick of the tampon dongle). Can't say I'm too comfortable with the Wii U pad. I've mainly only used it when doing mindless volcano runs while the wife was watching TV.

upandaway

Couldn't/can't today, maybe tomorrow. HR6, and I still gotta work on jaspers and Brachy gems for my last HR weapons, but whatever's cool.

Couldn't/can't today, maybe tomorrow. HR6, and I still gotta work on jaspers and Brachy gems for my last HR weapons, but whatever's cool.
I'm in for this =D, got my Wii U back...found no problems apparently =/ seems I've gotta move any game with update data to the Wii U memory.
And, yes, you can play with the classic controller, or classic controller pro. I used to use the latter, but ended up getting the new one for Wii U (got sick of the tampon dongle). Can't say I'm too comfortable with the Wii U pad. I've mainly only used it when doing mindless volcano runs while the wife was watching TV.
The Wii U Pro controller's battey is so awesome =D

MNC

The only monster that routinely gave me time-out problems were the underwater ones and a Duramboros. Poor sharpness is sadly part of the deal and finding opportunities as a slow-weapon user takes a little getting used to. The R->X->X->X... combo is a pretty good one to get in a lot of hits, but I don't think it should be your primary method of attacking. Treat it more as a way to get some cheap hit-and-run hits while a monster is occupied or when you can't safely do a charge.

The way I do almost all fights is keeping the weapon drawn, wait for it to initiate an attack and walk/roll out of the way of it. Most monsters have attacks that will occupy them for a few seconds like a charge or a double-tail swipe. Once you're in a safe place, start charging the hammer and go for a charged smash on the head. (Stand still when releasing your charge) Be sure to bail once you're done, since being in front of a monster's face is one of the most dangerous places you can be. Using pitfall traps usually gives you excellent opportunities to go straight for the head too.

Be very careful of this attack when you're playing with others though, since it's one of those attacks that sends everyone flying. A "safe" way to still use your charge without bothering others is to use it as a spin attack.(Move when releasing your charge) Don't forget to time your X button after a few rotations to do a devastating golf swing. This is a rather dangerous attack to use since can't you break out of it very quickly and the first couple of hits aren't very strong.

I went back to the slightly faster LS and starting to get the hang of that first. It's a great weapon with decent damage imo (though this is my first monster hunter so I have no idea if that's true) Got Royal Ludroth down with a lot more ease, but it was still a challenge!

tuffy

The Wii U pad's all I've been using lately, especially now that I've swapped in a larger battery that doesn't give out after a couple of hours. It's nice being able to lounge around playing anywhere in the room and it frees up the TV for sports in the background. And if I've got to duck into the restroom during a string of online hunts, nobody ever has to know.

The Wii U pad's all I've been using lately, especially now that I've swapped in a larger battery that doesn't give out after a couple of hours. It's nice being able to lounge around playing anywhere in the room and it frees up the TV for sports in the background. And if I've got to duck into the restroom during a string of online hunts, nobody ever has to know.
Mic's off right ;P

Man I wish I can attempt the restroom Wii U thing, but my walls are too thick lmao XD

Fistwell

And now every time I hunt with you, I'll just picture you sitting on the throne. ;D

DoubleTap

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this.

I'm planning on purchasing the 2DS and want to transfer everything except my MH3U data because of the CPP.

Here's my plan:

Transfer my 3DSXL(XL) MH3U save data to WiiU.
Transfer all XL data to the 2DS.
Transfer the MH3U save data from my WiiU back to my XL.

Will this work?

Basically, does the MH3 transfer program look for the specific 3DS hardware it originated from?

tuffy

Will this work?

Basically, does the MH3 transfer program look for the specific 3DS hardware it originated from?
The transfer program doesn't care what 3DS it's transferring to, so it should work just fine. But you may not need to worry about it since character data lives on the cart itself; the only things the cart version saves to the SD card are guild cards and the free DLC. Still, I don't see how it could hurt to transfer through the Wii U.

DoubleTap

The transfer program doesn't care what 3DS it's transferring to, so it should work just fine. But you may not need to worry about it since character data lives on the cart itself; the only things the cart version saves to the SD card are guild cards and the free DLC. Still, I don't see how it could hurt to transfer through the Wii U.

Fantastic. Thanks!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So after two weeks away my friends and I jumped back in tonight. Figured we'd fight a Deviljho to warm up. Walking into the fight one guy says "I remember when I was afraid of you Deviljho"

We carted three times in under eight minutes.

We were a bit more careful from then on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KuGsj.gif
That happens to me whenever I return to the game.

Anura

So after two weeks away my friends and I jumped back in tonight. Figured we'd fight a Deviljho to warm up. Walking into the fight one guy says "I remember when I was afraid of you Deviljho"

Deviljho: "I heard you were talking shit about my fight!"

Anyways that happens to me too

Brutalx2

It doesn't matter how much I'll fight him and get his attack pattern, I will be afraid of him!
Creep the shit out of me!

Cerity

Well that was interesting, game is bugging up. Midway through the HR3 narga/los/jinouga event hunt, after getting narga to it's low health stage it starts to act much slower than usual, finish it off and don't think anything of it.

Got 'los to it's low health stage and starts to act much faster, scarily fast. Got pinned, fireballed, charged and poisoned before I could do anything.

I've taken a break to let my 3ds charge but I'm worrying about this jinouga.

also

Banned
Well that was interesting, game is bugging up. Midway through the HR3 narga/los/jinouga event hunt, after getting narga to it's low health stage it starts to act much slower than usual, finish it off and don't think anything of it.

Got 'los to it's low health stage and starts to act much faster, scarily fast. Got pinned, fireballed, charged and poisoned before I could do anything.

I've taken a break to let my 3ds charge but I'm worrying about this jinouga.

Maybe Narga was just tired and 'los enraged?

Cerity

I've hunted both enough in HR in this game to have a good feel for their speeds, narga was a little unusual as well it being a multi hunt - I didn't pay it any attention but los' speed was very unusual, like diablos enraged fast.

I'll see how this jinouga goes once my battery is back up.

Fistwell

Getting online in a minute.

Upandaway, I dont think I have you on my friends list (my nintendo ID thing is Fistwell)?

Chartz, I can see you playing offline, come on online with the cool kids!

Cerity

Whelp, fps tanked, jinouga's animation froze and it started floating everywhere as it tried to attack. Game has frozen now as well, good thing battery isn't far off dead.

Brutalx2

Whelp, fps tanked, jinouga's animation froze and it started floating everywhere as it tried to attack. Game has frozen now as well, good thing battery isn't far off dead.

My game gets laggy when there is more than 1 monster in the same map or too much demon dance on the same monster, but the game never froze :/

Fistwell

I'm there in the OP room but Fest didn't show up (yet?). I'm gonna stay on as long as the game pad battery lasts, I guess, so maybe 3 more hours?
Haha! Been playing for 3 hrs, didnt check this thread, sorry. I'm taking a small break right now, back in 5 mins. I'll add you and check the "official" room out.

Edit: fun cple of hunts! But ended kind of abruptly? Batteries run out? Anyways, you guys let me know if you want to hunt some more later. Gonna take a break for dinner now.

Top Bottom