• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

Figures that by "setting up the friends list" it just meant to open the thing for the first time. Nintendo, you silly.

Anyway that was fun. Those Brachys got whacked. Dunno who's the one who always hits their right hands though (that's just weird dude).
DS is such a multiplayer friendly weapon, I can always stay on target even if there's hilarious chaos everywhere. With the lance I could barely counter since I was moving everywhere (sheathing/unsheathing like it was a DS).

Edit: yeah the red started flashing and that was my cue. can't charge and play at the same time
I'm done for the day, sleep time is in 2 hours

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh thank god

I accidentally deleted my save data again

But I managed to use a disk recovery tool to get it back.

And now I'm backing that fucker up on my hard drive.

Cerity

Just thinking, I'd like to see more personality with monsters in the next mh iteration, not 4G/Ultimate but in 5 or something.

Say you get beaten by an 'ian at one stage in the game but manage to cut it's tail and damage it's wings. Any next time you go to hunt an Ian, it'd be that same one and more pissed in general, easily enraged or starts the fight enraged but has another level of anger.

Also monsters with tendencies to certain things e.g A quropecco who only calls big monsters or a Urag that likes to fart more often than not.

NeOak

Man, I like to play this game on my 3DS with the CCP for the XL. Even the Wii U gamepad is not that comfortable.

tuffy

Though it's not the hardest event quest of the bunch, completing the giant Rust Duramboros one solo with 12 minutes to spare is almost enough to make me believe I know what I'm doing. Surprised the heck out of me when he finally burrowed underground for an easy capture after I'd spent all my mega potions, cool drinks and just about all my ammo on him.

Gattuso

This game just does such a good job at giving you everything but what you want when carving or completing a hunt. I was farming a lucent nargacuga and after completing my most recent run I received 4 mantles from that one round. 2 from carves and 2 from the reward box. As great as that was i just really wanted to get a cloudy moonshard since most of the day has been spent farming and i had no need for any mantles (yet anyway, i'm not sure when the time will come for when i do need them for something).

Anura

This game just does such a good job at giving you everything but what you want when carving or completing a hunt. I was farming a lucent nargacuga and after completing my most recent run I received 4 mantles from that one round. 2 from carves and 2 from the reward box. As great as that was i just really wanted to get a cloudy moonshard since most of the day has been spent farming and i had no need for any mantles (yet anyway, i'm not sure when the time will come for when i do need them for something).

I can't tell you how often that happens to me... recently I have been doing Savage Jho in the peco quest (capping everytime) for bloods and the game is just like "oh you need black blood? that's like what a 30-40% chance? WELL FUCK YOU! have 5 crooks instead!"

SuperSah

Banned
I can't tell you how often that happens to me... recently I have been doing Savage Jho in the peco quest (capping everytime) for bloods and the game is just like "oh you need black blood? that's like what a 30-40% chance? WELL FUCK YOU! have 5 crooks instead!"

Still better than the 2% drop rate for a Zinogre Jasper. Three months on, and i'm still farming around one a day.

I have this issue with Brachydios gems. I'm tripping over the stupid supposedly rarer pallia, but I have yet to encounter a single gem. It's maddening.

Now that tiny, tiny baby ura on the other hand... ;)
What happens in the Land Arena stays in the Land Arena.

andthebeatgoeson

I really like the CPP. Some people don't try it because it's "ugly".

Works great on MH3U.
I might have to buy one. I miss that camera movement. Nothing like running into a wall and getting stuck when they are raging.

I've been searching but anybody have two good great sword tracks? Setting myself for myxo demolisher and maybe another.

Since this is my first time ever playing, I'm assuming i should finish the offline village quests first then tackle the other marina solo quests?

tuffy

I might have to buy one. I miss that camera movement. Nothing like running into a wall and getting stuck when they are raging.
It really is a big help, and it's surprisingly seamless given the device is basically a fancy IR emitter.
I've been searching but anybody have two good great sword tracks? Setting myself for myxo demolisher and maybe another.
I think the Deviljho line is well-liked too because it's got big raw damage.
Since this is my first time ever playing, I'm assuming i should finish the offline village quests first then tackle the other marina solo quests?
I'd highly recommend it. The Village quests go out of their way to teach you things and all the monsters have about half the HP of their Marina counterparts, so it's the best place to get a handle on the game.

This OT's gonna die now:
246.gif

Festwill has joined the MH4 import side XD

For a total Monster Hunter newb, is it normal for the game to start off pretty slow? I've played about two hours or so, and done the basic quests. Haven't had the chance to fight any of the "big" monsters yet, so perhaps that's it? It just hasn't quite caught my attention too much yet.

Part of the problem is I tend to get really bored by the upgrade/item systems in games like this...I don't really enjoy collecting items or crafting them or whatnot until I have an interesting goal to do so. So at this point, when I don't really understand all the mechanics, I'm collecting items and stuff that I don't find interesting to do upgrades that don't seem to make much of a difference yet. I'm guessing that once I start fighting some hard monsters that will change, as doing upgrades will allow me to actually fight and beat them.

For a total Monster Hunter newb, is it normal for the game to start off pretty slow? I've played about two hours or so, and done the basic quests. Haven't had the chance to fight any of the "big" monsters yet, so perhaps that's it? It just hasn't quite caught my attention too much yet.

Part of the problem is I tend to get really bored by the upgrade/item systems in games like this...I don't really enjoy collecting items or crafting them or whatnot until I have an interesting goal to do so. So at this point, when I don't really understand all the mechanics, I'm collecting items and stuff that I don't find interesting to do upgrades that don't seem to make much of a difference yet. I'm guessing that once I start fighting some hard monsters that will change, as doing upgrades will allow me to actually fight and beat them.

You should be fighting the "Big" monsters soon as long as you are continuing the quests, it will introduce them to you soon enough. Weapons will become more incredible when you do hunt down the bigger ones.

tuffy

The early game seems deliberately paced to teach basic weapon mechanics and map navigation before unleashing large monsters on the player. There's a number of quests that are just killing small monsters in order to teach how to attack, and some that are about gathering X number of something in order to teach how to get from room to room.

The real game is learning monster behavior and figuring out how to react. "When it does this move, I should hit it in the face" or "when it does that move, I should dodge to the right" and so on. Once you pick up on the move/countermove monster ballet, the game's likely to "click" and all its interlocking systems will fall into place. But it takes awhile to get there because the game wants you to get comfortable with basic weapon swings before pitting you against something that might send you to the kitty cart.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep plugging away then. Looking forward to some of the great monster encounters I've read about.

(Also, I was a bit worried that the the normal [not XL] 3DS screen would be a bit to small for the game, but I've had no issues with that so far.)

Also, would you recommend I stick with one weapon for now, or try out a variety of them?

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep plugging away then. Looking forward to some of the great monster encounters I've read about.

(Also, I was a bit worried that the the normal [not XL] 3DS screen would be a bit to small for the game, but I've had no issues with that so far.)
Nah, the only maybe problem is the Goldenfish quest. The text issues more to do with the Wii U version tbh, 3DS version's text look ugly IMO though XD
In all honesty trying different weapon is good, but for the start stick to 1 weapon for now, getting to know how it works and how their evasion/defensive needs to be done against certain monsters etc.

The Technomancer

Also, would you recommend I stick with one weapon for now, or try out a variety of them?

Yeah, when it gets good it gets really good.

As for being compelled to upgrade and forge stuff: on the forge screen if you tap X a few times you can get a preview of what the item you're looking at looks like in game. And they start off badass and just get increasingly badass as the game goes on. You should be able to get into a mindset of "dude I want to be running around with that bitching sword" and then as soon as you get it you discover an even cooler sword

tuffy

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try a few to see what style of play you enjoy the most. There's usually a tradeoff between attack speed, attack power and mobility. So sword & shield attacks really fast and is very mobile, but each individual attack is pretty weak. But great sword attacks very slowly and you'll need to keep it sheathed most of the time in order to move, but each attack is super powerful. The whole game's beatable with any weapon, so use the one(s) you like.

Personally, I had early success with the light bowgun and that's what I stuck with for the whole game, though a lot of people are skilled with all sorts of weapons.

The Technomancer

Team Hammer checking in. Good mobility, good attack power and decent attack speed at the expense of absolutely no block. But I've gotten so good at dodging I barely miss it.

upandaway

Can't play this weekend (and probably the next), which especially sucks as I'm stuck with the only quests in G1 that I'm still afraid to do. I may just jump in and try them, but I wanna wait until I can do them online.

If you want to know what it's like to start a MH in the old style, where it isn't slow and tutorial-ish, ignore the village and check out the port - you'll see that the slow start is a good idea.

About the upgrades, yeah you got it. For one, you'll definitely want to upgrade weapons before you fight monsters that are weak to those weapons. And also, upgrading a weapon once can make a previous monster take 5+ less minutes to beat from before, which in turn makes repeating quests a lot more fun. Incentive for getting the loot is pretty huge.

For the weapon, I think that you'll get a feel for what you wanna do as soon as you fight a monster (whether it's to focus small or branch out quickly). It's different for every person.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will hopefully be able to get some time in this weekend, and perhaps finish all the initial level 1 quests available right now. Using the sword and shield, as it was the first weapon I picked up and I quite like the moveset. May switch out just for some variety, though.

Mondriaan

I think the tutorials were designed for people who had never played a videogame before.

Picked up MH3U again to make a bow build. There's a lot to learn, but it's a great chance of pace. I don't know if Reload +1 is helping but I feel like I can spam arrows for days.

Fistwell

This OT's gonna die now:
246.gif

Festwill has joined the MH4 import side XD
Haahaha! We should play this weekend (package isnt getting here till tuesday)! I need to run a few errands right now, but I can get on later. Let me know if there's a specific time that'd work best for you.

I still have tons of G-rank missions to go, so I'll still be popping in during the weekends.
Same goes to you, let me know if you wanna meet up! =)

Fistwell

Thanks! I'll probably be on around 2PM GMT.
That's, like, an hour from now, right? I should be there!

Sorry, g sword.
Honestly, in high rank, I'm not a 100% sure. I dont think I spent much time building complete sets until i got to G rank. Skimming through this here,

- nibel, for quick sheathing,
- blos, for focus.

Honestly though, I'd just patch together something and try to gem in focus, some attack up, and whatever else you can get in there, and not worry too much about it. Armors are only temporary things till you get to G rank. Then, you can get any of the jhen sets (regular one is my favorite GS set), and/or G blos, although that's kind of a waste of good hard horns imo.

upandaway

Yeah anything should be fine as long as it has focus. Diablos (LR) also has Tremor Res which is very nice for some convenient charges on monsters that tremor. It's what I used for high rank.

Don't get anything that you can't get focus on, though. It's good stuff.

Fistwell

Talk about a savior, low rank armor in G rank, posts random quests as soon as he shows up, not a single active skill. Brilliant!

upandaway

I passed some time in the volcano today and got lucky with a worn hammer, worn gunlance and worn great sword. I only need 3 more conqueror's things to upgrade the GS, but it's such a pain to get them (and it still doesn't come close to the A.Rath Firesword that I got during HR, wat).

Went wild on a Pink Rathian with the hammer (finally got her back for all the suffering), so that was fun. I think I'm pretty much set with dragon weapons for a while, haha.

Fistwell

I passed some time in the volcano today and got lucky with a worn hammer, worn gunlance and worn great sword. I only need 3 more conqueror's things to upgrade the GS, but it's such a pain to get them (and it still doesn't come close to the A.Rath Firesword that I got during HR, wat).

Went wild on a Pink Rathian with the hammer (finally got her back for all the suffering), so that was fun. I think I'm pretty much set with dragon weapons for a while, haha.
Epitah has dragon dmg OUT THE ASS, like 700. Plus it looks swag as shit. A personal fave.

Aiustis

For the longest time I was G Rank mp and 4 star in single player. But I got some Nargacuga armor and now I'm high rank. Now I'm looking to get some Agnaktor armor.

I ran into Deviljho for the first time today. I was on HR3 fighting a Rathalos giving him that work
jawalrus.png

Next thing I know a Deviljho came in out of nowhere. I thought it was a damn dinosaur
damn.png

The Rathalos wasn't too bad, but him plus that demon lizard was too much to handle. Shit was so disrespectful
wow.png

Also I don't think I like the Lagiacrus set. My Jaggi Set gave me Attack M, and Gourmand which is more useful I think than focus. Being able to charge a split second quicker is useful, but I feel like I'm losing more than I'm gaining.

Aiustis

I ran into Deviljho for the first time today. I was on HR3 fighting a Rathalos giving him that work
jawalrus.png

Next thing I know a Deviljho came in out of nowhere. I thought it was a damn dinosaur
damn.png

The Rathalos wasn't too bad, but him plus that demon lizard was too much to handle. Shit was so disrespectful
wow.png

Also I don't think I like the Lagiacrus set. My Jaggi Set gave me Attack M, and Gourmand which is more useful I think than focus. Being able to charge a split second quicker is useful, but I feel like I'm losing more than I'm gaining.

lmao...I was fighting a Queripeco and it made this crazy noise I never heard before and up popped Deviljho. Deviljho is the only creature that I've encountered and not been able to slay so far.

upandaway

Focus should pay itself over with interest compared to Attack Up M. There's just a lot more windows to get the full charge. For example, Rathian's double turn to face you is now a full charge to the face pretty consistently, without focus you'll get a lot less of those off. It also means more slaps where you'd otherwise just get a full charge off, so more exhaust damage.
Trying to think of especially common places.. certain flinches, recovering from flash animation, also give a lot more full charge opportunities than without focus.

If you really want to have the attack buff along with focus, then the Diablos set has Critical Eye+2 which is comparable to Attack Up M (I think), you just need one more extra slot.

Top Bottom