• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

One gets used to the Big Angry Pickle intruding on every quest after awhile. But his HP pool is so huge that it's extremely rare for hunters to drop what they're doing to take him down rather than just dung bomb him, unlike a lot of others that might butt in on a hunt.

Fistwell

Focus should pay itself over with interest compared to Attack Up M. There's just a lot more windows to get the full charge. For example, Rathian's double turn to face you is now a full charge to the face pretty consistently, without focus you'll get a lot less of those off. It also means more slaps where you'd otherwise just get a full charge off, so more exhaust damage.
Trying to think of especially common places.. certain flinches, recovering from flash animation, also give a lot more full charge opportunities than without focus.
Honestly, not sure how focus measures up to attack M or L or what, but it's just so much goddam fun to unload lvl3 charges every other chance you get.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I FINALLY found time to play again yesterday. On my 3DS. I need to boot up the WiiU soon and play online...I just feel like fighting a monster online is a crutch sometimes.

Anyways, I am rusty. I took down Nibblesnarf and R Ludroth, but it was tricky. I need to get my hunting skills back. I'm stuck on my village quests though. I've done everything up to 5*, but I can't progress. Do I need to just do resource requests to move on? I've been neglecting them since I only have 1000 resource points...

Gattuso

I FINALLY found time to play again yesterday. On my 3DS. I need to boot up the WiiU soon and play online...I just feel like fighting a monster online is a crutch sometimes.

Anyways, I am rusty. I took down Nibblesnarf and R Ludroth, but it was tricky. I need to get my hunting skills back. I'm stuck on my village quests though. I've done everything up to 5*, but I can't progress. Do I need to just do resource requests to move on? I've been neglecting them since I only have 1000 resource points...
Did you complete the ancient mask and one chance requests?

tuffy

I need to do Ancient Mask still. I've been putting it off because I can't get Sharqskin for the life of me.
Although you can weaken Sharqs with your regular weapon, I think you need to finish them off with harpoon stabs in order to get the Sharqskins.

tuffy

Yeah, they just never carve for me. It's meat and like, fangs or something dumb.
That must be annoying. It should be a 22% chance of carves at any rank. But if you're high enough level in Port, there's always the "Jump the Sharq" high rank quest which gives you 30 of the things in the arena and a decent chance of a couple more in the rewards.

upandaway

Honestly, not sure how focus measures up to attack M or L or what, but it's just so much goddam fun to unload lvl3 charges every other chance you get.
Yeah it's great. Landing a charge is so satisfying already, doing well in a quest and landing them left and right is something special.

I guess the measure between skills would heavily depend on the monster, something like Barioth where you're charging a lot less may benefit more from blatant attack buffs, but even then all you need to do is use some flash bombs and traps to keep him in place. I wonder if there are tests on how many charges are gained per amount of time with/without focus.

That must be annoying. It should be a 22% chance of carves at any rank. But if you're high enough level in Port, there's always the "Jump the Sharq" high rank quest which gives you 30 of the things in the arena and a decent chance of a couple more in the rewards.
I did that quest twice, carving almost all sharks. I think I got maybe one or two skins out of both quests, not counting the rewards. Thank god for the rewards.

Fistwell

Playing with randoms is such an adventure. Found some awesome new online pals, duo'd a number of early G rank quests in late HR gear (on my alt) with some dude. Got back them sweaty hand palms, gunning G bari with gear he could 1 or 2-shot me in. Just as in the glorious days of discovering brachy (and being undergeared). Didn't do half bad for ourselves either, we carted a couple of times but we didnt fail a quest on our own.

Then other people showed up. A bow chick with def out the ass. She carted twice in 3 minutes on pink ian. Then some purple-name gunner insisting we pick up eggs to "make her come back" when she was in the very next zone.

Then, while out on a quest, some dude comes in, asks if anybody got lagi plate.

I was like "yeah probably"

Him: "Dude can you give me some!?"

Me: "No can do, too rare, can't give"

Him: "Naha, there's a way, I'll show you. *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* ;) "

Me: "Nope, won't glitch, sry"

Him: "But duuude they so rare like 2%"

Me: " No they not, go get your own"

Him: "But... it's for an upgrade!!1"

Oh it's "for an upgrade," well then that changes e-ve-ry-thing, I thought you just wanted to wipe your ass with them.

Then there's the little princess, who comes in asking if she can "make requests," then goes on to give us a laundry list of all the shit she needs. She aint posting missions mind you, cause she doesn't even know which missions she needs to find her stuff. She needed HR arzuros parts. Told her sure, fine, so long as you got the quest, go ahead and post it (only, there aint no arzuros HR Q online muhahahaha!!). Then she posts HR glacial agna. She's a bow user, aint got 100 def. I'm gunning, as I stand back and survey the situation, I rapidly notice I'm the only one standing to agna's left. Quickly thereafter, he does his sweeping beam attack.

*Huntress has fainted!*

I tell her she might want to stand on his left. She comes back, another beam.

*Huntress has fainted!*

"The other left!!!!!!!! The one where I am!!!!!!!"

We failed quickly after that, with our lone melee man getting comboed.

Doombear

Ooooooh Fest you are making me want to jump back online and get me some of that silliness myself. With 4 hyping me to shit I had to jump back into 3 or go insane. Mostly trying out new weapons and farming Gold Rath bits and Durambolite. Maybe tomorrow I will dust off the wii u and see what gems are out there in the wild online!

I've been dabbling in the arena quests to get a feel of the other weapon types. The bows change the game up so much that it's kind of scary.
Then some purple-name gunner insisting we pick up eggs to "make her come back" when she was in the very next zone.
That's not a bad idea. They should put a monster like that in one of the future games.

tuffy

I'm happy to finally get "Mark of a Hero" out of the way. Since it's basically a pile of G rank monsters, I don't feel guilty about tackling it with G rank gear. What's interesting is that guides often stress that Earplugs are a necessity, as is Bonus Shot, running out of time would be a big problem and Ivory Lagi is the trickier half of the fight.

But I found the Ivory Lagi part to be the easy half and had much better luck going at it from the opposite direction with an Uragaan X set. That means Load Up, Normal Up and Defense Up (L) for skills along with massive flame resistance and decent thunder resistance. Being able to take a surprise Rathalos fireball or Brachy blast turned out to be a lot more useful than immunity to roars and I got the whole quest finished with ample time to spare.

upandaway

Oh right, I forgot about Mark of a Hero. Seems like ice is a good element to use, so I'll go at it after I upgrade my DS.

Forget just tackling it with G rank gear, I'm gonna be using Farcasters and have maxed out defense. That quest is just silly.

also

Banned
FINALLY! A sharqskin! <3 Only took me about 2 hours of wandering the water for sharks. :|
Every time I see someone complaining about shark skins I chuckle a little. I only ever killed 1 shark in the entire game on a random quest and got it before I even knew I needed it.

Oh right, I forgot about Mark of a Hero. Seems like ice is a good element to use, so I'll go at it after I upgrade my DS.

Forget just tackling it with G rank gear, I'm gonna be using Farcasters and have maxed out defense. That quest is just silly.
That's how true hunters do it! I recommend you to use (mega) dash juices to keep your stamina up at all times. Trust me, you will be doing a lot of dodging in the second part of the quest.

tuffy

That's how true hunters do it! I recommend you to use (mega) dash juices to keep your stamina up at all times. Trust me, you will be doing a lot of dodging in the second part of the quest.
I forgot to bring a farcaster, though one of Brachy's long-range horn blasts gave me a free trip outside the arena. That gave me plenty of time to grab a steak and chug a max potion before diving back into the fray.

Still, it's a good quest to be patient with. When Brachy decides to explode all over the arena and take A. Rathalos down too there's no reason to interfere. There's more than enough time to finish it just taking good, safe shots.

Aiustis

I forgot to bring a farcaster, though one of Brachy's long-range horn blasts gave me a free trip outside the arena. That gave me plenty of time to grab a steak and chug a max potion before diving back into the fray.

Still, it's a good quest to be patient with. When Brachy decides to explode all over the arena and take A. Rathalos down too there's no reason to interfere. There's more than enough time to finish it just taking good, safe shots.

I need a brachy to upgrade my weapons...I pretty convinced there will be a lot of fainting, though I only fought it in mp before it was hard.

tuffy

I need a brachy to upgrade my weapons...I pretty convinced there will be a lot of fainting, though I only fought it in mp before it was hard.
A single Brachy's kind of fun. Intense, but fun. A bit like Zinogre in that its rage mode will keep you on your toes.

Stick it and just about anything else in the same room, though, and I start wishing I was someplace else.

Fistwell

Ooooooh Fest you are making me want to jump back online and get me some of that silliness myself. With 4 hyping me to shit I had to jump back into 3 or go insane. Mostly trying out new weapons and farming Gold Rath bits and Durambolite. Maybe tomorrow I will dust off the wii u and see what gems are out there in the wild online!
Well the good thing is that there's still more than enough people playing that you'll find decent partners if you look for them a bit.

That's not a bad idea. They should put a monster like that in one of the future games.
It's supposed to work on ian. Being in a different area with her, I've seen her stop what she's doing, perk up, then fly off to defend her nest. Did not seem to work on the p ian we were doing in the little story above, however. And she was in the very next zone, would have taken less time to just walk right to her than we did prancing around with giant eggs (to no avail).

and thats' why you got mh4 right
lol yeah kinda.

I'm happy to finally get "Mark of a Hero" out of the way.
Grats! That's a fun quest! Enjoy solo alatreon! =)

also

Banned

Farcasters are secretly the best item in the game. They make Arena and Tower quests sooo much easier.

Chuckpebble

So I briefly saw a tweet from @monsterhunter saying that both versions of this game would be 50% off in western territories. It disappeared before I could retweet it though.

I was wondering if somebody can give me a little breakdown on how co-op works... can we play the entire game together? What's off limits?

I know there's no online so this is just about local co-op.

Edit: finally found a little bit on the internet...."You can only play guild quests". since we're both pretty new to the series we have no idea if that's limiting or not.

Elija2

So I bought this game for 3DS the other day thanks to the 50%-off offer. Is there anything that an absolute beginner to the Monster Hunter series should know before diving into this game?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was wondering if somebody can give me a little breakdown on how co-op works... can we play the entire game together? What's off limits?

I know there's no online so this is just about local co-op.

Edit: finally found a little bit on the internet...."You can only play guild quests". since we're both pretty new to the series we have no idea if that's limiting or not.

Its not. Quests in this game really don't get more complex then "go kill an X" and there are dedicated quests for every monster in multiplayer. Hell, there are some super high level monsters you can only fight in multiplayer.

The entire game is quest driven. There's no overarching story you would be experiencing in single player.

Anteo

I know that. I was more looking for any tips or strategies that I should keep in mind.

The start is a little slow, the real game starts when you can hunt your first Great Jaggi. It will take a while.

Edit: Also the combat is all about hiting when you get an opening, do no go in blindly. Think about it like in a fighting game. You just not attack while the enemy is launching a special, dodge it/block it and counter attack. learn the monster patterns and use them to your advantage.

upandaway

Alright, I'm good to go online any time today. Samurai/tuffy/anyone else, when's a good time?

Finally at ceadeus.

any tips ? weapons I have are fire and ice LS...
It's an easy enough quest, his health is consistent between quests so just keep at it and it'll happen.

Thunder is a better element, but if you can't make one, use fire.

Elija2

I'm stuck on a quest early on where I have to bring back 3 monster guts, but I can't seem to find any. Supposedly I'm able to find them in Jaggis and Epioths, but I've slaughtered dozens of Jaggis and still can't find any (and I have no idea what Epioths look like). Am I doing something wrong (well, obviously I'm doing something wrong)? Is there a menu in-game where I can see what every monster looks like (for whatever reason the monster menu in my Hunter's Notes is empty)?

Also, what are the major differences between all the weapon classes (great sword, long sword, sword & shield, etc.)?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm stuck on a quest early on where I have to bring back 3 monster guts, but I can't seem to find any. Supposedly I'm able to find them in Jaggis and Epioths, but I've slaughtered dozens of Jaggis and still can't find any (and I have no idea what Epioths look like). Am I doing something wrong (well, obviously I'm doing something wrong)? Is there a menu in-game where I can see what every monster looks like (for whatever reason the monster menu in my Hunter's Notes is empty)?

Also, what are the major differences between all the weapon classes (great sword, long sword, sword & shield, etc.)?
Where did you look up that you get Monster Guts from both those guys? IIRC you have to get guts from the underwater guys up at the north of deserted island

upandaway

Where did you look up that you get Monster Guts from both those guys? IIRC you have to get guts from the underwater guys up at the north of deserted island
That's the Epioths he mentioned. I'm guessing he mistook them for the Aptonoths on land.

So yeah just kill some Epioths in area 10, they drop plenty.

To fill up the monster notebook, you need to buy the books from the store. And a good database online for items and stuff is kiranico.com
http://www.kiranico.com/item/monster-guts

Elija2

The game listed those two monsters in the quest description. But I'm almost positive that Jaggis don't drop them so it must be wrong.

To fill up the monster notebook, you need to buy the books from the store.

Alright, thanks. So when a quest tells you to go after a specific monster there's no way of knowing what the monster looks like unless you buy those books? I'm still at the beginning of the tutorial so there's lots that I have yet to learn.

upandaway

The game listed those two monsters in the quest description. But I'm almost positive that Jaggis don't drop them so it must be wrong.

Alright, thanks. So when a quest tells you to go after a specific monster there's no way of knowing what the monster looks like unless you buy those books? I'm still at the beginning of the tutorial so there's lots that I have yet to learn.
The quest description monsters are just the small monsters you'll see in the quest, not related to anything in the quest itself. It's generally useless information.

The books don't really give you too much, but they're nice to have. MH is the kind of game where it's a good idea to just search online for whatever information you need (though it also took me a good ~10 hours before I got used to that concept, and it's not needed at all during the tutorial).

Elija2

The quest description monsters are just the small monsters you'll see in the quest, not related to anything in the quest itself. It's generally useless information.

The books don't really give you too much, but they're nice to have. MH is the kind of game where it's a good idea to just search online for whatever information you need (though it also took me a good ~10 hours before I got used to that concept, and it's not needed at all during the tutorial).

Talk about misleading. So basically I would just have to do trial-and-error until I find a monster that drops it? I guess I'll be looking things up from now on.

Brutalx2

Morning guys i need your help.
I just got the Worn Blades and i don't know if i should take it as my dragon blades or use different one with more raw power (the worn have 180 power and 420 dra).
Since dual don't have alatreon i don't know what to do.

upandaway

I'll be online in the OP room doing some quests solo, if anyone wants to come in. I'll edit the post if I go offline

edit: I see there's a dude in the lobby but every time I try to join it disconnects me.. oh well, made a new room

Top Bottom