• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Chuckpebble

Didn't know about the bed. I shouldn't have skipped so many tutorials.

If you are in Tanzia, you can also go to the bed on the boat, in the marina, to the left of your changing area.

While we're talking about this location...

I just recently exploited that homepass trick to get my first batch of guild cards ever. Really enjoying the hire a hunter feature, but I'm a little confused about something.

The cat that you talk to when collecting guild cards, there's a little dock to his right with a barrel floating in the water. I swear I saw some sort of promo or trailer for the game where you send off a hunter in that barrel. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Elija2

What's the best weapon class that someone who will never play with others should stick with? I'm thinking I should stick with sword & shield since it seems like the most well-rounded option.

Aiustis

What's the best weapon class that someone who will never play with others should stick with? I'm thinking I should stick with sword & shield since it seems like the most well-rounded option.

Really depends on your play style. I like the sword and shield because I usually go in for a few hits block then dodge and run.

Insaniac

SnS provides good mobility with okay blocking in a pinch, but it really depends on your place style, and the monster you're fighting to a degree. I would recommend as a second weapon, the Gunlance, provides excellent blocking and decent mobility (if you learn to use the lunging strike well) as well as having good damage. Also gives you a bit more vertical attack range

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I should have my 3DS copy of this tomorrow. How much of the tutorial stuff can you skip over?

There really should be a "I've put 400 hours of my life into this franchise, I know how to play" option, heh.

Insaniac

So I should have my 3DS copy of this tomorrow. How much of the tutorial stuff can you skip over?

There really should be a "I've put 400 hours of my life into this franchise, I know how to play" option, heh.

depends on what you mean by "tutorial" stuff". if you mean by how long it takes you to get to multiplayer, its not that bad honestly

I had no idea what Attack on Titan was until Tiny Cartridge started talking about the 3DS game a few weeks ago. Looks insane. Unfortunately, it looks like we don't get that tie-in.

I got that info from this site: http://mh3gsd.jimdo.com/
It compliments kiranico.com quite well, wish the two would join.

Thank you, I keep forgetting that site I wanted to give it to a regular I talk to about MH with. It saddens me we didn't get this armor set. :( We get this instead.
image.jpg

image.jpg

But at least we get some shades
image.jpg

Edit: Anyone playing? I wouldn't mind killing a Zinogre or helping someone Rank up.

kizmah

Just got the game for Wii U on the 50% sale. This is my first Monster Hunter, figured I should give the series a try for this great price of admission.

Played only couple of hours so far and I'm taking my sweet time just figuring stuff out. There is A LOT to process before I will get the hang of this is seems. Point me in the direction of a handy guide for newbies if you please.

Ibuki

Banned
If anyone is new and wants to play, or likes to help new people learn, feel free to add me. I can't seem to find people who are doing easy stuff like me and need some help learning the ways of MonHun. I played a few hours at launch.

My NNID is: sultanm

Feel free to PM as well if you add me.

Elija2

I killed my first Great Jaggi, but I died once in the process. It's kinda tricky to dodge out of the way in time and blocking with my shield doesn't seem to work all the time.

Is there anything to increase the chances of you getting a rare item when gathering resorces?

Not directly, but statistically if you increase the number of times you can gather then you increase your chances of getting rare items. The necessary skills depends on what you're after:

- Gathering skill tree will often allow you to gather more items from herbs/insects/bones/mining-type spots (10 points in Gathering → Gathering +1 skill, 15 points → Gathering +2); please note however that some gathering spots have a fixed number of items and therefore won't be affected by these skills.
Felyne Gatherer has a similar effect.

- Carving Master skill (15 points in Carving) for 1 additional carve (includes tails, and also mining spots on monsters such as Jhen Mohran / Duramboros).
Felyne Carver (Lo) and Felyne Carver (Hi) have the same effect but not 100% of the time: 25% for Lo and 50% for Hi.

- Charm Chaser skill (10 points in Charmer) allows you to find 2 charms instead of 1 from time to time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got the game. Circle Pad Pro should be here tomorrow, so I'll hold off on the underwater stuff until then. Currently slogging through the tutorial stuff for the Nth time, and farming for basic materials. But man, playing this on an OG 3DS is going to murder my eyes. ;_; Dat microscopic text.

Aiustis

I killed my first Great Jaggi, but I died once in the process. It's kinda tricky to dodge out of the way in time and blocking with my shield doesn't seem to work all the time.

when the jaggi get's ready to charge you, lock on and then shield. Your shield has to really be aligned with the direction of blow to work if it's off even a little it won't work. At least that's my observation.

I take it that wearing a full set is better than mixing and matching, at least early on. Hunting large monsters is going to be a pain, especially when they won't drop what I need.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I take it that wearing a full set is better than mixing and matching, at least early on. Hunting large monsters is going to be a pain, especially when they won't drop what I need.

Yeah, full sets are better early on. It's not until a good bit later in the game when mixing and matching + decorations becomes superior.

Elija2

I'm having troubles capturing monsters. I keep attacking them until I notice them sweating or breathing and then I lay a trap, but they always manage to escape. So then I think I have to weaken them some more but then I accidentally kill them. What am I doing wrong?

DaBoss

The XL wasn't a thing when I got my 3DS.

OH, OK lol.

I'm having troubles capturing monsters. I keep attacking them until I notice them sweating or breathing and then I lay a trap, but they always manage to escape. So then I think I have to weaken them some more but then I accidentally kill them. What am I doing wrong?

You have to damage them till they're limping.

http://youtu.be/IkD4hxcqFpE?t=7m31s

That's a video of Arzuros limping.

tuffy

It may also be helpful to add the Capture Guru skill, which takes 5 Perception Jewel decorations. That makes the monster's paintball dot on the map start flashing when it's capture-able. I know I needed it to get through that quest and it taught me how to activate skills at the same time.

Any tips for fighting that bastard plesioth? I'm using a GS Red Wing and a Level 5 Great Jaggi S armor. Damn thing is kicking my ass. His attacks take off so much damage. Do I need stronger armor?

upandaway

I'm up for playing today (and the whole week) if anyone wants to, just say it. I'll post if I go up myself but I'm always available even if I don't.

@bdizzle, use a frog to fish him out first thing, set up some bombs and a pitfall trap beforehand where he'll land then lay out the charges. Should do a good third of his health, and keep him on land as a bonus.

Once he's on land, it's better to use the standard GS combo (sideways slash -> backwards slash -> sideways slash -> repeat), and only use charges when he's doing a beam or flailing around. Don't try to attack anything besides his legs.
Plesioth is the monster I use the GS block on the most, just because of that dang hipcheck and tail swipe hitbox, so remember you always have that.

What else... flash bombs to keep him on land longer, and they also calm him down a bit.

Any tips for fighting that bastard plesioth? I'm using a GS Red Wing and a Level 5 Great Jaggi S armor. Damn thing is kicking my ass. His attacks take off so much damage. Do I need stronger armor?
Plesioth is the only monster I genuinely dislike fighting. It doesn't have a ton of HP, but its hitboxes are still broken, and it's so much stronger than you would expect it to be. If you have a weapon that can block, keep that block button ready. You don't want to take a risk with its tail and hip moves.

As weird as it sounds, I ultimately prefer to fight it under water. Its moves become simpler and easier to dodge. The only real downside is that you're fighting underwater, which isn't fun.

upandaway

Yeah Plesioth is easier underwater with most weapons, the only problem is that he's using the GS. It's the one weapon I use where it's so bad underwater, that it negates all of the advantages of fighting Plesioth there.

also

Banned
When he notices you, he will always swim towards you and dumbly look around for y few seconds; that's a good chance to unload a charged attack. The belly is his weak point, so try to always approach him from below. Avoid approaching him from the sides because you will most likely get hurt. Break his wings in the water so that you can score a few free hits
And, most importantly, beware of his hip check!!!

I farmed him in Arzuros' armor, which is barely stronger than yours so you should be able to do it.

upandaway

Going online now, I'll be in the usual room

edit: dude in full s.zinogre comes in, we do lagi
he dies twice immediately, quits and exits the city
i continue on my own, get lagi limping, i get hit once immediately as i enter the zone ready to cap it, i get stunned and die

freaking whatever man. whatever. you know what? ever.

edit 2: argh power outage. done for now

tuffy

Going online now, I'll be in the usual room

edit: dude in full s.zinogre comes in, we do lagi
he dies twice immediately, quits and exits the city
Somebody wearing a suit with -25 to -30 thunder resistance against Lagi is either very good or very foolish, and it didn't take long to find out which.

tuffy

I just found out I'm on table 13 after about 20 hours of gameplay. Is this table still decent enough to stick with?
Apparently that's a solid one with no particular standouts.

Which reminds me that after umpteen hours of gameplay, I still have no idea what charm table I'm on. So I'm always surprised when good ones turn up.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's been a long time since I've played Tri, so someone refresh my memory here. At what point do I get more cats to work the farm? I've already gotten two upgrades but no cats to work them.

upandaway

Don't remember when exactly, but they just show up randomly at certain points. So probably after finishing urgents or certain keys or something.

Somebody wearing a suit with -25 to -30 thunder resistance against Lagi is either very good or very foolish, and it didn't take long to find out which.
Haha whoa, it's that much? That guy just looks silly now. And I was all impressed with the armor, too..

tuffy

Haha whoa, it's that much? That guy just looks silly now. And I was all impressed with the armor, too..
It does look pretty cool and has a good set of skills, but Stygian Ziggy is very weak to thunder and so is his armor. Just imagine how much health the average Lagi thunder ball removes and tack on another 30% or so.

I've been trying to assemble different sets to cover all the elemental attacks while still providing good skills, but it's been a real headache trying to find any good gunner armor with good thunder resistance and a decent set of attack skills. So I'll probably stick with Uragaan X for those fights, eat for thunder resistance and hope for the best.

Elija2

So, what does Poogie do? I cuddle with him/her for a bit until hearts explode out of them and they start following me around. But if I cuddle too much they get mad and run away.

Mondriaan

So, what does Poogie do? I cuddle with him/her for a bit until hearts explode out of them and they start following me around. But if I cuddle too much they get mad and run away.

Cuddle timing is the same as steak cooking timing. It's your call whether or not this is coincidental, but it's an example of MH humor.

Elija2

Cuddle timing is the same as steak cooking timing. It's your call whether or not this is coincidental, but it's an example of MH humor.

I know that but, like, what's the point of doing it? If I cuddle Poogie enough will he/she become a tastier steak when I eventually cook them?

Kinsei

Banned
Had my first ever random encounter with Savage Deviljho today. It only took me 280 hours to finally see one outside of the download quests.

It's a good thing he has terrible eyesight so I was able to fight the Rusted Duramboros in peace.

It's been a long time since I've played Tri, so someone refresh my memory here. At what point do I get more cats to work the farm? I've already gotten two upgrades but no cats to work them.

If I remember correctly, you get a 2nd Felyne after completing 15 different Village quests, and a third Felyne after completing 25 different Village quests. Different as in, doing the same quests multiple times won't count.

Top Bottom