• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

A good low rank armour is one that looks pretty cool. Wroggi is a decent one because you get extra sharpness and poison resistance. Sharpness is a great skill to have throughout the entire game, and not having to worry about being poisoned is a blessing during some hunts.

Kinsei

Banned
Ok, so i'm starting to get seriously hooked with the game, so i have a question for you fellow hunters. What is the best low level armor for a dual blade user? Im wearing a slightly upgraded Wroggi armor, is that cool enough for a dual wielder?

Wroggi is a great low rank set. It can easily last you until you reach high rank. At that point you can upgrade to Wroggi S armor. Since you are using dual blades I highly recommend geming in speed sharpening.

If I used dual blades Wroggi and Wroggi S woud probably be the only armor sets I'd craft until G rank.

Picked this up when the 3DS digital version went on sale for $19.99. Had about that much left from the SMTIV/FE promo, so despite strongly favoring physical this was a good way to spend it.

Experience from MHFU PSP has helped moved things along quickly. But I know that it won't always be so easy. So after and including the first Barroth I have since replayed multiple fights quickly to get four different species sets of armor, two each for blade and gunner.

Great Sword and Heavy Bowgun (digging that siege mode) are my favorites as usual. In any game with varied weapons I tend to prefer the bigger weapons that wreck faces with every hit but also don't leave much room for inattentive play. Predictably, my other favorite is Gunlance which I look forward to getting into later.

Been fun finally getting to this game.

Toxi

Banned
Is it a good idea to get a matched set of armor? I've just been forging new ones whenever I could.

Also, Qurupeco is a tough asshole. Thankfully, I beat him on my first try, because I can't even imagine doing that whole routine again.

And now they're in Moga Woods. 0_o

upandaway

Going up for the last time today if anyone's up for it

Is it a good idea to get a matched set of armor? I've just been forging new ones whenever I could.

Also, Qurupeco is a tough asshole. Thankfully, I beat him on my first try, because I can't even imagine doing that whole routine again.

Yeah, each armor piece only gives a few points per skill, and the full set usually gives enough to activate all though skills. Sometimes it's better to combine different set pieces to get good skill combinations, but that's an endgame thing.

tuffy

A full set of armor is often the best way to activate skills, so it never hurts.

I know that feeling. But although you're almost certain to run into Qurupeco & friends again, I bet it'll go a lot easier next time because you'll know his moves better. Eventually you'll get to the point where he's no trouble at all.

Fistwell

What weapon are you maining in MH4 now? Are the new weapon awesome?
Long sword and bowguns, lol. The new weapons are fun, but I'm relying on the old faithfuls to make progress, I'm behind all the cool kids!! It's nice to see this thread being back to being (semi-) active. Is that the e-shop deal?

It can be very helpful especially early on. Like the Rhenoplos armor that collectively gives "negate mud", was quite handy when quickly farming mud-spewing Barroths for their armor.

tuffy

The HR (?) Volvidon armor set seems really nice. Attack, evasion and tremor resistance? yes please.
I got through a lot of high rank in Volvidon armor, which is pretty easy to farm too.

But it's an odd set like Lagombi in that the G rank version is worse for some inexplicable reason.

Leezard

I got through a lot of high rank in Volvidon armor, which is pretty easy to farm too.

But it's an odd set like Lagombi in that the G rank version is worse for some inexplicable reason.

How weird. Does it just get worse armor skills or low defense or what?

upandaway

I never failed so many quests in a day in my life :eek:

Granted I wasn't the one that died, but I might have as well. Using 8 Mega Potions on Pink Rathian, geez. And it took us longer (to fail it) with 3 people than I would take to kill her by myself. All in all, today I helped out to hr6's for at least 6-7 hours total, and I'm pretty sure I only had 5 or 6 quests actually succeed.

I think I'll just sit in a corner and farm armors for a while to cleanse myself. Anyone know any good sets or mixes available at HR7? For either DS, Lance, GS or GL.

Toxi

Banned
I can't fucking believe this. My 2 week old 3DS right shoulder button is already not working 100% of the time, so I can't even block or counter or charge properly. Meanwhile, my 12 year old GBA shoulder button works like a charm.

So no more Monster Hunter until that's fixed. Thx, modern Nintendo engineers.

Fistwell

Anyone know any good sets or mixes available at HR7? For either DS, Lance, GS or GL.
If you can do jhen, his set is godly for GS. Rocksteady, focus, fencing, think I have crit draw as well, unsure if jeweled in or vanilla... H jhen is nice too, w/ sharpness +1, but regular jhen is just so awesome.

tuffy

How weird. Does it just get worse armor skills or low defense or what?
The skills get worse as it goes up. Low rank Volvidon is Normal Up, Evasion +1, Attack Up (S) which is good stuff. Volvidon S is Attack Up (M), Evasion +1 and Tremor Resistance which is also pretty good. But Volvidon X is Evasion +1, Tremor Resistance and Bio Master?! Losing those attack skills in favor of immunity to monster farts and 100% dung bomb effectiveness is a bizarre tradeoff.

Leezard

The skills get worse as it goes up. Low rank Volvidon is Normal Up, Evasion +1, Attack Up (S) which is good stuff. Volvidon S is Attack Up (M), Evasion +1 and Tremor Resistance which is also pretty good. But Volvidon X is Evasion +1, Tremor Resistance and Bio Master?! Losing those attack skills in favor of immunity to monster farts and 100% dung bomb effectiveness is a bizarre tradeoff.

Ah, I see. I guess the devs felt they had to shoehorn the fart resistance unto some skill, and Volvidon is the only one using it, right? Still, it's really strange, just a direct downgrade.

Mondriaan

Ah, I see. I guess the devs felt they had to shoehorn the fart resistance unto some skill, and Volvidon is the only one using it, right? Still, it's really strange, just a direct downgrade.
Biomaster is also good against slime, which is somewhat convenient for Brachy if you're using a weapon that doesn't let you roll. There's only one slime monster and two fart monsters, I guess.

I logged 80 hours in this game, and I feel like I bought it yesterday
wow.png

This game is like a black hole. It's so demonic, friend.

Beelzebub

I'm going to open a room in the usual place if anyone even plays anymore.. I'll probably be letting it sit for a while until someone joins!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't fucking believe this. My 2 week old 3DS right shoulder button is already not working 100% of the time, so I can't even block or counter or charge properly. Meanwhile, my 12 year old GBA shoulder button works like a charm.

So no more Monster Hunter until that's fixed. Thx, modern Nintendo engineers.

Why not get a Circle Pad Pro, then you can use the ZR button instead? Honestly I kinda can't believe anyone can play MH3U on the 3DS without a Circle Pad. It's so much better. And more comfortable, too.

Also, why does it seem so much harder to get Monster Bone L this time around? Barroth is the only monster currently available to me that drops it, and I've only ever gotten two in all the times I've fought him so far. And I used those for the Peco Flint. Now I need two more for the Barroth armor.

upandaway

If you can do jhen, his set is godly for GS. Rocksteady, focus, fencing, think I have crit draw as well, unsure if jeweled in or vanilla... H jhen is nice too, w/ sharpness +1, but regular jhen is just so awesome.
Hmm.. but I really, really like Sharpness+1. And Jhen will be a pain to farm.. but to have all those skills and a bunch of slots on top of it... maaaannnnnn. I'll think about it.

I tried to use Athena's armor set generator, for this:
Sharpness+1
Focus
Earplugs
Critical Draw

And there was one set I could use. Helios, Diablos and Lagi mix, no slots leftover, and all negative elemental defense except water (dragon is -22). It looks really good, but I don't know.. I like having the flexibility for Negate Poison or Capture Guru. This is such a pain.

I never actually got into the armor set game in Tri, I was just using low rank Rathalos and Lagiacrus for the whole game. It's crazy.

Insaniac

Made a heavy bowgun set, but what do you guys consider a most have skill for bowgunner?

And what do you consider the best 1 socket decoration that gives +2 skill points? (I currently like using lasting power for extended might seed/pill duration)

also

Banned
Why not get a Circle Pad Pro, then you can use the ZR button instead? Honestly I kinda can't believe anyone can play MH3U on the 3DS without a Circle Pad. It's so much better. And more comfortable, too.
Um, I imagine he will be playing other games outside of MH which don't support the CPP and I don't see why anyone would want to keep defective hardware.
I'm playing Freedom Unite on Vita and I can't imagine why anyone would want to use dual analogs outside of 2 monsters arena quests. It's so much harder and less practical compared to the ''lock-on'', which works almost perfectly.

Fistwell

Made a heavy bowgun set, but what do you guys consider a most have skill for bowgunner?

And what do you consider the best 1 socket decoration that gives +2 skill points? (I currently like using lasting power for extended might seed/pill duration)
Depends what bowgun you're using. For LBG, rapid fire is obviously pretty good. Then status for a status gun (like kettleblower), bomb boost for crag guns (like rusted/ancient or los LBG), and element boost for element guns (fire for los, thunder for lagi, etc). Pierce up for pierce HBGs (blos or narga). I mean, it's just stating the obvious, but each gun has a pretty strong identity, and you're best served by sticking with it and having the corresponding kills.

I also like attack up. I don't really care for load up or quick load. For the first, I don't feel much of a difference when I'm sticking to rapid fire or siege fire. For the second, it could mainly be nice for HBGs, as they're slower to load, but siege mode negates the need to actually load. Load up could be helpful if there's one specific ammo type you rly like, but it's not a normal strength of the gun you're using (and it only loads a few), but then you're better served by crafting the right gun for that ammo. It could still be good for some of the more exotic ammo type, maybe slime or whatever, but it's not worth it to me in general.

That's why I'm here.
Welcome here, enjoy your stay (and the game)!

Toxi

Banned
Thanks to those who answered my question about the armor. I'll probably try to get some Royal Ludroth armor once I get the system back, since I need its parts for my lance anyway.
A full set of armor is often the best way to activate skills, so it never hurts.

I know that feeling. But although you're almost certain to run into Qurupeco & friends again, I bet it'll go a lot easier next time because you'll know his moves better. Eventually you'll get to the point where he's no trouble at all.
You're probably right. Great Jaggi was a pushover the second time I fought him since I could guard and counter every one of his attacks.

Also helped that I didn't have fifty regular Jaggis breathing down my neck in every zone.:p
Cool, I didn't know the circle pad pro added new shoulder buttons. Does it reduce stress on the actual shoulder buttons? (as far as I can tell, mine broke due to pressing it too hard too much)

The only thing I really hate about the camera is when you're underwater. I'm guessing target lock-on will make that much easier.

JKTrix

Does it reduce stress on the actual shoulder buttons?
You still have to use the system's L button, but the R, ZL and ZR buttons are all on the Circle Pad (separate from the system). In the case of Monster Hunter, you can set it so that ZL and ZR do the same thing as L and R, so you won't be wearing them out with that.

upandaway

Someone at Capcom is snazzily laughing to himself right now for putting the only good way to get Sharpness+1 and Razor Sharp together on Jhen's armor :( and Jho's armor is ridiculously useful too, what the hell! I don't wanna farm those two!!

This is the worst thing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The most amazing thing happened last night. We were fighting a Black Diablos and he turned and walked right into a charging Rhenoplos and got knocked over

The Technomancer

Also can someone help me "get" longsword? I get that its this combo driven thing, but its attacks are so ridiculously slow that I never manage to get more then two attacks off in a row before needing to dodge (or getting hit) and I don't feel like I'm doing any damage

upandaway

Also can someone help me "get" longsword? I get that its this combo driven thing, but its attacks are so ridiculously slow that I never manage to get more then two attacks off in a row before needing to dodge (or getting hit) and I don't feel like I'm doing any damage
Fade slash, fade slash, fade slash, fade slash, fade slash everywhere. Try to force yourself to use it as much as humanly possible, even when you have time to do an overhead slash and dodge. At some point it will all come together.

More concretely: you're supposed to stay in the monster's uncomfortable areas nonstop, yet never get hit (similar to the lance) while building up the gauge. When it's full, that's where the damage actually happens.

The Technomancer

Fade slash, fade slash, fade slash, fade slash, fade slash everywhere. Try to force yourself to use it as much as humanly possible, even when you have time to do an overhead slash and dodge. At some point it will all come together.

More concretely: you're supposed to stay in the monster's uncomfortable areas nonstop, yet never get hit (similar to the lance) while building up the gauge. When it's full, that's where the damage actually happens.

First off: what is "fade slash"?

Second: yeah but with a lance I can block :/

upandaway

Fun fact: monhun 4 added a follow up slash to the fade slash, branching into either another fade slash, or spirit combo.
That definitely seems helpful when I imagine it, but I guess I'll see. Honestly my mind doesn't really mesh with the fade slash too well, it requires a ton of concentration out of me. It's so tiring that I'm barely using the LS these days.

First off: what is "fade slash"?

Second: yeah but with a lance I can block :/
It's the A+X attack, where you do a slash and fade back, left or right depending on where you press. It can combo off any other slash, even in the middle of the spirit combo (<- important).
If you look at some good LS videos you'll see how the magic happens

That definitely seems helpful when I imagine it, but I guess I'll see. Honestly my mind doesn't really mesh with the fade slash too well, it requires a ton of concentration out of me. It's so tiring that I'm barely using the LS these days.

It's the A+X attack, where you do a slash and fade back, left or right depending on where you press. It can combo off any other slash, even in the middle of the spirit combo (<- important).
If you look at some good LS videos you'll see how the magic happens

Heeeeeey buddy, wanna hunt?
I swear I'm not stalking :(

Fistwell

Reading your post made me think of this picture. Are LS users just horrible for online?
LS users tend to get a bad rap. When you learn the weapon in SP, you tend to do a lot of attacks that swipe through a large area (like the fade slash). Online, you want to be a little more careful or you'll keep hitting and interrupting your teamates.Not everyone makes the adjustment. Conversely, many non-LS users like to hate on all LS users, regardless of how they do play online. It kinda got to be the cool thing to do.

"Long Sword? Lol sword more like."

It's pretty neat, you can use the fade to dodge a hit, then the follow up propels you forward a bit. It also helps keeping a better offensive flow, instead of always just rolling out of your fade slash.

Top Bottom