• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Toxi

Banned
Question, is the Luddroth Bone Lance a good beginning upgrade path? I love the lance's moveset, so it's probably going to be my main weapon on my first playthrough, and I have the available parts for it. My only problem is that the Boar Spear looks better in every way on the upgrade screen, so maybe I should wait for the resources for that.

Sorry for the newbie questions, this is my first Monster Hunter since the PS2 one and I never got far in that game.

upandaway

Question, is the Luddroth Bone Lance a good beginning upgrade path? I love the lance's moveset, so it's probably going to be my main weapon on my first playthrough, and I have the available parts for it. My only problem is that the Boar Spear looks better in every way on the upgrade screen, so maybe I should wait for the resources for that.

Sorry for the newbie questions, this is my first Monster Hunter since the PS2 one and I never got far in that game.
The boar lance uses parts you can already get in a quest in the port, but it doesn't gain an element until a long, long long way into high rank. It's way better to go the Ludroth path, which is one of the fastest ways to get an elemental lance and it ends up being one of the better water lances in the game (and the only good water lance in low rank).

Okay, so after about 3 months, I get this game. I get it, I think. I understand the appeal. I have got half a set of Jaggi armor, and I want more. I want more damnit. I still need some help on finer elements, but I see easily how you could go crazy on this game.

Chuckpebble

Okay, so after about 3 months, I get this game. I get it, I think. I understand the appeal. I have got half a set of Jaggi armor, and I want more. I want more damnit. I still need some help on finer elements, but I see easily how you could go crazy on this game.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I've been hooked since the Wii game, which had far fewer monsters. I hear this game equated again and again to just beating the same boss from some other game over and over.

For example, Thardus, from Metroid Prime. It's a fun fight, but there's no way I would ever come close to beating that thing 50+ times, as I have some of the monsters in this game. I used to think this was just because the monsters had more personality, more varied and there's no one strategy to beating each of them. I just realized what the biggest draw for me is, though, and it expands on that last bit.

I go into that Thardus fight each time with more or less the exact same equipment, plus or minus a few missiles or e-tanks maybe, but the formula for completion is always the same. With these monsters, I get so much thrill out of coming back, trying new weapons, trying new armor skills, trying new strategies.

DaBoss

You've finally seen the light. Now head towards it.

DaBoss

How do I fish :(

You need bait. There are worms, you can also combine bugs and other stuff to get other bait which attract certain fish. You also need to use the bait in areas where there are fish around and a button prompt will appear in that area.

I imagine you're doing the Golden Fish thing right?

Here is where you fish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKDEXuoQxr4&feature=youtu.be&t=3m5s

You should make Golden Fish bait to make it easier which can be done by combining these two items: Mega Fishing Fly & Snakebee Larvae.

You should check out videos if you got no idea how to do something. Lots of helpful videos on YouTube for Monster Hunter.

tuffy

How do I fish :(
You can walk up to fishing spots and press "A" when the fishing icon pops up to fish with generic bait - a lot like mushroom spots and mining spots. Or if you've selected specific bait (like goldenfish bait), press "X" to fish with that instead. Fish will move toward your cork while it's in the water. Then hit "A" when the cork goes down to hook a fish and keep mashing "A" to reel it in (though this last part may be optional).

Elija2

I hate fishing in this game. When I was doing the Goldenfish quest the goldenfish bait didn't seem to help me at all. Other fish are also attracted to the bait so you gotta keep tossing your line in when you think the goldenfish will get it first. It's awful.

also

Banned
I hate fishing in this game. When I was doing the Goldenfish quest the goldenfish bait didn't seem to help me at all. Other fish are also attracted to the bait so you gotta keep tossing your line in when you think the goldenfish will get it first. It's awful.
Are you sure you were really using goldfish bait? It's not enough to just have it in your inventory, you have to manually select it as well. When I used the bait all the other fish just disappeared...

Elija2

Are you sure you were really using goldfish bait? It's not enough to just have it in your inventory, you have to manually select it as well. When I used the bait all the other fish just disappeared...

I was positive that I was using the goldenfish bait, but if other fish are supposed to disappear when using it then maybe I wasn't. Still, fishing isn't exactly the most exciting part of the game.

tuffy

I was positive that I was using the goldenfish bait, but if other fish are supposed to disappear when using it then maybe I wasn't. Still, fishing isn't exactly the most exciting part of the game.
It's not completely obvious, but you'll need to fish with the item-using "X" button at the fishing spot when the goldenfish bait is selected in order to use it. That'll make a bunch of goldenfish appear and all the other fish go away. The quest should then only take a few minutes instead of the half hour it might take without it.

Elija2

It's not completely obvious, but you'll need to fish with the item-using "X" button at the fishing spot when the goldenfish bait is selected in order to use it. That'll make a bunch of goldenfish appear and all the other fish go away. The quest should then only take a few minutes instead of the half hour it might take without it.

I guess that's what I was doing wrong. I was selecting the goldenfish bait but pressing A at the prompt instead of X. Now I feel stupid.

tuffy

I guess that's what I was doing wrong. I was selecting the goldenfish bait but pressing A at the prompt instead of X. Now I feel stupid.
I made the same mistake the first time around so that's how I know how long it can take. But on the bright side, I wound up with a lot of fish different fish to sell so it made me some money at least.

Oxx

I'm taking this pretty slowly.

I played 30 hours of Tri without being entirely grabbed by it, so I'm kinda jumbling through Ultimate, half-remembering stuff.

tuffy

So the trap a bear quest (annoying would appreciate tips) and Goldfish etc are technically still tutorials?
Just about all the Village quests are tutorials in one way or another. Like the Goldenfish one is about learning how to combine materials in order to make bait. As for the Arzuros one, you can either try to recognize when it limps from the room, or add the Capture Guru skill to your armor, before laying down a trap and throwing 2 tranq bombs when it stumbles into the trap.

Oxx

Are the Streetpass cards good for anything other than geeking out at all the stats you get to see?

I've only passed 8 or 9 people so far, but there are a few who are 290 hours+.

Are the Streetpass cards good for anything other than geeking out at all the stats you get to see?

How do you view StreetPass cards?

Also thanks for the help guys, going to have another shot at catching that weird bear thing in a bit :)

DaBoss

You can send those people you get on quests, not sure when you are able to do that though.

Doczu

God damned Qurupeco! I just can't catch it for the village quest! I've tried five times, always killing it in the end. The battle self isn't a problem, i just can't see the moment to catch him. I'm a dual blade user, should i change weapons for the fight?

upandaway

God damned Qurupeco! I just can't catch it for the village quest! I've tried five times, always killing it in the end. The battle self isn't a problem, i just can't see the moment to catch him. I'm a dual blade user, should i change weapons for the fight?
Did you know you can throw the tranq at him before he goes in the trap, and if he goes in it shortly after (say 15 seconds) it still counts? After that, you can keep hitting him while in the trap and if his health goes down enough while in there, he gets captured.

That mechanic saved me so many times. Usually even if that's not enough, I just put down another trap immediately after and do it again and it works, because I already did a ton of damage in the previous one. Worst case scenario, they give you another trap in the box in the beginning.

Doczu

Did you know you can throw the tranq at him before he goes in the trap, and if he goes in it shortly after (say 15 seconds) it still counts? After that, you can keep hitting him while in the trap and if his health goes down enough while in there, he gets captured.

That mechanic saved me so many times. Usually even if that's not enough, I just put down another trap immediately after and do it again and it works, because I already did a ton of damage in the previous one. Worst case scenario, they give you another trap in the box in the beginning.

Holy crap i didn't know you could hit the beast in a trap,to put it asleep. I always thought it would kill the monster... And thanks for the tip with the tranq bombs, i thought they only work the moment they are thrown, not for a while after! Will try again tommorow.

tuffy

I recommend forging 5 Perception Jewel decorations for your armor in order to get the Capture Guru skill. Paintball the monster at the start of the fight and switch from hitting it to trapping once the paintball dot on the map starts to flash. It's not always easy to spot monster limps in time so a capturing skill can make life a lot easier.

Leezard

Wooh, I got a Rathian Ruby in my first Pink Rathian quest. Now, the question is what to spend it on.

There doesn't seem to be any use for it for the Hammer tree, is there any worthwhile armor?

upandaway

Haha I got a ruby in my first or second P.Rathian quest too, shortly after I got 2 more rubies in the same quest. I also got just as lucky with plates in LR and a mantle last week... still got all of them. Nothing to spend them on :lol

And I need all the Rathalos rubies and mantles I can get, dang it.

I recommend forging 5 Perception Jewel decorations for your armor in order to get the Capture Guru skill. Paintball the monster at the start of the fight and switch from hitting it to trapping once the paintball dot on the map starts to flash. It's not always easy to spot monster limps in time so a capturing skill can make life a lot easier.
Also worth saying that Capture Guru kicks in a short while before the monster actually starts limping (I think it was 10% more health), so it can save some time too.

It's just that it's not really worth it to capture any monster besides in the capture quests or Rathian/Rathalos.

Doombear

There doesn't seem to be any use for it for the Hammer tree, is there any worthwhile armor?

Yeah, pretty much needed for nearly all weapons OTHER than Hammer =P Used in armors too. Some Rath S bits, Rath Heart, Rathian Heart X and Z, and some Gold Rathian pieces. Mostly waist and body pieces, and a couple helms.

Leezard

Haha I got a ruby in my first or second P.Rathian quest too, shortly after I got 2 more rubies in the same quest. I also got just as lucky with plates in LR and a mantle last week... still got all of them. Nothing to spend them on :lol

And I need all the Rathalos rubies and mantles I can get, dang it.

Haha, I remember that happening to me in Tri as well. I got way too many Lagia sapphires back then.

Yeah, pretty much needed for nearly all weapons OTHER than Hammer =P Used in armors too. Some Rath S bits, Rath Heart, Rathian Heart X and Z, and some Gold Rathian pieces. Mostly waist and body pieces, and a couple helms.

Ah, thanks. I'l have a look whether the armor skills are decent.

tuffy

Also worth saying that Capture Guru kicks in a short while before the monster actually starts limping (I think it was 10% more health), so it can save some time too.
That's what got me through the "Sticky Situation" quest the first time. The group I was with having a pretty rough time of it so I brought in Cap Guru which cut the fight short. Nobody even saw the monster limp so it wasn't easy to convince everybody it was ready, but I'd never been so relieved when the tranqs took effect.
It's just that it's not really worth it to capture any monster besides in the capture quests or Rathian/Rathalos.
Some monster parts have a much better chance of turning up when capturing, and it's sometimes a way for non-bladed weapons to get monster tails. But killing has a lot less to go wrong if the hunt's not very difficult.

Well, there's also:

Savage Deviljho (Black Blood)
Lagiacrus / Ivory Lagiacrus (Lagia Sapphire, Lagiacrus Mantle)
Diablos / Black Diablos (Diablos Medulla)
Uragaan / Steel Uragaan (Uragaan Ruby, Uragaan Pallium)

And additionally, like tuffy said, some monsters have their tails as capture rewards so it might be interesting to capture them in addition to cutting the tail. For example, G Rank Barroth has 24% chance of giving Barroth Lash per capture slot.

Fistwell

Oi I need to hunt a gold beard ceadus online now! Any tips? Any volunteers to help? :)
Steaks are not usable underwater, bring energy drinks, or gather from the boxes right in front of you as you start (a little below) for rations. Bringing a cple of air filters could be useful (airweed+smthg, maybe bomb mat). Otherwise, you can gather mini air filters at some crates at the bottom of the wall across from where you start.

There are two ballistas, with crates where you can gather ammo behind each. Ballistas are kinda neat to break his horns (you can break both, unlike dumb old not-golden ceadeus).

At some points in the fight, he'll stop what he's doing, swim down to one end of the area, swim across, then up. That's dragonator time, he'll swim right into it.

You could also bring a farcaster to take a breather back at camp.

Be wary of his water beam if your armor isn't up to scratch. If your set is weak to water, you probably want to eat the food giving water resist. He's not bad, but going in w a cple of people is probably a good idea.

Enjoy your golden shower!

Anura

Oi I need to hunt a gold beard ceadus online now! Any tips? Any volunteers to help? :)
Find some folks with L. Narga/Diablos guns and watch him suffer

Steaks are not usable underwater, bring energy drinks, or gather from the boxes right in front of you as you start (a little below) for rations. Bringing a cple of air filters could be useful (airweed+smthg, maybe bomb mat). Otherwise, you can gather mini air filters at some crates at the bottom of the wall across from where you start.

There are two ballistas, with crates where you can gather ammo behind each. Ballistas are kinda neat to break his horns (you can break both, unlike dumb old not-golden ceadeus).

At some points in the fight, he'll stop what he's doing, swim down to one end of the area, swim across, then up. That's dragonator time, he'll swim right into it.

You could also bring a farcaster to take a breather back at camp.

Be wary of his water beam if your armor isn't up to scratch. If your set is weak to water, you probably want to eat the food giving water resist. He's not bad, but going in w a cple of people is probably a good idea.

Enjoy your golden shower!

Hey don't you have some MH4 to play?

SuperSah

Banned
I need some high level StreetPass guild cards.

No one here plays except one super-noob in Waterloo. :(

People new to this game: Take it easy, it's not an easy game.

LakeEarth

Still early in the game, ran into my first big monstert (Lagiacrus, I think). I didn't know they could travel between sections, so I was unprepared and got cornered in the larger water body. Survived by aborting the mission. Good times.

I tried the bow and arrow out, what's the trick to that? I kept seeing the arrows whizz over their heads unless they were up close (defeating the purpose). I should look for a basics guide.

Toxi

Banned
I love the behaviors of the creatures in this game, like how Arzuros will actually sit down in the middle of battle to drink honey. Once he wanted honey, now he's a nice fur coat.

Question: Is there any point to wearing light armor if you're using a lance? The dodge doesn't seem to benefit much, and I'm doing more blocking than dodging (Although the side dodge is nice to reposition yourself).

Still early in the game, ran into my first big monstert (Lagiacrus, I think). I didn't know they could travel between sections, so I was unprepared and got cornered in the larger water body. Survived by aborting the mission. Good times.
Was it the mission to harvest Monster Guts? Happened to me on that one.

upandaway

Going up now

Question: Is there any point to wearing light armor if you're using a lance? The dodge doesn't seem to benefit much, and I'm doing more blocking than dodging (Although the side dodge is nice to reposition yourself).
Depends on your play style. The lance has ridiculously good dodges, it's just that most people opt for the easier to use guarding. I've seen tons of videos of people beating monsters not even guarding once, dodging through everything. I'm a guarder myself, haha, mostly because of the counter.

Going up now

Depends on your play style. The lance has ridiculously good dodges, it's just that most people opt for the easier to use guarding. I've seen tons of videos of people beating monsters not even guarding once, dodging through everything. I'm a guarder myself, haha, mostly because of the counter.

Thanks so much. I hope to play with you soon and show I'm not always a horrible hunter lol. But night Gaf!

Prepare for a long battle. It's one of those fights that isn't particularly difficult, but also not particularly engaging. It's a slow monster that doesn't really do a lot, but has tons of HP. I'm pretty sure Goldilocks is on a fixed movement pattern, so most of your fights can become very samey. Taking it on with a full party is definitely the way to go if you have the option. As Festwill said, you can get free rations right where you start out, if you swim straight ahead, you'll find a wall with free oxygen tanks at the bottom and the dragonator at the top. To your left and right will be a ballistas and some ammo.

The only real threat the thing poses is when it charges up for a water blast. The angle it shoots at is not always easy to pin down, so the only guaranteed safe area you have is to its side or behind it. It also likes to target the ballista spots, so be warned. It has quite a long wind-up animation though, so you should have plenty of time to get out of the way.

Granted I am still pretty new at lances, but I do find myself dodging most of the time and rarely guarding. I think it's mostly because I am used to playing other weapons that don't have a block button.

upandaway

I'll be going online later today too, dunno when right now.

Thanks so much. I hope to play with you soon and show I'm not always a horrible hunter lol. But night Gaf!
No problem, like Earth said he has tons of HP but with your weapon, you could do him solo in ~20-25 minutes, I was using the same one when I first fought him so I know.

Insaniac

I'm looking for some peeps to play G Rank with, I haven't had much time in it, but i'd like to start farming mats to upgrade my various weapons

NNID TheLintendo I'll be online afternoon EST

Doczu

Ok, so i'm starting to get seriously hooked with the game, so i have a question for you fellow hunters. What is the best low level armor for a dual blade user? Im wearing a slightly upgraded Wroggi armor, is that cool enough for a dual wielder?

Top Bottom