• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

The spirit attacks are a great way to interrupt everyone else.

I was fighting a great Baggi today and fainted like a noob. He was enraged and shoulder checked me during my spirit gauge. Then he shoulder checked me 2 or 3 more times and it murdered me and I couldn't even get away.

Leezard

I was fighting a great Baggi today and fainted like a noob. He was enraged and shoulder checked me during my spirit gauge. Then he shoulder checked me 2 or 3 more times and it murdered me and I couldn't even get away.

Ah, sorry, I meant interrupt every other human player, like Festwill explained above.

Ah, sorry, I meant interrupt every other human player, like Festwill explained above.

No no you're fine. I know, it just annoyed the living crap out of me. I hate monsters that do shoulder checks!!!! They always get me like PRath's tail spin into flying get me when I think I got her moves down!

Time to help people raise their HR ;D

Doorman

Duram Tailbones. Just...what the hell, man. I feel like I'm farming for Rathian rubies or something but at least fighting Rathian can still be kind of fun and exciting. Plodding around these guys for a couple of shots at tail mining/carves just feels like a chore. Meh, I guess I can focus on building up some other weapons instead, Duram has just lost his sense of fun for me.

I'm gonna start playing this game again.

I sold it to get pikmin 3. Then realized that I missed hunting when MH4 came out.

Let's hunt!!!!

add me

NNID: BelAirJeff

also

Banned
Duram Tailbones. Just...what the hell, man. I feel like I'm farming for Rathian rubies or something but at least fighting Rathian can still be kind of fun and exciting. Plodding around these guys for a couple of shots at tail mining/carves just feels like a chore. Meh, I guess I can focus on building up some other weapons instead, Duram has just lost his sense of fun for me.
I had a similar experience. After 4 hunts and no tailbones I just gave up on upgrading my swax which needed 5 and went with another one. It really is too bad because I love how original his design is; a giant monster monster spinning around and launching itself into the air, isn't that awesome or what?

It's surprising that you have a hard time getting the rare Duramboros items. Actually, they're the most common among the “rare items” (things like Sapphires, Rubies, Plates etc.) since you get multiples opportunities:
 - 4 body carves (instead of 3 for most monsters)
 - 1 tail carve
 - 1 tail mining

That's a whopping 6 opportunities vs. 3 for, say, Rathian Ruby (2 capture rewards + 1 tail carve). Also, the Felyne Carver skills / Carving Master allow you to get 1 more item in each of the 3 situations listed above. Farming for Durambolites was a cakewalk with 9 (!) opportunities per Duramboros.

Just discovered the wonder that is the Hunting Horn. It's like a hammer but gives you free stats. But seriously, are there any huge drawbacks that I should be aware of?

Just discovered the wonder that is the Hunting Horn. It's like a hammer but gives you free stats. But seriously, are there any huge drawbacks that I should be aware of?

Hunting Horn is less powerful than hammer, has lower KO/Fatigue values. Playing songs over and over makes you lose time and you are vulnerable during a long while. Playing songs has an effect similar to the Field Horn item, so in multiplayer monsters will target you more often.

Elija2

So in the quest where you have to carry the herbivore eggs back to the camp, what dictates you breaking the egg? I'm guessing that if you run too much it will break. Is that right? I'm assuming there are more quests like it coming up so I just want to know how I can prevent breaking the stuff.

So in the quest where you have to carry the herbivore eggs back to the camp, what dictates you breaking the egg? I'm guessing that if you run too much it will break. Is that right? I'm assuming there are more quests like it coming up so I just want to know how I can prevent breaking the stuff.

It won't break due to running (well, maybe if you deplete your Stamina bar completely it will? haven't tested) so you can run all the way to the camp with pauses from time to time to refill your Stamina bar.
Any disruption to your hunter will make the egg break. That includes even a Jaggi bite.

Some skills definitely will help you:
• 10 points in Transportr gives the Pro Transporter skill which increases your running speed while carrying a big item.
• Felyne Acrobat allows you to take shortcuts without breaking eggs, for example you can jump from area 8 of Deserted Island to area 5 (which would normally break the egg).
• Felyne Strongcat prevents eggs from breaking due to small disruptions (Jaggi bites, but not Rathian fireball…).
• Felyne Supercat slows down the stamina depletion while carrying an egg.

Elija2

It won't break due to running (well, maybe if you deplete your Stamina bar completely it will? haven't tested) so you can run all the way to the camp with pauses from time to time to refill your Stamina bar.
Any disruption to your hunter will make the egg break. That includes even a Jaggi bite.

Some skills definitely will help you:
• 10 points in Transportr gives the Pro Transporter skill which increases your running speed while carrying a big item.
• Felyne Acrobat allows you to take shortcuts without breaking eggs, for example you can jump from area 8 of Deserted Island to area 5 (which would normally break the egg).
• Felyne Strongcat prevents eggs from breaking due to small disruptions (Jaggi bites, but not Rathian fireball…).
• Felyne Supercat slows down the stamina depletion while carrying an egg.

Interesting, I guess I didn't notice that I was being attacked when I dropped the egg. Thanks for the info.

Doorman

I had a similar experience. After 4 hunts and no tailbones I just gave up on upgrading my swax which needed 5 and went with another one. It really is too bad because I love how original his design is; a giant monster monster spinning around and launching itself into the air, isn't that awesome or what?

Ha, it's that exact upgrade for the switch axe that I need the tailbones for. I've had one since a long time ago and haven't encountered another one since. I don't mind requiring rare items for upgrades, but asking for five of these things at once feels pretty damn ridiculous. Especially since Duramboros is hardly a quick encounter to mow through.

Hunting horns are my primary weapon in 3U, what they lack in power to the hammer they make up for (I think) in ease and fluidity of combos and the song buffs. Having a horn on hand with the right songs can make taking down a monster a much more comfortable experience for the whole party. Plus it's just fun watching your hunter rock out.

Have you guys tried the charm sniping thingy?

It's glorious, I have created three fantastic sets so far:

tb878F6.jpg

Status +6 OO

57jsFvD.jpg

Recoil + 4 Bomb Boost +10

Gq6nwth.jpg

Elemental +4 Edgemaster +3

(this set fits with any elemental weapon)

also

Banned
Guys.

Halp.

Should I use my one only Brachy Gem on his GS? :(

Go for it. I've fully upgraded Brachy's GS and swax and never even bothered farming for other weapons.
Just make sure you make Dios Blade by upgrading Red Wing and not by forging it from scratch, otherwise you will need another gem to upgrade it to Dios Blade+. When you hit G rank you will need to farm Brachy for his pallium to upgrade your GS so it's likely that you will find more gems without even trying.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No I'm still not getting it, I just can't ever seem to land more then one or two attacks in a row.

Maybe the problem is the monsters I've been fighting. I'm trying to use a LS to fight Rathalos and Barioth, both monsters who never stop moving. Its just always Slash-Slash-Monster jumps thirty feet away-run after them-never build up spirit gauge

It's been discussed, havent tried myself. Was described as "soul crushing" or some such? (Not a problem for you as we all know you aint got a soul. ;D)
I'm not sure about soul crushing or not having a soul, lol, but I skipped gym for two days because I was obsessed trying to get that Recoil/Bomb charm... a mess.

It works, but it can be frustrating, especially for Timeworn charms.

Very useful for charm sniping: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avzf4O38zw8wdFF3TkJBMUd1WmNCMENFX0JHM3ZyZ3c#gid=0

(source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66718038)

upandaway

Me and Sassy are lonely, ain't anyone free to hunt ya'll

edit: that was really fun, some nice calm unwinding at the end. i should help out hr's more often.

Leezard

I've beaten 2 Brachys now, I'm trying to get the hammer. I need two scalps, though not one has dropped yet. I got a gem from him, though. I don't need it now, but I guess it's true that you don't get what you're searching for in MH.

edit: it seems I don'tneed two scalps if I upgrade from Red Bludgeon+, but then I would need to farm Rathalos plates. No thanks.

Have you guys tried the charm sniping thingy?

Status +6 OO
Recoil + 4 Bomb Boost +10
Elemental +4 Edgemaster +3

Well huh it took me like 5 whole hours just to snipe the Handicraft +5 / FreeElemnt +7 charm, I doubt I will have the patience to do it again. How much time did you need for these 3?

Gattuso

Finally decided to go back to the village and continue the quests since i went to port after reaching high rank and didn't go back until now. It was so easy with all my g rank stuff, didn't take that long at all. I was not expecting a flashback like that after receiving the ultimate mask.

Isn't there a fourth location the hunting fleet can go to when fishing or looking for treasure?

Leezard

Isn't there a fourth location the hunting fleet can go to when fishing or looking for treasure?

Yeah, there is. Sometimes one of them say "We made a few upgrades and can go somewhere new.", or something like that. Then you get access to the new locations for that time only, until you get the daily random upgrade again.

Gattuso

Yeah, there is. Sometimes one of them say "We made a few upgrades and can go somewhere new.", or something like that. Then you get access to the new locations for that time only, until you get the daily random upgrade again.
Oh okay, I haven't had one say that yet but they always seem so ready to hunt something though.
Getting these blue cutthroats are going to take me forever.

If you guys wanna add me go ahead. I'm not too good, I started playing when it came out and then I stopped for awhile. I picked it up again and now I'm addicted. I'm gonna lose another 200 hours. I'm only rank 7, but would like some help proceeding.

WiiU: DudeBro

Heh, I found out after a longer than expected first encounter that a Gigginox is not exactly a Khezu. Slapped on a Poison Negate armor and got him on next try, but things are definitely getting more interesting.

While waiting to get the materials for some new GS, I've been using a fire-element Switch-Axe and really getting into the weapon type. A fun compromise, sort of a wide-swath LS switching into lighter-power GS, with overload that reminds of the GL shell. I see why this one is popular, once you sort out what mode can do what and when.

Edit: and yeah, having gotten used to the swimming controls and the benefit of boss click-targeting, I'm getting along quite well with this game on 3DS

Chuckpebble

Bit late as I know this was asked about on a previous page, but Cha Cha just said this:

Did you know there's an aptonoth by where the Sharq is strung up? Huh? Didja!
You should look under his feet sometime.
I bet he left you a big ol' present!
...Bwa ha ha ha ha!
And when I say big, I mean HUGE!
I didn't think stuff like that was even possible!
Anyway, I'm the one who found the present first, so don't spoil it or nothin', OK?
It's a secret to everybody.

Doombear

I'm not sure about soul crushing or not having a soul, lol, but I skipped gym for two days because I was obsessed trying to get that Recoil/Bomb charm... a mess.

It works, but it can be frustrating, especially for Timeworn charms.

Very useful for charm sniping: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avzf4O38zw8wdFF3TkJBMUd1WmNCMENFX0JHM3ZyZ3c#gid=0

(source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66718038)

Thanks Sammy, I wasn't aware of this new guide and the Google Doc. I haven't messed with it in many months after trying very unsuccessfully to get a couple of the charms I was after. I may give it another go with this.

XDDX

Got this game during the eShop sale. Got to the point that took me about 40 hours in Tri in about 10 hours in MH3U, so good.

Just have one question: Is there a way to have the map display on both the gamepad and the TV at the same time? If I have the map on the gamepad, it disappears from the TV screen.

Alric

I just got a Wii U and ordered MH3U offline. Should be here in a day or two and just a quick question, you can transfer your 3ds MH data over to the Wii version and back easily right?

Kinsei

Banned
I just got a Wii U and ordered MH3U offline. Should be here in a day or two and just a quick question, you can transfer your 3ds MH data over to the Wii version and back easily right?

Yep! Download the free transfer tool from the 3DS eshop and it should only take a minute or 2.

tuffy

Just have one question: Is there a way to have the map display on both the gamepad and the TV at the same time? If I have the map on the gamepad, it disappears from the TV screen.
I don't think this is possible. It's either one or the other as far as I can tell.

Doorman

I don't think this is possible. It's either one or the other as far as I can tell.

This goes for things like player statuses and the current item display, as well, if you put it onto the gamepad, it disappears from the main screen. It's nice at times to remove some of the clutter from the main view, but I'm not sure how ultimately worth-it that is for the Wii U version of the game. On the 3DS where screen real-estate is at more of a premium, then sure.

For those wondering, update 4.0.0 doesn't bring anything new to MH3U. The new “upload paused TV or GamePad screen shot in Wii U Internet Browser” only works for games that support Miiverse screenshot upload in first place.

Well, at least just like all games, the splash screen now loads faster.

Mondriaan

This goes for things like player statuses and the current item display, as well, if you put it onto the gamepad, it disappears from the main screen. It's nice at times to remove some of the clutter from the main view, but I'm not sure how ultimately worth-it that is for the Wii U version of the game. On the 3DS where screen real-estate is at more of a premium, then sure.
The only possible use I can think of is to remove all clutter for the purpose of video capture. Someone who gets hit more than a few times, but hides the health bar makes me suspect hax when I see the video, though.

Doombear

I have about 405 hours in this fine fine gem of a game, at about HR 80 (mostly play offline, though I have it for both consoles). Just beat village Alatreon last night finally, felt so goddamn good. I wanted to jump up and down, but as I was in bed and the wonderful missus was asleep and it was 2am... I didn't. I wanted to though.

Now to continue my hunt for Brachy Gems/Pallium and finish my Brachy GL and farm me some H.Jhen too.

Funny how this is the ONLY game franchise I can put this kind of time into over an extended period of time and still have it overshadow current releases. 60% into GTAV and loving it... but I am much more excited about beating a silly offline Alatreon.

Elija2

Holy shit, I killed my first Qurupeco with less than a minute to spare. I used up all my mega potions and whetstones while at it too which is crazy because it's the first time I had to put a dent into my own supplies like that. Usually I'm able to complete a quest with just the supplies they give me. I swear I didn't think I was gonna make it and that I had just wasted 50 minutes.

Top Bottom