• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Gattuso

I really hate it when you get disconnected during a tough battle (or series of battles) and have to attempt to finish it by yourself. I almost don't even want to see the word mantle appear on my tv. I'm just constantly getting them and just want something else but i'm sure if i ever happen to need one it'll never carve or pop up in the reward box after that.

Anura

I really hate it when you get disconnected during a tough battle (or series of battles) and have to attempt to finish it by yourself. I almost don't even want to see the word mantle appear on my tv. I'm just constantly getting them and just want something else but i'm sure if i ever happen to need one it'll never carve or pop up in the reward box after that.

I could solo everything pretty easy but this would always happen when I got out a joke or support set ugh....

Gattuso

I could solo everything pretty easy but this would always happen when I got out a joke or support set ugh....
I usually have a hard time when i don't bring much with me or equip some low power stuff and later end up regretting it when i have to finish the fight (or start it, since that's happened a few times as well).

tuffy

I've been getting back into the habit of running quests solo when I just need one common part or want to fill in some check marks on the quest list. When I took care of the final canteen quest featuring Green Plesioth and Royal Ludroth in the water arena, it not only saved me the trouble of subjecting anyone else to it (again), but also made me feel like I actually know what I'm doing.

tuffy

So how does it feel? =)
It's a strange mix of satisfaction and competence, which lasts right up until I go online and a guy in a farming room decides to post an event quest. Then a giant Brachydios blasts me from full health to the kitty cart in one shot and I go back to feeling like I've got a lot to learn. Which encourages me to practice offline some more...

upandaway

Just got a Handicraft+5 charm, this changes everything. This and Constitution +4 ooo will be my big ones for now, I guess. Maybe I don't need Jhen armor after all!

Also I'm officially adding another item to the list of impossibly annoying to get that I need way way too much of:
Agnaktor Talon
Hvy Amber Tusk
Zinogre Jasper (funny how I only need 1 of these yet it's on this list
it's not funny
)
Conqueror's Seal
----> I.Lagi Hardhorn

Chuckpebble

Just got a Handicraft+5 charm...

I got one of them right before starting G-Rank, I paired it with the Goldbeard Arm and Leg pieces for an easy sharpness +1 to start off HR6. It's pretty versatile and, more importantly, looked really nice when mixed with other sets.

tuffy

Just got a Handicraft+5 charm, this changes everything.
Reminds me of when I stumbled onto a Rapid Fire +5 charm while searching for the God's Isle (which I still haven't found after about 50 G Volcano runs). Suddenly, instead of using a charm to put Evade Extender into sets with Bonus Shot (Artian X, Rathalos X, Plesioth X), I could put Bonus Shot into sets with Evade Extender (Barioth Z, Narga X).

I never go mining specifically for charms so these finds are always a surprise.

tuffy

I have like 5 God's Isles
*Envies*

Sometimes I'll sell off duplicate Wishing Stars, Blue Craters, Windeaters and Worn Whatevers by the half dozen, but that one weapon still eludes me. Though I've heard of others taking 50+ runs to find one, so at least I'm not alone in having a hard time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I understand that this has probably been talked about quite a bit, but please forgive me since I just now got a 3DSXL.

WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!!!??!?!?

Is there some kind of ghetto workaround that Ican pull off to play online besides the Wii U thing?

Elija2

I understand that this has probably been talked about quite a bit, but please forgive me since I just now got a 3DSXL.

Is there some kind of ghetto workaround that Ican pull off to play online besides the Wii U thing?

There isn't any online multiplayer in the 3DS version because Capcom are lazy and dumb.

There isn't a workaround either.

I would think it would have to do with it being a port of a Wii title and that the 3DS alone couldn't handle the online components.

Just my personal opinion though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Makes me so sad :(

I want to finally get through this game. Put in around 100 hours in Tri and then my Wii was stolen. Now my coop partner has it and we cant play. FIX THIS SHIT CAPCOM.

Insaniac

Makes me so sad :(

I want to finally get through this game. Put in around 100 hours in Tri and then my Wii was stolen. Now my coop partner has it and we cant play. FIX THIS SHIT CAPCOM.

with all due respect, did you not bother to check if the 3DS version had online before buying it? Every previous portable MH game has never had online (PSP versions did have ad hoc, but nothing every officially built in to the game)

1337Sauce

So after owning both the Wii U and 3DS version since launch day, I finally really got around to playing a single character longer than two hours. Today this game clicked with me...and now, I feel like I have ruined my life.

GTA V? What's that?

Gattuso

are you merrick? i'm online now
yea that's me
edit: well i tried, still can't seem to think of why the friends list shows you as "offline" though.
edit2: that was pretty fun getting tossed around by everyone's weapons. I should probably stop this habit of staying up so late, can't wait to play again sometime.

upandaway

I thought I needed a Diablos Helm X, but turns out I could make do with the Helios Helm Z I already have. Whew! So I finished the GS set way sooner than expected, and I'm so glad I don't have to do any more Diablos horn breaking.

SDSPjZR.jpg

Shame about the dragon, but considering I already had 3 of the pieces and could make the other 2 without any farming, I'm letting it slide.

Handicraft +5 with some Agnaktor armor can easily grant me Sharpness+1 and Razor Sharp together (with Fire Atk+1 as a bonus), so I'll use that for the DS and Lance sets. I only need 5 Agnaktor Talons and some HR Jho farming. Making sets with minimal farming feels so good.
Dunno what to do about the Gunlance, probably wait till HR8.

Will join you guys online next week

SuperSah

Banned
Go for it. I've fully upgraded Brachy's GS and swax and never even bothered farming for other weapons.
Just make sure you make Dios Blade by upgrading Red Wing and not by forging it from scratch, otherwise you will need another gem to upgrade it to Dios Blade+. When you hit G rank you will need to farm Brachy for his pallium to upgrade your GS so it's likely that you will find more gems without even trying.

Excellent! Thanks. :)

Hey, just started playing on the wiiu today, just wondering if there are any great "what you need to know" guides (or if the in game tutorial is sufficient). I saw the charm table stuff, but if I plan to play this for under 20-30 hours will it become relevant?

also

Banned
Hey, just started playing on the wiiu today, just wondering if there are any great "what you need to know" guides (or if the in game tutorial is sufficient). I saw the charm table stuff, but if I plan to play this for under 20-30 hours will it become relevant?
The tutorials are decent enough to get you started but you will definitely need outside info to get the most out of the game. This post covers all the useful resources.
Some tips and answers to recurring questions:
-Area maps
-use Kiranico or Ping's dex for material locations and drop rates
-In the beginning there's a quest that requires you to deliver MONSTER GUTS; you can only get them from Epioths which are found in the water.
-There's a quest that requires you to deliver goldfish. You must bring goldfish bait (combine Firefly and Snakebee Larva ); you get 1 from the blue box at the camp but it's not enough, so bring at least 2, preferably more . To use the bait, first find the fishing spot, then circle through your items until the bait is selected and finally press X.
-Painballs mark the monster's location on the map for ~10 minutes. They are really useful when fighting flying monsters that change areas often. Alternatively you can use psychoserum but the effect only lasts a couple of seconds.
-Use dung bombs to free yourself from monsters that pin you down. You can also use them to force a monster to change areas; very useful when 2 monsters wander into the same area.
-When a monster is ready for capture it will start limping (drolling is a sign of exhaustion and has nothing to do with capturing). Then you have to lure it into a trap (shock or pitfall) and throw 2 tranq bombs at it. If done correctly, the monster will fall asleep and the quest will end. If you were too early and the monster still has too much HP, you still have a chance; start attacking it and you may lower its HP just enough so that it will be captured. If you are too aggressive you may kill it before it limps, but luckily there's a skill called perception that makes the monster's icon flash when it's ready for capture (you have to mark it with a paintball first). With time you will get a sense of when monsters are ready for capture. Before setting a trap it's best to wait for the monster to go to sleep to ''its home area'' (different monsters sleep in different areas) otherwise you run the risk of the monster just marching past your trap, which is very annoying because you can only lay 1 trap of the same kind at a time and you have to wait ~5 minutes for it to be destroyed before you can use a new one. If you only have 1 trap you can use dung bombs to chase the monster to the area with the trap.
-When food becomes available, eat every time before heading out on a quest.
-To progress through the ranks you have to complete key quests and then an urgent quest. The key quests are not marked in-game so use this list.
-Before heading online you should complete at least the first 3 village ranks to get to know how to play the game.
-Try as many weapons as you can to find the one(s) that's best for you.

Just as I finished typing this I remembered that I already wrote a similar buy way more detailed post a while ago. Oh well.

Above all you need some patience to get used to the controls. Don't just rush in; observe the monster and find openings, otherwise you will be minced meat in no time. Ask away if you have questions, I'm sure someone will be able to answer them.

In 20-30 hours you will barely scratch the surface so the charm tables will be irrelevant. Still, if the games clicks with you may easily end up spending hundreds of hours so...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
We fought Abyssal Lagiacrus for the first time tonight. He was kind of disappointingly easy, but he looks so fucking badass. And the best part is completely coincidentally I had made the Ivory Lagi lance anyway, so I don't need that many Abyssal components to upgrade it into the absolutely sick looking Abyssal lance

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
MH online >>>>>>>> solo
Depends what you're looking for. Solo MH has a dark souls-like quality to it with the practice/reward element. Sometimes ganging up on a monster in multi so hard that it falls over again as soon as it stands back up is not very fun.

Time to hunt some Abyssal Lagiacrus.

Will I ever break his back? Nope.

Just hit high rank and darn it; I can't down that purple ludroth before I'm dead. xD
For some stupid reason, I find him to be one of the most resistant and annoying monster in the game, lol.

andthebeatgoeson

Just hit high rank and darn it; I can't down that purple ludroth before I'm dead. xD
I got the wroggi S armor set and her gets his ass spanked. Maybe chopping his tail would help.

Also, until you get their moves down, bring 10 mega potions and 10 regular portions. And canteen it up. That food boosts helps. And you can try capturing him since that means less damage. Once he started limping, capture his ass.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also after literally six months of play I have accomplished what I first set out to do when I first looked at the weapon trees: I have Dichotomy, the fire and ice dual blades

Hello MonHunGAF. I'm new to MH, HR2 online right now. Just starting to get into it, met someone online who helped me get a decent weapon for earl-game (at-least I think).

Toxi

Banned
I got a shiny new 3DS, and now I'm killing a Barroth.

Damn, the monster design in this game is awesome. I love how he throws mud at you and then charges at you with that big head. Using the Spiral Lance right now.

EDIT: Barroth is dead. Fun boss, I think I'll kill it again. :-D

Elija2

Just had my first underwater battle with a Royal Ludroth and good god was that horrible. The underwater controls are just abysmal, and no I'm not just talking about the camera controls. It's much harder to dodge and to judge where you are in relation to the monster so often times I'll try to attack only to realize I'm too far from the monster and then fail at dodging. Plus the fucker keeps swimming away so I have to keep chasing it and only manage to get one or two hits in before it swims away again. If it only stayed on land I would have finished it off much faster. I'm glad that they got rid of underwater battles in MH4.

SuperSah

Banned
I got a shiny new 3DS, and now I'm killing a Barroth.

Damn, the monster design in this game is awesome. I love how he throws mud at you and then charges at you with that big head. Using the Spiral Lance right now.

EDIT: Barroth is dead. Fun boss, I think I'll kill it again. :-D

Welcome! Glad you like it. :)

Toxi

Banned
I hated the underwater controls at first, but being able to lock on to a boss made Royal Ludroth a lot better than I expected. The worst part of the underwater battle was when more Ludroths came into the picture, because there was no way I could focus on them easily without lock on.

Going to try the hammer as a change of pace, since I'm just guard-spamming with the lance.

Welcome! Glad you like it. :)
Thanks! I already posted in this thread, but my 3DS broke so I had to wait for a new one.

SuperSah

Banned
I hated the underwater controls at first, but being able to lock on to a boss made Royal Ludroth a lot better than I expected. The worst part of the underwater battle was when more Ludroths came into the picture, because there was no way I could focus on them easily without lock on.

Going to try the hammer as a change of pace, since I'm just guard-spamming with the lance.

Thanks! I already posted in this thread, but my 3DS broke so I had to wait for a new one.

Have you thought about the CPP? It's a much easier camera method.

Wolfe

Have you thought about the CPP? It's a much easier camera method.

Yeah I have to second this, I don't deny that the CPP isn't necessary but it sure as hell makes the game a lot more enjoyable for me. It was the same story with RE:R, I played halfway through without it prior to buying one and thought there was nothing wrong with that. Then I got one and had so much more of a blast playing with it that I refuse to play without it now.

Top Bottom