• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Laconic

Banned
I just bought this on my Wii U.

What the hell was wrong with me? This game is incredible. It makes me regret having sat on my 3DS copy for so long. Sure, I had EO4 and Untold to grind through, but STILL... I love this (I'm currently playing in on my 3DS mostly - it actually seems to be the same as the Wii U one). Goodbye, sack time.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just 2 more 5 star quests to go! Wish I could upgrade my weapons though, but apparently I can't get some items yet.

andthebeatgoeson

Lol how did you manage that?

I know how. Went hunting around 3 am and you just don't have then energy to power thru. I can't remember if you have to disable that sleep function but this game is crack: real high, then you crash. :p

Just solo'd mark of the hero, GS. I'm part of the horde now: myxo demolisher. But since I mostly solo everything, I think I need it. And I'm tired of farming items. Have Gold Cecadeus armor fully upgraded and may only do one more armor set. A custom set.

I was hoping for edgemaster, crit draw and quick sheath. Any ideas? I don't know what charm table I'm on.

I really, really want this game on the 3DS (I don't yet own a Wii U), but frankensticks are not cheap. I tried the demo way back when they first released it, and liked it but knew I wouldn't be able to invest a lot of time with the touch control screens. How many of you would say the 3DS version is worth $60+ (for both the game and frankenstick)?

I have the CPP just for MH3U and have not regretted it, I always think about in terms of $ vs. Hrs = "worth it" for me it was if it equals a dollar or less per hour it was a good deal. I so far have put in 200+hrs so the CPP is a great addition, I cannot enjoy MH3U without it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Picking up a Wii U this weekend finally. Does this game play well with the gamepad?
I'm of the opinion no, but I'm probably just be too used to the 3DS. To me the controller just felt the wrong shape for my hands and too large in some places, mainly the triggers. Couldn't comfortably access L/R + ZL/ZR without resting the gamepad in my lap due to the weight either. The wide range of the analog stick also felt less effective than the more restrictive but precise slide pad.

If you can get over that though it offers much better camera controls in comparison.

isual

ok. so I just bought a wiiu.

is the online community still strong ?

i primarily bought this for the jrpgs, tatsunoko, some mario games, and mh3u....dont really wanna double dip on mh3u unless i HAVE to....

Doombear

Picking up a Wii U this weekend finally. Does this game play well with the gamepad?

I actually bought the ZombieU bundle just because of the included pro controller. I hated it. The gamepad really surprised me. I wouldn't want to play it any other way now. That said I have put 400+ hours into the 3DS version as well and have no trouble alternating between the two. Just try it. Other than the battery life it is an amazing controller.

Kokonoe

Banned

Pretty well actually. Now I'm usually very critical over controllers, and if you haven't used the Game Pad it looks odd to say the least at first, but due to the width of the controller it gives you a nice grip to it and the analog sticks are cushiony so it's just fine. I think my favorite thing about it is the L and R buttons feel really nice (the top ones) and I use L a lot for the camera when I can't use the right stick in the heated moments and R never gets tiring when I'm needing to block on the gunlance due it's sheer size.

Wouldn't say the Game Pad is good for Smash, but 2D games and pretty much everything else I've played on the system it works great.

Anura

ok. so I just bought a wiiu.

is the online community still strong ?

i primarily bought this for the jrpgs, tatsunoko, some mario games, and mh3u....dont really wanna double dip on mh3u unless i HAVE to....

The online is still strong. The global servers means you can find a group at just about any hour. Even if they don't speak your language...

andthebeatgoeson

Critical draw vs AuM with a great sword? AuM gets me from 1320 attack to 1398. But critical draw may give me a 25% boost to attack? So, on draw attacks, I may get close to 1320 * 1.25 or near 1650? Am I doing this correctly? That would blow the roof off on charged draw attacks. Am I doing this right? I do a lot of hit and run with the great sword. On or two attacks. And I try and hit the head a lot in the beginning to try and exhaust him. That should cut down on the time between start and exhaustion.

Is my thinking clear on this or do you think Attack up medium is worth it?

tuffy

Whenever I'm unsure about one set of skills or another, I pick a monster that's not too tough (like Arzuros), try out both sets of skills on two separate hunts and check the "Quest Info" indicator afterward to see which hunt went faster. Experimenting is a surefire way to see what's more effective so long as you can find something you can beat consistently.

Insaniac

Critical draw vs AuM with a great sword? AuM gets me from 1320 attack to 1398. But critical draw may give me a 25% boost to attack? So, on draw attacks, I may get close to 1320 * 1.25 or near 1650? Am I doing this correctly? That would blow the roof off on charged draw attacks. Am I doing this right? I do a lot of hit and run with the great sword. On or two attacks. And I try and hit the head a lot in the beginning to try and exhaust him. That should cut down on the time between start and exhaustion.

Crit Draw is a must for any skilled GSer because the main strategy is to crit draw into a level 3 charge for massive dmg

Insaniac

I was just extremely tired and lacked sleep for 2 days.
I'm on high rank now and geez things are getting tough; I depended on those free supplies to save money...

Use the farm to grow Nullberries with dung fertilizer for 10 cycles and sell them for 24k each full cycle i believe.

HawthorneKitty

Use the farm to grow Nullberries with dung fertilizer for 10 cycles and sell them for 24k each full cycle i believe.
I'm low on resource though... spent too much on the boats.
On the same side,finally hit my wall, this damn Pink Rathian...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ahh this game is just as great as I remember. I will cherish this, I played Tri with my friend for around 120ish hours before my Wii was stolen. This is basically the perfect re-release for me. Nothing will bring DOTA 2 off as the top game of the year for me but this will probably replace SMT4 as #2.

Side note, I really like this Wii U. Miiverse is pretty cool and the gamepad is really nice. I also got ZombiU and New Super Mario Bros, looking to get W101 today most likely.

XDDX

I'm low on resource though... spent too much on the boats.
On the same side,finally hit my wall, this damn Pink Rathian...
Yeah, Pink Rathian was super hard when I first got to it. The best advice I can give is just be careful and try to learn its new moves. If you're really struggling, try taking traps and flash bombs to get some free damage when it's in rage mode.

HawthorneKitty

Yeah, Pink Rathian was super hard when I first got to it. The best advice I can give is just be careful and try to learn its new moves. If you're really struggling, try taking traps and flash bombs to get some free damage when it's in rage mode.
Yeah, finally got through her by basically staying away and only attacking after she did a prolonged attack until I could cut that tail. It was annoying since her tail is so high up most of the time. Glad I've reached the point where I can upgrade this Chainslaughter...

Anura

Yeah, finally got through her by basically staying away and only attacking after she did a prolonged attack until I could cut that tail. It was annoying since her tail is so high up most of the time. Glad I've reached the point where I can upgrade this Chainslaughter...
That must have taken awhile... Especially if you used a LS. By the sound of it though P. Ian seems to be a very common wall

HawthorneKitty

That must have taken awhile... Especially if you used a LS. By the sound of it though P. Ian seems to be a very common wall
It did; I want to try a new weapon type, but I've come this far already, so might as well beat the offline game once with it exclusively.
Switchaxe looks fun though.

Anura

It did; I want to try a new weapon type, but I've come this far already, so might as well beat the offline game once with it exclusively.
Switchaxe looks fun though.
Well it isn't a bad weapon type in fact it's quite the contrary. It simply doesn't lend itself well to ultra defensive play and really needs to be in the monster face at all times. Once you get the hang of it you should be rocking those kill times.

SA isn't bad. A little too hack-and-slash for me though

isual

got the wiiu version. made it all the way from hr1 to hr6.

damn.

everything in HD is sooo good.

questions.

1.do you guys think MH4 will be on wiiu as well ? may double dip. or not.

2.what's some good high rank armor ? mind you, i'm not looking for los or ian since that's what a lot of people are using and the norm, but also I want to change my armor progression up since in mhfu that was the same way I progressed.

currently using lagi armor and barroth greaves. I was sorta farming brachy for the armor and weapon, but I was also thinking of getting zinogre, but then there's the stygian one which is pretty cool...

I dont want to farm one monster and then later on farm G version. I like to keep it exclusive since they're just reskins with better stats.

Kokonoe

Banned
woot woot.

iAc5IUjlODyce.jpg

Anura

woot woot.

iAc5IUjlODyce.jpg
Looking good!

got the wiiu version. made it all the way from hr1 to hr6.

damn.

everything in HD is sooo good.

questions.

1.do you guys think MH4 will be on wiiu as well ? may double dip. or not.

2.what's some good high rank armor ? mind you, i'm not looking for los or ian since that's what a lot of people are using and the norm, but also I want to change my armor progression up since in mhfu that was the same way I progressed.

currently using lagi armor and barroth greaves. I was sorta farming brachy for the armor and weapon, but I was also thinking of getting zinogre, but then there's the stygian one which is pretty cool...

I dont want to farm one monster and then later on farm G version. I like to keep it exclusive since they're just reskins with better stats.

Volvidon armor has stupidly good skills for how easy it is to get. AuM, evasion+1, tremor resist and the negligible debuff of increasing the effect of cold (that's made pointless with hot drinks).

isual

MH4 is only out on 3DS in Japan, so I'd say a WiiU version in the future is unlikely.

MH4G? Maybe if Nintendo moneyhats a port.

Knowing capcom, they probably will.

Volvidon armor has stupidly good skills for how easy it is to get. AuM, evasion+1, tremor resist and the negligible debuff of increasing the effect of cold (that's made pointless with hot drinks).

alright thanks.

also, i have another question. Is it normal if the wii u's fan is loud ? I can hear it. Is it supposed to be ? sorry for the questions, the wii u thread I was asking questions in got closed for some reason.

Toxi

Banned
Well, that Deviljho in Bottomless Beast is certainly something.

Full-screen dragon breath gets me every time. ;_;

tuffy

also, i have another question. Is it normal if the wii u's fan is loud ? I can hear it. Is it supposed to be ? sorry for the questions, the wii u thread I was asking questions in got closed for some reason.
My fan isn't particularly loud. I can barely hear it when up close and not at all from across the room.
Well, that Deviljho in Bottomless Beast is certainly something.

Full-screen dragon breath gets me every time. ;_;
That's Savage Deviljho. His moves seem pretty much the same, but they hit a lot harder than usual. I'd recommend armor with lots of dragon resistance like Artian X or Zinogre Z for dragonblight immunity and to shrug off that wide area attack.

Toxi

Banned
That's Savage Deviljho. His moves seem pretty much the same, but they hit a lot harder than usual. I'd recommend armor with lots of dragon resistance like Artian X or Zinogre Z for dragonblight immunity and to shrug off that wide area attack.
Thanks, I'll try making the Zinogre Z armor. Ceadeus Z just takes too much damage, even if it's nice being able to attack Savage Deviljho through roars.

Also, I love how he has that dragon fire effect around his head when enraged.

HawthorneKitty

Oof, the Gigginox/ B.Gigginox hunt took me to the 5 minute mark because I was being too cautious. Tim to be more aggressive in the future.
Still rocking Jaggi armor...

Anura

My fan isn't particularly loud. I can barely hear it when up close and not at all from across the room.

He also moves faster and can chain his multi chomp into his breath instead of just the stomp. He takes no dragon damage on his head when that dragon fire is around so bringing a thunder weapon might be a good idea.

andthebeatgoeson

I have over 4000 Hours in this series and I have got to say that there is nothing like the very first MH you play. Monster Hunter is the only game I would really want to experience fresh again. Learning the ins and outs of each monster and each weapon is simply amazing
So, is the 3999th hour worth it? Do you get bored? Do you still have that itch?
Edgemaster means you'll need some Nether parts, and Nether parts means Abyssal Lagiacrus, and Abyssal Lagiacrus can be... challenging.
Uggh. Is there like a Grank+? Just ran into some baddasses over here on HR8 and they seemed to crank up the badassery to 11. Again. This game...keeps on jumping up higher. WTF? Does it level out? I go from doing well in early G rank, fully upgrade Cadeus armor and get my myxo demolisher...then run into a Deviljho and get carted 2x in 5 minutes. I thought I was at the end.

Edit: BTW, is moga woods hunts night/day HR or G ranked or based on your rank?

tuffy

Uggh. Is there like a Grank+? Just ran into some baddasses over here on HR8 and they seemed to crank up the badassery to 11. Again. This game...keeps on jumping up higher. WTF? Does it level out? I go from doing well in early G rank, fully upgrade Cadeus armor and get my myxo demolisher...then run into a Deviljho and get carted 2x in 5 minutes. I thought I was at the end.
Ceadeus armor has around -30 to -35 dragon resistance, which increases the damage Jho's breath does by about 30-35%. Even if you eat for dragon resistance, it'll still hit you with dragonblight which nullifies your weapon's elemental damage while it lasts. Considering that breath attack's range, I'd recommend another set unless you can roll between Jho's legs while he's spraying the room.

But yeah, the HR8+ monsters are basically G Rank+. The metal Raths, Lucent Narga, Abyssal Lagi and Savage Jho will all be pretty tough new challenges from a game you might've thought was out of hurdles to throw at you.
Edit: BTW, is moga woods hunts night/day HR or G ranked or based on your rank?
Moga Woods day is always low rank monsters and night is always high rank ones.

HawthorneKitty

So what controller does everyone use on the Wii U version?
I've been stuck on the gamepad since item rummaging is easier, but the battery life is sometimes dulling.

Top Bottom