• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

oh. wow. well i asked him how much time did he have played, he said about 1199 plus
He probably did some 4 point Arken grinding. My Japanese MH3U playtime is around 510 and my English one is 730 and their HR only adds up to about 435 or so. Still impressive

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just picked this up for the Wii U. Won't be able to play till this time next week though as my Wii U is wrapped as a present under my Christmas Tree. :p

I'm way LTTP but oh well. One of my best friends also just got a Wii U a week ago and grabbed a copy. So at least I'll have one other n00b to roll with.

andthebeatgoeson

Thank you all for the replies.

New set I came up with using Athena's ASS:
Diablos Helm X
Diablos Mail X
Vangis Vambraces X
Vangis Coild
Grand Yamato Gusoku

Crit Draw
Sharp+1
Quick Sheathe
Rock Steady

Looking at kiranico and Dex, Mohran Rockskin and Shards are 0% on carves or caps. Am I missing something? Rockskins have 100% on a quest rewards but shards seem off or just the wrong number. About to go and do some Jhen farming but I didn't want to waste time.

Just picked this up for the Wii U. Won't be able to play till this time next week though as my Wii U is wrapped as a present under my Christmas Tree. :p

I'm way LTTP but oh well. One of my best friends also just got a Wii U a week ago and grabbed a copy. So at least I'll have one other n00b to roll with.
Welcome and say goodbye to all the nice games you thought you were going to play. I have no interest in GOTY candidates (mario, zelda, pikmin, Batman [:p], bioshock, etc). No interest. Just want to hunt some more.

tuffy

Looking at kiranico and Dex, Mohran Rockskin and Shards are 0% on carves or caps. Am I missing something? Rockskins have 100% on a quest rewards but shards seem off or just the wrong number. About to go and do some Jhen farming but I didn't want to waste time.
I think those are either missing data or typos. If Mohran Shards were really all 0% they'd be impossible to get, and I don't think they're especially rare in actuality.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
God there is a lot to this game that I have forgotten about. I want to buy the guide but I can't find one anywhere in Houston :-/

Anura

I think those are either missing data or typos. If Mohran Shards were really all 0% they'd be impossible to get, and I don't think they're especially rare in actuality.
Either that or they are found by back mining. But I fairly certain they are easily gotten from carves and it's just missing data

isual

ok. finally upgraded rimeblade to its Grank version. first g weapon ever !

anyways, currently wearing full brachy armor.

i'm thinking of moving up to either helios x or zinogre x.

what do you guys recommend is a good armor for blademaster at grank ?

Anura

ok. finally upgraded rimeblade to its Grank version. first g weapon ever !

anyways, currently wearing full brachy armor.

i'm thinking of moving up to either helios x or zinogre x.

what do you guys recommend is a good armor for blademaster at grank ?

Helios Z with the Helios X waist if I remember right... Might have been chest.

The Dex database (which is also used by kiranico) does not have G Rank Jhen Mohran drop rates because its source is the official CAPCOM Japanese 1200-page strategy book which doesn't include DLC-related elements / Alatreon / Dire Miralis. Alatreon / Dire Miralis drop rates and quest reward rates are estimates based off a survey conducted by celerym and there is no such survey for other missing data.

100% quest rewards are fixed rewards that appear in the very first cells of line A and B (1 & 2) in the reward window.

Marvie_3

Banned
Probably a stupid question.......but I just started playing MH3U on Wii U.....is there a way to invite people on your friends list into your game? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

XDDX

Probably a stupid question.......but I just started playing MH3U on Wii U.....is there a way to invite people on your friends list into your game? I'm not seeing it anywhere.
Don't think you can invite, but on the online lobby page there's a Friends option and you can join a friend playing MH3U online if there's space in their room.

tuffy

I think all the events have already been released so nothing new on that front, but I should be able to hop on much of the weekend and next week to hunt stuff.

Clockwork5

So I am about 20 hours into the game and am actually a little scared about the amount of time I could spend with this game. With that being said, I recently learned of all this charm table nonsense and found out that I am on 13. I hear this is the "worst of the good tables"

I don't care if I don't have "the best" table, but could someone who knows more about this than myself give me quick rundown of the positives and negatives of this table?

Is this table going to gimp my experience with this game?

tuffy

I highly doubt it. Although the random charms that pop up may allow you to squeeze in an extra skill or two, the bulk of your skills will still come from armor pieces and decorations which you craft yourself. On top of that, skills themselves are only marginal improvements; your skill and experience as a player is much more important in getting good hunt times.

For what it's worth, I still haven't bothered to check what table I'm on after several hundred hours into the game. It really hasn't been a big deal at all.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Probably going to pick up the game for 3DS while it is on sale at Gamestop. Going to have to get a circle pad pro, as well.

upandaway

So I am about 20 hours into the game and am actually a little scared about the amount of time I could spend with this game. With that being said, I recently learned of all this charm table nonsense and found out that I am on 13. I hear this is the "worst of the good tables"

I don't care if I don't have "the best" table, but could someone who knows more about this than myself give me quick rundown of the positives and negatives of this table?

Nah, it's not a big deal at all. Don't even think about it.

derwalde

Thank you all for the replies.

New set I came up with using Athena's ASS:
Diablos Helm X
Diablos Mail X
Vangis Vambraces X
Vangis Coild
Grand Yamato Gusoku

Crit Draw
Sharp+1
Quick Sheathe
Rock Steady

you can build a nice GS hit and run set with crit draw, sharpness+1, focus and quick sheathe. i have the one above and the one i mentioned and i like the latter better.

welcome to the wonderful world of MoHu and try out the lance.

Anura

you can build a nice GS hit and run set with crit draw, sharpness+1, focus and quick sheathe. i have the one above and the one i mentioned and i like the latter better.

With a decent charm you can also get crit draw, sharpness +1, focus and unshakable

lances are great

upandaway

Man that was a good session. That was really fun Sassy-man, whew! I'm spent, I played for like 5 hours there.

Finally I have every quest marked at the port. I only have Alatreon in the village and arena quests left.
Which is weird because I still haven't gotten the award for completing all quests in G rank (including Advanced, which I did get the award for)... maybe it includes arena quests in that? hmm. I also haven't gotten the award for completing all Endurance quests even though I'm fairly certain I did. What's up with that.

Doubt I'll bother with any of the other awards, they're all silly. Getting all those Slickaxes for the combo list is mental suicide, same for 1 million resource points and hunter rank points.

How does that site work depward? I'm totally lost there.

Finally I have every quest marked at the port. I only have Alatreon in the village and arena quests left.
Which is weird because I still haven't gotten the award for completing all quests in G rank (including Advanced, which I did get the award for)... maybe it includes arena quests in that? hmm. I also haven't gotten the award for completing all Endurance quests even though I'm fairly certain I did. What's up with that.

There are quests that unlock with specific conditions, for example there's one that only appears at HR100 or something. But it will count if you join someone else's quest and complete it.

tuffy

Man that was a good session. That was really fun Sassy-man, whew! I'm spent, I played for like 5 hours there.
Glad I could help! I thought for sure I'd missed another gathering, but not this time...
There are quests that unlock with specific conditions, for example there's one that only appears at HR100 or something. But it will count if you join someone else's quest and complete it.
I hadn't considered that, but that's gotta be it. I think the 8* quests with HR conditions are:
  • All-Terrain Terror - HR20
  • Awesome Maw - HR25
  • Best of Enemies - HR30
  • The Invisible Predator - HR40
  • Rage Match - HR45
  • Moonlight Tryst - HR50
  • The Earth Quakers - HR55
  • The Sea Shakers - HR60
  • Abyssal Awakening - HR70
  • Four Point Formation - HR80
  • Clobberin' Time! - HR90
  • The March of Victory - HR100

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Arrrg, not sure if I want to bring the Wii U home with me just for MonHunning or bring the PS3 to take a bite of the backlog.

upandaway

Glad I could help! I thought for sure I'd missed another gathering, but not this time...
I feel bad about doing it while Fest is asleep but that's what I could manage. Oh well~

Will work on the HR next time, then. I bet the completing the arena quests will help with that. If I had known I would have gotten Exchanger more often.

depward

Doubt I'll bother with any of the other awards, they're all silly. Getting all those Slickaxes for the combo list is mental suicide, same for 1 million resource points and hunter rank points.

How does that site work depward? I'm totally lost there.
Basically sign up and just saw you're up for hunting. Pretty easy :)

andthebeatgoeson

With a decent charm you can also get crit draw, sharpness +1, focus and unshakable

lances are great
You guys think focus is better than quick sheathe? Maybe it just helps me more with my terrible defensive skills. Well, not terrible but okay.

Anura

You guys think focus is better than quick sheathe? Maybe it just helps me more with my terrible defensive skills. Well, not terrible but okay.
Given the choice I personally would chooses focus everytime. Not saying quick sheathe isn't good though

I'm sporting fully upgraded Dios Dual Blades and yeah it's pretty powerful. Especially when no monster is resistant to it.

I'm guessing it's being nerfed in MH4.
Overall it does feel slightly nerfed but I haven't seen any calculations or what not. But there is the Teo/Dora DS that has slime and ice together and they're really good for Rajang hunts.

Stencil

Soo, hey, question that I'm not sure warranted it's own topic and I figured y'all could help:

This game looks awesome; I've never played any Monster Hunter.
- It's pretty multiplayer focused, no?
- How much emphasis is there on the online?
- Is there a single p campaign? Does that warrant a purchase on its own?
- Is the online community welcoming to noobs?
- Can I just dive in an online game right away and run around with anyone pretty easily, or do I need friend codes and stuff?

Just trying to feel it out if I should buy this for its campaign alone, perhaps with some casual online play peppered in occasionally.
Thanks!

Insaniac

Soo, hey, question that I'm not sure warranted it's own topic and I figured y'all could help:

This game looks awesome; I've never played any Monster Hunter.
- It's pretty multiplayer focused, no?
- How much emphasis is there on the online?
- Is there a single p campaign? Does that warrant a purchase on its own?
- Is the online community welcoming to noobs?
- Can I just dive in an online game right away and run around with anyone pretty easily, or do I need friend codes and stuff?

Just trying to feel it out if I should buy this for its campaign alone, perhaps with some casual online play peppered in occasionally.
Thanks!

Yes it is multiplayer focused, but everything is totally possible solo
No emphasis on online, but like I said, multi is a lot more fun
There is a SP story. I would say it warrants its own purchase, but I don't see why you'd not go online at all.
Online community is very welcoming and helpful toward noobs
You can go online and hop into lobbies with randoms (you need to complete a little bit of the SP before you can access online / multiplayer)

Also plenty of people here willing to help you me being one of em (NNID: TheLintendo)

I got this yesterday for the 3DS along with the circle pad pro, hooray!

I'm a little apprehensive about jumping in though. I also got The Wonderful 101, and a few people recommended watching some gameplay mechanic videos before starting in order to get a better grasp on the combat before jumping into the game and becoming frustrated.

Does anybody have any recommendations for something similar with this game, or do the early missions do a good enough job at explaining all of the mechanics that I don't need to worry about it?

Anura

I got this yesterday for the 3DS along with the circle pad pro, hooray!

I'm a little apprehensive about jumping in though. I also got The Wonderful 101, and a few people recommended watching some gameplay mechanic videos before starting in order to get a better grasp on the combat before jumping into the game and becoming frustrated.

Does anybody have any recommendations for something similar with this game, or do the early missions do a good enough job at explaining all of the mechanics that I don't need to worry about it?

It's worlds apart from any game and that seems to be why it turns most people off. It doesn't play like DS despite what people say and the only similarity is a "play it safe" mentality.

The gameplay isn't just jump in and preform tricky combos but kinda finding not only when to jump in but what attacks to use and where to use them. Combos and attack strings are set in stone but almost all of them have a use for something even it doesn't seem like it at first. Unlike other games you don't just need to know the monsters moves but your own and it's what makes this game feel "clunky" to new comers or the rolls feeling weird. At some point you realize the game is designed around this and works very well even though it feels different

It's a difficult game but don't expect it to be difficult the same way DS is. You will die but the game is more forgiving and the act of dying isn't what makes it hard. MH isn't a game if completion so much as it is a game of absolute mastery. You can beat almost any monster with in the 50min time limit while chugging potions, getting smacked around and playing a game of attrition but mastering their patterns and the fight as a whole not only makes grinding their parts easier but it's where the appeal and depth actually is and it's what turns this from a 70 hour game into a 1000+ hour game

Ultimately don't jump in expecting it to play like another game especially with the combat

Cocaloch

So I just got a wii U and MH3U for it. I played quite a bit when I got it for the 3DS, but then was stuck on a G rank quest. I was just wondering if anyone on gaf could help me out now that I have online with the wii u version.

Brofield

Hey, so after finally quitting being all wishy washy, I decided I would get the game at Best Buy for $20...only to find that it was sold out.

Long story short I gave up after checking Wal-Mart, Target, EB Games, The Source and Toys R Us for the same deal, because I don't want to pay full price or $30 for used. In the end I ended up buying it off the Capcom online store on sale (along with Remember Me to justify shipping price of $12). The thing is, it didn't say how long International Postal would take. If I'm in Toronto, how long should it take?
Sorry if off topic, just got concerned after various Google searches told me how incompetent their online store was as of 2011, and I wouldn't know where else to ask

tuffy

So I just got a wii U and MH3U for it. I played quite a bit when I got it for the 3DS, but then was stuck on a G rank quest. I was just wondering if anyone on gaf could help me out now that I have online with the wii u version.
What quest are you stuck on? I can hop online semi-regularly to help out if need be.

Top Bottom