• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Brand new, and amazed how little I seem to accomplished after about 10 hours.

A couple questions: How do you raise your max stamina/health permanently? And do you gain nothing from fighting things except the spoils? I notice a number at the bottom of the screen when I kill things, but don't know what it means. Also, at what point does playing this single player turn into a problem?

XDDX

Brand new, and amazed how little I seem to accomplished after about 10 hours.

A couple questions: How do you raise your max stamina/health permanently? And do you gain nothing from fighting things except the spoils? I notice a number at the bottom of the screen when I kill things, but don't know what it means. Also, at what point does playing this single player turn into a problem?
Some armour sets can raise your Stamina or HP permanently but if you don't have them, you can just eat food before going on a hunt.

Not sure what you mean about the number at the bottom of screen.

SP gets really hard if you have to do the G Rank Port quests yourself. Some of them involve multiple difficult monsters which can take forever to kill. Getting to G rank takes at least 50 hours though, so you still have a long time to go.

co1onel

Just picked this game up on 3DS, and having previously given up on MH after the second gen this will be my first time playing a 3rd gen game. I honestly don't know much about what I'm getting into and how significant the changes are. Anything I should especially know before I start?

Hey, so after finally quitting being all wishy washy, I decided I would get the game at Best Buy for $20...only to find that it was sold out.

Long story short I gave up after checking Wal-Mart, Target, EB Games, The Source and Toys R Us for the same deal, because I don't want to pay full price or $30 for used. In the end I ended up buying it off the Capcom online store on sale (along with Remember Me to justify shipping price of $12). The thing is, it didn't say how long International Postal would take. If I'm in Toronto, how long should it take?
Sorry if off topic, just got concerned after various Google searches told me how incompetent their online store was as of 2011, and I wouldn't know where else to ask

Amazon just got more copies in and marked them down to $20 too. You should have bought it there :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not sure what you mean about the number at the bottom of screen.
I don't either since they're not explaining it. I just see a tiny box pop up at the bottom left when I kill certain monsters that shows its type and a number like "60" or something.

Anura

Just picked this game up on 3DS, and having previously given up on MH after the second gen this will be my first time playing a 3rd gen game. I honestly don't know much about what I'm getting into and how significant the changes are. Anything I should especially know before I start?

Amazon just got more copies in and marked them down to $20 too. You should have bought it there :(

Hitboxes aren't awful, weapons got vastly improved in usability (the HH especially), monsters have more patterns and deal less damage and it has a bit of quality of life improvements here and there

It's a lot more user friendly but still manages to keep the learning and failing and learning some more without being absolutely brutal

Underwater sucks though..,

tuffy

I don't either since they're not explaining it. I just see a tiny box pop up at the bottom left when I kill certain monsters that shows its type and a number like "60" or something.
Those must be the resource points you're accumulating for hunting monsters in the Moga Woods. Those points can be used to grow items on your farm, send out fishing fleets or eat at the canteen.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Have you been doing quests or are you just running around the island? Once you take a quest to do it you have to leave the village on the left, off the dock

mattiewheels

Have you been doing quests or are you just running around the island? Once you take a quest to do it you have to leave the village on the left, off the dock
Yeah, I'm up to the 3-star missions now.

Anura

I can hop on for a bit now let me try to join
Might have to jump off quick in the middle to do something so if I do that just just go with out me and/or I will farcaster back to base

Edit: Oh it's full...

Wouldn't mind playing this with some fellow gaffers. Put over 100 hours into the 3ds version and now I've switched to the wii u. I'm moon_frogger on the ninty network if anybody wants to play

Wiseblade

I've been playing for an hour and I think I have a basic grasp of the combat, but I don't have a clue about what I should be doing right now.

tuffy

I've been playing for an hour and I think I have a basic grasp of the combat, but I don't have a clue about what I should be doing right now.
Just keep chugging through the Village quests. There's a sort of progression from gathering quests (Harvest Shroom) to hunting little monsters that don't really fight back (Guts: It's Whats for Dinner) to hunting little monsters that do fight back (No Love For Ludroth) to hunting big monsters that fight back (Pain in the Plains) and then on to increasingly big monsters that'll fight back harder. But as long as you keep completing them, you'll naturally improve over time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Need help with the capture a Great Jaggi mission

What happens to me is as follows.

1) Can not get a trap down without getting hit

2) Weaken it enough, but it runs away limping before I can get said trap down

3) Put a trap down near where it'll run through a little hole limping but Great Jaggi summons little Jaggis that get caught in my trap instead

4) I kill it before I can trap it

I am a failure MH-GAF :-(

XDDX

Need help with the capture a Great Jaggi mission

What happens to me is as follows.

1) Can not get a trap down without getting hit

2) Weaken it enough, but it runs away limping before I can get said trap down

3) Put a trap down near where it'll run through a little hole limping but Great Jaggi summons little Jaggis that get caught in my trap instead

4) I kill it before I can trap it

I am a failure MH-GAF :-(
What you have to do is wait for it to limp, let it go to its nest and then put the trap down there. If there are Jaggi or Jaggia in the area, kill them first so they don't annoy you. That should give you enough time to put the trap down too. Once the Great Jaggi is in the trap, throw 2 Tranq bombs.

Vanillalite

What you have to do is wait for it to limp, let it go to its nest and then put the trap down there. If there are Jaggi or Jaggia in the area, kill them first so they don't annoy you. That should give you enough time to put the trap down too. Once the Great Jaggi is in the trap, throw 2 Tranq bombs.

I shall try this tonight and post back with results.

Mad thanks XDDX!!

andthebeatgoeson

I shall try this tonight and post back with results.

Mad thanks XDDX!!

Other things: wait til it starts to limp then it will retreat to another area. Once you get to that new area, immediately set a trap. Then put the trap between you and the monster. It will charge to you, get caught.

Once I set a trap to capture, I immediately switch to the tranqs, so i can be ready. I also usually bring more than two. You may miss with one or two. Sucks to miss. But you'll get the hang of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Welcome to Monster Hunter, Wisey.
LtNDbKz.png

Vanillalite

OMG Fuck Yeah!!!!

Finally caught a Great Jaggi!!!

If only I had a Miiverse screenshot! I literally was like fuck yeah out loud when it said objective completed!!!

W00T!!!

soldat7

My 9-year old son loved the demo on 3DS and begged for it for Christmas (he got it.) Will he be in over his head here? What can I do to ensure that he has a great experience? I can't seem to find a physical strategy guide...

My 9-year old son loved the demo on 3DS and begged for it for Christmas (he got it.) Will he be in over his head here? What can I do to ensure that he has a great experience? I can't seem to find a physical strategy guide...

Bradygames and, I think, another company have physical guides for the game but they're in Japanese. The bradygames guides has an official English PDF floating around that has large chunks translated from the physical Japanese guide. It has raw details on monsters and weapons along with tips, etc...

The Monster Hunter wiki also has good info like monster loot drop rates, hit zone charts and item combination info.

The gamesfaqs pages for MH3U and MH Tri have very good guides on basic strategy and how each weapon works. Also have simple weapon upgrade trees.

I can't link to any right now, sorry

Doombear

There is no English physical guide sadly, not that I know of. You are limited to the Bradygames E-Guide - HERE

or this cute independent guide from loving fans - HERE (much more general info for beginners)

Or some amazing Youtuber guides.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Honestly? If you guys have a second 3DS get a copy and play it with him. I guarantee you'll bond over it.

Clockwork5

So I am officially all in. Been playing about 3 weeks and got the 3ds version to take on my holiday trip. I am having a blast.

One question: Does the Wii U need to be land lined to get network mode to mode to work on the 3ds? I downloaded the tool but get an error message that the tool does not support wireless.

tuffy

So I am officially all in. Been playing about 3 weeks and got the 3ds version to take on my holiday trip. I am having a blast.

One question: Does the Wii U need to be land lined to get network mode to mode to work on the 3ds? I downloaded the tool but get an error message that the tool does not support wireless.
The Wii U's bridging tool does need a wired ethernet adapter to get a 3DS copy of the game onto the internet. It'd be less of a hassle to just pick up the Wii U copy of the game and use the free 3DS MH3U save data transfer tool to copy your data to it and get online that way.

upandaway

Whoa! Be sure to update.

---
I might go online sometime in the middle of the week, probably. Hoping to do some arena challenges.

Vanillalite

Went online for realzies last night after my first Jaggi capture.

Had mad fun. Everyone was cool. I got a lot done. Killed stuff I haven't yet in SP. Did have one Monster we wiped at which sucks, but was cool as it showed we couldn't just roll everything.

Also I got my first full set of armor in the Rhenoplos. I look so cool and funny as this weird sort of almost armored bear. LoL

Wish Nintendo would employ strict standards and require all games to allow screenshots.

Insaniac

OMG Fuck Yeah!!!!

Finally caught a Great Jaggi!!!

If only I had a Miiverse screenshot! I literally was like fuck yeah out loud when it said objective completed!!!

W00T!!!

This is where monster hunter really shines, the satisfaction of the successful hunt. And where it really gets it longevity is the mastery of the hunt, with different weapons

Kandinsky

Honestly? If you guys have a second 3DS get a copy and play it with him. I guarantee you'll bond over it.
Yes, this. i even bought 2 extra 3DSs with the games, played it with my kids (13 and 15) and we had an amazing time, I can assure you they will remember it for the rest of their lives and that makes me incredibly happy. Now we are rdy for 4.

andthebeatgoeson

Yes, this. i even bought 2 extra 3DSs with the games, played it with my kids (13 and 15) and we had an amazing time, I can assure you they will remember it for the rest of their lives and that makes me incredibly happy. Now we are rdy for 4.

Wow, dad of the year. Sorry about their grades, tho. Eh, if they ever run into a 2 story sand snake with tusks, they'll know what to do. :p

tuffy

Wow, dad of the year. Sorry about their grades, tho. Eh, if they ever run into a 2 story sand snake with tusks, they'll know what to do. :p
Monster Hunter taught me that if I'm ever on fire, I need to stop what I'm doing and roll on the ground exactly three times to avoid serious injury.

Gaz_RB

Anyone have any experience with the circle pad pro for the XL?

Just hit the 50 hour mark and Monster Hunter just flipped the addiction switch in my brain. I'm getting a little sick of the camera (especially underwater) so I'm thinking of picking up the ccp as I get more into the game.

Is it worth it? How much of an improvement is it over the bottom screen touch d-pad? I also have RE:R that I still need to play so it'd be for more than Monster Hunter.

Top Bottom