• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

Anyone have any experience with the circle pad pro for the XL?

Just hit the 50 hour mark and Monster Hunter just flipped the addiction switch in my brain. I'm getting a little sick of the camera (especially underwater) so I'm thinking of picking up the ccp as I get more into the game.

Is it worth it? How much of an improvement is it over the bottom screen touch d-pad? I also have RE:R that I still need to play so it'd be for more than Monster Hunter.
I think it's a significant improvement over the virtual D-pad for camera control, and surprisingly seamless given that's basically a fancy IR emitter. I use one all the time for 3DS monster hunting and would recommend it to anyone.

Gaz_RB

I think it's a significant improvement over the virtual D-pad for camera control, and surprisingly seamless given that's basically a fancy IR emitter. I use one all the time for 3DS monster hunting and would recommend it to anyone.
That's what I wanted to hear.
Bought.

Honestly I'm probably going to end up buying a Wii U for online play if we don't get any MH4 news soon. Such a shame that the 3DS version of MH3U lacks it.

Wiseblade

Welcome to Monster Hunter, Wisey.
LtNDbKz.png

Whoa! Be sure to update.

---
I might go online sometime in the middle of the week, probably. Hoping to do some arena challenges.
I'm 10 hours in now, and I kind pf hate playing on the 3DS. The smaller screen is hard to adjust to and the lack of second analogue makes underwater battling a pain. But my friends all play on 3DS and my Wii U is set up in my bedroom, so I have to slum it to play with other people.

So far I've been using the Dual Blades and the Lance as my weapons of choice. I may give Bowguns a proper chance later down the line. There's still so much to learn about when it comes to gathering materials, combining items and crafting equipment to think about a third weapon.

Anura

I'm 10 hours in now, and I kind pf hate playing on the 3DS. The smaller screen is hard to adjust to and the lack of second analogue makes underwater battling a pain. But my friends all play on 3DS and my Wii U is set up in my bedroom, so I have to slum it to play with other people.

So far I've been using the Dual Blades and the Lance as my weapons of choice. I may give Bowguns a proper chance later down the line. There's still so much to learn about when it comes to gathering materials, combining items and crafting equipment to think about a third weapon.

The hardest thing about bowguns is actually thinking about hitzones in a different way. For example by shooting Narga's blade wings with thunder shots you are actually dealing pretty good damage even if it's a spot you want to avoid when using melee

upandaway

Lance and DS are my mains too (along with GS), but I rotate all weapons except bows/guns and hunting horn. Bowguns are super super fun, but a pain to maintain. I just go to the arena whenever I wanna use a bowgun.

The good thing about using lances and DS is that lances can benefit from any of the skills you'll want for DS. You can just choose your armor for DS and use it with the lance.

Gaz_RB

So what's the best way to get rare commodities? Trying to get some to trade for Bumblepumpkins for that badass looking armor.

GeekyDad

Finally caved and ordered a copy of the 3DS version. Was never terribly excited about the idea of Monster Hunter as solely a solo experience, but for $20 I'll try and help put a dent in supporting the franchise. I really want 4, and I hope we get it this year.

I would buy the hell out of it.

Has there been any news regarding localization and a time table for a US release?

There hasn't been any announcement on either a Wii U port or a localization, AFAIK. I'd prefer they not release it close to MH3U though - just that they close the gap a bit over the next two games.

GeekyDad

I would buy the hell out of it.

Has there been any news regarding localization and a time table for a US release?

You'da thought they would have thrown us a bone for the holiday, but nothing. Just that they're "still evaluating" the prospect of doing so. I'm honestly a little surprised NoA hasn't stepped up with some type of arrangement to publish it here. It's one of those franchises that deserves a little push from Nintendo here in the States.

tuffy

You'da thought they would have thrown us a bone for the holiday, but nothing. Just that they're "still evaluating" the prospect of doing so. I'm honestly a little surprised NoA hasn't stepped up with some type of arrangement to publish it here. It's one of those franchises that deserves a little push from Nintendo here in the States.
Given that Nintendo's already added Link and Mario costumes for the Felynes, I've just assumed they'll be the one to bring MH4 over sooner rather than later. The only hold-up might be taking time to put together another quick up-port for the Wii U since there's not a lot of text or voice acting to translate.

upandaway

Given that Nintendo's already added Link and Mario costumes for the Felynes, I've just assumed they'll be the one to bring MH4 over sooner rather than later. The only hold-up might be taking time to put together another quick up-port for the Wii U since there's not a lot of text or voice acting to translate.
Spring release looks to be the ideal time frame, which would put it up for some news in January.

I hope they're not having any funny ideas like digital only, or not bringing it at all.

Vire

Wow I think you guys are being really optimistic here. I don't see it being announced at all for some time if it does actually come over here because they just released 3U here less than a year ago they don't want to cut into their own sales.

Edit: don't get me wrong I would love to be wrong about that though.

GeekyDad

Wow I think you guys are being really optimistic here. I don't see it being announced at all for some time if it does actually come over here because they just released 3U here less than a year ago they don't want to cut into their own sales.

Edit: don't get me wrong I would love to be wrong about that though.

Yeah, but come on, Ultimate is, what, basically an enhanced port of Tri? It's the Super to Street Fighter, right? I can't recall there being that much time lapsing between the two games releasing in Japan. I don't foresee it releasing in the Spring, but I think we might hear something concrete about it coming by then. And I really don't see Capcom (or Nintendo) giving up on the franchise here in the States. It'll come...

Gaz_RB

Spring release looks to be the ideal time frame, which would put it up for some news in January.

I hope they're not having any funny ideas like digital only, or not bringing it at all.

Man I would even take digital only, as sad as that would be. I just want that sweet online play on 3DS. Hope we hear something soon.

Vire

Yeah, but come on, Ultimate is, what, basically an enhanced port of Tri? It's the Super to Street Fighter, right? I can't recall there being that much time lapsing between the two games releasing in Japan. I don't foresee it releasing in the Spring, but I think we might hear something concrete about it coming by then. And I really don't see Capcom (or Nintendo) giving up on the franchise here in the States. It'll come...

Hey I have no idea what goes on in Capcom's head hah I think its crazy too. However its the only plausible justification I can think of.

Hey I have no idea what goes on in Capcom's head hah I think its crazy too. However its the only plausible justification I can think of.

It's also a community thing. Playing online with community moving from one game to the next is nice,nd that transition wouldn't really be the same if they went from MH3U to MH4 in one year.

They should, however, work to bring the release date gap closer over the next two localizations.

And while I'm sure delaying a MH4 can also involve business decisions, those involve factors that don't always immediately impact the bottom line. Consideration for the small, western MH community and protecting a solid revenue stream aren't mutually exclusive. People also said when MH3U initially didn't support off-tv play, that it was a tactic to get people to double dip on 3DS. Which turned out to be wrong.

Not defending Capcom or saying that they aren't out to get your money, but I don't want MH4 one year after 3U.

Yeah, but come on, Ultimate is, what, basically an enhanced port of Tri? It's the Super to Street Fighter, right? I can't recall there being that much time lapsing between the two games releasing in Japan. I don't foresee it in releasing the Spring, but I think we might hear something concrete about it coming by then. And I really don't see Capcom (or Nintendo) giving up on the franchise here in the States. It'll come...

A better way to look at it would just be Tri G to MH4. Why even look at SF?

andthebeatgoeson

Anyone up for a Savage Deviljho run? Or Hallowed Jhen run?

01Free A lobby 1
Room name savagbeast

Come one, come all

Just made the HR jump. Now at HR35.

Edit: Wake up you bums. You drunk hung over bums. Eat. Drink water. And come hunt.

Edit2: You head ache means nothing. The only thing that matters, is lootin.

tuffy

Looks like I was able to track it down. Got to try out my new Uragaan Z suit with Artillery Expert and Partbreaker to see if it's any good for exploding the Jhens with ship weaponry and crag shot.

Anura

Looks like I was able to track it down. Got to try out my new Uragaan Z suit with Artillery Expert and Partbreaker to see if it's any good for exploding the Jhens with ship weaponry and crag shot.

Why not just use pierce/normal 3? Easily the best way to do Jhennifer and with the least amount of effort. Unless you're just having fun with weird sets and in that case more power to you...
I could never have fun with Jhen

tuffy

What's your NNID?

Mine is andthebeatgoeson.
NNID: Sassydog
Why not just use pierce/normal 3? Easily the best way to do Jhennifer and with the least amount of effort. Unless you're just having fun with weird sets and in that case more power to you...
I could never have fun with Jhen
I do actually have a Nibelsnarf X set and the Eclipse Gambit which seems like the recommended way to bring down Jhens, but I thought I'd mess around with some other approaches just to see what happens. It's an unusual sort of quest where one's regular monster hunting skills don't apply. Although it's kind of fun to tackle in a group with a lot of people bouncing between gongs and ballistas and dragonators, I find it a chore to do solo.

Highwind

Seems not a lot of people play anymore.

I've been sitting in the Free and G Rank rooms as I need Large Wyvern Stones and nobody is joining my room. x_x Been sitting here for an hour now.

andthebeatgoeson

NNID: Sassydog

I do actually have a Nibelsnarf X set and the Eclipse Gambit which seems like the recommended way to bring down Jhens, but I thought I'd mess around with some other approaches just to see what happens. It's an unusual sort of quest where one's regular monster hunting skills don't apply. Although it's kind of fun to tackle in a group with a lot of people bouncing between gongs and ballistas and dragonators, I find it a chore to do solo.

Oh, Sassy, you were doing awesome. Thanks.

Anyone up for some hunting? Hallowed Jhen or Savage Jho

GeekyDad

Eh...having a bit of buyer's remorse. Not that I bought the game, but that I didn't buy another copy for my wife. The Gamestop sale is over, dang it. Wasn't sure if I could coax her into playing it, but I probably should have just got another copy anyway while it was on sale. :(

Doombear

I am sure if you waited a bit, another sale will pop up. Either for it directly, or a blanket discount of some kind. The longer you wait though, the longer you put off the hours and hours of co-op shenanigan fun to be had!

Especially if she has never really played much before. Nothing beats the enjoyment of playing with someone who has never had the pleasure of meeting a Barroth head charge before =)

For me, I really don't think any single game franchise has paid for itself in terms our hours of fun more so than this series... and recently my daughter decided to give the demo a go. She timed out (but didn't triple cart!!) to Lagombi. Never been more proud in my life =P

GeekyDad

Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and order her a copy. Even at full price, with my savings, it's a good deal for two games. I just told her it's like Harvest Moon. :p

Monster Hunter Tri (Wii): August 1st 2009
Monster Hunter 3G (3DS): December 10th 2011

Nah, I was referring to the releases of MH3U in Japan and MH4 in Japan.

DaBoss

An MH game is released every year in Japan (port, new entry, or expansion).

There was 2 years between MH3G and MH4 in Japan.

tuffy

Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and order her a copy. Even at full price, with my savings, it's a good deal for two games. I just told her it's like Harvest Moon. :p
That's gonna be awesome. I got my nephew hooked on Monster Hunter and every time I see him I get roped into doing a lot of local multiplayer quests and/or answering a seemingly endless stream of questions about the game.

andthebeatgoeson

That's gonna be awesome. I got my nephew hooked on Monster Hunter and every time I see him I get roped into doing a lot of local multiplayer quests and/or answering a seemingly endless stream of questions about the game.
Nice. My 9 yo son is getting interested. I may buy it for him. Showed him how to Google answers on you tube. He's hooked on Zelda. He even wants an old school Zelda. With him seeing me play, it's only a matter of time. Her probably has too much rage quit in him, right now.

Can a noob skip the intro crap and just do multiplayer hunts? I could get him into it if I do all those hunts with him.

tuffy

Nice. My 9 yo son is getting interested. I may buy it for him. Showed him how to Google answers on you tube. He's hooked on Zelda. He even wants an old school Zelda. With him seeing me play, it's only a matter of time. Her probably has too much rage quit in him, right now.
My nephew looks up Youtube hunts all the time, like God's Archipelago vs. Alatreon or Dragon Shot vs. Abyssal Lagiacrus. He just puts together weapons that look cool and mismatched armor sets that he happens to have the parts for - which makes hunts a challenge. But he finally got the fragments for all three Artian X pieces so things are improving.
Can a noob skip the intro crap and just do multiplayer hunts? I could get him into it if I do all those hunts with him.
If memory serves, one can head to port immediately after making a character and watching the Moga Village intro/earthquake cutscene. None of the solo quests are required.

Hey Hunter-GAF, I just started playing MH3U on Wii U the other day and wow, what a game. I've put in over 15 hours in the last three days. However I'm stuck on the "Bear Hunt" quest. I've tried it many times and I'm either doing something wrong or my game has a glitch preventing me from completing this quest.

Every time the sequence of events is the same: find Arzuros, slice him up until he starts limping and runs to a new area, chase him down, trap him, then hit him with tranq bombs. But no matter how many I throw he doesn't go down. I've tried over and over but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Vire

Just because he changed areas doesn't mean he is ready for capture. Are you sure he is limping? You need to make sure he is limping or use an armor set that tells you when you can capture before you get a good feel for it. If he was asleep when you find him he was probably recovering some hp but that is very slow. You should only ever have to throw 2 try wacking him a few times in the trap after you do that but I have a feeling he wasn't really limping.

Most monsters will change territories multiple times throughout a fight. Sometimes it is just time related and has nothing to do with damage at all. Some times they will change when they are low on stamina and not hp.

I believe the bone armor set comes with capture guru.

Just because he changed areas doesn't mean he is ready for capture. You need to make sure he is limping or use an armor set that tells you when you can capture before you get a good feel for it.

Most monsters will change territories multiple times throughout a fight. Sometimes it is just time related and has nothing to do with damage at all. Some times they will change when they are low on stamina and not hp.

Okay, maybe I have not worn him down enough. I'll give it another go, thanks!

Vire

Okay, maybe I have not worn him down enough. I'll give it another go, thanks!

Good luck and yeah it just takes a little bit of experience you will get the hang of it and you will kinda just know when they are pretty close to being done. The way the capture skill works is if you paintball them their icon will flash pink/white pretty quickly when they are ready to be captured. Otherwise if you think they are going to die if you keep beating on them because they are so close, back off them and let them zone and watch them to make sure they limp.

Bam, did it. Ha ha, so easy when you know what you're doing. Thanks again for the help!

I am going to be playing so much of this game. The Pro controller has been an absolute life saver.

GeekyDad

Quick question:

In multiplayer, I'm aware the damage and HP of the monsters goes up, but is it scaled for the number of players, or is it simply a solo build and multiplayer build?

Thanks

tuffy

Quick question:

In multiplayer, I'm aware the damage and HP of the monsters goes up, but is it scaled for the number of players, or is it simply a solo build and multiplayer build?

Thanks
All the Port monsters have about twice as many HP as their Village counterparts no matter how many players are on the quest. It doesn't scale.

Wiseblade

"Hmmm, Ludroth Armour has an ability that slows stamina drain. That could be useful with dual blades. Maybe I should make a set."

"Nearly a dozen Royal Ludroths and not a single aqua sac. This is ridiculous, I'm never hunting another one again."

*later*

"Imma combine Everything in my box!"

*later*

"I should actually use the stuff I'm making. Mega Dash Juice sounds promising, I'll start there."

"YES! DEMON MODE ALL DAY BABY!"

"I need to get more of that dash extract stuff. Where did it come from?"

"Noooooooooooo!"

upandaway

"Hmmm, Ludroth Armour has an ability that slows stamina drain. That could be useful with dual blades. Maybe I should make a set."

"Nearly a dozen Royal Ludroths and not a single aqua sac. This is ridiculous, I'm never hunting another one again."

*later*

"Imma combine Everything in my box!"

*later*

"I should actually use the stuff I'm making. Mega Dash Juice sounds promising, I'll start there."

"YES! DEMON MODE ALL DAY BABY!"

"I need to get more of that dash extract stuff. Where did it come from?"

"Noooooooooooo!"
Rare Steak + Catalyst gives a dash juice without any dash extract, but I don't like using it with DS because demonize mode combos are so freaking long. Demonizing and immediately demon dancing gives you a sort of fast half-animation demonizing, so there's no need to stay in demonize when it's not necessary, and as long as the demon gauge is managed you aren't losing any DPS anyway (rather, you gain some, because you get more hits in when not in demonize).

Besides using dash juices all the time isn't very economical!

Wiseblade

Rare Steak + Catalyst gives a dash juice without any dash extract, but I don't like using it with DS because demonize mode combos are so freaking long. Demonizing and immediately demon dancing gives you a sort of fast half-animation demonizing, so there's no need to stay in demonize when it's not necessary, and as long as the demon gauge is managed you aren't losing any DPS anyway (rather, you gain some, because you get more hits in when not in demonize).

Besides using dash juices all the time isn't very economical!
It's more that I LOVE the Demon Dash. Like, really. Demon Mode gets a damage boost too, right? Is it the same for Archdemon mode?

upandaway

It's more that I LOVE the Demon Dash. Like, really. Demon Mode gets a damage boost too, right? Is it the same for Archdemon mode?
While in demonize you get I think 15% boost, and every hit fills the demon gauge. When it's full, the boost stays with you outside of demonize too (the dash stays too, it's basically demonize without the silly alternative combos).
I just use the demonize->demon dance combo (then retract demonize/sheathe when I'm done) whenever I know I can get a full dance off, and that's usually enough to keep the gauge up for most of the battle. Dunno what archdemon is!

Wiseblade

While in demonize you get I think 15% boost, and every hit fills the demon gauge. When it's full, the boost stays with you outside of demonize too (the dash stays too, it's basically demonize without the silly alternative combos).
I just use the demonize->demon dance combo (then retract demonize/sheathe when I'm done) whenever I know I can get a full dance off, and that's usually enough to keep the gauge up for most of the battle. Dunno what archdemon is!
Archdemon is just the name for when you go all glowy after filling the demon bar.

Top Bottom