• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

Huh, first time I saw it called that (or any name really). Quick google tells me it's widely known. Oh well~
Also worth saying in Archdemon the combos do change a little bit to reflect demonize combos (like the double spin), but it's only for the better.

Insaniac

Huh, first time I saw it called that (or any name really). Quick google tells me it's widely known. Oh well~
Also worth saying in Archdemon the combos do change a little bit to reflect demonize combos (like the double spin), but it's only for the better.

best thing about fighting in archdemon mode as opposed to demonized / demon dance is that you can cancel into demon dash a lot quicker and easier, rather than getting stuck in a long combo.

Marathon Runner is a great skill to have though if you use a lot of demon mode, it makes a HUGE difference.

My current setup is all G.beard ceadeus armor except Ludroth Torso and I can get +1 sharpness, Marathon Runner, +1 Water attack, and Earplugs
with a decent amount of open sockets

upandaway

Try out the Chum Chum Scarecrows if you want some real dual sword fun. I remember just taking it with me on a gathering quest just because I could craft it, saw a roaming R.Ludroth, tried it out. Blew my freaking mind.

Anura

Try out the Chum Chum Scarecrows if you want some real dual sword fun. I remember just taking it with me on a gathering quest just because I could craft it, saw a roaming R.Ludroth, tried it out. Blew my freaking mind.
Well... Only if you want a good time instead of a good clear time... Or multiplayer I guess

upandaway

Well... Only if you want a good time instead of a good clear time... Or multiplayer I guess
Well yeah para isn't really good in single player. After a while it becomes really easy to paralyze them while in pitfalls, one time a hammer managed to pull of a knockout in the pitfall right afterwards, that was fun.

Anura

Go fishing with a frog in the one area. He'll bite on it and you can start the battle on land, which makes the whole fight a lot easier even if he runs to water later
For whatever reason they decided to spawn him on land in G rank (maybe high rank too?) making the frog trick completely irrelevant

ohkay

I recently started playing this game with the bow since I generally favor ranged classes, but would you guys say it's easy to learn how to use the other weapons?

upandaway

I recently started playing this game with the bow since I generally favor ranged classes, but would you guys say it's easy to learn how to use the other weapons?
The bow is the weapon I had the hardest time learning and gave up pretty fast. There's so much importance on discerning the distance between you and the monster, it's impossible for me.

Also needing pretty much specialized armor that can't be used with any other weapon, in parts or whole. I'd say almost every other weapon is more newcomer friendly.

tuffy

I never could get the hang of the bow and its charge levels whereas bowgunning came a lot more naturally. Light bowgunning in particular has a nice balance of mobility and firepower once you start taking advantage of its rapid-fire ability.

Anura

I love the bow! The kelbi bow out damaging every other bow almost killed it for me. But it's still fun to play when not mashing X. For your skills go for focus first and then normal/pierce/scatter up second and then try to gem on whatever else. You also need to mind your range as you get the most damage standing a certain distance away and it's actually closer than you might think. And finally if your bow can't use power coating it isn't worth using.

isual

I love the bow! The kelbi bow out damaging every other bow almost killed it for me. But it's still fun to play when not mashing X. For your skills go for focus first and then normal/pierce/scatter up second and then try to gem on whatever else. You also need to mind your range as you get the most damage standing a certain distance away and it's actually closer than you might think. And finally if your bow can't use power coating it isn't worth using.

by kelbi bow, you mean kelbi slingshot right ?

by kelbi bow, you mean kelbi slingshot right ?

Yes it's called Kelbi Stingshot → Kelbi Strongshot → Great Kelbi Deershot and looks like this:
n0ayvUZ.jpg

There's no other bow (or even weapon) with Kelbi in the name or requiring Kelbi Horns / Blue Kelbi Horns, it's just a shorter nickname.

GeekyDad

Kinda surprised how functional the virtual D-pad on the touch screen is once you move it all the way to the bottom right and re-size it. They give you a lot of options for the interface. Very solid effort there. It could be all those months of dedicated iOS gaming that have made it easier for me to maneuver, but it's working out nicely so far on 3DS without a CPP.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kinda surprised how functional the virtual D-pad on the touch screen is once you move it all the way to the bottom right and re-size it. They give you a lot of options for the interface. Very solid effort there. It could be all those months of dedicated iOS gaming that have made it easier for me to maneuver, but it's working out nicely so far on 3DS without a CPP.

Yeah, the few times that I need manual control I've found it more then meets my needs, I have it down on the far-right corner so I can mash at it with the thumb on the buttons

Insaniac

Eventually give the Heavy Bowgun a chance. I never EVER tried it due to the fact it makes you slow, but I forged the Virnar HBG (Nargacuga) with some Rathalos armor and Normal Up. With Siege mode you can go to town on rathians and rathalos and shoot them out of the sky all day, so satisfying.

Also, played like 6 hours of MH3G with my cousin today, its finally clicking with him, why it so fun, so satisfying and so addictive

GeekyDad

Argh...having a hell of a time figuring out what charm table I'm on. Did three dispatches, logged their returns, and that charm-table thingy still won't seem to spit out what table I'm on (not that I'd understand it if it did, since it's in Japanese).

tuffy

After many months and about 100 Volcano runs, I finally tracked down the God's Isle while mining Meldspar to max out yet another armor set. Upgrading it to the God's Archipelago, installing a silencer and removing the limiter (pretty much obligatory) makes it work really well with that Uragaan Z set I threw together a few days ago. Artillery Expert, Knockout King and Recoil Down are perfect for exploding things.

Argh...having a hell of a time figuring out what charm table I'm on. Did three dispatches, logged their returns, and that charm-table thingy still won't seem to spit out what table I'm on (not that I'd understand it if it did, since it's in Japanese).

There's a downloadable app for Windows entirely in English called Athena's Fish Finder. I believe it also comes with a FAQ in the Help menu.

Haunted

Anyone else having trouble connecting online lately? Wanted to help out a friend getting started online but I keep getting a "could not retrieve world information" error and it just boots me straight out.

upandaway

Anyone else having trouble connecting online lately? Wanted to help out a friend getting started online but I keep getting a "could not retrieve world information" error and it just boots me straight out.
Sometimes it starts happening and doesn't stop, usually if I go out of the game and back in it's fixed. I think it's a bug in the game itself or something.

Wiseblade

Sometimes it starts happening and doesn't stop, usually if I go out of the game and back in it's fixed. I think it's a bug in the game itself or something.
Hey

HEY

When are we going to play online together? Am I not good enough for you? Is that it?

That goes double for you, Andrex.

Insaniac

dunno what you mean by "lately" but i played for like 7 hours straight yesterday night without any disconnections

GeekyDad

There's a downloadable app for Windows entirely in English called Athena's Fish Finder. I believe it also comes with a FAQ in the Help menu.

Yeah, someone on GFAQs helped me out with that. I can't seem to access the Minegarde forums. Every time I click that link, it merely shows the shoutbox and an error message.

Anyhoo, looks like I'm on table 2. Thanks anyway.

Having a tremendous amount of fun with the game thus far. Kinda feel like they purposely left online out to gouge players into buying both a Wii and 3DS copy, but hey, that's Capcom. They make good crack. Hard to argue with that kinda dealer.

tuffy

I didn't have any trouble connecting yesterday either, though online multiplayer has gone down for maintenance on Mondays in the past.

And I'm up for any kind of multiplayer get-togethers, though the best times for me are weekends or evenings (CST).

upandaway

Hey

HEY

When are we going to play online together? Am I not good enough for you? Is that it?

I've been holding off because my hands started hurting a bit again, but once in a while is fine, I can go on right now if you can.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey

HEY

We can probably play tonight, depending on how tired I am. But you're in Britland if I remember right so coordinating might be a bit loopy.

Also, I'm slightly rusty.

Haunted

Tried that, didn't fix it, sadly. :/

I'll try again tomorrow.

dunno what you mean by "lately" but i played for like 7 hours straight yesterday night without any disconnections
Yesterday and Today. Looks like it's a problem on my end, then.

GeekyDad

Haven't been able to take my 3DS off the charger all day. It just hasn't had a chance to charge up.

Must have that Rhenoplos armor set.

GeekyDad

Question:

I'm wearing the Jaggi armor right now, which has the cumulative -10 fire resistance. I bought and set a +1 fire resistant decoration, but it's still showing -10 fire resistance when I check my status. Is it knocking it down to -9 and simply not showing it, or am I not receiving any counterbalance from the decoration?

Top Bottom