• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

ohkay

Question:

I'm wearing the Jaggi armor right now, which has the cumulative -10 fire resistance. I bought and set a +1 fire resistant decoration, but it's still showing -10 fire resistance when I check my status. Is it knocking it down to -9 and simply not showing it, or am I not receiving any counterbalance from the decoration?
Now I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure the decorations are for skill points, and don't directly translate to fire resistance. You probably need at least 10 points in it to see any gain.

Chaos

Question:

I'm wearing the Jaggi armor right now, which has the cumulative -10 fire resistance. I bought and set a +1 fire resistant decoration, but it's still showing -10 fire resistance when I check my status. Is it knocking it down to -9 and simply not showing it, or am I not receiving any counterbalance from the decoration?

You might need decorations that add up to +10 to negate it.
There is a decorations guide on this vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE8L_Kwkomc

Tip: Open the menu, 2nd tab → Status, and with the D-pad move to page 3. It will show you a big table with all active skills, and the rest = points that don't affect you whatsoever since they don't add up to at least +10 / -10. Also you can press Y to see all thresholds of a skill tree.

It can be confusing because 10 points in “Health” skill tree will activate the “Health +20” skill, thus giving you 20 extra HP.

Insaniac

Question:

people have answered your questions, but all armor skills need to reach a +10 points to have some sort of effect. So in your case, you put +1 fire resist SKILL into the armor, this doesn't translate directly into +1 fire resist. Once you hit +10 fire resist skill points in your armor, you will get a +10 fire resist boost.

Some skills can be boosted past +10 for additional benefits. In this case, boosting fire resist skills to +15 will get you a +20 fire resist benefit. If you need more info on armor skills check the MH wiki or google it up

additionally, some skills will give you a debuff if it goes to -10 or further. Again, if your fire resist SKILLs goes to -10 you will receive a penalty of -10 fire resistance. Look closely at armors and decorations you use to see what skill they increase, and what skill the may reduce

darkziosj

This probably has been asked tons of times and the search button doesn't show me anything relevant but im planning on playing this game solo i will get stuck at some point without using the multiplayer? also is there a ending when playing it solo?

This probably has been asked tons of times and the search button doesn't show me anything relevant but im planning on playing this game solo i will get stuck at some point without using the multiplayer? also is there a ending when playing it solo?

There's like 98% of the content that can be obtained without using multiplayer.

If you can't use StreetPass – i.e. you don't physically know anyone owning MH3U on 3DS and never go near StreetPass hotspots (like McDonalds or whatever) – then you can't get 2 items (Butterfly Beetle & Maiden Butterfly) required for 2 not particularly interesting armor sets (Aelucanth/Aelucanth X) and 5 weapons (hunting horns: Magia Charm → Magia Charmbell → Aria Rhota; dual blades: Master Sabers; light bowgun: Sniper Ascension). There are about 200 armor sets and 1400 weapons in the game…

There are a couple dozen Event quests you can download for free if your 3DS can access the Internet. Among them, a few are very hard and you might not be able to complete them on your own and thus get their rewards.

Outside of this, you're not missing anything. The story & ending are not affected; actually the ending only shows up in the solo mode. It will just take you more time to complete the quests that can be done in multiplayer mode because you'll be alone and HP don't scale.

Wiseblade

I'm getting home in about an hour, anyone want to join me in farming Gigginox for Uncanny Hides in Low Rank? I promise not to suck too much.

tuffy

Awwww you can't stack Thunder +2 and Elemental :( :( :( :(
Element Atk +1 makes all the individual elemental up skills obsolete since it's a 20% boost for all elements for only 10 skill points instead of a 20% boost for 15 points like the others. The downside is that Element Jewel 1/3s require some high rank Alatreon parts to make - which can be a rough fight.

Insaniac

Element Atk +1 makes all the individual elemental up skills obsolete since it's a 20% boost for all elements for only 10 skill points instead of a 20% boost for 15 points like the others. The downside is that Element Jewel 1/3s require some high rank Alatreon parts to make - which can be a rough fight.

I know, but I wanted to see if I could get a 40% elemental boost on my bow for shits and giggles

It's a complete shame because you totally could in P3rd... In MH4 however there is X element +3 and it's stackable with element attack up!

Oooh that sounds tasty. Let me just grab my NA Copy of Mh4.... oh :(

Anura

I know, but I wanted to see if I could get a 40% elemental boost on my bow for shits and giggles

Oooh that sounds tasty. Let me just grab my NA Copy of Mh4.... oh :(

Also after checking my game it seems like X element +1 adds 50 element no matter what and then as you get +2, +3 and ele attack up it adds the 10% on (so with element attack up and X element + 3 it becomes 50ele+10%+10%+10%)

Insaniac

Also after checking my game it seems like X element +1 adds 50 element no matter what and then as you get +2, +3 and ele attack up it adds the 10% on (so with element attack up and X element + 3 it becomes 50ele+10%+10%+10%)

I'm still confused, so x ele +1 does +50 element, then +2 and +3 do what?

Anura

I'm still confused, so x ele +1 does +50 element, then +2 and +3 do what?
They add 10% extra element and function like +1 and +2 do in MH3U

So if you gem on +1 you get 50 extra element and then if you bump it up to +2 you get 50 + 10% and then if you go even further at +3 you get 50 + 10% + 10%

upandaway

I knew it was gonna happen, but it still hurts to see what multiplayer does to your skills. I was playing so bad, if I didn't have G-rank armor I would have died a thousand times over. I also tried out village Alateron a bit before going online and it was a disaster.
When the only quests I have left really are village Alatreon and arenas, that's a bit worrying.

Also wise-man, next time um, let's make a town a bit deeper into the servers. It was cool with the other peeps but I wanted to do more of your quests. I figured it was fine to use overpowered gear if it's not quests you needed, but it's less fun.

tuffy

I just mentioned it as a PSA of sorts; I'm just happy to get Attack Up Large, Element Atk +1 and Bonus shot in the same set.
I knew it was gonna happen, but it still hurts to see what multiplayer does to your skills. I was playing so bad, if I didn't have G-rank armor I would have died a thousand times over. I also tried out village Alateron a bit before going online and it was a disaster.
This is why I habitually hunt anything halfway interesting that pops up in the Moga Woods forecast. Even if they only get up to high rank, it's good solo practice.

Wiseblade

When the only quests I have left really are village Alatreon and arenas, that's a bit worrying.

Also wise-man, next time um, let's make a town a bit deeper into the servers. It was cool with the other peeps but I wanted to do more of your quests. I figured it was fine to use overpowered gear if it's not quests you needed, but it's less fun.
All I was aiming to get were my bloodwings, so making HR3 was a bonus. I'm a little wary of getting too far ahead of the friends I play locally with, too. They only just made HR2 and only started messing with the village once they realised I'd overtaken them.

GeekyDad

Man, this game is like Demon's/Dark Souls all over again. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure seems like FromSoftware borrowed quite a few ideas from the Monster Hunter games, stamina management perhaps being the most obvious. But the forging system too has that same kind of OCD rabbit hole.

Haven't had much luck, though, getting my wife to play, so it's been mostly solo. I'm starting to see a valid reason to own a Wii U now. :p

depward

Yeah, Monster Hunter was the game I bought my Wii U for. Completely worth it.

Glad to read that the hooks are getting deeper GeekyDad! Feel free to add my NNID if you want to play anytime - clembk.

You'll see that the more you play, the more you'll keep on falling in love with the game :D

nin1000

Banned
Ok Ok Ok So After buying this game back in april , i started playing but shortly left the game as there were too many games to play at that time period.

My first wall was lagiacrus , i did not know how to properly fight underwater, i tried several times but well i got frustrated and left the game for some months till i came back in Summer i think, i kept going and finally killed him after several tries ! YES
After that it went downhill as i could not access some 5 Star missions ! I looked up in the internet ( but me moron did not think of NeoGaf duh) but nothing was found. Again i left the game to rot.

In September i met up with an old friend who visited me from USA ( he had the game aswell and was like 500 hours into it ) so i asked him how i could access those missions.
He laughed went behind the waterfall and that was it. i was so frustrated but i had to laugh that it was so easy :D. He gave me several tips how to properly fight which was good as it helped me farm a lot better.
My last wall i managed to overcome was a week ago as i had problems fighting the Ceadeus ! The main issue was that you have to do a certain amount of damage before he goes into area 3. With my full lagiacrus and thunderclap i tried several times and finally got enough damage in order to keep fighting him !

well and now i finally have access to High Rank missions and boy is that a good felling ! It feels as i have finally got into the real meat of the game :)
I cant wait to sink more time into that game :)

As i said i have Full lagi and the blade from the traveler atm , what armor and weapon should i be building next ?
( i have been only playing with a longsword as i sold all the other weapons at the beginning of the game ,yeah i got laughed out for that move from my friend aswell )

Anura

Ok Ok Ok So After buying this game back in april , i started playing but shortly left the game as there were too many games to play at that time period.

My first wall was lagiacrus , i did not know how to properly fight underwater, i tried several times but well i got frustrated and left the game for some months till i came back in Summer i think, i kept going and finally killed him after several tries ! YES
After that it went downhill as i could not access some 5 Star missions ! I looked up in the internet ( but me moron did not think of NeoGaf duh) but nothing was found. Again i left the game to rot.

In September i met up with an old friend who visited me from USA ( he had the game aswell and was like 500 hours into it ) so i asked him how i could access those missions.
He laughed went behind the waterfall and that was it. i was so frustrated but i had to laugh that it was so easy :D. He gave me several tips how to properly fight which was good as it helped me farm a lot better.
My last wall i managed to overcome was a week ago as i had problems fighting the Ceadeus ! The main issue was that you have to do a certain amount of damage before he goes into area 3. With my full lagiacrus and thunderclap i tried several times and finally got enough damage in order to keep fighting him !

well and now i finally have access to High Rank missions and boy is that a good felling ! It feels as i have finally got into the real meat of the game :)
I cant wait to sink more time into that game :)

As i said i have Full lagi and the blade from the traveler atm , what armor and weapon should i be building next ?
( i have been only playing with a longsword as i sold all the other weapons at the beginning of the game ,yeah i got laughed out for that move from my friend aswell )

For the start of high rank I would suggest G. Jaggi S as it is easy to make and should see you through at least this set of stars and if you're good enough the whole of High Rank

GeekyDad

Yeah, Monster Hunter was the game I bought my Wii U for. Completely worth it.

Glad to read that the hooks are getting deeper GeekyDad! Feel free to add my NNID if you want to play anytime - clembk.

You'll see that the more you play, the more you'll keep on falling in love with the game :D

Ha, ha! Sorry, I should have worded it "a valid reason to 'buy' a Wii U." Don't own one yet, but I now see a definite need for one in my life. :)

nin1000

Banned
For the start of high rank I would suggest G. Jaggi S as it is easy to make and should see you through at least this set of stars and if you're good enough the whole of High Rank

Thanks , that will be no problem at all considering that Jaggi is very easy to farm even in G rank he is very easy to read and take out

co1onel

I just finished low-rank, and I know I'm really late to this third gen party but I must say, underwater battles have got to be the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. Such an unnecessary evil.

Chaos

I started playing again after a long break and agree the underwater battles are tough.
Had to capture a Lagiacrus yesterday and it was hard!

Im still fairly new to the game, Village lvl 5 and HR0 hehe

GeekyDad

I just finished low-rank, and I know I'm really late to this third gen party but I must say, underwater battles have got to be the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. Such an unnecessary evil.

Thought I'd never get used to it when I first tried the demo, and I'm playing on 3DS without a CPP. It's become doable for me now. I even enjoy it to some extent. I will say this, Gobul is much preferred in the water than out. It's so easy for his fat ass to box you in on land, especially on 3DS where everything is so much smaller onscreen and difficult to see. Either way, Gobul's a fat ass and I hate him. He's not even difficult, just fat and wants all of the land mass for his fat self. DIE, GOBUL, DIE!!

Anura

Thanks , that will be no problem at all considering that Jaggi is very easy to farm even in G rank he is very easy to read and take out
Another armor set to look out for is Volvidon. When you unlock it you might want to think about making that one too as it's also easy to make and it has some fairly good skills

Insaniac

So started and finished my Aquasteed Harp bow and armor set (Uragaan X) and it's been awesome. Its like Uragaan X armor was made for this bow :3

GeekyDad

Well, Lagiacrus was something of a pussycat, at least so far. It's looking like I'll be seeing him again, but the battle -- though fun -- wasn't nearly as intense as I thought it would be. He's all bark, no bite. Of course, I was shooting at him from the grandstands with my Gobul Shooter. :p

Feels good, man.

Recently got back into the game after having not played for a while, playing a lot of LBG right now.

What are some of the essential bowguns I should be making? I'm already at G-rank but I've never played LBG before. Other general LBG tips are welcome as well.

Anura

Recently got back into the game after having not played for a while, playing a lot of LBG right now.

What are some of the essential bowguns I should be making? I'm already at G-rank but I've never played LBG before. Other general LBG tips are welcome as well.
Go for element shots first plessy for water dire miralis for fire A. Lagi for thunder and Bari for ice. Get the G rank ala armor for element gunning and try to gem in bonus shot

For all out support go for the cat bowgun but Keep in mind that God's archipelago is really good for para and KO support with the boon of actually being able to deal decent damage

Insaniac

Yeah it totally is! Just gem in focus and you're good to go
z2RIGPw.jpg

Oh you know it!

btkadams

Is it normal for the demo to be difficult for a newcomer? I beat the easy quest but I had low health and no potions by the end. I used the sword and shield combo. I'm just wondering if the full game is going to ruthlessly kick my ass.

DaBoss

Is it normal for the demo to be difficult for a newcomer? I beat the easy quest but I had low health and no potions by the end. I used the sword and shield combo. I'm just wondering if the full game is going to ruthlessly kick my ass.
The demo doesn't explain the mechanics at all (and the manual doesn't say anything beyond what buttons do). The game will ease you into it. The difficulty curve has been significantly improved.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

In a way. If you beat it you should be feeling pretty good. The real game will tutorialize and ease you into things much better, and when you eventually face Lagombi again you'll kick his ass much more easily.

However, the nature of the fights and emphasis on preparation won't change.

btkadams

The demo doesn't explain the mechanics at all (and the manual doesn't say anything beyond what buttons do). The game will ease you into it. The difficulty curve has been significantly improved.

In a way. If you beat it you should be feeling pretty good. The real game will tutorialize and ease you into things much better, and when you eventually face Lagombi again you'll kick his ass much more easily.

However, the nature of the fights and emphasis on preparation won't change.
Hmm...ok. I think I'm going to pick this up. I hate that I missed out on the sales this past fall.

I just have a few questions for deciding the version I get. Is the online community still active? Can I play the 3DS one online with gaffers as long as I have a Wii U? And, are there a bunch of gaffers still playing, or did I miss the boat? I don't mind playing on my Wii U, but I would have more opportunities to play a portable version. I'm not really sure if there are any big differences between the two.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmm...ok. I think I'm going to pick this up. I hate that I missed out on the sales this past fall.

I just have a few questions for deciding the version I get. Is the online community still active? Can I play the 3DS one online with gaffers as long as I have a Wii U? And, are there a bunch of gaffers still playing, or did I miss the boat? I don't mind playing on my Wii U, but I would have more opportunities to play a portable version. I'm not really sure if there are any big differences between the two.

The thread seems pretty active (multiple new posts every day), and yes you can play the 3DS version online if you have a Wii U and buy a network adapter (USB to ethernet.)

Online is really the only difference in the Wii U version, aside from the obvious graphical improvements.

btkadams

The thread seems pretty active (multiple new posts every day), and yes you can play the 3DS version online if you have a Wii U and buy a network adapter (USB to ethernet.)

Online is really the only difference in the Wii U version, aside from the obvious graphical improvements.
Why do you need the LAN adapter? Is it because the 3DS connects to the Wii U's Wifi, so the Wii U needs Ethernet to connect online?

Thank you for answering my questions btw.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why do you need the LAN adapter? Is it because the 3DS connects to the Wii U's Wifi, so the Wii U needs Ethernet to connect online?

Thank you for answering my questions btw.

Yeah, it's probably something like that. I've never tried it since I have both versions, but all the guides I've read have been insistent that it's required.

btkadams

Yeah, it's probably something like that. I've never tried it since I have both versions, but all the guides I've read have been insistent that it's required.
Ugh NINTENDO. Why wouldn't they include an Ethernet port on the Wii U? I guess I'll have to get the adapter lol.

Insaniac

Ugh NINTENDO. Why wouldn't they include an Ethernet port on the Wii U? I guess I'll have to get the adapter lol.

rather then spend 25 bucks on an adaptor why not just buy MH3U for Wii U? I'm sure you can find a deal somewhere relatively cheap and you get to play in HD.

edit: read your past posts, I would get the Wii U version honestly

Go for element shots first plessy for water dire miralis for fire A. Lagi for thunder and Bari for ice. Get the G rank ala armor for element gunning and try to gem in bonus shot

For all out support go for the cat bowgun but Keep in mind that God's archipelago is really good for para and KO support with the boon of actually being able to deal decent damage

That's exactly what I was looking for, cheers! I actually was in the process of making the God's Archipelago already since I found the worn weapon a while back, so that's convenient.

Never fought Alatreon before so trying to get the armor is going to be interesting.

Top Bottom