• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

rather then spend 25 bucks on an adaptor why not just buy MH3U for Wii U? I'm sure you can find a deal somewhere relatively cheap and you get to play in HD.

edit: read your past posts, I would get the Wii U version honestly
Thinking about it, he really could just get both versions for the same price as the 3DS version + the adapter. It's pretty funny.

If I wasn't getting both, I would get the Wii U version easily. Getting the version without online is not an option, and getting the 3DS version online costs the same as just getting both versions.

GeekyDad

Is it normal for the demo to be difficult for a newcomer? I beat the easy quest but I had low health and no potions by the end. I used the sword and shield combo. I'm just wondering if the full game is going to ruthlessly kick my ass.

As a newcomer myself (with over 70 hours in now), I wanted to chime it. Yeah, the demo is...perplexing to a newcomer, at least in my experience. I remember trying Tri for Wii; didn't get it. Then, when this came out, I downloaded the 3DS demo. I couldn't understand how this could be fun?

As months passed, the more I read about the game, the more I started to see the bigger picture. See, the demo just throws you right into a hunt without any of the massive context you need to understand how the game truly works. You don't know what the items are for or how they work; you don't understand why your stamina is draining in the tundra quest (if you even notice it). There's a very big work up to the larger hunts, and once you go through that process, the hunt itself makes more sense in terms of managing your stamina and items, and how to approach a large monster. In most games, you take enemies out quickly -- there's a lot of instant gratification. Here, there's a chase involved, trapping, a lot of stop and go, preparation.

The demo isn't bad, really. It's just very difficult to convey in a demo what the game is truly about and how it works.

rather then spend 25 bucks on an adaptor why not just buy MH3U for Wii U? I'm sure you can find a deal somewhere relatively cheap and you get to play in HD.

And yeah. I'm playing the 3DS version, and it makes me wish I owned a Wii U. If you have a Wii U, definitely get that version. It looks beautiful, and online co-op is a huge, huge feature. Plus, though you can get used to the digital D-pad (or use a CPP) as I did, it's tough on the hands played on 3DS.

btkadams

As a newcomer myself (with over 70 hours in now), I wanted to chime it. Yeah, the demo is...perplexing to a newcomer, at least in my experience. I remember trying Tri for Wii; didn't get it. Then, when this came out, I downloaded the 3DS demo. I couldn't understand how this could be fun?

As months passed, the more I read about the game, the more I started to see the bigger picture. See, the demo just throws you right into a hunt without any of the massive context you need to understand how the game truly works. You don't know what the items are for or how they work; you don't understand why your stamina is draining in the tundra quest (if you even notice it). There's a very big work up to the larger hunts, and once you go through that process, the hunt itself makes more sense in terms of managing your stamina and items, and how to approach a large monster. In most games, you take enemies out quickly -- there's a lot of instant gratification. Here, there's a chase involved, trapping, a lot of stop and go, preparation.

The demo isn't bad, really. It's just very difficult to convey in a demo what the game is truly about and how it works.

And yeah. I'm playing the 3DS version, and it makes me wish I owned a Wii U. If you have a Wii U, definitely get that version. It looks beautiful, and online co-op is a huge, huge feature. Plus, though you can get used to the digital D-pad (or use a CPP) as I did, it's tough on the hands played on 3DS.

yeah, i realized after my previous post that it would makes little sense for me to buy the ethernet adapter at this point. i was getting it to play the 3ds version online, but that would still require me being near my wii u...it just makes way more sense to have the wii u game and just play that version when i want to play online. i spent half of my week away from home, so that's why the 3ds version is more appealing than just buying the wii u game. i'd really like to play online when i can though, so i think i will get both versions when i can find a deal.

GeekyDad

yeah, i realized after my previous post that it would makes little sense for me to buy the ethernet adapter at this point. i was getting it to play the 3ds version online, but that would still require me being near my wii u...it just makes way more sense to have the wii u game and just play that version when i want to play online. i spent half of my week away from home, so that's why the 3ds version is more appealing than just buying the wii u game. i'd really like to play online when i can though, so i think i will get both versions when i can find a deal.

Hmm...well, I believe you can transfer saves, so whichever route you go with, you should still be able to enjoy your character on either system. Considering how much time and energy you're likely to invest in one (or three), that's another pretty sweet feature.

Enjoy!

Ferrio

Banned
So I just recently started playing this on the Wii U. I have a question about the switch axe and discharge ability. What's the best way to use it? Everytime I do use it it seems to be blocked or something... and can't even tell if it's doing any damage since well there's no life bars.

Anura

So I just recently started playing this on the Wii U. I have a question about the switch axe and discharge ability. What's the best way to use it? Everytime I do use it it seems to be blocked or something... and can't even tell if it's doing any damage since well there's no life bars.

If you're talking about that "clink" noise that happens when your weapons bounce then don't worry you're still dealing damage just not a hole lot

Insaniac

If you're talking about the discharge ability when you press X+A while in sword mode... You have to keep pressing a (or x i can't remember off the top of my head) for the discharge ability to do its full damage (it will "explode" at the end) If your switch axe does not have enough charge (the bar under the sharpness) it may not be able to do a full discharge

upandaway

Also, there's not much reason to use the burst attack unless you're using an element the monster is really weak to. It's not really strong enough to justify the time it takes. It should be ok ignoring the attack completely, I think.

Anura

Also, there's not much reason to use the burst attack unless you're using an element the monster is really weak to. It's not really strong enough to justify the time it takes. It should be ok ignoring the attack completely, I think.

Yeah just switch into sword mode and use the vertical slash when the monster is down... It's kinda sad that such a cool feature is completely outclassed by mashing X

GeekyDad

With so many awesome weapons in the game and me kinda settling mostly with LBG, I finally got around to making a decent GS. What a discovery! Been free hunting Rathians all day with it and having a really good time, albeit getting tossed around a lot for my newbness. But I think its charge and draw charge work better for me than the type of charge from the hammer, though I really dig that too. I just discovered how to break the charge on hammer by rolling mid-charge, which I'm sure is old hat for most, but it sure makes things a lot more manageable for me now that I know.

upandaway

With so many awesome weapons in the game and me kinda settling mostly with LBG, I finally got around to making a decent GS. What a discovery! Been free hunting Rathians all day with it and having a really good time, albeit getting tossed around a lot for my newbness. But I think its charge and draw charge work better for me than the type of charge from the hammer, though I really dig that too. I just discovered how to break the charge on hammer by rolling mid-charge, which I'm sure is old hat for most, but it sure makes things a lot more manageable for me now that I know.
Playing around the charge is the Hammer's business. The charge is the connection between all of the Hammer's different attacks, so you can use it to theoretically never be in a situation when you're not either attacking or charging. Completely different from the GS where it's a pure damage explosion.

tuffy

With so many awesome weapons in the game and me kinda settling mostly with LBG, I finally got around to making a decent GS.
LBG is awesome. It's ranged, it's mobile, and I've been addicted since my Cross Bowgun+ lit up a whole room full of Jaggis with rapid-fire pellet shot.

Though lately I've been branching out into the strange and mysterious world of heavy bowgunning, where staggering monsters with massive normal 3 ricochets is addicting in its own way.

GeekyDad

LBG is awesome. It's ranged, it's mobile, and I've been addicted since my Cross Bowgun+ lit up a whole room full of Jaggis with rapid-fire pellet shot.

Though lately I've been branching out into the strange and mysterious world of heavy bowgunning, where staggering monsters with massive normal 3 ricochets is addicting in its own way.

:)

Yeah, though I tried all of the weapons when I first started, I haven't spent much time with HBG. I think once I feel more confident and my reflexes are better attuned to the monsters' attack patterns, I'll go back to it. That slow movement seems to call for a lot more skill than I feel I have right now.

I will say this, I was pretty dependent on that rapid-fire pellet shot and didn't want to give it up, but the RF Normal S lvl 2 ain't too shabby. Made farming the Gobul lanterns a whole lot easier for me.

tuffy

Yeah, though I tried all of the weapons when I first started, I haven't spent much time with HBG. I think once I feel more confident and my reflexes are better attuned to the monsters' attack patterns, I'll go back to it. That slow movement seems to call for a lot more skill than I feel I have right now.
I've heard that heavy bowgunning is more difficult to do solo and that seems like a fair assessment. Not only is mobility so much slower, but the lack of rapid fire means you're a lot more likely to need to stop and combine more ammunition in the middle of a hunt or rely on secondary shots. But it seems to work well against big sluggish monsters thus far.
I will say this, I was pretty dependent on that rapid-fire pellet shot and didn't want to give it up, but the RF Normal S lvl 2 ain't too shabby. Made farming the Gobul lanterns a whole lot easier for me.
The game really encourages new players to pellet spam everything at first since all the starter guns rapid fire it. But in the long run, it's better to tap the scope trigger and put a lot of precise normal/elemental shots into monster weak spots whenever there's an opening. And if you're ever underwater, normal 3 shots ricochet like crazy and tear up just about everything.

Anura

Heavy bowgun is a lot of fun and can trivialize some otherwise difficult fights. It's actually my third most used weapon type at 300+ usages

GeekyDad

The game really encourages new players to pellet spam everything at first since all the starter guns rapid fire it. But in the long run, it's better to tap the scope trigger and put a lot of precise normal/elemental shots into monster weak spots whenever there's an opening. And if you're ever underwater, normal 3 shots ricochet like crazy and tear up just about everything.

Yeah, I would say it took me about the first 30 hours before I felt comfortable enough with the controls to start scoping regularly. Got a much better feel for quickly getting myself on the monster now to down-scope, fire, and come out of scope before the fire ends usually so I can hustle to another position quickly.

Heavy bowgun is a lot of fun and can trivialize some otherwise difficult fights. It's actually my third most used weapon type at 300+ usages

I will have to make a decent one, then. Looks like I'm up for my second encounter with the Lagiacrus. Maybe I'll give an LBG a try on him.

tuffy

Turns out heavy bowgun is also my third used weapon type at 17 usages. But my weapon usage is rather lopsided.
I will have to make a decent one, then. Looks like I'm up for my second encounter with the Lagiacrus. Maybe I'll give an LBG a try on him.
Lagiacrus underwater gave me a very hard time on my first attempt when I was relying on pellet too much, but I did a lot better the second time when I had the Rathian LBG and put a lot of normal 2/normal 3/flame shot into him (and a bit more practice).

tuffy

so is the wii u version out of print now? i cant find a new or used copy anywhere
I don't think it's out of print, though Capcom's sales may have made it hard to find. Still, the eshop is a possibility and I do have a spare physical copy to unload if need be.

GeekyDad

Turns out heavy bowgun is also my third used weapon type at 17 usages. But my weapon usage is rather lopsided.

Ha, ha! Wow.

So, how does that work exactly in terms of it counting your usage? Every time you take the weapon on a hunt? Every time you unsheath it? Attack with it?

Lagiacrus underwater gave me a very hard time on my first attempt when I was relying on pellet too much, but I did a lot better the second time when I had the Rathian LBG and put a lot of normal 2/normal 3/flame shot into him (and a bit more practice).

Yeah, the way the Normal ammo seems to explode at a certain point (or whatever it is it's doing) really seems to work especially well underwater. Since I've been hunting a lot of Rathians, I'll have to check and see if I can forge an HBG from its materials. I'm assuming that's a good path. Either way, the Fire shots should prove especially useful against Lagiacrus. Kind of a newb question, but do the Fire shots work underwater?

tuffy

Ha, ha! Wow.

So, how does that work exactly in terms of it counting your usage? Every time you take the weapon on a hunt? Every time you unsheath it? Attack with it?
That's counting all the times you go on a hunt or go into the Moga Woods with a given weapon type, but not counting abandoned hunts, as far as I know. It's also counting harvest tours which throws the count off a little.
Yeah, the way the Normal ammo seems to explode at a certain point (or whatever it is it's doing) really seems to work especially well underwater. Since I've been hunting a lot of Rathians, I'll have to check and see if I can forge an HBG from its materials. I'm assuming that's a good path. Either way, the Fire shots should prove especially useful against Lagiacrus. Kind of a newb question, but do the Fire shots work underwater?
The Rathian HBG is one of the best paths for normal shot, and its LBG line is very good too. And yes, fire shots do work just fine underwater. But because all shot ranges are halved, you'll need to swim a lot closer than usual in order for them to connect.

Anteo

Just so you know, according to a couple of friends even if you buy the adapter, you will have a gimped experience. Aparently the 3ds version has no voice chat/messages and there is no way for a wiiu player to know who is playing in a 3ds and cant get messages

GeekyDad

That's counting all the times you go on a hunt or go into the Moga Woods with a given weapon type, but not counting abandoned hunts, as far as I know. It's also counting harvest tours which throws the count off a little.

Well, I've put in 60 hours with this character, and this is all the weapon uses I have so far:

bywT7Bo.jpg

After seeing your guild card, all I can say is, God damn, you've played a lot of Monster Hunter!!

GeekyDad

Well, I ran out of time my first try on the Fell Lagiacrus quest -- that was with my Gobul Shooter (LBG). Went back in with my Qurupeco HH, and in spite of getting thrown around a good bit and a few close calls, I downed him pretty quickly. Trusty horn. Tried out a new HBG. Not really feeling the siege mode. It works great for what it is, but it doesn't work great for me. I hate being in one place and lumbering so slowly. Doubt I'll be doing much HBG, at least at this time. Love the LBG. Might not pack as much punch, but love that mobility.

Chuckpebble

I'm really enjoying the awakening skill in this game as opposed to Tri. So far I've found two weapons that actually net a pretty significant amount of dragon element through awakening.
Blade of Tartarus Great Sword and Stygian Avaritia Gunlance
In Tri there always seemed to be a more powerful option that didn't require awakening.

Chaos

Well, I ran out of time my first try on the Fell Lagiacrus quest -- that was with my Gobul Shooter (LBG).

I think it was the Gobul Shooter I used to fight him, I knew it was going to be tough so I ate some milk/meat for sharpshooter, used wroggi armour for normal up ( Think I had upgraded the defence of it a few times to) , took mats for a trap.

Chaos

HIttin' a brick wall with that Duramboros. That's twice I've run out of time. Gotta reevaluate.

Yeah he took me an age to kill due to his health, I think his weak points are his humps and tail.

I think even though it says kill you can capture him to complete quest, you can use perception gems +10 for capture guru so that it shows you when he is able to be captured.

Insaniac

I'm really enjoying the awakening skill in this game as opposed to Tri. So far I've found two weapons that actually net a pretty significant amount of dragon element through awakening.
Blade of Tartarus Great Sword and Stygian Avaritia Gunlance
In Tri there always seemed to be a more powerful option that didn't require awakening.

Grongigas Hammer, 1508 Raw, +25 defense, -15% affinity, 400 Slime awaken

tuffy

Well, I ran out of time my first try on the Fell Lagiacrus quest -- that was with my Gobul Shooter (LBG). Went back in with my Qurupeco HH, and in spite of getting thrown around a good bit and a few close calls, I downed him pretty quickly. Trusty horn. Tried out a new HBG. Not really feeling the siege mode. It works great for what it is, but it doesn't work great for me. I hate being in one place and lumbering so slowly. Doubt I'll be doing much HBG, at least at this time. Love the LBG. Might not pack as much punch, but love that mobility.
If it's any consolation, I had almost the exact same experience when I tried gunning Lagiacrus underwater the first time. The only difference is that I carted for the third time with a couple of minutes to spare. But when I tried again with a little better weapon and a bit more experience, it went a whole lot easier.

I also wound up opting for LBG over HBG over its increased mobility, faster unsheathe/sheathe speeds and rapid fire. But lately I noticed I'd accumulated a lot of sets with Evade Extender. So since I was using that to get around a lot of the time already, I figured it was worth giving HBGs another try. Though after doing some back-to-back LBG/HBG hunts and checking the "Quest Info" clock, I haven't gotten much of an improvement in hunt times yet.

GeekyDad

Yeah he took me an age to kill due to his health, I think his weak points are his humps and tail.

I think even though it says kill you can capture him to complete quest, you can use perception gems +10 for capture guru so that it shows you when he is able to be captured.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think perhaps that's what the game wanted me to do all along. They give you a free pitfall trap for the quest. Doh! Think I will try that.

upandaway

Yeah, I'm beginning to think perhaps that's what the game wanted me to do all along. They give you a free pitfall trap for the quest. Doh! Think I will try that.
They give you a pitfall because it helps you reach his weak point and hit there (the hump), and because he has so much health.
If you want his parts, you're better off killing him, but there's not much you can do with them honestly. Catching him should be ok.

tuffy

I'll add that the Valkyrie Fire LBG shoots flame and poison shots, which are two of Duramboros' least favorite things.

Insaniac

if you get decent at it, you can get to his legs while he spins and hit them enough and he will trip. This will give you access to hit his hump. The game also gives you sleep knives in the box, use them and then bomb his face!

GeekyDad

I'll add that the Valkyrie Fire LBG shoots flame and poison shots, which are two of Duramboros' least favorite things.

Very nice. Will check that out. Thanks.

if you get decent at it, you can get to his legs while he spins and hit them enough and he will trip. This will give you access to hit his hump. The game also gives you sleep knives in the box, use them and then bomb his face!

Ah. I did notice at one point in this last fight, while he was down, I was able to rupture those lumps at one point. I'm guessing that weakens him. Gonna try and take out that damned tail this time too. Sick of that thing!

tuffy

Ah. I did notice at one point in this last fight, while he was down, I was able to rupture those lumps at one point. I'm guessing that weakens him. Gonna try and take out that damned tail this time too. Sick of that thing!
His tail also takes huge shot damage, which is convenient since he spends half the time trying to hit you with it. And its outer casing can be blasted off which is very satisfying (and provides an extra carve).

Gah I want to play this so badly. I got the 3DS version for Christmas, along with a CPP, but my 3DS is now in for repairs. And I also have a new copy of The World Ends With You. And The Wonderful 101. And Bravely Default comes out in a few weeks. And I'm dying to replay Chrono Trigger.

WHAT TO DO. I feel like this is a game I shouldn't start up until the rest of my gaming schedule is cleared because of how dense it apparently is. Seems like I'll need to devote a lot of time and energy into it.

Also I hate time limits in games, so it sucks that apparently there is a 50 minute limit in all the quests. Urgh

Insaniac

Gah I want to play this so badly. I got the 3DS version for Christmas, along with a CPP, but my 3DS is now in for repairs. And I also have a new copy of The World Ends With You. And The Wonderful 101. And Bravely Default comes out in a few weeks. And I'm dying to replay Chrono Trigger.

WHAT TO DO. I feel like this is a game I shouldn't start up until the rest of my gaming schedule is cleared because of how dense it apparently is. Seems like I'll need to devote a lot of time and energy into it.

Also I hate time limits in games, so it sucks that apparently there is a 50 minute limit in all the quests. Urgh

If you're completely new to the game, maybe, MAYBE the 50 minute time limit may be a factor, but it rarely ever is. Only maybe if you solo a GRank event quest with a bow...

tuffy

This usually isn't an issue in practice; I don't recall ever failing a quest by running out of time. Bumping up against the limit is often a sign that either you need to try a different weapon (perhaps one that exploits the monster's weaknesses better), or you need more practice using it most effectively.

upandaway

This worried me when I started too so I'll address this. I'll try to find a convincing argument even for someone who hasn't played the game yet.

Time limits freeze me completely (couldn't handle Pikmin and Majora's Mask), so I know saying things like "it's an easy time limit to hit" won't help, but it's different in MH. In other games, the time limits have the purpose of making the player act faster, pretty much rushing him, but the purpose of the time limit in MH is functionally the same as the limit of 10 potions per quest, or the limit of an HP bar etc, i.e. the player should hit more and get hit less. That's all it is, and as long as focus on those two things by utilizing other aspects of the game, the time limit did its job and disappears.

Let's say you kill a monster while using 4 potions. I'll be able to say 100% certain that you did it within the time limit. Conversely, if you haven't killed the monster yet but have already used all 10 potions, it's likely that you're close to hitting the time limit too. If you're fine with limited health in games as a concept, you're fine with the time limit in MH. If that still doesn't convince you, you can just play while ignoring the time limit and focusing on the limit of health, I guarantee you won't notice a difference.

edit: Forgot to say the most important thing, if that's true and the time limit is balanced to the health limit, why does the time limit exist in the first place
Because it's possible to stay inside the quest but be in a different area from the monster, it could be possible to play in a way completely different from how the game was designed (as in, a snipe/crawl playstyle), so there was an added effect that if you leave a monster alone too long, it can recharge its health back. The time limit is the offset to this, so the player won't continue with the quest forever.

ohkay

I feel running out of time tells you that your strategy isn't working, or your gear isn't up to par. I've only ran out of time once so far (against Lagiacrus), but I knew I didn't kill him in time because if what I was doing. I was focusing too much on dodging instead of using every opening I had to attack. I changed that the next time and killed him well within the time limit (I think it was around 25 mins). It forces you to improve, even though it might be frustrating.

Vire

I have to agree the time limit is necessary it prevents you from completely avoiding the monster when they are enraged and only fighting them when they are exhausted. You could also just run away and gather herbs and blue mushrooms indefinitely and out last a monster.

Duramboros is a big sack of HP so I understand why this guy can be frustrating, however if you are using the correct weapons you should be able to solo him well under the time limit. Hitting his hump and tripping him by hitting his legs while spinning will make the fight go way faster don't forget bombs can be very helpful as well.

Wiseblade

Man, High Rank is brutal. It feels like every monster takes FOREVER to kill alone and can kill in three big hits. Getting caught in a corner or some other compromising position is pretty much a death sentence. You have to squeeze every hit possible and cross your fingers that your roll/dive gets you out of harm's way in time.

upandaway

Man, High Rank is brutal. It feels like every monster takes FOREVER to kill alone and can kill in three big hits. Getting caught in a corner or some other compromising position is pretty much a death sentence. You have to squeeze every hit possible and cross your fingers that your roll/dive gets you out of harm's way in time.
I remember getting to HR and feeling like LR was just the prologue. So many more quests, subspecies, combination quests, all the good stuff. I think like half the monsters, not including subspecies, don't show up before then, and even those that do are the easier half of the game.

The armor I used was...... ....I think it was the LR Diablos set. 3HKOs sounds pretty good, just make sure you're at above half at all times.

Top Bottom