• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

This worried me when I started too so I'll address this. I'll try to find a convincing argument even for someone who hasn't played the game yet.

Time limits freeze me completely (couldn't handle Pikmin and Majora's Mask), so I know saying things like "it's an easy time limit to hit" won't help, but it's different in MH. In other games, the time limits have the purpose of making the player act faster, pretty much rushing him, but the purpose of the time limit in MH is functionally the same as the limit of 10 potions per quest, or the limit of an HP bar etc, i.e. the player should hit more and get hit less. That's all it is, and as long as focus on those two things by utilizing other aspects of the game, the time limit did its job and disappears.

Let's say you kill a monster while using 4 potions. I'll be able to say 100% certain that you did it within the time limit. Conversely, if you haven't killed the monster yet but have already used all 10 potions, it's likely that you're close to hitting the time limit too. If you're fine with limited health in games as a concept, you're fine with the time limit in MH. If that still doesn't convince you, you can just play while ignoring the time limit and focusing on the limit of health, I guarantee you won't notice a difference.

edit: Forgot to say the most important thing, if that's true and the time limit is balanced to the health limit, why does the time limit exist in the first place
Because it's possible to stay inside the quest but be in a different area from the monster, it could be possible to play in a way completely different from how the game was designed (as in, a snipe/crawl playstyle), so there was an added effect that if you leave a monster alone too long, it can recharge its health back. The time limit is the offset to this, so the player won't continue with the quest forever.

Fantastic, this makes me feel a lot better about the mechanic. If the time limit propels the player into a more dynamic and beneficial playstyle as opposed to existing merely as a brain-dead obstacle to artificially inflate difficulty, I should be okay with it.

A question of equal importance though... does the Monster Hunter fiction give a reason for the time-limit existing within the universe? I love me some cohesive mechanics that fit into a game's narrative!

upandaway

You're a hunter doing quests that the guild gave you, so you can take it the same way as to why you can only faint twice in quests. If you faint 3 times or take longer than 50 minutes, the guild decides you're not good enough, or in danger, and takes you away.

Wiseblade

I remember getting to HR and feeling like LR was just the prologue. So many more quests, subspecies, combination quests, all the good stuff. I think like half the monsters, not including subspecies, don't show up before then, and even those that do are the easier half of the game.

The armor I used was...... ....I think it was the LR Diablos set. 3HKOs sounds pretty good, just make sure you're at above half at all times.
Things are better now I have a full set of Ludroth S, but those first few hunts were painful. It still feels like I'm barely hurting enemies, so I'm desperately trying to upgrade all of my weapons.

GeekyDad

You should skip straight to Plan P(oison). It's really good at burning through the Duramboros' disproportionate health.

Probably the most newb thing you've read, but I tried poison bombs on him (ten of them to be precise), and I guess they don't work on big monsters. I ended up using a hammer of all things. I finally beat the dude. Ugh...I was doing nothing but noob moves. I knew what I wanted to do (such as get into his legs and attack while he does his spinning move), but more often than not I'd get knocked back like the scrub that I am. Somehow I still managed to waste him down enough to force a retreat to 10 where I just trapped and tranqed him. I don't think I could muster the will to do a seventh attempt.

What the duramboros battle taught me:

USE THE FUCKING ITEMS YOU'VE BEEN COLLECTING AND HORDING ALL GAME!

Seriously, until now, I've mostly ignored anything but potions and meat. This guy was a wake-up call to be better prepared and make efficient use of all of the tools at my disposal. I still forgot to bring might pills and the like, which I meant to do, but I intend not to let that happen again.

As an aside, another obstacle was managing the camera with the digital d-pad on the 3DS. Since duramboros is so big, it was hard most times to get the camera where I needed it, and the quick-lock-on function isn't ideal for that battle.

Wiseblade

Probably the most newb thing you've read, but I tried poison bombs on him (ten of them to be precise), and I guess they don't work on big monsters. I ended up using a hammer of all things. I finally beat the dude. Ugh...I was doing nothing but noob moves. I knew what I wanted to do (such as get into his legs and attack while he does his spinning move), but more often than not I'd get knocked back like the scrub that I am. Somehow I still managed to waste him down enough to force a retreat to 10 where I just trapped and tranqed him. I don't think I could muster the will to do a seventh attempt.

What the duramboros battle taught me:

USE THE FUCKING ITEMS YOU'VE BEEN COLLECTING AND HORDING ALL GAME!

Seriously, until now, I've mostly ignored anything but potions and meat. This guy was a wake-up call to be better prepared and make efficient use of all of the tools at my disposal. I still forgot to bring might pills and the like, which I meant to do, but I intend not to let that happen again.

As an aside, another obstacle was managing the camera with the digital d-pad on the 3DS. Since duramboros is so big, it was hard most times to get the camera where I needed it, and the quick-lock-on function isn't ideal for that battle.
I learned the same thing from my encounters with Duramboros taught me the same thing. That, and properly researching how to fight a monster at the first sign of trouble.

Insaniac

How is it in a G-rank Zinogre farm game with 100+HR guys I'm still the only one who brings flash bombs and pitfalls, srsly.

At least I got 6 skymeralds out of it.

Full Zin Armor, Top Zin Bow and Top Zin Gunlance... nom nom

Chuckpebble

I love poking Ceadeus in the face with a Grank dragon gunlance so that he high tails it to area 3 before the timer even moves. Suddenly not hating that fight so much anymore.

ohkay

For those of you who don't use a cutting weapon as your main, what do you switch to when you need to get a tail? I'm mainly a bow user and cutting tails with arrows doesn't seem to work that well.

tuffy

For those of you who don't use a cutting weapon as your main, what do you switch to when you need to get a tail? I'm mainly a bow user and cutting tails with arrows doesn't seem to work that well.
Most tails can also show up in capture rewards so I've done a lot of that when necessary. But for those that absolutely, positively need to be carved (like the Zinogres), I've tried both Sword & Shield and Long Sword since their basics are pretty easy to grasp.

I'm hilariously sloppy and the hunts take a lot longer than usual, but I do manage to get the tails off eventually.

depward

I've only put in 200+ hours in 3U... but am now just realizing how awesome gunning is. I used the bow fairly consistently in MHFU but never a LBG or a HBG.

Now? I bowgun all the things.

That's what I love about Monster Hunter: different weapon types keeps the game so incredibly fresh and interesting. It's amazing that I'm a huge hammer user and can't use dual blades to save my life... yet there are people out there who are the exact opposite. Wild.

Wiseblade

I've only put in 200+ hours in 3U... but am now just realizing how awesome gunning is. I used the bow fairly consistently in MHFU but never a LBG or a HBG.

Now? I bowgun all the things.

That's what I love about Monster Hunter: different weapon types keeps the game so incredibly fresh and interesting. It's amazing that I'm a huge hammer user and can't use dual blades to save my life... yet there are people out there who are the exact opposite. Wild.
Hey, that's me!

Although I've yet to even try the hammer...

upandaway

Solo Double Trouble with a Hammer (both raths in the same area) is the purest form of MH fun for me. It feels so good. Raths and Lagi are the most fun monsters to knock out.

I've played quite a bit with all weapons except for the bow, HBG and HH. I've given up on the bow completely, HBG looks like incredible fun but requires a lot of prep, and I'll look at the HH for the next MH.

GeekyDad

I never really see it discussed, but the dialogue in this game is really charming. Some of the things the chief and Junior say are cliched to the point of cheese, but the Shakalakas are hilarious. I suppose a lot of veteran players don't bother at all with the Moga story; not sure how that works. But I'm really enjoying it. Lots of humorous stuff there.

also

Banned
I never really see it discussed, but the dialogue in this game is really charming. Some of the things the chief and Junior say are cliched to the point of cheese, but the Shakalakas are hilarious. I suppose a lot of veteran players don't bother at all with the Moga story; not sure how that works. But I'm really enjoying it. Lots of humorous stuff there.

That's because the text in the 3DS version is painful to read. I occasionally skim through it but most of the time I don't bother. I did notice some funny quest names like ''Brachydios Mio!'', though.
The Shakalaka kids seem to be programmed to only speak the second before you change areas so I rarely even have the time to read what they say.

Anura

Argosy trade captain is the best character in 3U

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Argosy trade captain is the best character in 3U

Uhh you mean Guild Waifu.
zWVbK.gif

NPD:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 93K (Wii U)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 224K (3DS)

We did it! Fantastic sales! And that's not including digital!

C'mon, Capcom, give us Monster Hunter 4! 3DS is much healthier than before, plus MH4 3DS has online mode, a lot more people will buy the handheld version this time.

I'm so happy! Tomorrow is MH3U time! Gotta get all Gold Crowns. <3

NPD:

Is it just December 2013 or the whole year?
It seems there are more people online since Christmas, but somehow the G Rank server is much less active than it used to be. Now it can barely reach 200.

Is it just December 2013 or the whole year?
It seems there are more people online since Christmas, but somehow the G Rank server is much less active than it used to be. Now it can barely reach 200.
Whole year.

And yeah G Rank is less active now, but that's because most of them moved to Open.

depward

Dapples.

All I needed was one lucent narg dapple to complete my Eclipse HBG that I'll be using exclusively for pierce bowgunning.

Several lucents later, I FINALLY get ONE DAPPLE... after also getting two cloudy moonshards.

The desire sensor works in mysterious ways...

Insaniac

Dapples.

All I needed was one lucent narg dapple to complete my Eclipse HBG that I'll be using exclusively for pierce bowgunning.

Several lucents later, I FINALLY get ONE DAPPLE... after also getting two cloudy moonshards.

The desire sensor works in mysterious ways...

Indeed it does. I got 6 skymeralds from 5 zins (one from a tail carve >.>) before I got one jasper i needed.

3 uragaan palliums in one quest when all I really needed were some scutes lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
317k is probably around half of Tri's US LTD, not too bad but I don't think it'll have legs like Tri either - especially if 4 is released this year (which it BETTER be.)

Insaniac

Yeah, my 3DS version is digital and I'm starting to wish my Wii U version wss too.

I originally went with physical cause I had gift cards, but when my cousin got a wii U i told him to download MH when it was like 20 bucks on sale on the e-shop. I just ended up downloading the digital version and gave him my physical copy. It was worth it though cause I play MH all the time

GeekyDad

317k is probably around half of Tri's US LTD, not too bad but I don't think it'll have legs like Tri either - especially if 4 is released this year (which it BETTER be.)

That seems like wishful thinking. I'll settle for a confirmation this year that it's going to eventually be released in the States.

NPD:

At first glance these numbers don't seem all that great to me, but I have no basis of comparison with previous iterations in the series. Are these sales results higher than expected?

In other news, my 3DS XL is currently being sent back to me from the ol' repair shop. UPS tracker says it should arrive on Tuesday.

I'm still torn on weather I should start this or The World Ends With You first. Both games seem like they'll require a heft amount of investment, so I don't want to bounce back and forth between the two.

Though I have a feeling I know which game you all would recommend starting with :p

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
At first glance these numbers don't seem all that great to me, but I have no basis of comparison with previous iterations in the series. Are these sales results higher than expected?

In other news, my 3DS XL is currently being sent back to me from the ol' repair shop. UPS tracker says it should arrive on Tuesday.

I'm still torn on weather I should start this or The World Ends With You first. Both games seem like they'll require a heft amount of investment, so I don't want to bounce back and forth between the two.

Though I have a feeling I know which game you all would recommend starting with :p
TWEWY first because you'll never come back once you dig into MonHun.

TWEWY first because you'll never come back once you dig into MonHun.
Haha, you think so? I've read about some GAFfers sinking 100+ hours into TWEWY, and I can't imagine me putting more than that into Monster Hunter. Though I AM feeling pretty prepared for my Monster Hunter journey. I've played the demo, read through a lot of this thread, and watched those ProJared gameplay tutorial videos. I think all of that will help me get over the initial learning curve. I'M READY TO SLAY SOME BEASTS WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!

I think I'll just do it like this... whichever game gets recommended to me three times first will be the one I start up come Tuesday. TWEWY in the lead by one! :p

Anura

Haha, you think so? I've read about some GAFfers sinking 100+ hours into TWEWY, and I can't imagine me putting more than that into Monster Hunter. Though I AM feeling pretty prepared for my Monster Hunter journey. I've played the demo, read through a lot of this thread, and watched those ProJared gameplay tutorial videos. I think all of that will help me get over the initial learning curve. I'M READY TO SLAY SOME BEASTS WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!

I think I'll just do it like this... whichever game gets recommended to me three times first will be the one I start up come Tuesday. TWEWY in the lead by one! :p

TWEWY takes 15 hours at most to beat and only takes around 100 if you go for 100% completion/multiple playthroughs. MH takes 70 hours to beat if you know what you're doing and you could spend 1000+ hours and still not 100%

ohkay

Beating TWEWY took less time for me than what it took to finish the low rank offline quests in Monster Hunter.

By the way, for those who own the digital Wii U version, don't you feel loading times are better? When running across multiple areas at the beginning of the quest alongside other players, I often distance them, which I suspect is the result of a shorter area loading time.

udivision

Just got the Volvidon armour, looks pretty cool :)

Volvidon is my most used armor so far, having both a low-rank and high rank set. Gemmed it for Attack (L) and Evasion +2 (depending on the weaopn).

Honestly, I never knew how big of a deal having the Evasion skill was, but now it has to be my favorite skill in the game. I'd almost so it was a little cheap, but timing the rolls is still key.

Man, High Rank is brutal. It feels like every monster takes FOREVER to kill alone and can kill in three big hits. Getting caught in a corner or some other compromising position is pretty much a death sentence. You have to squeeze every hit possible and cross your fingers that your roll/dive gets you out of harm's way in time.

bro, EVASION +2!!

Anura

So can that be 3 for TWEWY?
Yup I would certainly recommend playing TWEWY first

I got physical because I love the boxart.
The funny thing is that it is the first time the hunter is facing away from the monster and completely not caring. He is just like "hold on a minute Rathalos I will murder you soon just let me pose like a badass for a bit." Although the JPN box art is pretty meh because if how unphotogenic Brachy is and the color scheme so I will let the breaking of a series tradition slide

Top Bottom