• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

SuperSah

Banned
The funny thing is that it is the first time the hunter is facing away from the monster and completely not caring. He is just like "hold on a minute Rathalos I will murder you soon just let me pose like a badass for a bit." Although the JPN box art is pretty meh because if how unphotogenic Brachy is and the color scheme so I will let the breaking of a series tradition slide

I hate the generic "looking away towards the flagship beast" they tended to do, so this is a nicer approach. Using Azure Rath. was nifty too due to its nice colours.

The back of the box is pretty "meh" though, with the Plesi and non-representative screens. :p

Anyways, still trucking along on 3DS after a few hundred hours.

TWEWY it is. MAN, I want to play Monster Hunter so badly though :p

Patience seems to be a virtue in the game anyway, so I'll consider this preliminary training

Thanks for the input!

Anura

TWEWY it is. MAN, I want to play Monster Hunter so badly though :p

Patience seems to be a virtue in the game anyway, so I'll consider this preliminary training

Thanks for the input!
Don't worry both games are good so it should be worth it to give each game the time they deserve

Aiustis

By the way, for those who own the digital Wii U version, don't you feel loading times are better? When running across multiple areas at the beginning of the quest alongside other players, I often distance them, which I suspect is the result of a shorter area loading time.

Yeah feels like it.

I transferred my game back to my 3ds haven't played in nearly a month. Hoping I can get a coworker to play with me after work. I'm so rusty.

Chuckpebble

So I really love Kiranico.com but I'm a tad confused by the Goldbeard Ceadeus page. I'm after G. Ceadeus Fur and I see it's a reward only item with a 67% chance of getting one for wounding the chest. The damage chart breaks it down as beard, breast and belly. As far as I know, the beard is the only one of those 3 that shows physical damage. So am I to take chest as meaning beard? I've had two runs, back to back with a shaved beard and no fur. That's just bad luck, right?

GeekyDad

So I really love Kiranico.com but I'm a tad confused by the Goldbeard Ceadeus page. I'm after G. Ceadeus Fur and I see it's a reward only item with a 67% chance of getting one for wounding the chest. The damage chart breaks it down as beard, breast and belly. As far as I know, the beard is the only one of those 3 that shows physical damage. So am I to take chest as meaning beard? I've had two runs, back to back with a shaved beard and no fur. That's just bad luck, right?

The Wikia lists it as a beard-wound reward.

As an aside, I just found a Demon's Isle LBG as a rustshard in Volcano Harvest Tour. Probably no big whoop to anyone, but at my current stage in the game, RF cragshot ain't too shabby. :)

Anura

Sounds like bad luck alright... Fur was always a pain

Doombear

Sounds like bad luck alright... Fur was always a pain

Agreed. Fur is the worst. If you are seeing that beard go poof, then you have a chance. So happy to finally be able to solo that fight if I need to for fur. Well not happy, but... at least it is more interesting now.

Good luck!

tuffy

After doing a bit of experimenting with HBG vs. LBG by hunting some Moga Woods Great Jaggis at night (which should be high rank), I thought the amount of ammo consumed was interesting:

With the Hallowed Dracannon (limiter off), Attack Up (L) and Normal Up for a listed Attack value of 557, it took 25 Normal lv. 2 shots to kill.

With the Diamond Crest, Attack Up (L) and Bonus Shot for a listed attack value of 370 (+20% affinity), it took 17 rapid-fired Normal lv. 2 volleys to kill where each volley shot 5 bullets at a time.

And with the Willuminator, Attack Up (L), Element Atk +1 and Bonus Shot for a listed attack value of 442, it took 13 rapid-fired Flame volleys to kill where each volley shot 4 bullets at a time.

So it seems that for solo runs where ammo is a concern, hitting an elemental weakness with rapid-fire is preferable to rapid-firing normal shot which is preferable to heavy bowgunning normal shot. I hadn't expected that given the Dracannon's massive attack advantage over its light bowgun counterparts.

Anura

After doing a bit of experimenting with HBG vs. LBG by hunting some Moga Woods Great Jaggis at night (which should be high rank), I thought the amount of ammo consumed was interesting:

With the Hallowed Dracannon (limiter off), Attack Up (L) and Normal Up for a listed Attack value of 557, it took 25 Normal lv. 2 shots to kill.

With the Diamond Crest, Attack Up (L) and Bonus Shot for a listed attack value of 370 (+20% affinity), it took 17 rapid-fired Normal lv. 2 volleys to kill where each volley shot 5 bullets at a time.

And with the Willuminator, Attack Up (L), Element Atk +1 and Bonus Shot for a listed attack value of 442, it took 13 rapid-fired Flame volleys to kill where each volley shot 4 bullets at a time.

So it seems that for solo runs where ammo is a concern, hitting an elemental weakness with rapid-fire is preferable to rapid-firing normal shot which is preferable to heavy bowgunning normal shot. I hadn't expected that given the Dracannon's massive attack advantage over its light bowgun counterparts.

I kinda expected that actually. Ala HBG tears through your ammo so much faster than a RFing LBG

Manbig

Hello people. So I've been playing with a group of buddies on the 3DS version for a while and recently got me a Wii U along with this game. So now I'm running around online every once in a while. Are you peeps still active in this game?

Insaniac

Hello people. So I've been playing with a group of buddies on the 3DS version for a while and recently got me a Wii U along with this game. So now I'm running around online every once in a while. Are you peeps still active in this game?

I just played 9 hours tonight...

Chaos

As an aside, I just found a Demon's Isle LBG as a rustshard in Volcano Harvest Tour. Probably no big whoop to anyone, but at my current stage in the game, RF cragshot ain't too shabby. :)

That sounds fun :)

I keep switching from lbg to hbg, not sure which I prefer.

GeekyDad

That sounds fun :)

I keep switching from lbg to hbg, not sure which I prefer.

Same here. Just the other day I was saying I wasn't used to the lumbering feel of the HBG, but then out of necessity I used it and have mostly been using it since. The power is great, and I have pretty good luck poisoning monsters quickly with it.

Manbig

Good to know that there's still active people here. I'm about to hit up online right now and work towards crafting a gunner Miralis set. I already have the Miralis parts and the Diablos Hardhorn. Just need the A/P Rath Cortex, Brachy Pallium, and the Lrg Wyvern Stones. If anyone wants in, feel free to hit me up in here.

GeekyDad

Man, them Shakalakas are adorable, but sometimes they're dumber than hell. I'll be aiming down sights of my bowgun, and there's Cha-cha dancing right in front of my sights, smack-dab in the way of my shots.

So after a lot of starts and stop with previous versions of the game, I picked up the WiiU version of MH3U last week and I think it finally has its claws in me, so to speak. I'm only about 12 hours in but the game is seeming less overwhelming and it's crazy addictive. I had to force myself to stop just now because I have work to do, but all I keep thinking about is playing it.

Manbig

So after a lot of starts and stop with previous versions of the game, I picked up the WiiU version of MH3U last week and I think it finally has its claws in me, so to speak. I'm only about 12 hours in but the game is seeming less overwhelming and it's crazy addictive. I had to force myself to stop just now because I have work to do, but all I keep thinking about is playing it.

Same thing happened for me here. I think it's because they toned down the enemy health significantly in this game. I recall hearing that was the case at least, but I also recall trying to duo on Monster Hunter Tri with a friend and nearly every boss fight was this crazy war of attrition that was just too much for me considering the item grind.

If you guys have attempted the DLC Super Brachydios, this is a great montage: Clashing Beats

1390163592-mh3u-clashing-beats-lol.jpg

:lol

Anura

Same thing happened for me here. I think it's because they toned down the enemy health significantly in this game. I recall hearing that was the case at least, but I also recall trying to duo on Monster Hunter Tri with a friend and nearly every boss fight was this crazy war of attrition that was just too much for me considering the item grind.
For online in Tri monster where balanced around having 4 people and thus had a much higher HP modifier. In MH3U, MHFU and MHP3rd monsters are balanced with around two people in mind. That makes it a nice middle ground for both soloing and multiplayer even if it is a tad too easy with 4

tuffy

Man, them Shakalakas are adorable, but sometimes they're dumber than hell. I'll be aiming down sights of my bowgun, and there's Cha-cha dancing right in front of my sights, smack-dab in the way of my shots.
The nice thing about the Shakalakas is that they never get mad if you shoot through them, unlike human players. They're pretty good monster distractions too.

SuperSah

Banned
Was playing earlier and put down the 3DS for a drink and came back and looked at it from a standpoint.

Kind of hit me how cool it is to play MH3U on a portable.

Just those little things.

Manbig

So whatever happened to that app for the 3DS version that's supposed to let it go online when connected to the Wii U version?

Remfin

So whatever happened to that app for the 3DS version that's supposed to let it go online when connected to the Wii U version?
It's an app on the Wii U (aka it can't be running the game or anything else) that proxies the 3DS version online

Manbig

It's an app on the Wii U (aka it can't be running the game or anything else) that proxies the 3DS version online

Well that seems incredibly stupid and pointless. Ah, well. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Actually, does this mean that someone that owns the 3DS version and a Wii U, but NOT the Wii U version of the game can go online? That's the only way that this thing would seem useful to me.

Insaniac

Well that seems incredibly stupid and pointless. Ah, well. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Actually, does this mean that someone that owns the 3DS version and a Wii U, but NOT the Wii U version of the game can go online? That's the only way that this thing would seem useful to me.

yes. but you need a LAN adaptor too, so IMo if you have the wii u you're better off just buying the HD version for HD clarity, full online functionality and gamepad/wii u pro controller functionality etc

Manbig

yes. but you need a LAN adaptor too, so IMo if you have the wii u you're better off just buying the HD version for HD clarity, full online functionality and gamepad/wii u pro controller functionality etc

Yeah I just tested it with my friend. It's actually very useful. He bought me the Wii U version last month and I gave him my 3DS cart. He doesn't own a Wii U yet though, so he will be sure to make full use of this when he gets it.

GeekyDad

The nice thing about the Shakalakas is that they never get mad if you shoot through them, unlike human players. They're pretty good monster distractions too.

Yeah, overall they've been a godsend to my single-player experience. I don't think I could have gotten half the hits/shots in had they not been around to distract the monsters. Just took on Diablos, and he's so big and so fast at certain points, I was very lucky to have them drawing his attention.

Anura

Yeah, overall they've been a godsend to my single-player experience. I don't think I could have gotten half the hits/shots in had they not been around to distract the monsters. Just took on Diablos, and he's so big and so fast at certain points, I was very lucky to have them drawing his attention.
Yeah without flash bombs for rage mode it's an awful fight and even then you only get to carry 5 without combines.

Anura

Thanks. I'm collecting armor. I have 3 pieces of the two Helios blade sets left to do. Each one requires 5 furs. I've gotten the solo fight done in as little as 14 minutes, but man, 1 fur per hunt is just breaking my soul.
It is a huge pain but the armor is totally worth it

Top Bottom