• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

GeekyDad

They kinda give you a stupid amount of content in this game. I just complete my first few HR Village quests, and I feel like I just started a new MH game. Still wish 3DS had native online co-op, but I definitely got my money's worth regardless. And man, Misty Peaks is beautiful. Area 1 looks like a water-colored painting when you first enter the area. Bummed out over bumblepumpkins, though. No friggin' way I'm farmin' 22 of those things. Forget that shit!

tuffy

Bummed out over bumblepumpkins, though. No friggin' way I'm farmin' 22 of those things. Forget that shit!
As long as you keep farming some of the tougher monsters that pop up in the Moga Woods night forecast, you're bound to collect enough high star commodities to trade for bumblepumpkins over time. It's not only good practice, but because there's no limits on time or carting, it's also risk-free.

upandaway

As long as you keep farming some of the tougher monsters that pop up in the Moga Woods night forecast, you're bound to collect enough high star commodities to trade for bumblepumpkins over time. It's not only good practice, but because there's no limits on time or carting, it's also risk-free.
I have 22 items to trade for pumpkins, but when I got that far I already didn't want the armor haha (if I used a bow I could've used them for that). I guess I could use them to get the decoration achievements.. it was so much work, too, because I reset for the rare trades.

tuffy

I have 22 items to trade for pumpkins, but when I got that far I already didn't want the armor haha (if I used a bow I could've used them for that). I guess I could use them to get the decoration achievements.. it was so much work, too, because I reset for the rare trades.
Though I never reset for the rare trades, I did gear up with Capture Master in hopes of getting the best rewards. And in the end I wound up trading a bunch of Worldeater Bellies for all the furniture items just to fill that slot on my guild card.

GeekyDad

Good point.

tuffy

Anyone up for hunting an endless stream of HR Barioths later today? I NEED AMBER TUSKS
I can be around in the evening (CST) to deliver an endless stream of flame shots to the face. That usually does the trick.
Fuck Black Diablos.

Crazy thing.
Those launches out of the ground are my least favorite thing in the world. Even with 150 health, fully upgraded gunner armor and eating for defense, it's still a one-shot cart if Felyne Defender doesn't kick in.

Wiseblade

I can be around in the evening (CST) to deliver an endless stream of flame shots to the face. That usually does the trick.
Thanks. Somehow, I went from needing two to upgrade my Ide DB to deciding I want Barioth S (?) Armour and a HR Ice Lance.

My local multiplayer friends hit HR3, so now our play sessions will be mutually beneficial again.

Insaniac

Those launches out of the ground are my least favorite thing in the world. Even with 150 health, fully upgraded gunner armor and eating for defense, it's still a one-shot cart if Felyne Defender doesn't kick in.

since you bowgun, like, a lot here's a question I have

I've read that Flame S damage is directly calculated by the BG raw damage. So does this mean fire attack+2 will apply a 20% damage bonus to the whole damage? If so this is a pretty big boost is it not?
bonus question: if I have adrenaline+2 will the attack boost be factored into my raw damage and thus boost my Flame S?

tuffy

since you bowgun, like, a lot here's a question I have

I've read that Flame S damage is directly calculated by the BG raw damage. So does this mean fire attack+2 will apply a 20% damage bonus to the whole damage? If so this is a pretty big boost is it not?
bonus question: if I have adrenaline+2 will the attack boost be factored into my raw damage and thus boost my Flame S?
The (Element) Atk Up +2 skills do add a 20% boost to damage, which is especially potent when combined with Bonus Shot which adds another shot to each rapid fire volley. One goes from 210% damage per shot to 336% if all of them connect (and I'm doing my math right).

And Adrenaline +2 does stack with them as far as I know, but running at less than 40% health in gunner armor makes me nervous so I've never tried it personally.

Insaniac

The (Element) Atk Up +2 skills do add a 20% boost to damage, which is especially potent when combined with Bonus Shot which adds another shot to each rapid fire volley. One goes from 210% damage per shot to 336% if all of them connect (and I'm doing my math right).

And Adrenaline +2 does stack with them as far as I know, but running at less than 40% health in gunner armor makes me nervous so I've never tried it personally.

Cool, I was going to try a new armor set (pink rathian) with my pico peco HBG, add load up, remove limiter and throw a shield on it (to keep me safe at adrenaline levels)

tuffy

Cool, I was going to try a new armor set (pink rathian) with my pico peco HBG, add load up, remove limiter and throw a shield on it (to keep me safe at adrenaline levels)
Full strength HBG shot combined with (Element) Up and Adrenaline should be a potent combination per hit so long as the ammo (and combines) hold out. I'm curious how it'll work out in practice.

Insaniac

Full strength HBG shot combined with (Element) Up and Adrenaline should be a potent combination per hit so long as the ammo (and combines) hold out. I'm curious how it'll work out in practice.

Yep. I'l bring combines but it sucks that flame S only get 1 per combo whereas thunder S you can get 1-3

tuffy

Yep. I'l bring combines but it sucks that flame S only get 1 per combo whereas thunder S you can get 1-3
I think thunder S is 2-4, but the difference is that you can carry up to 20 Fire Herbs but only 10 Flashbugs. Not to mention base combination success rate for flame S is better.

That said, the limited amount of ammo and combines is often why elemental LBGing tends to be more popular than HBGing since rapid fire can multiply those shots whereas anyone can take a great big pile of Huskeberries and Needleberries to put out hundreds of normal 2.

Insaniac

I think thunder S is 2-4, but the difference is that you can carry up to 20 Fire Herbs but only 10 Flashbugs. Not to mention base combination success rate for flame S is better.

That said, the limited amount of ammo and combines is often why elemental LBGing tends to be more popular than HBGing since rapid fire can multiply those shots whereas anyone can take a great big pile of Huskeberries and Needleberries to put out hundreds of normal 2.

yeah i may give this set a run with a LBG, which do you prefer for FlameS rapid fire?

tuffy

yeah i may give this set a run with a LBG, which do you prefer for FlameS rapid fire?
The Willuminator is the best FlameS (and DragonS) weapon since its Attack score is so high and elemental shots aren't affected by its big negative affinity. But the Rathalos LBG line also works fine, and rapid-firing Crag 1 is a lot of fun.

It's worth mentioning that a full set of Rathalos X offers Attack Up (M, 18 points), Fire Atk +1 and Bonus Shot in one convenient, flame-resistant package.

ohkay

Out of curiosity, what weapons do you guys mainly use?

I started with the bow and did all of the low rank village quests with it, but I recently switched to hammer and it's become my new favorite weapon. It hits like a truck and my kill times have dropped pretty significantly since I switched.

upandaway

I started with the bow and did all of the low rank village quests with it, but I recently switched to hammer and it's become my new favorite weapon. It hits like a truck and my kill times have dropped pretty significantly since I switched.
I've seen the bow with some of the fastest times when used properly, it's just so hard to use. The key is really the distance control, most of the DPS is in a very thin zone.

The complete opposite of something like the Gunlance, where high and low skill performance don't have that huge of a DPS difference, the difference is more in how much they you get hit (and how much you blow others away online, haha)

Anura

I use everything although I didn't do much SA this file and I rarely use HH but every other weapon is at at least 100 uses on my card.

My top three are
1.) Lance
2.) Hammer
3.) Heavy Bowgun

tuffy

I'm still mostly light bowgunning all the things. I've been dabbling with heavy bowgunning recently which is very satisfying, but hasn't been significantly faster in bringing down monsters during my solo test runs. I've also thrown together a set of Hallowed Jhen armor to try out the longsword a little, but I'm still terrible with it.

Insaniac

I use pretty much everything except for GS, SnS and LBG. I've got around 150+ missions for each other weapon.

I used the bow when i started multi so i can't really attest to how well you can do with it in Solo, but I know that its no slouch. However the bow you use and armor skills you have can make a big difference

GeekyDad

I'm still mostly light bowgunning all the things. I've been dabbling with heavy bowgunning recently which is very satisfying, but hasn't been significantly faster in bringing down monsters during my solo test runs. I've also thrown together a set of Hallowed Jhen armor to try out the longsword a little, but I'm still terrible with it.

Now that I'm doing the high-rank Village quests, I've been noticing my ammo gets right down to the nub at the end of some of these hunts. I'm guessing I'll need to start bringing the recipe items to combo ammo. Do you find that that's enough for you when playing solo, and do you bring any combo books along?

tuffy

Now that I'm doing the high-rank Village quests, I've been noticing my ammo gets right down to the nub at the end of some of these hunts. I'm guessing I'll need to start bringing the recipe items to combo ammo. Do you find that that's enough for you when playing solo, and do you bring any combo books along?
For solo hunts in Port, it's not unusual to run out of elemental shots and need to combine for more before falling back to physical shots. Fortunately, most of the materials can either be bought from the item shop (like Huskberries), bought from Granny Go-To in Port (like the various fish), or grown on the farm (like the herbs). According to the big list of item combinations, having combo books 1 through 4 is enough to raise the chances on almost everything interesting to 100%, so I only take those. That leaves about a page of inventory for carves, but that's usually enough for a hunting quest.

GeekyDad

For solo hunts in Port, it's not unusual to run out of elemental shots and need to combine for more before falling back to physical shots. Fortunately, most of the materials can either be bought from the item shop (like Huskberries), bought from Granny Go-To in Port (like the various fish), or grown on the farm (like the herbs). According to the big list of item combinations, having combo books 1 through 4 is enough to raise the chances on almost everything interesting to 100%, so I only take those. That leaves about a page of inventory for carves, but that's usually enough for a hunting quest.

I see. Thanks. Only once so far have I brought the combo books with me on a hunt -- when Duramboros was giving me trouble, so I could successfully combine traps -- but I assumed there would come a time it would become a staple part of the hunting process.

As an aside, I've recently (as in all day today) fallen in love with the long sword. The simplicity of a quick Step Slash (or two) into a sidewards Fade Slash makes building the spirit gauge surprisingly straightforward.

NeOak

So is anyone using the Aluminum case for the 3DS? I got the gunmetal gray one, put it once and then put it back in the box lol.

Manbig

Is it just me, or is the Mohran Allbrace from G Rank Jhen Mohran event quest one of the most obnoxious things to get in the game? Never mind the part where depending on your party makeup, that fight is usually longer than 20 minutes. But then the fucker decides to drop Mohran Brace + instead of the Allbrace more than half of the time!

Wiseblade

Yesterday I finally decided to suck it up and move my Wii U into the living room so I could play locally with my 3DS friends on the gamepad. And it was easily the most fun I've had with the game yet. My friends have worse gear than most people at their rank online, but the ability to communicate and crack jokes without fighting the controls/camera made it so much more enjoyable than working with silent powerhouses.

Anura

Is it just me, or is the Mohran Allbrace from G Rank Jhen Mohran event quest one of the most obnoxious things to get in the game? Never mind the part where depending on your party makeup, that fight is usually longer than 20 minutes. But then the fucker decides to drop Mohran Brace + instead of the Allbrace more than half of the time!

Cloudy moon shards

Highwind

Cloudy moon shards

With moonshards the method I used was to use a sonic bomb when Lucent Narga is in it's pounce stance and pick up the shiny from it. You can get 2 shiny drops per match with it and I managed to get two moonshards (and a few mantles I think) with an hour.

Top Bottom