• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Manbig

Cloudy moon shards

Funny that you bring that up. I now need one to upgrade to an Eclipse Bow. Basically, I crafted the G rank Green Nargacuga armor set, and have fallen in love with it. I've made my new mission crafting a Bow for nearly every situation. I need the Mohran Allbrace for the fully upgraded Worldseer's bow for Dragon damage (Don't wanna deal with grinding Alatreon and don't really like the Stygian Zinogre bow), I need a Brachy Pallium to fully upgrade the Dios bow, and I need a bunch of insects for the Ark Nulo (Y) path.

I figure it's a fun goal to strive for after I already pretty much killed nearly everything with my friends.

I've never played Monster Hunter before(well I played the 3U demo) but with the announcement of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate I was thinking of picking up 3U for Wii U, would anyone be interested in helping a newcomer out if I do pick it up?

upandaway

I've never played Monster Hunter before(well I played the 3U demo) but with the announcement of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate I was thinking of picking up 3U for Wii U, would anyone be interested in helping a newcomer out if I do pick it up?
Online and this thread are both still going strong, you should feel free to get into 3U

Insaniac

welp i'm on the hunt for a rathalos mantle, anyone wanna join me? I'll be in 01 Free A, Lobby 8 room name "Mantle" hunting A. Rathalos

Anura

With moonshards the method I used was to use a sonic bomb when Lucent Narga is in it's pounce stance and pick up the shiny from it. You can get 2 shiny drops per match with it and I managed to get two moonshards (and a few mantles I think) with an hour.

Yeah I do the same plus I usually grab an armor with craving master... Still take forever to get!

Funny that you bring that up. I now need one to upgrade to an Eclipse Bow. Basically, I crafted the G rank Green Nargacuga armor set, and have fallen in love with it. I've made my new mission crafting a Bow for nearly every situation. I need the Mohran Allbrace for the fully upgraded Worldseer's bow for Dragon damage (Don't wanna deal with grinding Alatreon and don't really like the Stygian Zinogre bow), I need a Brachy Pallium to fully upgrade the Dios bow, and I need a bunch of insects for the Ark Nulo (Y) path.

I figure it's a fun goal to strive for after I already pretty much killed nearly everything with my friends.

You really should consider the Ala bow. Power coatings are super important for bows and the World Seer lacks them. Ala bow is also one of the best ways to down I. Lagi fast.

GeekyDad

Man, I dig the utility of the False Felyne mask, but Kayamba is just too unwieldy with that thing. He seems to get sweet satisfaction out of screwing up everyone of my combos. I'm sent flying by him constantly, though the monsters hardly ever touch me. Any chance Cha-cha is better with it?

Manbig

So I just killed two Lucient Nargacugas and got a cloudy moonshard from each fight. Why can't I get this kind of love when I'm fighting G Rank Jhen Mohran? >=(

tuffy

Man, I dig the utility of the False Felyne mask, but Kayamba is just too unwieldy with that thing. He seems to get sweet satisfaction out of screwing up everyone of my combos. I'm sent flying by him constantly, though the monsters hardly ever touch me. Any chance Cha-cha is better with it?
He's not. I use it all the time, but that's only because I hunt everything at range where the incoming bombs don't matter. But I'd recommend something else if you're going to use any of the blademaster type weapons, otherwise the barrage of explosions can get very frustrating.

GeekyDad

He's not. I use it all the time, but that's only because I hunt everything at range where the incoming bombs don't matter. But I'd recommend something else if you're going to use any of the blademaster type weapons, otherwise the barrage of explosions can get very frustrating.

Ah, that makes sense. I will shelve it for now, since the last 20-30 hours I've spent enjoying the long sword and hammer. But it does sound like a good counterpart to bowgunning.

Manbig

You are a bad person

Nice guys finish last. :D

On another note, is there some secret to fighting Alatreon solo? I'm trying to finish him off in the village quest, and he is such a pain in the ass. I either don't get enough damage on him in time when I play as ranged, or he just wrecks me with his attacks when I try to melee him.

Fistwell

On another note, is there some secret to fighting Alatreon solo? I'm trying to finish him off in the village quest, and he is such a pain in the ass. I either don't get enough damage on him in time when I play as ranged, or he just wrecks me with his attacks when I try to melee him.
If he seems to hit you very often when melee-ing him, maybe practice a little more, get more comfortable with his moves. Jump in and bail out before your 3rd cart. I don't think there's any great secret to dealing with him. I believe I had some reasonable success with slime (both myself and the two little farts being set up for it), but that was a long ass time ago. One neat trick is farcaster spamming, to both save up a little bit on healing items (although he's got quite a bit of health, so you dont want to spend too much time sleeping), and I think it brings back both your minions if they were out of the fight. Also, nice quiet time to sharpen and rebuff.

Insaniac

oh god yes, the false felyne mask is awesome when bowing/gunning, the flinches from the bombs are awesome.
Also, Tuffy, I got my Rath Mantle and finished my Azurerath Sunsear LBG and OMG i'm loving the hell out of it.

Ques for you: I am assuming bowgun reload speeds go in this way:
Fast -> below avg. -> avg. -> above avg. -> slow

for some reason below avg. sounds worse than avg. so I caught myself doubting myself because I didn't want my reload speed to be below avg. if it was worse than avg.

tuffy

oh god yes, the false felyne mask is awesome when bowing/gunning, the flinches from the bombs are awesome.
Also, Tuffy, I got my Rath Mantle and finished my Azurerath Sunsear LBG and OMG i'm loving the hell out of it.
Rapid-firing a bunch of flame shot into Barioth's wing thorns never stops being fun.
Ques for you: I am assuming bowgun reload speeds go in this way:
Fast -> below avg. -> avg. -> above avg. -> slow

for some reason below avg. sounds worse than avg. so I caught myself doubting myself because I didn't want my reload speed to be below avg. if it was worse than avg.
That sounds about right. If in doubt, you can always use the comparison page when equipping to see which is better by whether the "reload speed" text is red or green.

In practice, reload speed doesn't seem to matter as much as recoil (for non-rapid fire shots) or deviation. The window between monster attacks needed to reload feels about the same whether it's fast, average or slow.

Insaniac

Rapid-firing a bunch of flame shot into Barioth's wing thorns never stops being fun.

That sounds about right. If in doubt, you can always use the comparison page when equipping to see which is better by whether the "reload speed" text is red or green.

In practice, reload speed doesn't seem to matter as much as recoil (for non-rapid fire shots) or deviation. The window between monster attacks needed to reload feels about the same whether it's fast, average or slow.

I suppose thats true, I had reload+1 on another bowgun set and I didn't notice any difference

Man, since MH4G got announced for the west I'm in the mood to play some MH3U again. It's been months since I last played (and it's still the only WiiU game I own :p). Are GAF hunts still frequent?

ngower

I'm sure this has been asked at some point in this (massive) thread, so burn/impale/hunt-for-loot if old, but with the price drop to $20, I'm thinking of picking up MH3U for the 3DS. In addition to the typical beginner questions (this is hard, what do I do, etc) I have some concerns:

1. I've heard it takes something like 100 hours before this game really gets going. Is that true? If I played for four hours a night, that'd still take a month before the game "gets going." If so, that's a huge turn-off. If untrue, about how much time do I need to invest before things start to click and I understand what's going on/begin to really dive into the game?

2. I understand the major appeal of this game is through multiplayer. I don't know anyone who owns a 3DS in real life, let alone someone who owns MH3U, and the 3DS version has no online mode, so multiplayer is out of the question. Would I still find it enjoyable? Or is it fine on its own?

3. I assume I need a Circle Pad Pro if I grab the game?

Side note, is there a preview/sample/review of the Beginner's Guide (other than the one on their site) from We Love Culty?

Thanks!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm sure this has been asked at some point in this (massive) thread, so burn/impale/hunt-for-loot if old, but with the price drop to $20, I'm thinking of picking up MH3U for the 3DS. In addition to the typical beginner questions (this is hard, what do I do, etc) I have some concerns:

1. I've heard it takes something like 100 hours before this game really gets going. Is that true? If I played for four hours a night, that'd still take a month before the game "gets going." If so, that's a huge turn-off. If untrue, about how much time do I need to invest before things start to click and I understand what's going on/begin to really dive into the game?

2. I understand the major appeal of this game is through multiplayer. I don't know anyone who owns a 3DS in real life, let alone someone who owns MH3U, and the 3DS version has no online mode, so multiplayer is out of the question. Would I still find it enjoyable? Or is it fine on its own?

Side note, is there a preview/sample/review of the Beginner's Guide (other than the one on their site) from We Love Culty?

Thanks!
Nah, the game "gets going" at probably under five hours. Your first two big hunts of things like Great Jaggi and Qurupeco happen pretty early and thats when the game gets engaging. Its just that the game has an increasing set of "gets going" moments, and its actually very satisfying.

Its...fine in single player, I guess. The lack of multiplayer in any form is going to hurt the experience but solo hunts are still super fun

Nah, I play just fine without it. Maybe if you really want to be an expert at a ranged class, but the melee weapons handle just fine without the CCP

tebunker

Banned
So on Wii U, is there a way to not have all the HUD on the gamepad? For some reason, this game makes me want to have it all on the tv. I don't know why, it just seems to make sense to not have it on the gamepad.

So on Wii U, is there a way to not have all the HUD on the gamepad? For some reason, this game makes me want to have it all on the tv. I don't know why, it just seems to make sense to not have it on the gamepad.

(While NOT using off-TV play) open the in-game menu with -/MINUS/START, select the Manage panels option on the Wii U GamePad's touchscreen, drag and drop all tiles you want to appear on the TV to the dustbin, confirm.

I have wanted to get into MH forever and I finally started a couple of weeks ago and have about 17 hours clocked. I would say it takes half that to really start to understand all the different systems in the game. They're all relatively straight forward on their own but it took me a bit to wrap my head around the benefits of stuff like farming and crafting. The game is very deliberate in its pacing in the beginning, but I think that helps get you ready for the patience required for the rest of the game. Ultimately, five hours of learning the basics isn't that big of a deal when you've got hundreds of hours of gameplay ahead of you. Once you kill your first big monster, you'll be hooked.

Anura

I suppose thats true, I had reload+1 on another bowgun set and I didn't notice any difference

This is because each shot has a different reload value. Normal and elements are almost always super fast and status being super slow. It works like recoil where some shots have naturally more of it. It should be used only if you plan on pierce/crag/clust/status gunning

also

Banned

Thanks!
The game clicked with me after a few hours of playing the terrible demo.

I've played 150+ hours solo only and had tons of fun.

There's a pseudo lock on so you won't be missing the second stick until you come across the few 2 monster arena fights. This happens way, way later in the game.

tuffy

This is because each shot has a different reload value. Normal and elements are almost always super fast and status being super slow. It works like recoil where some shots have naturally more of it. It should be used only if you plan on pierce/crag/clust/status gunning
And even if you're going to do lots of pierce/crag/clust/status gunning, I think it's preferable to get recoil way down versus trying to get reload speed way down.

But don't take my word for it. Whip up a full set of Alloy S with 4 Quickload decorations (getting it up to Reload Speed +3) and hop into Moga to see how it compares.

Anura

And even if you're going to do lots of pierce/crag/clust/status gunning, I think it's preferable to get recoil way down versus trying to get reload speed way down.

But don't take my word for it. Whip up a full set of Alloy S with 4 Quickload decorations (getting it up to Reload Speed +3) and hop into Moga to see how it compares.

I never meant it still didn't effect it a lot just that there would be NO difference in certain shots. The only reason I ever have it in my sets is because I have an expert+10 reload spd+ 4 tali. It lets me get a Unscathed, Crit Eye+3, pierce shot up, reload spd+1 set that is just perfect for the L narga HBG.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I'm guessing the recoil must mostly (or completely, not sure) account for the time between shots, right? I was just using a LBG with RF Pellet 1, which had extremely long animations between shots, whereas the regular Normal S (2 & 3) were just whipping out of my bowgun. The longer reloads are easy for me to reconcile, since I generally try to fit it in right at the end of a monster's attack animation. But man, those long waits between pellet shots were brutal. I kept getting hit waiting for the animation to finish.

tuffy

I never meant it still didn't effect it a lot just that there would be NO difference in certain shots. The only reason I ever have it in my sets is because I have an expert+10 reload spd+ 4 tali. It lets me get a Unscathed, Crit Eye+3, pierce shot up, reload spd+1 set that is just perfect for the L narga HBG.
Of course, it never hurts to throw in the skill if you can get it. And the Narga HBG line has a naturally low reload/recoil which makes it great for pierce shot to begin with.
Yeah, I'm guessing the recoil must mostly (or completely, not sure) account for the time between shots, right? I was just using a LBG with RF Pellet 1, which had extremely long animations between shots, whereas the regular Normal S (2 & 3) were just whipping out of my bowgun. The longer reloads are easy for me to reconcile, since I generally try to fit it in right at the end of a monster's attack animation. But man, those long waits between pellet shots were brutal. I kept getting hit waiting for the animation to finish.
Surprisingly, recoil skills don't apply to rapid-fire shots. So no matter how good or bad your recoil is, normal/element shots will always have a short delay and pierce/pellet shots will always have a long delay. Add the Bonus Shot skill (which adds another bullet to the end of every rapid-fire volley) and you may be anchored to a spot for a very long time while they all fire - which can be dangerous.

SuperSah

Banned
I play on 3DS. Hundreds of hours but I would not recommend it without a CPP.

Grip and better camera functionality make it waaaay nicer to play.

Time to farm 130 Earth Crystals...

Insaniac

I play on 3DS. Hundreds of hours but I would not recommend it without a CPP.

Grip and better camera functionality make it waaaay nicer to play.

Time to farm 130 Earth Crystals...

wooh earth crystals. Got my Enduring Sacrifice while farming EC at work >.> Literally farmed 99 earth crystals in one quest to upgrade my ancientshard gunlance to help my brother beat G.Beard. Fuck earth crystals.

Of course, it never hurts to throw in the skill if you can get it. And the Narga HBG line has a naturally low reload/recoil which makes it great for pierce shot to begin with.

Surprisingly, recoil skills don't apply to rapid-fire shots. So no matter how good or bad your recoil is, normal/element shots will always have a short delay and pierce/pellet shots will always have a long delay. Add the Bonus Shot skill (which adds another bullet to the end of every rapid-fire volley) and you may be anchored to a spot for a very long time while they all fire - which can be dangerous.

Huh, I'll take your word for it since you're the LBG user, but I always thought God's Archipelago users stacked recoil down +2 for the rapid fire crag and what not

GeekyDad

I see. One more quick question if I may: It's my understanding that when your shots hit purple, you're doing critical hits. But my LBG has -10% Affinity. So, with a negative affinity, are those purple shots then representing shots that are doing less damage than normal?

tuffy

Huh, I'll take your word for it since you're the LBG user, but I always thought God's Archipelago users stacked recoil down +2 for the rapid fire crag and what not
Close. God's Archipelago users typically take the limiter off, attach a silencer and throw in a big recoil down skill. Removing the limiter from an LBG lets the user load all the shots at once (via a hilariously slow reload animation) without having to reload to switch between them at the cost of removing rapid fire. This lets them fire off a couple of status shots, 9 crag shots (across all three levels), 9 cluster shots (across all three levels) with no recoil and without having to reload at all.

It's a pretty massive burst of damage so long as the ammo holds out.
I see. One more quick question if I may: It's my understanding that when your shots hit purple, you're doing critical hits. But my LBG has -10% Affinity. So, with a negative affinity, are those purple shots then representing shots that are doing less damage than normal?
The negative affinity purple flashes are a slightly different color than the positive ones, and it means your physical shots are doing 25% less damage than normal on that particular hit. But for elemental shots it doesn't matter.

SuperSah

Banned
wooh earth crystals. Got my Enduring Sacrifice while farming EC at work >.> Literally farmed 99 earth crystals in one quest to upgrade my ancientshard gunlance to help my brother beat G.Beard. Fuck earth crystals.

Where's the best place to grind these things?

Insaniac

Just do a port D. Island gather quest, bring nothing but pickaxes (and a farcaster) and wear a good gather set. Go to the little circular cave and circle around in there the whole time. mining spots will respawn in there. I was able to get about 150+ worth of ore in maybe one sessions worth of time

if you bring cha cha and kayamba with the gather skill you might get a few extra EC out of it *shrug*

Bring 5 Old Pickaxe + Iron Pickaxe + Mega Pickaxe, equip the Leather armor given to you at the very start of the game in your equipment box to get Spirit's Whim / Gathering +1 / Speed Gatherer armor skills, then go to Moga Woods' cave (area 4) day or night and do loops over and over until you run out of Pickaxes. They respawn quite fast. Also, bring Cha-Cha + Kaymba, both with a mask that makes them gather a lot (Fluffy / Nulberry / Gag Gargwa / Stink) and the “Gatherer” ability.

tuffy

And don't forget that you can carry up to 99 Bone and 99 Machalite Ore, which can be combined for more Mega Pickaxes if they start to break.

GUYS! I beat TWEWY yesterday, and currently I'm watching these insufferable ProJared videos. I will FINALLY be starting this game up shortly! I'm super pumped, especially riding off the hype of the MH4U localization announcement.

*salute*

See you gents on the other side

SuperSah

Banned
GUYS! I beat TWEWY yesterday, and currently I'm watching these insufferable ProJared videos. I will FINALLY be starting this game up shortly! I'm super pumped, especially riding off the hype of the MH4U localization announcement.

*salute*

Have fun man! Take it easy, it's a fairly long start until you get the hang of it.

Anura

*salute*

Best game on the DS! Anyways if you have any questions about MH feel free to ask! MHGAF is always looking to be helpful.

Insaniac

*salute*

insufferable? Try icemann00b or SocialDissonance, I like their MH vids a lot

Top Bottom