• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

The only thing I hate about Nox is how angry he is. He almost stays enraged throughout the entirety of the fight.

Mephala

I've never gotten a lot of awesome charms myself, but even I managed to wind up with one of those so they're probably not too rare.

If you're still in HR6, something like the usual Helios mix might do. Or maybe Diablos X once you hit HR7.

Rocksteady makes you recover a lot faster from hits, offers small current resistance and wind resistance, but it also offers the equivalent of mid-grade earplugs. That means is blocks more roars than regular earplugs, but there's still a handful it still doesn't block (like Diablos and Gigginox). Unfortunately, it requires Miralis parts which you don't have access to just yet.

I have no idea what a Miralis is but its name reminds me of Fatalis which makes me guess it is the end game elder dragon. :eek:

I'm still using my Volvidon HR set, which is starting to show its age given how much some of the attacks hurt now. It is generally not so bad until the monster enters rage. Oh and Plesioth water beams. Dat negative in water res. -.-

Rocksteady sounds kind of... cheap. A bunch of low skills in one? Better than regular ear plugs but not quite HG ear plugs? O_O

Anura

I have no idea what a Miralis is but its name reminds me of Fatalis which makes me guess it is the end game elder dragon. :eek:

I'm still using my Volvidon HR set, which is starting to show its age given how much some of the attacks hurt now. It is generally not so bad until the monster enters rage. Oh and Plesioth water beams. Dat negative in water res. -.-

Rocksteady sounds kind of... cheap. A bunch of low skills in one? Better than regular ear plugs but not quite HG ear plugs? O_O

Well he does use the fatalis animations, lol!

Rocksteady is a very good skill, that much is obvious. It can however, be dangerous when the faster recovery time leaves you open to be comboed but that's still kinda rare. Think of it like Edgemaster/Stellar Hunter or the gunner equivalent in that few sets have it, it's really good and it's hard to gem on.

Mephala

Lance evading is just good fun in general. I like the direction freedom it gives over the regular dodge.

My issue is that I generally roll forward through a lot of attacks to get closer to the monsters at the same time, can't do that with the lance out. I still have the most kills under lance though... Or maybe not, I recently took to using the LS in Moga Woods day just slaughtering everything in sight for resources...

MegaMelon

I just unlocked Hallowed Jhen armor and it looks like the best armor in the game, with only Nether and maybe Miralis armor giving it competition. Sharpness +1 AND Razor Sharp with 8 slots to gem in? Yes please! The downside is I have to go get Deviljho parts which sucks cause Jho is really annoying to fight. Also, what's up with people making a room for monster x then being adamant about wanting to fight monster y? Smh.

tuffy

Rocksteady is a very good skill, that much is obvious. It can however, be dangerous when the faster recovery time leaves you open to be comboed but that's still kinda rare. Think of it like Edgemaster/Stellar Hunter or the gunner equivalent in that few sets have it, it's really good and it's hard to gem on.
Surprisingly, Earplug Jewels and Steady Jewels even have the same point distributions (3 slots for 4 points, 1 slot for 1 point)! But it's certainly harder to bring in because it only occurs naturally on two armor sets (Miralis and G rank Jhen) and charms with Unshakeable only get up to +3, apparently.

But at least it's easier than Silver Bullet, Honed Blade or Wrath Awoken, which have no decorations at all. Fitting those into any kind of mixed set requires either a good charm or some Torso Up shenanigans.

Rawk Hawk

Faced Nox last night, having Jaggi regrets haha, Wroggi would have been such a nice set. Did complete the hunt, but seemed a lot more stressful than it needed to be.

Only a couple more 4 star quests, then I'm in 5 star. Starting to look forward and plan out my next armor set, after last night Wroggi S has risen up my list to the top. Razor Sharp feels like it has to be one of the best skills for Dual Blades, I'm sharpening so often.

Couple random questions I ran into, when a monster flees an area to go sleep or eat, how quickly do they regain their health? Is it okay to take time to use a whetstone and maybe mine a couple spots before taking off after them? Currently I bolt after them as quick as I can, in fear of them getting like half their life pool back.

Secondly, how much do the actions of the monsters change when you get to higher rank? Do they add more moves or do them in different combinations, or is it mainly the same moves just stronger?

Thanks as always!

tuffy

Couple random questions I ran into, when a monster flees an area to go sleep or eat, how quickly do they regain their health? Is it okay to take time to use a whetstone and maybe mine a couple spots before taking off after them? Currently I bolt after them as quick as I can, in fear of them getting like half their life pool back.
A monster hardly ever regains health. Qurupeco's healing song, when the monster pounces on the hunter and starts taking bites and when the monster is sleeping are some notable exceptions. Even then, the amount regained is small. There's no need to rush after them if you need a minute to heal and sharpen your weapon.
Secondly, how much do the actions of the monsters change when you get to higher rank? Do they add more moves or do them in different combinations, or is it mainly the same moves just stronger?
They get new some new moves and existing moves hit harder, but probably the biggest thing to get used to how much faster they move around. Your openings to attack get smaller and you'll need to anticipate a bit more, so there's going to be an adjustment just like how it felt when starting out at low rank.

Mephala

Thanks as always!

My recent runs in G Rank give me the impression that things are more aggressive, your little companions do not last nearly as long so often monsters target you repeatedly as they are burrowed in recovery. Monsters seem to have faster recovery times between attacks and some of their patterns change a little. They can be really quick when in rage mode. They are also larger and you start noticing damage when they step/turn and you're in their way, slashing their legs....

Also, Unstable quests seems to have a higher rate of second monsters. I swear every second quest I take has a surprise Deviljho in it. >8(

PKrockin

Yeah, speed is definitely the #1 difference to watch out for as far as fighting the same monster on higher ranks. I almost got bodied by a G-rank Great Jaggi the first time because i wasn't exactly expecting him to move like a ninja.

I fought the double Arzuros in G-rank last night and he gets some serious range on that multiple swipe move thanks to his size.

Anura

Speaking of compound skills, Can they buff Silver Bullet now? It's such a useless skill... Any time I use a bowgun I always specialize it for a certain shot type and really, why wouldn't you? Having all the shot type up skills is pointless for guns and even worse for bows.

tuffy

Not only is Silver Bullet a ridiculous skill, but I'll also reiterate that Load Up is way too expensive in terms of points-per-slot for what it actually does.

Sometimes I get the feeling they spend way more time balancing the blademaster-type weapons and skills than they do on the ranged ones. That's how we wind up with bowguns becoming nearly useless against Alatreon yet a coordinated attack can bring down Abyssal Lagiacrus in about 2 minutes.

Anura

Not only is Silver Bullet a ridiculous skill, but I'll also reiterate that Load Up is way too expensive in terms of points-per-slot for what it actually does.

Sometimes I get the feeling they spend way more time balancing the blademaster-type weapons and skills than they do on the ranged ones. That's how we wind up with bowguns becoming nearly useless against Alatreon yet a coordinated attack can bring down Abyssal Lagiacrus in about 2 minutes.

Yeah, guns seem to get no love. At least bows do pretty against Alatreon but they're not the same thing at all.

Edit: I have however, seen a really good Island of the Gods Ala speed run

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Reposting:
I'll probably get this game very soon (got a birthday coming up in ten days... ;)). I played lots of MH3 on the original Wii, reached about HR 100-110 (IIRC), killed Alatreon a bunch of times etc. so I know the original game pretty well. I haven't played ever since they closed the servers though.

Anything I should know, tips and stuff, before starting this one? Will I have to "unlearn" anything? I'll get the Wii U version.
Anyone? Don't feel like reading 87 pages to catch up, but I'll probably participate in the thread more once I get the game. ^^

Anura

Reposting:

Anyone? Don't feel like reading 87 pages to catch up, but I'll probably participate in the thread more once I get the game. ^^

A lot of things you need to learn but nothing much you need to unlearn. The only thing I can think of is if you play lance and need to get accustomed to the various nerfs

ohlawd

yeah Lance was my main weapon in MHT but I actually hit up Portable 3rd before playing 3U so I was already used to the nerfs :x

Reposting:

“after” is not censored anymore.
An online room is disbanded if its creator leaves. So, when you're hosting a room, give notice in advance if you plan on closing it, otherwise people will be disconnected.
1st thing to do after you've created a new character: download the free DLC. It includes 5,000 resource points that will help you complete Villager Requests or pay for the farm.

Game has much more monsters/items/weapons quests//armors etc. than MH3 on Wii. Use resources to help you such as kiranico or the MH3G Dex.

Heroman

Banned
It was stronger before? How much?

They nerfed it pretty good. In tri you could keep on doing the spirit dance for as long as the gauge was full but in mhp3rd and Mh3u every time you use the spirit dance move the gauge will go down. So now you cant just spam spirit combos like you did in tri.

Anura

They nerfed it pretty good. In tri you could keep on doing the spirit dance for as long as the gauge was full but in mhp3rd and Mh3u every time you use the spirit dance move the gauge will go down. So now you cant just spam spirit combos like you did in tri.

It's mostly a trade off IMO. Remember, back in tri once you got to red it would automatically reset back square one after a min or two. In MH3U/P3rd you can maintain it and keep it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
“after” is not censored anymore.
Awesome. xD Good gods was that dumb.

An online room is disbanded if its creator leaves. So, when you're hosting a room, give notice in advance if you plan on closing it, otherwise people will be disconnected.
1st thing to do after you've created a new character: download the free DLC. It includes 5,000 resource points that will help you complete Villager Requests or pay for the farm.

Game has much more monsters/items/weapons quests//armors etc. than MH3 on Wii. Use resources to help you such as kiranico or the MH3G Dex.
Good to know. Thanks!

Damn, that sucks. I did use the longsword a lot. But, if it can be sustained without expiring, that's a good trade-off.

Mephala

I have renewed my dislike for Gigginox... His baleful cousin aside, he wasn't particularly troublesome once you got into the habit of retreating before he hits you with the toxin which drains your health incredibly fast compared to other poisons. At G Rank however his new trick with that nest of giggis is super annoying. I'll tag this since there are some newbies and I don't want to spoil the fun for them.
Planting that nest on its own back is such a brilliant idea and a total dick move. I expected to see little Giggis oozing out once in a while but instead, every time I got close they come lunging out. It isn't slow between each one either, in the time of a 2 poke lance attack I accumulated 2. Tripping from Gigginox's turn put me on 4 with another one on the ground crawling towards me with a hunger for my blood.
I ignored the little slugs at first because realistically they weren't doing that much damage (one or two attached any way) and a few hops will remove them. But eventually the area just had too many. They didn't hurt much but the flinch from their bites lead to disaster. It took me a while before I realised to easiest way to get rid of them was to let the raging Giggnox do it for me with belly flops and charges. I got careless and took a combo of being nibbled, roared at, nibbled, roared at and then poison farted back to camp. Its been a while since the thought that perhaps being a gunner would have made this easier crossed my mind.
Fun and exciting, kind of. ChaCha is useless on that antidote dance. Will have nightmares of Giggis on my neck tonight, I'm sure of it.

Pwa4J7R.png

tuffy

Gunning Gigginix is very easy and something I'd highly recommend. You'll always be out of range of his poison fart. His poison spit projectiles move very slowly and are easy to dodge. You can even still shoot him when he's on the walls or ceiling. So all that's left to worry about are his head/tail whips, belly flops and occasional rushing attack.

I've done the triple G Gigginox advanced quest solo several times without being poisoned at all. Just bring lots of flame shot for rapid-firing and combines for more.

Mephala

Gunning Gigginix is very easy and something I'd highly recommend. You'll always be out of range of his poison fart. His poison spit projectiles move very slowly and are easy to dodge. You can even still shoot him when he's on the walls or ceiling. So all that's left to worry about are his head/tail whips, belly flops and occasional rushing attack.

I've done the triple G Gigginox advanced quest solo several times without being poisoned at all. Just bring lots of flame shot for rapid-firing and combines for more.

I've gunned before in MHFU and it just clicked that this guy would be pretty easy to gun. Probably be far easier to break every part of him this way too, I failed to break his tail in that last quest.

I currently don't have any good guns nor any gunner armor though. Figured I'd stick to blademaster first. I'll be sure to come here and ask you about recommended guns and armors at that point. ;)

Rawk Hawk

I've gunned before in MHFU and it just clicked that this guy would be pretty easy to gun. Probably be far easier to break every part of him this way too, I failed to break his tail in that last quest.

I currently don't have any good guns nor any gunner armor though. Figured I'd stick to blademaster first. I'll be sure to come here and ask you about recommended guns and armors at that point. ;)

Some what the same boat as you, never really thought to try gunning. Although I have never done it in a MH game, so I'll be completely new to it.

Think with just 5 star low rank quests left, I'm going to blademaster through those, but then get a set of high rank gunner gear and try it out then.

Shengar

Some what the same boat as you, never really thought to try gunning. Although I have never done it in a MH game, so I'll be completely new to it.

Think with just 5 star low rank quests left, I'm going to blademaster through those, but then get a set of high rank gunner gear and try it out then.

What weapon that you mostly used right now?

Rawk Hawk

What weapon that you mostly used right now?

Dual Blades exclusively. Have an Water set (Ludoth) and Ice set (Ice Slicers), that I bounce between depending on weakness, should have Lightning set after I kill Lagia a couple times.

Mainly because I'm still fairly new to MH, and the slower weapons are hard for me to land hits with. At least with DB, if I don't get a full combo, I generally get a hit or two.

Anura

Do you guys want both LBG and HBG suggestions? Or just LBG because it's easier?

Edit: I'm just going to give recommendations for both.

For LGB you want a gun that can RF element shots.

For Ice get the Barioth LBG. A little low with the raw but the only other gun that RFs ice shots is the Snowrroth and that is super inaccurate without the precision skilll. It's got good pierce shot clips too! Just keep upgrading it till G.

For water you can start with Lud but once high rank comes around replace it for the plessy gun. It's got para shots along with the water shots and it's very easy to make! Upgrade that through G but don't go up the green plessy path.

Fire should be Los LBG. It's actually pretty easy to make and upgrade during low rank but needs a ruby at High rank. There won't be a better fire gun until Dire Miralis, be sure to switch over to his when you can.

Start with Lagi for thunder but trade it in as soon as Zinogre's becomes available. Zin's will path into the A. lagi stuff and save you a bunch of rare parts in the process. I think it's RFs para too... Maybe?

Other good LBGs are the God's archipelago for crag/clust and the cat gun for status. however, before moving on to these you should get the ones above first

For HBGs you should just focus on two specific raw shots.

Normal is great for monsters with big weak hitzones and that makes it your "go to" gun for the Raths. The best gun for this is arguably the Rathian HBG. Upgrade it to the end and it ends up with huge clip sizes, High raw and three slots. The Ceadeus is good for crouch firing normal but that's only really used for Four Point HR grinding.

Pierce is the other shot type and it tears up big monsters like Jhen, Dire and Ceadeus. There isn't really any good pierce HBG at low rank but as soon as you reach Narga make his. It's the best all purpose pierce gun and might even edge out any other with the right set. The other one is the Black Blos HBG but before that's any good it needs to be crouch fired and have the recoil down skill... Whew I think that's it...

Anura

I'm likely going to try LBG first, same logic as the DB's verse other weapons. Noticed Bow not mentioned, is that the most complex, or just underpowered?

Bow is very different. I can give you a run down but I don't know the good low rank bows. They also got a subtle yet huge nerf with the amount of bows that have power coating

PKrockin

I just did the 2x Great Baggi and 2x Lagombi quest. Is it normal that I finished with 5-10 minutes left with a non-G-rank fire horn or am I out of practice?

Quadratic

Anyone feeling like playing in a couple of hours? Going to go grab some dinner and hop on for anything. I'll edit this post with a room when I'm online.

02 Free B
Lobby 3
Neogaf
Password: gaf

tuffy

I should be available a little over a couple hours from now. I can try out some armor sets I've devised or generally help out with whatever.

Heroman

Banned
I'm likely going to try LBG first, same logic as the DB's verse other weapons. Noticed Bow not mentioned, is that the most complex, or just underpowered?

Try long sword, it pretty good for new players and is aslo preety quick and for bow they are pretty weird when compared to bow guns

Haunted

Oh god, a bunch of friends got back into the game and are roping me in to do P8 monsters with them.

Time to dust off the ol' Gunlance and refresh my Alatreon pattern knowledge.

au9uWxT.gif

Rawk Hawk

Try long sword, it pretty good for new players and is aslo preety quick and for bow they are pretty weird when compared to bow guns

Nice, I'll give LS a try, I do think I would like to add a higher base power weapon to my arsenal, GS and Hammer both were still slow for me, I'm not quick enough to know when the openings will be yet. Switch Axe is another I'll probably try again, mainly aesthetic, but I do like SA. I'm roughly 20 hours in, probably under valuing my knowledge of the low rank monsters a little, I bet I could use a slower weapon and still land a lot of hits.

For DB's I generally try to get good elemental attacks, but what am I looking for in a good Long Sword (or any other weapon really?), is it mainly base damage when it comes to the slower weapons?

Anura

Nice, I'll give LS a try, I do think I would like to add a higher base power weapon to my arsenal, GS and Hammer both were still slow for me, I'm not quick enough to know when the openings will be yet. Switch Axe is another I'll probably try again, mainly aesthetic, but I do like SA. I'm roughly 20 hours in, probably under valuing my knowledge of the low rank monsters a little, I bet I could use a slower weapon and still land a lot of hits.

For DB's I generally try to get good elemental attacks, but what am I looking for in a good Long Sword (or any other weapon really?), is it mainly base damage when it comes to the slower weapons?

Long sword likes a bit of both. It's really weak with just raw at the lower bars and won't get many of the much needed flinches at the start. However, at the higher bars the raw is important, as element doesn't get any damage buffs from filling the bar.

Hammer and GS are the only true raw first weapons. Some weapons like raw but are dependent on other factors along with it. Bows like raw but need power coatings to go with it, SWAX likes raw but only with a power phile, etc, etc.

Mephala

Elemental LSs are fine but so too are the raw attack power ones. I think LS and other fast striking weapons can better take advantage of elemental weaknesses however the spirit gauge gives a boost to raw attack. I like my LS elemental but they generally have fairly high attack power anyway. GS and hammers (at least in MHFU) should almost always be raw attack power before elements. This is due to their charge attacks gaining the most benefit from having higher attack power. I believe the elemental attack doesn't get as much or any benefits from the charge attacks. I think there are some exceptions for specific swords on specific monsters but a high attack power is generally accepted as a priority.
You will later come across the
slime
element which seems like an all-purpose option. It might not be as good as something the monster is weak against but as far as I can tell I've yet to find something that it doesn't work well on.

I'm less experienced on switch-axes however I feel I get better results from those on the "power phial".

The trick with the greatsword is to keep it sheathed 90% of the time. You want to use the draw attack, charged if possible on the monster's weakest spot. For instance, a Rathian doing her standard triple fireball is a good time to charge the GS and let it down on the monster's head. Sometimes you can follow up with another quick attack before rolling away to sheathe and repeat. Sometimes it is safer to let the attack go early and get out before you get hit. Uncharged attacks are ok if there is a quick but short opening but the power of the GS comes from doing singular huge damaging strikes on important parts. A common scenario is to run in after the monster does a charge attack past you or at another player. You will want to get in close enough and quick enough to perform a charged attack on it as it turns to face you (predict this based on patterns when multiplayer or using Shakalas). You can see an example in the webm above.

The hammer works a little like the GS but because it does crushing/impact damage you can KO a monster by repeatedly hitting it in the head. At this point you can freely attack the monster for extra damage. Generally speaking, using the charged "super pound" on the head of a monster until it KOs then using the standard triple pound combo on its head is a pretty reliable hammer method.

Essentially, these flowcharts may look entirely stupid but is fairly legitimate advice to start off with. SnS, DS, LS, SA I'm happy to run around unsheathed. Not these two though.

I generally like to practice in Moga Woods since deaths there mean nothing. I am also not obligated to kill the monsters there, as I get better I can kill multiple monsters per trip while mining some ores or bugs.

If you really struggle, I recommend just trying to keep pace with the monster. Keep as close as you can without actually getting into its attack range. From here you will more easily notice when you have openings where you can setup some punishment. Don't forget you can insta-block with the GS from an unsheathed position. Saved me countless times.

I main lance, GS and hammers. I'm happy to give advice to anyone though I'm probably nowhere near as knowledgeable as others here. :p

Spent all of yesterday playing monster hunter with my brother and friend trying to get to G Rank. We have been destroying everything so far just using slime weapons, these are pretty op.

Top Bottom