• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Rawk Hawk

Finally failed my first quest this weekend, didn't bring extra capturing items and use up the given ones early. Lesson learned.

Also almost failed another capture quest thanks to small monsters getting in the way of my tranq bomb, extremely stressful, but had extra traps and bombs, so that one panned out okay.

Just beat duramboros last night, thinking once I finish up the low rank village stuff, I'm going to try and do low rank online quests, test the multiplayer waters a little.

Mephala

Quick question. Whats up with the Hunter Ranks? I thought we went up to HR9 with P9* quests. Yet I see people with 50+ or even over 100? O__O

Also I feel like its time for an avatar change. Anyone got some MH ones?

Fistwell

I'm going to try and do low rank online quests, test the multiplayer waters a little.
Let us know. One of my alts is an online virgin, we could team up for a bit if you wanted (time zones allowing, I'm in Western EU).

Quick question. Whats up with the Hunter Ranks? I thought we went up to HR9 with P9* quests. Yet I see people with 50+ or even over 100? O__O
Up to a certain point; your rank is determined by which level of MP quests you've reached. Once you've reached a specific point (beat a particular quest), your rank depends on the number of hunter points accumulated. People typically shoot up 30+ranks.

Garteal

Once you reach HR8, you can increase your HR by gaining experience from hunting. Usually if you've hunted a lot, you'll get up to HR40 or so. Again, that depends on how much you've hunted prior to doing the HR7 urgent.

Got something in mind? Don't mind making you an avatar.

Haunted

pixel art is timeless

monster_hunters_by_abysswolf-d614y2m.png

30800a49b21db04d629bd2e5036093ba.jpg

Quadratic

You crazy guys.

Doing some quality hunting with Sassy, Holt and Quadratic.

Honestly, nothing beats a solid GAF stack.

I'm lucky that I have a facebook group I meet up with locally every week. They're the ones that really helped carry me from HR1 to G rank. I only began attending this February. We have pretty big plans once 4U comes out. It'll be nice to start on the same level as everyone. Although some people do have JP 3DS' with MH4 and have completed all the quests there.

Mephala

Got something in mind? Don't mind making you an avatar.

I made the mistake of taking a look at tumblr. That is an hour and a half I won't get back. I died when I saw this. Would you be able to turn it into an avatar for me? You can leave the ludroth out.

I saw heaps of MH4 gifs. Damn it I want it now! ._.
tumblr_n9p67sNa841r0sqjpo2_500.gif
tumblr_moah97u4sY1r0sqjpo1_400.gif

Sure it's been a while since I've hunted, but if it's within reasonable times for me (GMT+1) then I'd love to play with you guys.

Scrolled a bit on da and this was the only one I could find so far.
Cool thanks! Now if I could get that in pixel art I would be in heaven.

PKrockin

Boy, G-rank Brachydios with his instant 180 degree turn punches and three hit AoE attack combos to death is really fighting to be my least favorite monster.

Quadratic

alright. I can play later.

that's good I guess. I'm gonna watch the Advanced Warfare stream instead >_>

If you post a room here I can come in and carry for a while. I'll be checking for the next couple of hours. I want to practice my switch axe usage.

iOS control tips anyone? Am i having trouble because I'm new to the touchscreen? Is it because I'm playing on an iPad mini (smaller iphone would be easier to press buttons?)

I remember playing on wii/wiiu and running and doing stuff mid run, that seemms hard for me here.

Any general tips for ios touchscreen play?

Quadratic

Ohlawd is now G rank. lol, from HR 1. Some of those fights were ridiculously fast.

Sorry for tripping everyone up. I'm not a very good Switch Axe user yet.

tuffy

I was sticking to rank-appropriate gear for awhile to keep things entertaining. But near the end I swapped out the Barioth U for some endgame gear and clear times started to get crazy fast.

Rawk Hawk

Got home late tonight, ohlawd I sent you a friend request I believe. Not sure if I'll be on in an hour or not, might just knock out a couple solo ones and call it a night anyway, just figured I'd hop on with you guys for a hunt or two if you were still on.

ohlawd

ahh, add my other account: ohmahlawdy. the one in my profile is my main

mmk well I'll probably be still around like 2 hours at the most.

Mephala

I'll be doing some random mining quests... One of those weapons wants 99 Earth Crystals and my Anvil Hammer wants some stupid amount of Iron Ores.

Mt9mY2L.png

tuffy

I'll be doing some random mining quests... One of those weapons wants 99 Earth Crystals and my Anvil Hammer wants some stupid amount of Iron Ores.
Put on your best suit of Leather S, bring a lot of pickaxes and keep circling area 4 of daytime Moga. The mining nodes respawn fast so it won't take a lot of time to come up with all those Earth Crystals. Just grill up more steaks and combine bones from Jaggi's lair for more pickaxes as needed.

Mephala

Put on your best suit of Leather S, bring a lot of pickaxes and keep circling area 4 of daytime Moga. The mining nodes respawn fast so it won't take a lot of time to come up with all those Earth Crystals. Just grill up more steaks and combine bones from Jaggi's lair for more pickaxes as needed.

That is a pretty good idea. I don't have Leather S, just plain old leather at the moment. :\

I'd also like some Fucium and a couple of Isisium wouldn't hurt either. Where would be the best places for those? There is also something called a Pure Crystal which I've yet to come by any where. :\

I think I'll farm some Azure Rathalos tomorrow. I need some Rathalos Mantles which I assume are the G rank equivalent of the ruby.

tuffy

That is a pretty good idea. I don't have Leather S, just plain old leather at the moment. :\
Either is fine. Just get the Gather +2 skill with 3 Gathering decorations and any 1 slot charm and you're all set.
I'd also like some Fucium and a couple of Isisium wouldn't hurt either. Where would be the best places for those? There is also something called a Pure Crystal which I've yet to come by any where. :\
Fucium is either high/G rank Tundra (area 4), high/G rank Volcano (areas 8-10 high rank, 4, 5, 10 G rank), or G rank Sandy Plains (6 or 11).

Isisium is all Tundra (low rank 4-5, high rank 5-6, G rank 4, 5, 7, 9).

Purecrystal is either G rank Deserted Island (8, 10), G rank Flooded Forest (8, 10), G rank Tundra (4, 6), G rank Volcano (3) or G rank Misty Peaks (3, 8).
I think I'll farm some Azure Rathalos tomorrow. I need some Rathalos Mantles which I assume are the G rank equivalent of the ruby.
Pretty much, though any G rank Rathalos might have them. Just be sure to capture since you can't carve them from its body.

Quadratic

If you have time tonight I can help you with that, just post room info in this thread I'm usually up until 11pm EST. I need 6 more A. Rath cortexes for a Miralis set I'm building.

tuffy

I always capture monsters, rarely kills them except I run out of tranquil bomb. Is that a healthy habit?
If you just want the quest over with, capturing is a good way to save some time. As a general rule, capturing often has a better chance for more rare parts at the expense of a less chance of more common parts. But it's best to check the percentages online if you're looking for something specific and are having trouble finding it.

Mephala

Thanks for the assistance guys. No luck yet so far but at least I'm getting a bunch of its other parts which will probably be of use later.

Anura

If you just want the quest over with, capturing is a good way to save some time. As a general rule, capturing often has a better chance for more rare parts at the expense of a less chance of more common parts. But it's best to check the percentages online if you're looking for something specific and are having trouble finding it.

Honestly while that's true in other games I'm not so sure it holds up in this one... If you're looking for Narga Mantles, Cloudy Moonshards, Durambolite, Wyvern Stones (Hunt Plessy for these btw) and Brachy Pallium they all have higher chance if you kill. S./Zin Skymerald, Fey Wyvern Gem and Diablos Hardhorn have the same percent either way.

Rathian Mantle, Rathalos Mantle, Uragaan Pallium and Lagi Mantle are the only ones with a higher chance if you cap

This is all if I'm remembering things right of course.

tuffy

This is all if I'm remembering things right of course.
That sounds about right, but for stuff like Brachy Palliums and Diablos Hardhorns your best odds turn out to be from quest rewards from specific chain hunts. The important thing is to look up those odds and calculate the percentages for especially rare items to make the best use of one's time. But it's not likely to be a problem until late in high rank when various gems, rubies and plates start turning up as requirements.

Anura

That sounds about right, but for stuff like Brachy Palliums and Diablos Hardhorns your best odds turn out to be from quest rewards from specific chain hunts. The important thing is to look up those odds and calculate the percentages for especially rare items to make the best use of one's time. But it's not likely to be a problem until late in high rank when various gems, rubies and plates start turning up as requirements.

True but I was just going off drop statistics alone.

DaBoss

So I got a LAN adapter today for the Wii U, so I can play online with the 3DS version through the Wii U. So anyone want to play? I'm rusty as hell, so sorry if I suck.

Is the server info in the OP the typical room where you all play?

Anura

So I got a LAN adapter today for the Wii U, so I can play online with the 3DS version through the Wii U. So anyone want to play? I'm rusty as hell, so sorry if I suck.

Is the server info in the OP the typical room where you all play?

We mostly just come here and ask if anyone can play. Heck you're usually there with me in the SmashGaf IRC so ask there too

Quadratic

I don't use the room in the OP since people are reading the latest posts now. I just bump the thread with room and password details.

Top Bottom