• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Kandinsky

Aww my youngest kid just gave me the most amazing present, Kayamba and Cha-cha figurines made of clay, even if Kayamba looks off and fucked up (lol) they're the cutest things ever <3

Also is it really worth it to work on a HR set or just wait for G to start?.

DaBoss

Aww my youngest kid just gave me the most amazing present, Kayamba and Cha-cha figurines made of clay, even if Kayamba looks off and fucked up (lol) they're the cutest things ever <3

That's so nice.

I made a set to just get through high rank, but got serious about sets in G-Rank.

Kyzon

So I'm playing online with Hoodbury and my gf. My mic is on (but it says off), and I'm talking extra loud since she's in the other room. How embarassing, lol

vareon

I say go for it, defense-wise G sets aren't that different so I used my HR set for G stuff for a long while. Go G if you want different skills and look.

Fewr

I'm going through HR offline.

So far I've only made easy sets: Arzuros (high def), Baggi (negate poison) and Volvidon (attack up). I also did baleful gigginox, but that's because I enjoy fighting the thing.

No need as long as you're careful. I went from Rathalos to Rath Soul Z and did ok in G before I got all the parts (using SnS)

You don't spend enough time in HR to have to stop and grind out a new set

Ultratech

During multi-monster quests all you can carve are mega potions. Either 3 or 4 in the same hunt, not sure

It just depends on the quest mostly.

Most of the multi-monster stuff in Low and High Rank will only give you Mega Potions in carves.

But a few G-Rank multi-monster quests will actually give you carves (like the 3 Gigginox Advanced Quest).

Fewr

Any tips or videos for Jhen Mohran?
I don't know when to use the special tools the boat offers, all I use are the cannon and the spears. I've been able to crack its dorsal fin, but once I get to the final showdown it destroys the boat.

L Thammy

Any tips or videos for Jhen Mohran?
I don't know when to use the special tools the boat offers, all I use are the cannon and the spears. I've been able to crack its dorsal fin, but once I get to the final showdown it destroys the boat.

Not sure about Cannons and ballistas. I try to save ballistas for the final showdown because their range is longer.

The gong cancels Jhen's attack. So, save it for when he's about to make a big sweep at the ship.

Ballista binders draw Jhen close. I don't think there's really a timing for it.

The dragonator is a melee weapon, but there's a slight delay using it. In the first phase, wait when you see Jhen in front. He'll shoot rocks, then dive back under and appear in front of your ship. Hit the button when his mouth opens.

You can climb on Jhen's back and break the cracked parts, then place bombs inside.

At the final showdown, try to keep Jhen at bay with the dragonator, gong, and ballista binder. Use a dragon-element weapon, preferably something with high power.

ramyeon

Not sure about Cannons and ballistas. I try to save ballistas for the final showdown because their range is longer.
Both the ballistas and the cannonball stocks refresh during the final showdown, so just use them up in both stages.

As far as the gong and binder go I just use them alternately when he's going to attack the ship. That way there's always one of them available.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56789030]Whoo! Got the Dark Dragongem so now I have all the parts to make my armor set!

all gold on my watch[/QUOTE]

Lmao

Fewr

Thanks for the tips. I forgot about bombs, and now I know when to use the special weapons.

I'm using an ice long sword, which the wiki says also works.

ramyeon

Thanks for the tips. I forgot about bombs, and now I know when to use the special weapons.

I'm using an ice long sword, which the wiki says also works.
I always put the bombs either on his tusks when you can jump on them from the ship or on his head, there's a platform there rather than inside the cracked parts of his spine.

Ridley327

Got the chance to try out the DLC Ivory Lagiacrus quest tonight.

THERE IS NO GOD

But hey, at least I got a mantle and a sapphire out of it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
First time fighting Qurupeco, and he gave me a serious headache. Shaking off the paint bomb was bad enough, but my DB could only land a couple of hits before losing sharpness and then bouncing off like crazy.

Am I right in assuming this bitch needs to be crushed with a hammer, or am I basically punching above my weight?

I'm currently clad in in Jaggi gear and equipped with Jaggid Shotels DB.

L Thammy

First time fighting Qurupeco, and he gave me a serious headache. Shaking off the paint bomb was bad enough, but my DB could only land a couple of hits before losing sharpness and then bouncing off like crazy.

Am I right in assuming this bitch needs to be crushed with a hammer, or am I basically punching above my weight?

I won't say he "needs" to be tackled with hammers, but too much of the early game is spent with green sharpness. It's gross.

Nearly finished my Black Diablos set. Now I can HH efficiently without wearing a man-thong!
Seriously, Bone armour is the worst thing.

Ultratech

Did Savage Jho earlier for the first time tonight.

Gotta say, he puts up a helluva fight.

That dragonbreath in rage mode has some pretty crazy range. More so than regular Jho.

Managed to get a Gem and Crook out of it at least. Sadly, there was no blood.

Got the chance to try out the DLC Ivory Lagiacrus quest tonight.

THERE IS NO GOD

But hey, at least I got a mantle and a sapphire out of it.

Lucky!

I manage to get all my tickets in 3 runs.

But yeah, he hits HARD. Thunder Resist actually helps.

I did surprisingly well, hardly getting hit. Also found out that if you're directly behind I.Lagi, (like right on his tail) his electric slide completely misses you (whereas on the sides and front, it's got a ridiculous hitbox).

Thoraxes

Zinogre Jasper on 4th one.

th_lawd_baby.gif

I always put the bombs either on his tusks when you can jump on them from the ship or on his head, there's a platform there rather than inside the cracked parts of his spine.

I try to weaken the tusks with the bombs, but fully break them in stage 2 - he staggers, and it gives me more time. I read the one guy's guide on here, and it was VERY helpful. Hit the Hunting Gong when he's about to do the big bellyflop and he falls over. Get in his mouth and cut him up. He also falls over if you stagger him twice by hitting his belly. Try and give yourself some time between the Gong and Ballista Binder so you're never SOL, but sometimes he does the big bellyflop multiple times in a row, which really fucks up the Dragonship. By the end, you should be able to get off two Dragonator shots in stage two and hit him in the mouth or belly for a kill. Also, I like to put both holes in his fin's weakpoints in Stage 1 - makes Stage 2 easier. Also, you can check the ship's integrity in the Quest info. You only have to worry a lot if it says "Danger!", because then it can only take maybe one more big bellyflop.

EDIT: Because bombs and cannonballs do the same amount of damage no matter what, don't put them by any weakpoints - it's a waste. Also, I only use the ballista shots and cannon balls in phase one to weaken the tusks and pass the time when he's not close enough to jump on.

RobbieNick

I'd recommend the hammer at that early a stage. That's what I did.

Hattori

Banned
Just did the Eventacrus, lol I've never seen such a breakdown in morale, didn't die (thank you Nether Armor)but I wish we could've at least completed the quest. HR 100+ folks carting before me was quite a sight to see x)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tanzia Nibelsnarf almost destroyed me. o_0 Have to be more careful in these Tanzia quests playing solo.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I love hammers feel and control, but at this point in the game, the only available for me is the Iron Hammer (default). I was able to upgrade it to Iron Hammer+ but that still didn't make make as effective as my Jaggid DB.

Haunted

Thanks for hunting yesterday, King_Moc, Raiku, Selenae, Mileena. Was my first time with GAFers instead of randoms or duoing with a friend. Good stuff. ^^

I always thought of Qurupeco as the fight that teaches the basics of sharpness. So much easier with green sharpness.

Hammering his head/beak is effective, but it can be hard to hit with his small hitbox.

panda21

i was playing online yesterday with someone who kept trying to capture super early, when the monster was just drooling but not limping.

i assumed it wasn't going to work but they got a capture after shocking and throwing 4 tranq bombs at it, and then everyone attacking it for a bit while it was still shocked (after the tranq bombs).

i thought it was always just make it limp -> 2 tranq bombs but i guess not.

Fistwell

Thanks for hunting yesterday, King_Moc, Raiku, Selenae, Mileena. Was my first time with GAFers instead of randoms or duoing with a friend. Good stuff. ^^
Hey that was pretty fun! Kinda wish we'd taken a crack at something a little stronger, we kept rolling up monsters in 5mins!

i was playing online yesterday with someone who kept trying to capture super early, when the monster was just drooling but not limping.

i assumed it wasn't going to work but they got a capture after shocking and throwing 4 tranq bombs at it, and then everyone attacking it for a bit while it was still shocked (after the tranq bombs).

i thought it was always just make it limp -> 2 tranq bombs but i guess not.
If the monster is close to being weak, you can trap-tranq him and wack his shit while it's still trapped. If he crosses the weak-status hp threshold while still trapped (and tranqued), he'll be capped. It's not uncommon, and it's what people tend to do for speed-runs.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Finally opened up High Rank for the village and stuff got brutal. Getting dropped in a random zone, no items given, more agressive and resilient monsters... It feels like the real game started at 80 hours of playtime. Good thing my Volvidon set still holds up with upgrades because the new set will take some time to unlock. Though Arzuros stays easy so I'll get that for a start.

And I got a nice long sword as a gift in the village (wonder if the gift is random) and switching from the Great Sword just feels awesome. I can move faster than a snail with the sword out! I can flip small mobs like pancakes! Awesome combos! Shiny sword!

I loooove this game.

DaBoss

Most of the multi-monster stuff in Low and High Rank will only give you Mega Potions in carves.

But a few G-Rank multi-monster quests will actually give you carves (like the 3 Gigginox Advanced Quest).

I believe that if it is the same monster 3 times, then you will get carves.

Riposte

Since no one replied last time I'll be more clear:

How do you make the high rank Barioth set if you need Lagombi (or w/e) + parts and there seem to be no high rank quest where you fight him?

DaBoss

How do you make the high rank Barioth set if you need Lagombi (or w/e) + parts and there seem to be no high rank quest where you fight him?

I'm assuming you're in the village. There is a quest called, "On Thin Ice". You fight 2 Lagombi.

Fewr

Also, if you do a quest in which an extra monster might appear in the Tundra, I've found it's usually the little dinosaur that makes you sleep or Lagombi.

Me and a group of buddies smashed Dire Miralis yesterday a few times and I was surprised at how easy it was. Then we go to kill Lucent Nargacuga and the first attempt we killed him, then it went downhill. About 9 attempts later we gave up for the night. It's insane how Lucent Narg is harder to down instead of an elder dragon. Well back to trying to farm Lucent Narg today...

I'm actually focused on the city. But I suppose, I'll do more quests in the village to unlock that if I need to.

There's also a quest where you fight lagombi, jade barroth and barioth. It's what I did, since you obviously need the barioth parts too. It could be an advanced quest though, I'm not sure.

Edit: On second thought, that may be the G-rank barioth set I'm thinking about, can't remember...

Arveene

Neo Member

If the quest says "Hunt all large monsters", it should be mega potions. There might be an exception, I haven't gone through all the quests to confirm yet.

Fistwell

So, yesterday, DCalba wanted to do some gobul cause he's doing some gobul weapons, so, fine, we do triple gobul. So then, today, I check out the soulbinder path just for giggles and shit. So, after I make soulstrangler or whatever (which, btw, has horrible sharpness) of course I have to make a status+ set. Turns out, I have enough to craft some giggiX, and, I end up with status+2 and awaken. So, now, of course I got to go grind me some green narga to craft depths of midnight.

*puts on farm set*

*sighs*

The shit I put up with.

Mileena

Banned

HR gathering quest @ tundra + gamechanger food skill

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I always thought of Qurupeco as the fight that teaches the basics of sharpness. So much easier with green sharpness.

Hammering his head/beak is effective, but it can be hard to hit with his small hitbox.
That what I thought. My DB has green sharpness but only a sliver. I'll need to invest in a LS or something, which is fine because I mained it in previous games.

Speaking of sharpness, how soon am I going to be mining Pelagicite?

Hoodbury

So I'm playing online with Hoodbury and my gf. My mic is on (but it says off), and I'm talking extra loud since she's in the other room. How embarassing, lol

Lol, you didn't say anything bad at least. It also didn't seem like you could hear me either. I was trying to tell you I could hear you but you kept telling Leelee your mic was off; it wasn't until I typed it out you seemed to figure something strange was going on.

DaBoss

That what I thought. My DB has green sharpness but only a sliver. I'll need to invest in a LS or something, which is fine because I mained it in previous games.

Speaking of sharpness, how soon am I going to be mining Pelagicite?

It is in the third area you visit. 3 star quests have that area.

Got to HR5...finally, a mission to kill Joe! After all those countless times of meddling in my hunts, I finally get to have my vengeance! Fucking Joe!

Took me 25 mins and carted once on my first attempt. He's fucking HUGE and fast. He reminds of a T-Rex with the head of a Spinosaurus. And what element is that black red gas he shoots out?

Time to clear Goldbeard Ceadeus and move on to G-rank...but I'll probably farm Goldbeard a few times to get materials for that armor.

DaBoss

Got to HR5...finally, a mission to kill Joe! After all those countless times of meddling in my hunts, I finally get to have my vengeance! Fucking Joe!

Took me 25 mins and carted once on my first attempt. He's fucking HUGE and fast. He reminds of a T-Rex with the head of a Spinosaurus. And what element is that black red gas he shoots out?

Time to clear Goldbeard Ceadeus and move on to G-rank...but I'll probably farm Goldbeard a few times to get materials for that armor.

Dragon

Top Bottom