• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

CPCunha

I'm 80 hours in and only now i feel comfortable enough to play this online... i play GL only and would love to fight alongside some of GAFHunters... i've only done a couple of HR quests solo, should i get to a higher HR before joining you guys?

Kyzon

I'm 80 hours in and only now i feel comfortable enough to play this online... i play GL only and would love to fight alongside some of GAFHunters... i've only done a couple of HR quests solo, should i get to a higher HR before joining you guys?

Nah, just play with us. Gaf is nice like that. I played with two gaffers yesterday and my gf and we helped her get to HR 5. We're all HR 45+

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56828844]CHA-CHA'S A BETTER PARTNER THAN YOU'D EVER BE

*curls up in the corner of my bed, weeping with a 3ds[/QUOTE]

But Festwill heals us a lot more than Cha-Cha or Kayamba. I'd say he's at least worth 2 Cha-Chas.

Do you guys use any specific set of armor to hunt Ceadeus or something? I feel like I'm moving slow as molasses when I go up against this guy.

Kyzon

Nobody is online :/

^^^^ If you want, you can get an armor with the swimming skill. I forget what has it, but you should be fine if you just swim ahead of him and attack his beard. He'll slowly push you with him

Mileena

Banned
Do you guys use any specific set of armor to hunt Ceadeus or something? I feel like I'm moving slow as molasses when I go up against this guy.

I found the best way to fight him is to turn the Wii U off. I have no idea what they were thinking with some of the "big scale" fights, they're all boring as shit. Then put it underwater and it becomes nigh unplayable.

Boogiepop

Finished off the rest of the low rank village quests, plus Deviljho. Now I just need to finish off my HR stuff and I'll be done with offline! So close!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I used Lagi armor, but part of the reason the fight feels so slow is that everything else is so big. Use the dash swim to catch up to his beard then wait on it, repeat this until it breaks and you wind up in the final gigantic area.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56832368]Yeah, well, I'm gonna go kill this low-rank Rathalos with my G-Rank equipment to make myself feel better.[/QUOTE]

Lol, how long was the fight? :D Been farming Quality Sponges in my G Gear, R Ludorth was going down in less then a minute :D

Why 20? Wouldn't it be just 10?

Is it? Please say it is!
This is what the award list I have says:

Clear 20 quests on each map of the game, including maps such as Disastrous Sea (Dire Miralis), Great Desert (Jhen Mohran, Hallowed Jhen Mohran), Sacred Land (Alatreon), and Underwater Ruin (Ceadeus, Goldbeard Ceadeus, Abyssal Lagiacrus).

I downed way more than 20 Alatreon in Tri.

I'm on the 3DS, it's painful to do it alone :(

Kyzon

three friends online... all in local mode... no one in GAF lobby

screw you guys then I'm gonna play blood dragon

You nawt mah fwiend? D:

I had one guy in local, and nobody in gaf. Just got off to put together a table and some chairs though. (Then the gf will get off work and be like PLAY WITH MEEEE)

Is it just me, or is Agni and RudraElemenders the coolest weapon in the game?

mh3u_dichotomyd6y6y.png

DUAL ELEMENTS?? BOY OH BOY

Lol, how long was the fight? :D Been farming Quality Sponges in my G Gear, R Ludorth was going down in less then a minute :D

Like 6 minutes cause that asshole WOULD NOT COME DOWN FROM THE SKY

I tried the Brachy SnS out, and it's enjoyable enough. What skills should I go for besides Bombardier and Evasion, do you all think?

Chuckpebble

I tried the Brachy SnS out, and it's enjoyable enough. What skills should I go for besides Bombardier and Evasion, do you all think?
If you're playing online a lot, your team mates will enjoy wide range. Best thing about SnS is chugging pots and buff items without sheathing.

Haunted

That what I thought. My DB has green sharpness but only a sliver. I'll need to invest in a LS or something, which is fine because I mained it in previous games.

Speaking of sharpness, how soon am I going to be mining Pelagicite?
3* quests, red underwater mining spots in the Flooded Forest.

Haunted

is this rathian ruby used for anything in G or is it safe to use it on side set for high rank?
Rathian Ruby is used in all manner of Rathian sets and weapons, most in High Rank but also some in G-Rank. I remember needing them for the G Rathian set.

Though at that point, it's easier to get more because the drop rate increases in G-Rank (G Rathian has something like a 10% chance compared to the 2% for High Rank regular Rathians).

Alright, so I've been experimenting with different status setups. I'm a hammer user, and I've noticed that if I set Cha-Cha and Kayamba up right, they will paralyze non-easy monsters 1-2 times per fight. Very helpful!

The best masks I've found for doing this so far are:
Ultimate Mask
Pincer Mask
Acorn Mask
Gag Gagwa

Pincer and Acorn Mask are good because their rage ability is "rapid attacks" just like the Ultimate Mask. However, the Ultimate Mask is invincible during its attack spree, so it gets a lot of hits in without problem. The downside of the Ultimate Mask is that it rarely gathers or dances, only has 1 ability (AFAIK), and the user always dies. So, the Ultimate Mask is better for "burst" periods or bosses that kill the Shakalakas anyway (Ivory Lagiacrus, for example), while the default masks are recommended otherwise. Gag Gargwa also has "rapid attacks" as its base ability, but I haven't messed with it a lot because the mask honestly freaks me out.

Anyone have any experience with these setups? I'd love to share info.

Can you heal the Ultimate Mask user during his health degen state?

Ultimate Mask with Slime attack is hardcore. So many times a monster is charging my ass to just blow up out of nowhere and flip over. Sometimes I think Kayamba is stronger than me.

I don't really worry about keeping the little guys up, though. Cha-Cha's on nulberry mask just to gather stuff for me.

I never would have even given Ultimate mask a shot and stayed on double gatherer if you weren't forced to use it. Then I saw what it did.

shocking.gif

Fewr

Had my first fight against Brachydios. Carted 1 2 3 times, game over. I was close to victory though, I chopped tail, and damaged both arms. I'm sure next time I'll be victorious.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Had my first fight against Brachydios. Carted 1 2 3 times, game over. I was close to victory though, I chopped tail, and damaged both arms. I'm sure next time I'll be victorious.

First time with Brachy is tough. I was online with GAFers for my first fight with him and carted twice, then just said "eff it, I'm not game overing all you guys" and went around mining for charms and stuff.

Fewr

Question: should I just leave the area during its rage mode? I avoid most of the attacks, but I'm thinking it might be best to not bother.

Sleep Attack on the minions is hilarious. All the little monsters sleeping around the map...

Question: should I just leave the area during its rage mode? I avoid most of the attacks, but I'm thinking it might be best to not bother.
Either be super pro, or do what I do and item him out.
1) Have Kayamba with the Pitfall Mask, and trap him.
2) Flash Bombs! Nearly all monsters spam their tail swipe when flashed, and Brachy's sucks. He just spins around not hitting anything.

I basically use traps and bombs when he's enraged, and he calms down eventually.

NeoRausch

ah, I've missed something.

did ask quests in 9* offline and got a green checkmark.

now what?

only thing missing are two chakala masks.

edit:
BTW, where can I get acetylene excellent meat?

I brought down my first Gold Rathian after a second try. Almost looked like the bitch just wouldn't die. I used all my potions and learned I can't use Pitfall traps in the area.

But in the end I got her.

ah, I've missed something.

did ask quests in 9* offline and got a green checkmark.

now what?

only thing missing are two chakala masks.

I think we need to finish ALL of the village missions before the true final quests.

Top Bottom