• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
<3

HR65 I believe, but I love helping out (and getting help) with whatever quests from 3 to G. I've only played in GAF rooms a handful of times but everyone's always been nice and fun to be around. If we can manage to line up the time zones we should definitely play a couple rounds together. ^^

Sounds fantastic. I only recently picked up the game, so my foray into High Rank is still in its infancy. I'm really looking forward to getting deeper in.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kinda hit a wall in single player... with that wall being C-Wordeus (five star) and Jhen Moron (eight star), so I'm tackling Tanzia solo. Wanna go online but finding time is hard. =/

I feel like I might be petering out after just hitting 100 hours... Might be time to finally dive into LM2 to give myself a break.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Give yourself a week or two off from the game - it's what I did. Didn't want to burn myself out since I'm just about to cross the 300 hour mark.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan then. I feel like a Luigi traitor for neglecting him for so long. :(

Not to mention HarmoKnight...

Too many effing games came out last two months. =/

Depends on the stats. What do you have? Also, group or solo?

Solo Hammer.
Huracan Blueblaze, 1092 raw, 220 fire, 5% affinity
vs
Dios Tailhammer+, 1092 raw, 240 slime, 0% affinity

I just did 3 Ivory Lagiacrus with the fire hammer. 10 mins, 10 mins, 7 mins. Feels like fire hammer is faster.

No sapphires.....(i only farm with Lucky Cat or Ultra Lucky Cat)

Just got two 7-star commodities from killing an Ivory Lagiacrus. You already know what that means.

FULL GUILDIE SET BITCHES AWW YEAH

Dark skinned, light skinned, Asian and White women
Hypebeasts we know aboutchea'
Don't buy shoes unless they popula'
For the hoes, my nigga
That's pussy popping at Magic City
Got that strong, my nigga
Then come match that shit with me

L Thammy

Good hunting MiniBoss, taybul, riposte, and Hattori!
Riposte, high rank is a low rank. ...relative to G rank.

Hattori, I've hunted with you before, right? I can never remember your GAF name.

Kinda hit a wall in single player... with that wall being C-Wordeus (five star) and Jhen Moron (eight star), so I'm tackling Tanzia solo.

You mean you're trying to grind them? Rule of thumb: if it's not fun, do something else.

Hattori, I've hunted with you before, right? I can never remember your GAF name.

You mean you're trying to grind them? Rule of thumb: if it's not fun, do something else.
GG Thammy.

I thought low rank was 1-4
high rank is 5-6
grank is 7 and beyond.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yeah, Hattori hunted with you and I when I was working on my LR Barroth gear.

I'm just doing some solo farming right now, but I might hop on later tonight to do some key quests in HR3. Would love to play with GAF!

GG Thammy.

I thought low rank was 1-4
high rank is 5-6
grank is 7 and beyond.

According to the game, LR is 1-2, and HR is 3-6, but I'm sure veterans dispute that.

I can now say I own Diablos, after spending a couple of days farming for hardhorns (got one, need another). But how the actual _fuck_ do you reliably avoid Black Diablos's burrow attack? Sometimes it doesn't give any hints whatsoever before suddenly buttsexing a major chunk of my health away. Or it will rumble right under me for a tremor-stun combo as I'm frantically running in a random direction. This has to be the cheapest shit in the game.

On the bright side, I now have the Pale Kaiser GS. It hits... hard. Now I just need to gather and assemble my dream Crit Draw + Quick Sheathe + Focus set. And an evasion LS set (hello Narga). And possibly a hammer set. And...

Hattori

Banned

now you will, you have witnessed my amazing kicking power xD

thetrin

Thammy just meant to say high rank feels like low rank when you're used to g rank. He didn't mean it literaly.

Oh, I know that. I was just replying specifically to MiniBossBattle.

Still plodding through my solo playthrough. Had my first ever triple cart on the 2 Brachy's in the tundra G-rank. Damn them.

Currently I have to do Rathalos + Leno in the Volcano, but am putting it off, going to be a pain.

I'm also feeling everyone else's pain regarding Rath Mantles. :(

ryz

Finally tried Mark of a Hero again (and succeeded). Wasn't as bad as i remembered the last time i tried, especially when playing it save (and packing a lot of health items/traps).

Alatreon on the other hand really kicks my ass :/

Mupod

Man I wish I'd kept track of which large monster rewards I'd gotten from moga woods hunting. I know for sure I still need Barroth, Plesioth and Gobul but I've only ever seen one of those show up (and it gave me nothing).

I've killed so, so many qurupecos. It seems like those are the only things that ever show up in the forecast so it's become a ritual to blow Peco away and wait for other shit to spawn.

One nice thing is that as a side effect of my moga woods genocide I've got basically unlimited regular commodities now. Which means infinite pitfalls and sonic bombs. It would take me hours just to trade all these glittering scales and mystic narwhals, I suppose that's a fault of the shitty trade UI though.

I did get a random Lagi followed by Ivory Lagi last run. Finally got the 7* scale off the latter, too. HBG just obliterates them, I'd try it out on the event I.Lagi but I'm not a fan of being one shotted. Maybe I can work Guts onto one of my sets. I can't remember, does it work every time you take a hit that'd bring you from 60% to 0 or only once per mission?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I have a regular 3DS without a circle pad pro, I am absolutely loving MH3U but it hurts my hands to play because I can't get a good grip on the 3DS. So what I'm asking is, would the circle pad pro provide comfort as well as utility?

Also I'm not very far, about 4 hours in almost done with the 2 star quests i've mostly been screwing around figuring out what weapons I enjoy using, so far I am in love with the switch axe. Is there anything that is easy to miss that I should look out for?

Hoodbury

You guys should all ask Haunted to tell the tale of the "Legendary Jaggi". The tale is as grand as the village chief's accounts with Ivory Lagi. We had no idea Jaggi had a subspecies. The 3 of us others in the room were all busy taking out Volvi and Haunted was off on his own taking care of Jaggi but it turned out to be "Legendary jaggi" instead of the normal Great Jaggi.

I can only imagine based on the results of the fight that it must have looked like a Savage jho on steroids. I hope someday I'll get Legendary Jaggi to spawn.

So I just learned about VE Tickets as a way to get some more difficult things I've been trying to farm. Unfortunately I only play with my fiance (3DS). Reading the faq here it seems that I need a VE Silver Ticket.

Now, it says to get silver I need to "Clear 200 different quests". Does this mean 'different' as in unique or can I repeat quests? It doesn't seem like there are that many? And this is just so I can start receiving silver cards? Or the person I'm with receives them because of me? (I'm a lot further in the game than her).

This is the part I do not understand:
"You get 2 VE Tickets for every multiple of 20000 HRP, and 1 VE Ticket Deluxe for every multiple of 100000 HRP
For every multiple of 25 unity level, you will recieve a VE ticket. It rotates as follows: Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Cosmic -> Bronze
Unity level goes up by based on the quest's HRP/2/1000"

What is 'unity level'? And HRP is XP I start receiving or can look at once I do what? I'm on 6* village quests and we're still on 2* multiplayer quests.

So I have a regular 3DS without a circle pad pro, I am absolutely loving MH3U but it hurts my hands to play because I can't get a good grip on the 3DS. So what I'm asking is, would the circle pad pro provide comfort as well as utility?

Also I'm not very far, about 4 hours in almost done with the 2 star quests i've mostly been screwing around figuring out what weapons I enjoy using, so far I am in love with the switch axe. Is there anything that is easy to miss that I should look out for?

Yes, extremely more comfortable. The one thing I would recommend in the early days is to learn a weapon and start leveling up the farm and fishing boats when that comes available, I kind of skipped this stuff and could have had a ton of resources and money.

Ridley327

So I just learned about VE Tickets as a way to get some more difficult things I've been trying to farm. Unfortunately I only play with my fiance (3DS). Reading the faq here it seems that I need a VE Silver Ticket.

Now, it says to get silver I need to "Clear 200 different quests". Does this mean 'different' as in unique or can I repeat quests? It doesn't seem like there are that many? And this is just so I can start receiving silver cards? Or the person I'm with receives them because of me? (I'm a lot further in the game than her).

This is the part I do not understand:
"You get 2 VE Tickets for every multiple of 20000 HRP, and 1 VE Ticket Deluxe for every multiple of 100000 HRP
For every multiple of 25 unity level, you will recieve a VE ticket. It rotates as follows: Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Cosmic -> Bronze
Unity level goes up by based on the quest's HRP/2/1000"

What is 'unity level'? And HRP is XP I start receiving or can look at once I do what? I'm on 6* village quests and we're still on 2* multiplayer quests.

Yes, extremely more comfortable. The one thing I would recommend in the early days is to learn a weapon and start leveling up the farm and fishing boats when that comes available, I kind of skipped this stuff and could have had a ton of resources and money.

Unity level can be checked on the guild card itself; it's on the first page.

HRP is silently accumulated until you remove the limit by completing the 8-star urgent quest in Tanzia (Dire Miralis), which will allow you see the amount of experience you're getting and have gotten., so if you're still on 2-star, you've got quite a ways to go.

Fistwell

Unity level is a number that goes up when you tackle a quest together with someone who's received your guild card. You can check what your unity level is on the first page of your guild card, top right corner.

HRP I assume is hunter rank points. You receive a number of those for most quests you tackle. As far as I know, these points are hidden from you until you beat miralis. Once you have beaten miralis, your hunter rank is determined not by which is the last urgent quest you cleared, but based on the numbers of hunting rank points you've accrued so far. In addition, you're told explicitly of how many points you've earned at the end of a quest, and of what your total is.

So, since you're HR2 right now, to be able to see what your HRP total is, you only got 6 urgent quests to go! Godspeed you crazy carnivorous fish you! :D

Edit: aaaaaaaand beaten with a stick.

Unity level can be checked on the guild card itself; it's on the first page.

HRP is silently accumulated until you remove the limit by completing the 8-star urgent quest in Tanzia (Dire Miralis), which will allow you see the amount of experience you're getting and have gotten., so if you're still on 2-star, you've got quite a ways to go.

Unity level is a number that goes up when you tackle a quest together with someone who's received your guild card. You can check what your unity level is on the first page of your guild card, top right corner.

HRP I assume is hunter rank points. You receive a number of those for most quests you tackle. As far as I know, these points are hidden from you until you beat miralis. Once you have beaten miralis, your hunter rank is determined not by which is the last urgent quest you cleared, but based on the numbers of hunting rank points you've accrued so far. In addition, you're told explicitly of how many points you've earned at the end of a quest, and of what your total is.

So, since you're HR2 right now, to be able to see what your HRP total is, you only got 6 urgent quests to go! Godspeed you crazy carnivorous fish you! :D

Edit: aaaaaaaand beaten with a stick.

LOL, dang. A long way to go. So much for hoping to have a full Rathalos set to ease me into the higher rank.

Thanks for the info!

Quick edit grasping at straws:

In this:

Guild card color/type --------------------Rank up requirements
Flesh --------------------------------------- Starting guild card
Wood --------------------------------------- Clear 30 different quests
Ore ------------------------------------------ Clear 50 different quests
Green --------------------------------------- Clear 100 different quests
Bronze -------------------------------------- Clear 150 different quests
Silver ---------------------------------------- Clear 200 different quests
Gold ----------------------------------------- Clear 230 different quests
Purple and Gold (Rainbow) ---------- Clear 250 different quests, and complete the 8* Tanzia quest "Black Flame of Calamity" (Dire Miralis)

It mentions that for Purple and Gold I need to complete the Tanzia Quest 8*, so does that mean I could still get a silver without being up that high? *crosses fingers*

I don't know, you could always get it the old fashion way.

Oh trust me, I've almost become a Rathalos expert. I'm thinking of starting a refuge.

Fistwell

It mentions that for Purple and Gold I need to complete the Tanzia Quest 8*, so does that mean I could still get a silver without being up that high? *crosses fingers*
Yes, I've gotten silver tickets way earlier than the 8* urgent. That being said, as a rule of thumb, I think I've always gotten whatever items I could procure with a ticket way ahead of time of getting one such ticket. I think they're more meant as a convenience than as a way to progress in terms of equipment ahead of time, if that makes any sense.

Yes, I've gotten silver tickets way earlier than the 8* urgent. That being said, as a rule of thumb, I think I've always gotten whatever items I could procure with a ticket way ahead of time of getting one such ticket. I think they're more meant as a convenience than as a way to progress in terms of equipment ahead of time, if that makes any sense.

Cool, I'll have to see, I am having terrible luck with the drops. Thinking of just skipping it altogether as it's starting to feel like farming in WoW did (which burnt me out on an otherwise enjoyable game).

taybul

Good show. One thing I learned was you have to roll to shake off slime; the dual sword dodge is not enough. It's why I was darting all over the place trying to get it off.

Fistwell

Cool, I'll have to see, I am having terrible luck with the drops. Thinking of just skipping it altogether as it's starting to feel like farming in WoW did (which burnt me out on an otherwise enjoyable game).
Yeah I wouldn't get too hanged up on sets at this point, you're still "pretty early" all things considered, there's (some) more content to see and (many) more challenges to overcome! Lots (-ish) to see, lots to do! :D

Any Gaffers wanna play now? I have a room set up in Free C>Lobby 9, usual password.
Gonna drop by, you still out there?

Edit: welp, guess not, some other time then.

Defunkled

Yeah I wouldn't get too hanged up on sets at this point, you're still "pretty early" all things considered, there's (some) more content to see and (many) more challenges to overcome! Lots (-ish) to see, lots to do! :D

Gonna drop by, you still out there?

Edit: welp, guess not, some other time then.

Had to sign off for a bit, my bad!

Haunted

Mini Uragaan quest?

Mini Uragaan quest.

IT'S SO CUTE I WANNA DIE (&#4326;&#728;&#8995;&#728;&#4326;)

You guys should all ask Haunted to tell the tale of the "Legendary Jaggi". The tale is as grand as the village chief's accounts with Ivory Lagi. We had no idea Jaggi had a subspecies. The 3 of us others in the room were all busy taking out Volvi and Haunted was off on his own taking care of Jaggi but it turned out to be "Legendary jaggi" instead of the normal Great Jaggi.

I can only imagine based on the results of the fight that it must have looked like a Savage jho on steroids. I hope someday I'll get Legendary Jaggi to spawn.
You son of a...

That Jaggi still had some Deviljoe between its teeth. Probably its breakfast or something. And it was big! Like, this big! *vague hand motions indicating impossibly large size*

You son of a...

That Jaggi still had some Deviljoe between its teeth. Probably its breakfast or something. And it was big! Like, this big! *vague hand motions indicating impossibly large size*

I think I've met that Legendary Jaggi before. Looked somewhat like this:
Deviljhaggi.png

I call it Deviljhaggi.

i just got the full rathian X set and about to get spectral demolishers.. just need the 4 allfire.. i'm HR 6 need to rank up and farm ore in volcano in G rank.

Lovin the game!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57032368]Just got two 7-star commodities from killing an Ivory Lagiacrus. You already know what that means.
[/QUOTE]
I killed a Nargacuga, Ivory Lagiacrus, and Brachydios in a row, and got JACK SHIT. -_-
I hate Wyvern Gold.

Qurupeke

I'm sorry about Mini Uragaan. So awesome. And its tail is cuttable! Best monster ever. On five hunts, I got 4 uragaan pallium and 1 ruby. I love it. We need a mini Jhen Mohran too.

Top Bottom