• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Fistwell

I have a question about forging armor sets. I have played for ~30 hours, but besides forging the initial jaggi set, I haven't bothered farming other monsters enough to make other sets jet.

It seems a bit tedious(?) to forge them all, so which sets should I go for (two or three) to compliment my upgraded jaggi armor?
I'd say keep trucking till you run into serious problems (likely to happen around the end of low rank, early high rank at the latest), upgrade your weapons instead.

Had a HR 64 and an HR 6 randomly come in the lobby my brother and I always use (15-3). It made our HR 2 missions last 7 minutes instead of the 30-40. Absolutely amazing for ranking up and farming love of that mid level gear.

Not sure why they came in. Maybe to craft lower level weapons that would upgrade to something nice?

Either way, good stuff.

Had a HR 64 and an HR 6 randomly come in the lobby my brother and I always use (15-3). It made our HR 2 missions last 7 minutes instead of the 30-40. Absolutely amazing for ranking up and farming love of that mid level gear.

Not sure why they came in. Maybe to craft lower level weapons that would upgrade to something nice?

Either way, good stuff.

Probably to help. I was an endgame tank in WoW for many moons and would randomly pug, I usually didn't require much healing so even weaker players could heal me and the run would go super fast. I didn't need anything, I just knew it was impossible to find a decent tank at the time.

There are nice people out there!

I started with MHT, so I can't comment beyond this: did the game actually get easier, or did you just learn how to play the game, and those skills carried over? I gave this game to my FPS-maniac brother-in-law with HR Helios armor in MHT, and he died twice to LR Barroth. Barroth died with about 2 minutes left on the timer. I laughed hard.

It was definitely harder. There were no companions like Cha Cha in MH1, you could only get armor skills from certain complete sets of armor and there were fewer skills, there were no decorations. There was also a larger emphasis on gathering quests like wyvern eggs and they were a lot harder because they'd fill the whole map with bullfangos and have large monsters chasing your ass everywhere, even following you up cliffs and taking potshots at you. You couldn't get multiples from combining, you couldn't use items with SnS out. There was also no felyne kitchen or farm.

That said, the game was broken and you could chain reels together until a monster died if you had a really strong lance or greatsword. I think they actually increased monster aggressiveness in MH2 after they removed that.

Probably to help. I was an endgame tank in WoW for many moons and would randomly pug, I usually didn't require much healing so even weaker players could heal me and the run would go super fast. I didn't need anything, I just knew it was impossible to find a decent tank at the time.

There are nice people out there!

Seems believable, but he stuck around for like 15 fights or so. Kind of surprised is all.

Maybe I'll pay it forward...

edit : I did spank him in arm wrestling lol. STILL UNDEFEATED!

also

Banned
When they steal my shock trap, it gets personal. The monster can wait until I murder and skin that little asshole. (oh, if only I could murder and skin them)

Day 3 of Diablos farming. Still need one hardhorn. Getting tired of seeing my greatsword whiff straight through the tail.

What quests are you doing?
You should try doing the port Lv 7 advanced quest called Plain Dangerous where you have to hunt a Sand Barrioth and a Black Diablos. You get 2 5% chances to get a Hardhorn in the rewards + the usual 7% chance if you break both of Black Diablos' horns (it's 5% for regular diablos).
If that quest is not available, there are 3 other Port Lv. 7 advanced quests you should do:
-Death's Embrace; 2 Black Diablos'
-Diablos Three; 3 Diablos'
-Tyrant Terror; Diablos + Black Diablos

Monsters are weaker on quests where you have to fight more than one.

If none of those quests are available, just reload the game.

taybul

When they steal my shock trap, it gets personal. The monster can wait until I murder and skin that little asshole. (oh, if only I could murder and skin them)

Day 3 of Diablos farming. Still need one hardhorn. Getting tired of seeing my greatsword whiff straight through the tail.

I remember that you could carry some item that the Melynx will always take. I think it was felvine or something.

CPCunha

Do you guys farm charms? i'm a 8 star village and i've just started doing some volcano runs.
How to improve my success rate HunterGAF?

What are some good ways to generate resources? I've had to do regular woods runs because I used all mine on honey.

Just call me Pooh Bear

images

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What are some good ways to generate resources? I've had to do regular woods runs because I used all mine on honey.

Just call me Pooh Bear

images

As you progress, you'll be able to convert more and more items to resources. For instance, I have over 100 Lava Nuggets (Uragaan, Agnaktor drops) and they convert to 1,500 resource points each. Far better better than being stuck fighting monsters in the woods.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
each rarity upgrade will give you more defense. Each set also gives you different boosts. Some are weak and strong against different elements.

I generally take one "good" set and upgrade it to the max per level. I think once the monsters start getting hard, it might call for more sets for specific bonuses.

Well, go take a look at some of the sets you can craft, look at their skills and what kind of skills you like and which would suit your playstyle. The Jaggi armour is a nice entry level set, but there are much better and more useful sets out there, you might feel yourself outclassed once you enter High Rank. The game's clever in giving you the monster's set to look at once you've hunted one and acquired its materials.

Hmm, ok. I play as a blade master (dual blades), and I see that the Jaggi armor set is pretty weak against fire, and neutral towards everything else. So maybe a good fire resistant set next then? Rathian?

I'd say keep trucking till you run into serious problems (likely to happen around the end of low rank, early high rank at the latest), upgrade your weapons instead.

Ok. Rank is based on mp missions, right? I'm about to finish the Level 4 village guild quests. :/ It's working out alright with the jaggi set so far, anyway. Though I need to bring some potions now.

Did you guys bother to finish the village guild quests before starting the "real" HR missions?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there a better wiki for MH than the piss poor MH Wikia? I've been trying to find a more comprehensive one, specifically for weapons and armor.

What quests are you doing?
You should try doing the port Lv 7 advanced quest called Plain Dangerous where you have to hunt a Sand Barrioth and a Black Diablos. You get 2 5% chances to get a Hardhorn in the rewards + the usual 7% chance if you break both of Black Diablos' horns (it's 5% for regular diablos).

Hmm yeah, I forgot about those quests... probably because my subconscious is trying to bury Black Diablos and her cheap no-warning underground tricks into the deepest pits of hell. I'll give it another shot, thanks.

Fistwell

Ok. Rank is based on mp missions, right? I'm about to finish the Level 4 village guild quests. :/ It's working out alright with the jaggi set so far, anyway. Though I need to bring some potions now.
You are doing low rank village quests right now. As you continue progressing, you will reach high rank village quests, the last low rank quest is
ceadeus
, first high rank quest is
purple ludroth
. From that point onward, most low rank armor will be a little weaksauce and you'll want to get some high rank armor.

There's a similar progression online/in mp/in port tanzia, from low rank, to high rank, but this time with the additional G rank.

Needing to bring some potions is normal. "Trouble" would be burning through most of 10pots, 10 mpots, 10 honeys, 10herbs+bshrooms, and/or getting one, two or three-shotted. More or less.

There's no rule as to when or how much to grind for armor. I just think that, if I were you, I'd keep going a little bit more before I'd bother. Especially if you can comfortably tackle quests with just a few pots.

DaBoss

Is there a better wiki for MH than the piss poor MH Wikia? I've been trying to find a more comprehensive one, specifically for weapons and armor.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55688764&postcount=36

Try Athena's Armor Set Search or MHDex.

This has been getting better and better, there are no weapon images at the moment, and it looks garbage on my mobile browser, but I go here all the time now.

http://kiranico.com/

EDIT: crud, no armor info though. You could try this calculator:

http://mhag.info/mhtriu/main.htm

Kiranico should be updated soon to include armor sets, I imagine the site owner is getting that ready next. It is using the database that MHDex uses, so implementation isn't far away.

Any recommendations for getting my brother to stop using bows and sword + shield? Bows tend to be better in 4p lobbies but don't seem very well suited for 2p.

It would be nice to have help breaking parts for specific drops :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I'm looking for something web-based specifically. I need to be able to use it on iOS, OSX and Windows. That's why I said wiki. (Also, I don't want to clutter my gaming PC up with random exes whose function could be done entirely via a web application)

It astonishes me that MH would have such a worthless wikia. Of all the games out there, you'd think it would be actually useful.

Kiranico is damn well designed, though. That's really nice, but yet again it's missing most of the information I need. Why does no one catalog the mats for each forging? I just want to have that next to me while I play, so I know what I still need to farm.

DaBoss

Wow, thanks for compiling that list.

No prob.

I'm looking for something web-based specifically. I need to be able to use it on iOS, OSX and Windows. That's why I said wiki. (Also, I don't want to clutter my gaming PC up with random exes whose function could be done entirely via a web application)

It astonishes me that MH would have such a worthless wikia. Of all the games out there, you'd think it would be actually useful.

Kiranico is damn well designed, though. That's really nice, but yet again it's missing most of the information I need. Why does no one catalog the mats for each forging? I just want to have that next to me while I play, so I know what I still need to farm.

There's the MH3-Ultimate Wiki site, but it uses the Japanese names.

You're probably gonna have to wait for Kiranico to update to suit your needs. I love that site.

L Thammy

Mark of the Hero attempt #3 and #4 ended in failure again, still can't kill that damned Ivory Lagiacrus. It's driving me crazy.
There's two things that are getting me.

1. When it's in rage mode, sometimes it'll very quickly charge forward after doing an attack. This is totally my fault: if I sheathe too quickly then he might attack during that animation.

2. When it's close to death (it seems that way, anyhow) it can kill me with one enraged hipcheck. If I'm lucky, I can roll and block. If I'm not, I get hit when I try to roll to the side. I have Evade +1 but it still manages to hit me. Can't figure this move out.

thetrin

No prob.

There's the MH3-Ultimate Wiki site, but it uses the Japanese names.

You're probably gonna have to wait for Kiranico to update to suit your needs. I love that site.

It's aesthetically well designed, and I'm sure they'll eventually have a pretty comprehensive list eventually. I'll just remain patient!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mark of the Hero attempt #3 and #4 ended in failure again, still can't kill that damned Ivory Lagiacrus. It's driving me crazy.
There's two things that are getting me.

1. When it's in rage mode, sometimes it'll very quickly charge forward after doing an attack. This is totally my fault: if I sheathe too quickly then he might attack during that animation.

2. When it's close to death (it seems that way, anyhow) it can kill me with one enraged hipcheck. If I'm lucky, I can roll and block. If I'm not, I get hit when I try to roll to the side. I have Evade +1 but it still manages to hit me. Can't figure this move out.

I. Lagi isn't even the tough part in my opinion. He's pretty easy to down if you're careful. It's Brachy and Los that present the real challenge. And they make me waste a lot of Flash Bombs. :(

L Thammy

Hmm, ok. I play as a blade master (dual blades), and I see that the Jaggi armor set is pretty weak against fire, and neutral towards everything else. So maybe a good fire resistant set next then? Rathian?

Generally, blademaster armour is geared towards defense (because you'll be hit by non-elemental melee attacks) and gunner armour is geared towards resistance (because they'll be hit by elemental ranged attacks).

I think a good early Dual Swords set is Ludroth. It lowers the stamina drain when you're in Demon mode.

However, I mainly used Jaggi sets for well over 150 hours. Not a DS user, but it's a useful set in general.

I. Lagi isn't even the tough part in my opinion. He's pretty easy to down if you're careful. It's Brachy and Los that present the real challenge. And they make me waste a lot of Flash Bombs. :(

Hopefully I'll get to judge that for myself. I've grinded dual Diablos for their armour in Tri without using dungbombs, so I think I'll have the two-monster tactics down. I don't expect a lot out of Los, and Brachy's not too bad once you get him down... but I can imagine getting trapped between them and the wall a lot.

also

Banned
Hmm yeah, I forgot about those quests... probably because my subconscious is trying to bury Black Diablos and her cheap no-warning underground tricks into the deepest pits of hell. I'll give it another shot, thanks.

That's why you bring Cha Cha and Kayamba; 2/3 chance to not get hit! You can also superman dive and hope she emerges while you are invincible.

For me it was the opposite. I. Lagi was really tough and Brachy and Los went down much quicker (they seem to have really reduced health). Just let Brachy do the dirty work for you.

Schuhu

Neo Member
I jumped straight from HR 8 to 54.

"Here is your unlimited HR ticket."

"So you finally hit HR 15, take these blueprints for gonggirl's hammer"

lol

Fistwell

I step out 1min to download mini ura for everyones enjoyment and boom, room full. ;~;

Oh well, fuck it, I'll go play peggle instead or some shit.

Any recommendations for getting my brother to stop using bows and sword + shield? Bows tend to be better in 4p lobbies but don't seem very well suited for 2p.

Are you a hammer user?

Yes- He should use switch axe (easy to reach cutting?) or Greatsword (draw skills, more easy to reach cutting)

No- Hammer. Exhaust and KOs help your cuts become way easier to perform.

Arveene

Neo Member

It really depends on what you're using. If you can get tails with your weapon I don't see why Bow wouldn't work out. If you're using a hammer, then yeah bow wouldn't work out . Heck if you're using a hammer, SnS should be fine for cutting a tail. Edit: I duo G-rank all the time with a friend of mine who uses the bow. Our completion times are usually no more than 10 min on most quests.

:eek:

MonHun GAF is vicious in filling up rooms. Could always open another one...

I think I was the one who filled that room. They explained the situation and I left and made another. No one has joined yet though ;_;

thetrin

Man, I absolutely love Zinogre's design. It might be my favorite monster design in the series.

Haunted

Beats just had to go, so a slot opened up in the GAF Platinum room, just saying...

Man, I absolutely love Zinogre's design. It might be my favorite monster design in the series.
Not only the looks, its movement and animations are also pretty cool. One of the most fun fights in the game.

Beats

yep, this Gold Chordmaker hunting horn was totally worth making. Makes fighting Gigginox and Lucent Nargacuga much easier.

thetrin

Beats just had to go, so a slot opened up in the GAF Platinum room, just saying...

Not only the looks, its movement and animations are also pretty cool. One of the most fun fights in the game.

I'm using a fire longsword right now, but I'm tempted to build a Zinogre set for HR. Beautiful design, razor sharp and gloves off. Might build a lightning long sword just so I can enjoy the lightning attack buff. Still toying around with that.

Just grabbed this game for 3DS. Can't wait to start it up! I only dabbled with MHFU so I am pretty much new to this.

the only question I have is about the charm tables, there are cursed ones? do I need to even look out for that or just go for it?

thanks everyone.

DaBoss

I'm using a fire longsword right now, but I'm tempted to build a Zinogre set for HR. Beautiful design, razor sharp and gloves off. Might build a lightning long sword just so I can enjoy the lightning attack buff. Still toying around with that.

G-Rank Zinogre is the best. It has glowing braces.

Just grabbed this game for 3DS. Can't wait to start it up! I only dabbled with MHFU so I am pretty much new to this.

the only question I have is about the charm tables, there are cursed ones? do I need to even look out for that or just go for it?

thanks everyone.

Read up about Charm Tables here:
http://club1kjho.forumotion.com/t313-everything-about-charm-tables-with-step-by-step-video

In short, it would benefit you if you want to maximize an armor set.

Mupod

yep, this Gold Chordmaker hunting horn was totally worth making. Makes fighting Gigginox and Lucent Nargacuga much easier.

im working on mine right now. Silly me sold all my small goldenfish before I knew they were used in that weapon, though, so it'll be a while.

anyways I'm glad I went online 'cause I got a moonshard off that lucent narga. I've been meaning to pick up SA and now I can make his. Gotta cook dinner and watch video game wrestling though.

Let him use what he wants.

Maybe convince him to use a paralysis or slime SnS / bow.

Top Bottom