• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Andrin

Dude you got the worst luck. You DC'd no more than 1 or 2mins before we finished it. I'm taking a break for dinner, I'll be back in a few.

I know. I decided not to abandon the quest and managed to finish it myself. Got a Dragonsphire out of it too! ;)

Sorry Toshi, but I'm not really sure what are you asking? :D

I'll be on in about an hour so I'll jump into one of the rooms =)

When I was looking into the armor sets I saw like Barroth U. So I was wondering if all armor has a + or U set.

Edit: LOL I was asking because I was making Low Rank armor just to collect it all.

Don't bother collecting low or high rank armors, just make few that will help you go through those ranks. Once you hit G you won't use them at all.

Haunted

When I was looking into the armor sets I saw like Barroth U. So I was wondering if all armor has a + or U set.

Edit: LOL I was asking because I was making Low Rank armor just to collect it all.
The U and Z armours are for subspecies sets in HR and G-Rank, like Jade Barroth.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's "Yo Jho", thank you very much.

I might hop on this afternoon to play. Probably going to farm Zinogre for armor. My Wroggi S is getting long in the tooth. Anyone up for that?

Thanks. I'm determined to get one this coming week.

I'll join you. I need a Brachy gem to upgrade my slicers.

Yes, and capturing always gives you 3 rewards (unless you have Capture Pro/Expert), while you can sometimes carve more than 3 times. Nevertheless, I prefer capturing myself because you usually get a higher chance at the rarer items and you can end the quest faster.

Use Monster Hunter Dex to determine if it's better to kill or capture.

Thank you. Don't forget the nice bonus for breaks and cuts though. Well it always seems to give more when I break and cut their special parts more.

I'm eating Buffalo wings and this piece reminded me of barroth's scalp, coverd in fertile ranch.

Haunted

Fun hunts with Arveene, Setveen, Khory, Finn and Beje!

Special shoutout to Setveen's quest for a simple Nightmarish Maw while everyone else got like 10 of them. The densire sensor is a cruel mistress. ;_;

I think I have enough Gigginox stuff to make most of its equipment now. >_>

Fun hunts with Arveene, Setveen, Khory, Finn and Beje!

Special shoutout to Setveen's quest for a simple Nightmarish Maw while everyone else got like 10 of them. The densire sensor is a cruel mistress. ;_;

I think I have enough Gigginox stuff to make most of its equipment now. >_>

I hate everything about gigginox

Haunted

poor Gigginox

gigginox_edited_by_cherryblossom1996-d2yjcrg.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
poor Gigginox
It's not like I want to poison you or anything....baka hunter!

I'm cooking dinner for the week right now, but I'll be on later for Zinogre farmi. Looking forward to making that sweet looking set.

Well, it's a toss up between Rath Soul and Zinogre. What say you, GAF?

Haunted

Never mind, you were right, I need a 2 week break after all that farming I think.
Told you!

Either really take a break or do some fun casual stuff with other GAFers to rekindle your love. Tediousness coupled with frequent failure is a killer for any sort of motivation or enjoyment.

It's not like I want to poison you or anything....baka hunter!

I'm cooking dinner for the week right now, but I'll be on later for Zinogre farmi. Looking forward to making that sweet looking set.

Well, it's a toss up between Rath Soul and Zinogre. What say you, GAF?
If you go for looks, Zinogre all the way. I've just made the Stygian set and it looks great.

My favourite looking sets in the game are Joe and Bari G-Rank, so classy.

thetrin

Told you!

Either really take a break or do some fun casual stuff with other GAFers to rekindle your love. Tediousness coupled with frequent failure is a killer for any sort of motivation or enjoyment.

If you go for looks, Zinogre all the way. I've just made the Stygian set and it looks great.

My favourite looking sets in the game are Joe and Bari G-Rank, so classy.

Yeah, for me, it's a split between looks and useful skills. Gloves off seems useful, and I can upgrade the def to make me not completely fall apart heading into G Rank.

Or should I be doing early G Rank farming for armor?

My Wroggi S armor upgraded is equivalent to base Zinogre def, so it would be stupid for me not to make a set and outfit it with new gems and upgrades.

I also got a Goldbeard gem when I defeated him the other day. Is that used in his armor or his weapons?

Haunted

Yeah, for me, it's a split between looks and useful skills. Gloves off seems useful, and I can upgrade the def to make me not completely fall apart heading into G Rank.

Or should I be doing early G Rank farming for armor?

My Wroggi S armor upgraded is equivalent to base Zinogre def, so it would be stupid for me not to make a set and outfit it with new gems and upgrades.

I also got a Goldbeard gem when I defeated him the other day. Is that used in his armor or his weapons?
Well, like you're saying, early G-Rank and late High Rank armours are on similar defense levels, but you should be looking out for G-Rank armour that interests you heading into HR6 and beyond. Upgraded Zinogre should do nicely for those 6* quests, though.

He drops both Deep and Dark Dragongems, so depending which you got they're used for different armour pieces and his weapon [upgrades]. Kiranico has expanded to include most of the item and monster info now, so that's a great resource to look this stuff up. :)

Talking about things that make you want to stop playing, I just learned I need some High Rank Jhen Mohran materials for a certain Longsword because the goddamn Joe Sword doesn't have Dragon Element without Awaken. ;_;

*shoots self*

thetrin

Well, like you're saying, early G-Rank and late High Rank armours are on similar defense levels, but you should be looking out for G-Rank armour that interests you heading into HR6 and beyond. Upgraded Zinogre should do nicely for those 6* quests, though.

He drops both Deep and Dark Dragongems, so depending which you got they're used for different armour pieces and his weapon [upgrades]. Kiranico has expanded to include most of the item and monster info now, so that's a great resource to look this stuff up. :)

Talking about things that make you want to stop playing, I just learned I need some High Rank Jhen Mohran materials for a certain Longsword because the goddamn Joe Sword doesn't have Dragon Element without Awaken. ;_;

*shoots self*
Yeah. I just want some armor that will serve me well for HR6 and farming armor I will be going onward with. If Zinogre lasts me up until whatever G Rank armor I want to make, that would be perfect.

For hammer users, do you find it difficult to do a pound to the head? Seems like very little opportunity. I only KO him once during my first fight with him.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For hammer users, do you find it difficult to do a pound to the head? Seems like very little opportunity. I only KO him once during my first fight with him.

Some monsters can be a pain because of their height, but usually, no I don't have any issues. Even in a large party, most people will know to let the hammer / hunting horn users at the head. You don't always have to super pound, although you should be trying to get plenty of those in. The golf swing at the end of the basic combo will deal a lot of KO damage too.

Which one were you specifically having trouble with?

Boogiepop

Oh man, unlocked Mark of a Hero and it just obliterated me. To be fair I wasn't playing great and forgot to eat any food before taking it, but I didn't even make it past the Ivory Lagi. Even his little walk cycle hit was taking about a third to half of my life. Ugh. So yeah, I guess I'll grind for some better armor before trying to finish off the single player.

Also, at about 75 hours in, I have finally discovered that I can do the Hunters for Hire thing. To be fair, it doesn't seem to have great payoff, but any extra source of G rank monster parts is a plus.

Oh man, unlocked Mark of a Hero and it just obliterated me. To be fair I wasn't playing great and forgot to eat any food before taking it, but I didn't even make it past the Ivory Lagi. Even his little walk cycle hit was taking about a third to half of my life. Ugh. So yeah, I guess I'll grind for some better armor before trying to finish off the single player.

Also, at about 75 hours in, I have finally discovered that I can do the Hunters for Hire thing. To be fair, it doesn't seem to have great payoff, but any extra source of G rank monster parts is a plus.

I like sending the hunters for hire to do G rank gathering at the volcano, 50% of the time i'll get a tru armor sphere

Top Bottom