• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Nah both skills from scratch. The set I currently have has

Honed blade (sharpness+1, attack up L)
Razor sharp
Evade +1

Trying to decide if I want to put in the work to make one with

Artillery expert
Sharpness+1
Razor sharp
Evade +1

Basically if artillery expert won't outdamage AUL significantly then I won't bother, but I'm trying to figure out the optimal setup.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In a little bit, I'm going to open a room to do some Zinogre farming. I need that second Jasper...

How do I beat Jhen Mohran? Should I focus on shooting him or meleeing him (with a long sword)? He always destroys the ship a little after the 5 minute warning.

Haunted

I got a room up in the usual 3-9 if people are up for g rank shenanigans. i promise not to ragequit this time lol
loool

We assumed you did. :p

Razor sharp
Evade +1

Artillery expert
Sharpness+1
Razor sharp
Evade +1

Basically if artillery expert won't outdamage AUL significantly then I won't bother, but I'm trying to figure out the optimal setup.
Does Artillery Expert actually increase Gunlance shot damage compared to Novice? I read that Expert only affects Cannon and Ballista dmg. Atk Up (L) lets you use the set with various weapon types for more versatility, so there's that.

As far as straight up dps go, I actually don't know which would be better, but I usually go with Artillery as it's easier to gem in.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so what's the gimmick with the survive against Peco quest? I thought I'd be a smartass and just go wait in a zone he can't fly to, but then when time ran out it said I failed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have all the parts for the Zinogre faulds except the jasper. Damn you jasper, damn your drop rate! *cry*

Everything else is made and being worn, and once I get the jasper, I can even upgrade the shit out of my gear to deal with G Rank.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Friggen Rathian Plate. All I need is that damn plate and I have a set of HR Rath gear. Want my damn plate.

EDIT: bullshit, I'm out of firestones as well. gonna need to find a quick and easy way to farm those.

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I've just reached the part where I need to assemble the new encampment after killing the Lagiacrus, and I'm really starting to get into it. I farmed up a full set of Rathian armor, I finally upgraded my Pecospander to the + model, and the sense of escalating power is fantastic. Great Ja/Wro/Baggis have become nearly as harmless as their respective underlings.

That said, I still feel like a total noob and there are a few questions that I was hoping GAF could answer:

1. Hammers are awesome, but it's my understanding that they lack the ability to remove tails and stuff. Do they get something to make up for the reduced drops?
2. Is the Lance's charged up-thrust(R+A) worth using?
3. Ranged weapon attributes seem a hell of a lot more complicated than melee ones. Are there any particular specs to look for?
4. Is there any incentive to make a new character? I kind of want to play around with the different Talisman sets, but it seems like there's no other way to mix things up.
5. How are quest rewards decided? Sometimes I get a full line of monster parts, and sometimes I only get like four.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does Artillery Expert actually increase Gunlance shot damage compared to Novice? I read that Expert only affects Cannon and Ballista dmg. Atk Up (L) lets you use the set with various weapon types for more versatility, so there's that.

As far as straight up dps go, I actually don't know which would be better, but I usually go with Artillery as it's easier to gem in.
Ya, artillery novice is a 10% increase for shell/wyvernfire, expert a 20% increase. Someone did some calculations for me and apparently AUL is better for the most part. Or I could just get both and get rid of the evade+1, but that's too scary ( つ Д `)

This is my first Monster Hunter game. I've just reached the part where I need to assemble the new encampment after killing the Lagiacrus, and I'm really starting to get into it. I farmed up a full set of Rathian armor, I finally upgraded my Pecospander to the + model, and the sense of escalating power is fantastic. Great Ja/Wro/Baggis have become nearly as harmless as their respective underlings.

That said, I still feel like a total noob and there are a few questions that I was hoping GAF could answer:

1. Hammers are awesome, but it's my understanding that they lack the ability to remove tails and stuff. Do they get something to make up for the reduced drops?
3. Ranged weapon attributes seem a hell of a lot more complicated than melee ones. Are there any particular specs to look for?
4. Is there any incentive to make a new character? I kind of want to play around with the different Talisman sets, but it seems like there's no other way to mix things up.
5. How are quest rewards decided? Sometimes I get a full line of monster parts, and sometimes I only get like four.

4. No reason to make a second character unless you want both male and female to rock different looking armor sets. One character can wear any armor and use any weapon. You can save armor sets for quick equipment changes so you can just have one armor/talisman/gems saved in one slot and another setup saved in a different slot.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
1. There are certain parts that only break with impact damage as well, such as barroth's head. Either way missing one or two drops isn't a huge deal.

2. It is NOT worth using, despite the final stab finisher on it being the lance's single most powerful strike, the continuous hits during the charge are VERY weak and absolutely destroy your weapon's sharpness at a much higher rate than regular stabs. In multiplayer it also sends people flying so it has nearly no redeeming qualities. The two instances you would want to use it in are to get around quickly underwater with it, or to charge a fleeing monster maybe.

3. Not sure what you mean by specs but generally the only basic things you have to know about are the ammo types for bowguns or charge shot types for bows, lots of information on the net or you could ask specifics.

4. Only if you landed on a cursed charm table maybe. Most of the good charm tables are versatile enough that you won't need to worry about variety too much for normal play. And if you're going to spend a few hundred hours on the game, it's nice to build up one character.

5. Lucky cat, ultra lucky cat, whether you break monster parts, and capturing instead of killing all increase the number of quest rewards.

Lizardus

For Lance, is it better to have more raw or element?

Sol Prominence (575 Raw 420 Fire) vs Soul of Prominence (621 Raw 250 Fire)

Stygian Ira ( 598 Raw 280 Drg) vs Skysunderer ( 552 Raw 320 Drg)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't R+A the counter move with the lance? It's pretty useful I find.
Oh whoops, misread that as the running charge.

The normal counter thrust is very worth using. The charged one does good damage, but only a little more than 2 regular high stabs. Use at your own discretion.

For Lance, is it better to have more raw or element?

Sol Prominence (575 Raw 420 Fire) vs Soul of Prominence (621 Raw 250 Fire)

Stygian Ira ( 598 Raw 280 Drg) vs Skysunderer ( 552 Raw 320 Drg)
In general raw is better, but since lance is a high hitting-rate weapon, element is more useful on it than other weapons. Idk the formula offhand but the element modifier and enemy elemental defense modifiers are a lot higher than the raw modifiers. So a certain amount of element damage is worth less than the same amount of raw on a weapon.

In your situation I would choose the sol prominence and the stygian ira.

4. No reason to make a second character unless you want both male and female to rock different looking armor sets. One character can wear any armor and use any weapon. You can save armor sets for quick equipment changes so you can just have one armor/talisman/gems saved in one slot and another setup saved in a different slot.
1. There are certain parts that only break with impact damage as well, such as barroth's head. Either way missing one or two drops isn't a huge deal.

2. It is NOT worth using, despite the final stab finisher on it being the lance's single most powerful strike, the continuous hits during the charge are VERY weak and absolutely destroy your weapon's sharpness at a much higher rate than regular stabs. In multiplayer it also sends people flying so it has nearly no redeeming qualities. The two instances you would want to use it in are to get around quickly underwater with it, or to charge a fleeing monster maybe.

3. Not sure what you mean by specs but generally the only basic things you have to know about are the ammo types for bowguns or charge shot types for bows, lots of information on the net or you could ask specifics.

4. Only if you landed on a cursed charm table maybe. Most of the good charm tables are versatile enough that you won't need to worry about variety too much for normal play. And if you're going to spend a few hundred hours on the game, it's nice to build up one character.

5. Lucky cat, ultra lucky cat, whether you break monster parts, and capturing instead of killing all increase the number of quest rewards.
Thank you both. I'll definitely be putting together a new hammer then. And never needing to make a new character is really convenient, but still a bit disappointing.

Isn't R+A the counter move with the lance? It's pretty useful I find.
I appreciated the forward charge rundown(since I've been using it a ton), but yeah, R+A is something else. Derp, didn't realize it was a counter. I'll have to play around with it.

thetrin

You could trade a gold ticket with the Misty Peaks Veggie Elder for a Jasper.
Oh gotcha. Yeah, sadly I only have 2 regular tickets.

Just got back from the gym. Chilling for a bit, but I'm gonna make a room a bit later to farm Zinogre for jasper. Must...make...faulds...

Lizardus

Oh whoops, misread that as the running charge.

The normal counter thrust is very worth using. The charged one does good damage, but only a little more than 2 regular high stabs. Use at your own discretion.

In general raw is better, but since lance is a high hitting-rate weapon, element is more useful on it than other weapons. Idk the formula offhand but the element modifier and enemy elemental defense modifiers are a lot higher than the raw modifiers. So a certain amount of element damage is worth less than the same amount of raw on a weapon.

In your situation I would choose the sol prominence and the stygian ira.

What? those two choices contradict each other.

Beats

I appreciated the forward charge rundown(since I've been using it a ton), but yeah, R+A is something else. Derp, didn't realize it was a counter. I'll have to play around with it.

Also, the counter may not work if the knock back from the attack is too much. You'll still block it though.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What? those two choices contradict each other.
The 170 extra fire and extra sharpness on the sol is better than the 46 extra raw on the soul assuming the monster is weak to fire, while the only 40 extra dragon is not better than 46 extra raw on the second pair.

Just think of it as raw having more "weight" than element, but if you have a large amount of element (say a couple hundred extra), especially on high hit-rate weapons like lance/gl/ds/pierce bows, it becomes more worthwhile than a small (50-70) raw increase

Alrus

So after burning out a bit on the game I decided to start again. Moving up high rank village quests. Still not really sure what bow I should aim for so I'll just keep upgrade my Queen Blaster and Lagi Bow (forgot the name). The P ludroth set is pretty great.

Can't seem to find a decent water bow, the ludroth one is kind of shitty and the Ceadeus ones has really mediocre coatings :/

So after burning out a bit on the game I decided to start again. Moving up high rank village quests. Still not really sure what bow I should aim for so I'll just keep upgrade my Queen Blaster and Lagi Bow (forgot the name). The P ludroth set is pretty great.

Can't seem to find a decent water bow, the ludroth one is kind of shitty and the Ceadeus ones has really mediocre coatings :/

Try the one made out of bamboo. I forget its name. Fully upgraded it has a very high water element.

Lizardus

The 170 extra fire and extra sharpness on the sol is better than the 46 extra raw on the soul assuming the monster is weak to fire, while the only 40 extra dragon is not better than 46 extra raw on the second pair.

Just think of it as raw having more "weight" than element, but if you have a large amount of element (say a couple hundred extra), especially on high hit-rate weapons like lance/gl/ds/pierce bows, it becomes more worthwhile than a small (50-70) raw increase

Ah ok, thanks

Lizardus

Silver Tickets? Explain!

When you exchange guild cards through streetpass/WiiU and quest with them, your Unity goes up (seen on the guild card). The elder in port will randomly give out tickets after questing which you can trade with the veggie elder in quests for rare items. What I do is send out my guild card everytime I enter a new room.

Hattori

Banned
Silver Tickets? Explain!

If you've been questing with the same people, you should have receive a VE ticket. They range from bronze-silver-gold-cosmic, you can trade these for rare mats like mantles, rubies, or gems. As for what you need, a silver ticket traded to the veggie elder will get the plate you want. Sandy Plains VE = Rath plate// Deserted Island = Los plate

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When you exchange guild cards through streetpass/WiiU and quest with them, your Unity goes up (seen on the guild card). The elder in port will randomly give out tickets after questing which you can trade with the veggie elder in quests for rare items. What I do is send out my guild card everytime I enter a new room.

If you've been questing with the same people, you should have receive a VE ticket. They range from bronze-silver-gold-cosmic, you can trade these for rare mats like mantles, rubies, or gems. As for what you need, a silver ticket traded to the veggie elder will get the plate you want. Sandy Plains VE = Rath plate// Deserted Island = Los plate

Bah, looks like all I can do is farm for now :(

vareon

Ya, artillery novice is a 10% increase for shell/wyvernfire, expert a 20% increase. Someone did some calculations for me and apparently AUL is better for the most part. Or I could just get both and get rid of the evade+1, but that's too scary ( つ Д `)

Artillery Expert also decreases Wyvern Fire's cooldown by 30 seconds, which is a nice bonus. I rarely use WF in hectic times though.

Kandinsky

So 3DS solo players are screwed? lol.

There's still streetpass on the 3DS. Besides, nothing like the good old farming can't get you...at least it grinds you HR levels at the same time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is a joke, I have 3 rubies now...

EDIT: I have enough mats to make a P.Rath armor now, but I'd still need that plate...

I searched and didn't find anything, I hope this hasn't already been posted, buuttttt....I found a MH app for iOS devices. ONLY iOS it seems for now, sorry Droids ;_; but this app seems pretty all right...searchable items/weapons/etc, with searches that show all relevant info about any item, interactive maps, all sorts of fancy goodness. It costs 1.99, but I gladly picked it up. Now, some of it isn't fully translated to English, but it's a small amount. I don't feel it is a definitive guide either, but using it with Brady's digital guide and the magic of the interwebs, it has helped a good bit. It definitely serves as a fast searchable offline database.

The Hunter's Assistant

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hunter-assistant-for-mh3u/id560844406?mt=8

I also feel I have to say I didn't make it, nor do I know the creator, or anything of the like. I just saw the app, bought it, and am enjoying it so far.

That all said, I just hit HR6 on 3ds with my buddy. Right when I thought I was about to maybe take a teensy break from MH, I get G rank. Then that desire sensor started blaring. Mainly for everything I *could* soon have. It almost feels like I started the game from the beginning again, only not! It has made me oddly extremely excited...!

GAAAHHHH I LUV MoHUN

Kyzon

Razor sharp
Evade +1

Artillery expert
Sharpness+1
Razor sharp
Evade +1

Honed Blade @_@

What armor has that?

Top Bottom