• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Lizardus

Helios Cap X
Helios Mail Z
Helios Vambraces X
Helios Coil X
Helios Greaves X
-----------------
+5 Handicraft ---
-----------------
3x Evasion Jewel 2
1x Evasion Jewel 1
1 slot spare

This will give me HG Earplugs, Sharpness+1, Evasion+1, Partbreaker and Awaken but I'll need to use a 2 slots weapon until I can find the +5 Handicraft charm with 2 slots which my table (6) has.

Atleast this gives me something to work towards.

Mileena

Banned
For hammer users, do you find it difficult to do a pound to the head? Seems like very little opportunity. I only KO him once during my first fight with him.

I used to have a tough time, but as you get more familiar with monsters it becomes second nature. Evasion +2 helps a lot too as it allows me to get away with a lot more #yoloswag420superpound behavior. Certain monsters I just won't fuck with on hammer anymore though like Plesioth, Jho and all the boring big scale cinematic monsters

Lizardus

I used to have a tough time, but as you get more familiar with monsters it becomes second nature. Evasion +2 helps a lot too as it allows me to get away with a lot more #yoloswag420superpound behavior. Certain monsters I just won't fuck with on hammer anymore though like Plesioth, Jho and all the boring big scale cinematic monsters

Oh shit ninja what are you doing? You can roll through everything with Evasion+1.

Damn it...I meant Stygian Zinogre! Hits to the head on the Stygian Zinogre!

I hammer EVERYTHING...including Plesioth, Jho, Goldbeard Ceadeus, etc.

Arveene

Neo Member
Fun hunts with Arveene, Setveen, Khory, Finn and Beje!

Special shoutout to Setveen's quest for a simple Nightmarish Maw while everyone else got like 10 of them. The densire sensor is a cruel mistress. ;_;

I think I have enough Gigginox stuff to make most of its equipment now. >_>

Sorry I left so suddenly there. I wasn't watching the time and had to leave. Those were some good / fun hunts!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's only an extra 2 frames but it can make a difference from just a timing perspective. It's noticeable whenever I switch between +1 and +2

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
So the demo for this on my 3DS confused the hell out of me. Does the full game have a decent tutorial or anything? Also, the font is kinda wonky, is it the same in the full game?

So the demo for this on my 3DS confused the hell out of me. Does the full game have a decent tutorial or anything? Also, the font is kinda wonky, is it the same in the full game?

I play on the 3DS as well. The Monster Hunter series has always have a high learning curve. But the full MH3U game does quite a good job of introducing the game to you. When I started back in Monster Hunter Freedom 2, it took me 5-6 hours learning curve to get into the game. But damn, it was worth it!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I play on the 3DS as well. The Monster Hunter series has always have a high learning curve. But the full MH3U game does quite a good job of introducing the game to you. When I started back in Monster Hunter Freedom 2, it took me 5-6 hours learning curve to get into the game. But damn, it was worth it!

Do you play with the CPP? I don't have/want one so I would be playing without it. Still fine?

I play without the CPP. I'm doing fine. Villlage Quest 9 and HR7 all solo.

I just got to Dire Miralis. Time to solo it. Is this guy difficult to solo?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also on 3DS and without a CCP, only problem I've had is with underwater controls, but managed to adapt eventually.

Edit - certain things like multiple long backhops with gunlance in different directions is difficult without the CCP though, and I consider it a slight disadvantage.

I play without the CPP. I'm doing fine. Villlage Quest 9 and HR7 all solo.

I just got to Dire Miralis. Time to solo it. Is this guy difficult to solo?
If you have a good dragon element weapon it's not terribly difficult, but very tedious if you intend to farm it.

Lizardus

Is your charm table linked to being able to get Ancient Weapons? I've been trying get the Lance (Skysundere) for over 100 attempts and I have multiples of every other worn weapon except the lance.

this shit is frustrating.

It's only an extra 2 frames but it can make a difference from just a timing perspective. It's noticeable whenever I switch between +1 and +2
The only thing I 100% put Evasion +2 on is the Lance, because the hop doesn't go very far. Otherwise, Evasion +2 is kind of like Speed Sharpener. Awesome if I can get it, not a big deal if I can't.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alright! I'm on, and I'm totally down for some Zinogre farming! :D

Making a room. Free C, Lobby 9, regular pass.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I 100% put Evasion +2 on is the Lance, because the hop doesn't go very far. Otherwise, Evasion +2 is kind of like Speed Sharpener. Awesome if I can get it, not a big deal if I can't.
Yeah I use it on gunlance since it allows me to do delayed sidesteps

It changes my behavior when I only have +1 though since there's certain attacks that I'll block instead of dodge

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just met a wonderful gentleman who came into my game to tell me that my weapon was useless, and then left.

Yes, thank you, fine sir. That's why I made this room to farm things!

I just met a wonderful gentleman who came into my game to tell me that my weapon was useless, and then left.

Yes, thank you, fine sir. That's why I made this room to farm things!

Is your weapon a pineapple?

I bet it is.
I'm just playing since that Gaffer posts here often

Fistwell

Also, at about 75 hours in, I have finally discovered that I can do the Hunters for Hire thing. To be fair, it doesn't seem to have great payoff, but any extra source of G rank monster parts is a plus.
There're some mats you can only get from them. If you want to craft the specific sets using these mats you kinda have to use that system (there are not many of them though).

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY MOLEY YESSSS

2 days of charm sniping later and I finally got sharpness +5 edgemaster +3

(´・ω・`) now I can start working on dual sword runs on s.zin

Finally managed to solo Dire Miralis. Took me about 30+ mins.

Now my HR rank jumped to HR31!

Took me almost 140 hours of MH3U, including Village Quest and Guild Quest!

Time to farm HR levels!

Had quite a productive weekend

Battled Steel Uragaan 25 times till he gave me his gem. Oddly enough, I switch to a S&S the last fight as it was the only weapon I had with white sharpness that could hurt his chin for the drop bonus. Took almost twice as long to kill him, but I finally got it to finish my armor for my gun lance.

Got up to G rank online. Got the "ending" in 1p mode, but still have to go back through to get Mark of the Hero.

Farmed Deviljho offline and got his fight down to about 11 minutes using 2-3 potions on average. Finished his armor set off. Couldn't resist Reptile from MK winning the WWE belt :)

Upgraded my Brachy GL to devastator, but now trying get Brachy's Pallium to finish it.

I'm a few fights off of getting the full Nargacuga armor set (HR). Got his fight just under 9 minutes with the gunlance.

Haunted

Is your charm table linked to being able to get Ancient Weapons? I've been trying get the Lance (Skysundere) for over 100 attempts and I have multiples of every other worn weapon except the lance.

this shit is frustrating.
With my excruciatingly bad luck getting the Worn Gunlance (but every other worn weapon just fine), I wondered the same thing, but everything I looked up online just points to rotten luck.

There are only charm tables without Ancientshards altogether, so if you're getting Ancientshards, you're good to go... supposedly.

You can try using the hammer. Level 3 charge can hit uragaan's chin even with green sharpness.

I believe you are actually referring to the great sword, no?

I was using that for a bit but found my run times were increasing by too much as I'm not as seasoned with a great sword as some of the other melee weapons.

taybul

I believe you are actually referring to the great sword, no?

I was using that for a bit but found my run times were increasing by too much as I'm not as seasoned with a great sword as some of the other melee weapons.
No, hammer's level 3 charge hit has innate Mind's Eye (ie, it won't bounce).

There are only charm tables without Ancientshards altogether, so if you're getting Ancientshards, you're good to go... supposedly.

I know we've already been through this with charm tables but if there's actually a table where you can't get shards at all, that's just pure bullshit.

Are you talking about the spin move?

I'm more versed with hammers than GS so I will go that route next time. I really want to get better with the great sword. Lvl 3 charge just feels so good.

Mupod

Are you talking about the spin move?

I'm more versed with hammers than GS so I will go that route next time. I really want to get better with the great sword. Lvl 3 charge just feels so good.

Super pound does not bounce. Neither does the spin, or the partial charge uppercut.

Steel's chin is tough but it will break before the end of the fight with a hammer, although just super pounding it will take forever. I highly recommend bombing the chin, catch him in a shock trap and put some large barrel bomb+ down. Combine for more and do it again.

The thing about the chin is it takes low damage before it's broken, but becomes a weak point once it is. So you super pound and bomb until it breaks, then pitfall him or KO so you can go to town on it with triple pounds. Always capture Uragaan if you want gems/palliums.

I know we've already been through this with charm tables but if there's actually a table where you can't get shards at all, that's just pure bullshit.

I believe there's one where you can't get rusted fragments, which are those things you get from the fishing fleet that are used for the Artian set. Back before release this got purple-monkey-dishwashered somewhere and everybody thought that meant rustshards/ancient shards. Oddly enough, the Artian set is far more useful than (most) ancient shard weapons, so there you go.

Super pound does not bounce. Neither does the spin, or the partial charge uppercut.

Steel's chin is tough but it will break before the end of the fight with a hammer, although just super pounding it will take forever. I highly recommend bombing the chin, catch him in a shock trap and put some large barrel bomb+ down. Combine for more and do it again.

The thing about the chin is it takes low damage before it's broken, but becomes a weak point once it is. So you super pound and bomb until it breaks, then pitfall him or KO so you can go to town on it with triple pounds. Always capture Uragaan if you want gems/palliums.

I eventually got one through capping him.

I've read online that for Deviljho gems and Brachy palliums that you should actually carve them so that's what I switched to.

I usually cap everything, but have since switched to that for those particular drops

Fistwell

So, bows...

Saw some dude using a bow the other day on Jhen, it looked awesome. Tried to look it up in the forge, but it wasn't craftable directly. The closest to it would be the black blos bow, but that's not it. It's black, looks more angular than the diablos bow (doesn't look like it's made from a horn), and I think it had a roman numeral on it, "IV" maybe? Anyone would know which bow that would be? Or alternately, anyone know of a good bow gallery? Or alternately to the alternative, what would be a fun bow for a bow beginner (bow-ginner)? Finally, could someone point me to that guide someone posted in one of the OTs?

Thanks bow-GAF.

Kyzon

That was really great night, lots of luck with drops, some good quests and fun company ;)

Great hunts. I can't believe I got 3 Brachy Gems off that one run, then Rath Rubies.

Gafluck is best luck.

So, bows...

Saw some dude using a bow the other day on Jhen, it looked awesome. Tried to look it up in the forge, but it wasn't craftable directly. The closest to it would be the black blos bow, but that's not it. It's black, looks more angular than the diablos bow (doesn't look like it's made from a horn), and I think it had a roman numeral on it, "IV" maybe? Anyone would know which bow that would be? Or alternately, anyone know of a good bow gallery? Or alternately to the alternative, what would be a fun bow for a bow beginner (bow-ginner)? Finally, could someone point me to that guide someone posted in one of the OTs?

Thanks bow-GAF.

Was it the Hidden bow? Those are blackish, and pretty nice.

For a beginner bow, I'd say go with the Bamboo one. You can use Poison, Para, and Sleep coatings on it, and it has a focus arc which rains down the shot in a particular area.

I'd say practice on a slightly larger monster on a lower than normal rank at first to get used to the arc shots and all of the other thing.

Also if you're charging an arrow and you need to dodge, hit the A button while charging and you'll roll.

thetrin

Hahah, I finally built my Zinogre gear, and I realized I only had one Zinogre Jasper, rather than 2. Welp, time to start farming for that Jasper!

And then after that, it's time to farm for new dual blades.

So, bows...

Thanks bow-GAF.

Absolutely love site that was posted some pages back

http://club1kjho.forumotion.com/t467-everly-s-weapon-trees

could it be the gold beard bow?

Hattori

Banned
Lucent Narga, (Rust)Duramboros, I. Lagi are the only ones that I got tired of farming physically and mentally. It's not even the Mantles for I. Lagi, it's the sapphires that burned me out.

Arveene

Neo Member
I eventually got one through capping him.

I've read online that for Deviljho gems and Brachy palliums that you should actually carve them so that's what I switched to.

I usually cap everything, but have since switched to that for those particular drops

Yeah, that's true. Lucent Narga should also be carved for Moonshards. Raths and Lagi should be capped for their gems / mantles.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think I should use, attack up large or artillery expert?

Assuming I'm using a gunlance with long lvl 5 shells, which are decently strong, and the strongest wyvern fire type.

Edit - In this case AUL adding 46 attack and artillery expert 20% damage to shelling/wf

Arveene

Neo Member
What do you guys think I should use, attack up large or artillery expert?

Assuming I'm using a gunlance with long lvl 5 shells, which are decently strong, and the strongest wyvern fire type.

Well, do you already have AuM and Arty Novice? Are you just trying to decide on which to boost 5 points?

Top Bottom