• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone up for some G-rank quests?

Made a room in 3/9, usual GAF password.

I'd be down to do some HR6 key if possible.

EDIT: I'm getting an error when I try to join. Can you remake?

EDIT 2: Judging by the error code, it's a network issue. God knows why. I've never had that trouble before. I'm going to power cycle my modem, and check the Wii U network settings. I have no problem joining any other game. Just passworded games maybe? Not sure what is up.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Hello Mon Hun Gaf, looking for a bit of advice. I am due to come in to possesion of a shiny 3DS XL and 3 Ultimate in a couple of weeks. I just purchased and read at length a beginners guide and have read a lot of forums in an effort to prep myself for hunting.

I have got Freedom Unite installed on my Vita but never got round to starting it. Am I better to wait until I get Ultimate and start fresh on that version or would I be better to start a file on Freedom Unite and try and get down some fundementals? Are there any major differences between the two games aside from 3's underwater combat and additional weapon options?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Doesn't 3U work with the CC Pro, though?

To answer your question, Hunt, Freedom Unite is a great way to get acclimated to the pacing and concept of Monster Hunter in general. I find a lot of people going into it cold kinda don't "get it" at first, and a lot of stuff seems like an uphill battle for them.

If nothing else, Freedom Unite will make for a great primer, and you'll be able to test out some of the beginner guide tips, such as paintballing, keeping stamina up, and combining.

Monster Hunter Lore In 1 Minute: http://youtu.be/gs3OBVds78M xD

Hello Mon Hun Gaf, looking for a bit of advice. I am due to come in to possesion of a shiny 3DS XL and 3 Ultimate in a couple of weeks. I just purchased and read at length a beginners guide and have read a lot of forums in an effort to prep myself for hunting.

I have got Freedom Unite installed on my Vita but never got round to starting it. Am I better to wait until I get Ultimate and start fresh on that version or would I be better to start a file on Freedom Unite and try and get down some fundementals? Are there any major differences between the two games aside from 3's underwater combat and additional weapon options?
Lots of gameplay improvements, it's a new generation after all.

And if you start a MH game now, you won't be done with it in at least two months, so I would wait for MH3U.

Kyzon

Just did Mark of a Hero on my first try. Shit was intense when I did brachy and los. Brachy destroyed los with his running punch attack.

I did it with lvl 1 G gear, and will never do it again, lol.

Anyways, anyone want to play? I feel like doing some down to earth hunting now.
Aletreon can wait.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

I'm of the opinion that monster hunter is a series like fighting games or annual shooters. Once the latest and greatest comes out you won't want to go back to an older iteration simply because the mechanics and features have been updated/balanced/improved.

Freedom unite is one of the best entries in the series with the most content (more than mh3u), but it takes hundreds of hours to actually access all of that content.

It's really up to you. The tutorial in mh3u is quite nice, but a bit too long, so if you spend a lot of time getting used to mhfu you might find yourself getting tired of all the unskippable tutorial messages. If you want to get some mileage out of mhfu though, it's now or never because going back to the psp's hitboxes and simpler weapon mechanics will be difficult once you're used to mh3u.

Just did Mark of a Hero on my first try. Shit was intense when I did brachy and los. Brachy destroyed los with his running punch attack.

I did it with lvl 1 G gear, and will never do it again, lol.

Anyways, anyone want to play? I feel like doing some down to earth hunting now.
Aletreon can wait.

Im down, i got a room up at freeC-9 usual pass, if anyone wants to play

thetrin

Im down, i got a room up at freeC-9 usual pass, if anyone wants to play
Would love to do HR6 key if you all are up for it.

EDIT: Opened a GAF room. Regular place, regular pass (I don't see your room)

Boo, first I missed my usual Monday hunting and now it looks like I'll be missing tonight as well because of stuff. I'll be on Friday as usual though.

thetrin

Well, thanks for the help on the first 2 HR6 quests, guys. Also got my Bombardier gemmed up as well. Looking forward to finishing HR6 soon. I might hop on later tonight to play more, if anyone is around. Mileena, come join me then if you're free. :D

I am usually not interested in Monster Hunter, yet.

But I just saw this video:
LORE - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Lore in a Minute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs3OBVds78M

I assume the music in the video is from the game, and I lvoe it.

What are stand out tracks from the series?

Aside from the opening theme, the game doesn't have much music. There's a brief musical intro the first time you enter a new environment, but then it fades out to environmental sounds, like birds and water and such. However, when a major monster appears, its theme music then plays for the battle and the themes are great. Do a little youtube searching for the game's themes to find some good, mostly battle music.

Ultratech

Fully restores any red portion of your health bar. Super sexy. Too bad you can only carry 5.

Also increases Health Regeneration for a limited time. (i.e. The speed of recovering the red part of your health.)
It works pretty similar to Immunizer but with the added effect of recovering the red part of your health.

Very useful though. I've been keeping a full stock since I found out about them.

I am usually not interested in Monster Hunter, yet.

But I just saw this video:
LORE - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Lore in a Minute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs3OBVds78M

I assume the music in the video is from the game, and I lvoe it.

What are stand out tracks from the series?

Most of the standout tracks for me are the various battle themes, but you'd have to look a bit for some of them.
Here's a few of my faves:

Kushala Doara's Theme
Ukanlos's Theme
Zinogre's Theme (One of the best, IMO)
Alatreon's Theme (Ultimate Judgment)
Lao Shan Lung (Another of my personal favorites.)
Fatalis Theme

thetrin

Enough of this music talk! I wanna kill (or cap) some beasts!

Anyone up for some HR6 key quests in a bit? Would love to test out my new bombardier skill with my slime blades.

EDIT: Lobby up, regular place, no pass

thetrin

Got a room with randoms in Free A, Lobby 4 that could use one more, if anyone wants to join. Doing G rank HR6 quests.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
They really, really, need to do something about monsters casually walking beyond the edge of a zone. It's something that has been pissing me off since the first MH I played! I'd be focused on the fight, following a wyvern around a zone, and in the middle of a perfect combo BAM rezoned.

Anyhow, I need a memory refresher: Capturing a monster when the mission is a hunt is acceptable, correct?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Thanks.

In other news: Rathalos Plate
Bo8vQcj.png

Capped my first Jho. Carted twice and took 30 mins to get him limping. Gleefully followed him to the next area and planted a trap. He leaps into the air to pin me down AND step on the trap at the same time. He just stood there getting shocked while I was pinned by thin air.

Soooo glad I still had enough time to unpin and tranq him.

Fewr

They really, really, need to do something about casually walking beyond the edge of a zone. It's something that has been pissing me off since the first MH I played! I'd focused on the fight, following a wyvern around, and in the middle of a perfect combo BAM rezoned.

Anyhow, I need a memory refresher: Capturing a monster when the mission is a hunt is acceptable, correct?
I hate it when Qurupeco stays at the edge of the zone spamming songs and I can't reach him because I change zones when I try.

Capped my first Jho. Carted twice and took 30 mins to get him limping. Gleefully followed him to the next area and planted a trap. He leaps into the air to pin me down AND step on the trap at the same time. He just stood there getting shocked while I was pinned by thin air.

Soooo glad I still had enough time to unpin and tranq him.

You need to bring dung bombs. If he pins you down, you can use a dung bomb and get him off of your instantly

MH3U is my first foray into the world of MH and so far I'm having a blast. I've logged about 25 hours so far, still working through the 4 star village quests, and I think I'll at least try to finish up the 5 star ones before heading online. Any chance I'll be able to play with some GAF-bros in the not too distant future or will I need to get up to the G-rank stuff before that's really an option? I know a lot of people say MP is MH's bread and butter so I'm curious to see what it's all about (eventually).

Kuntz

MH3U is my first foray into the world of MH and so far I'm having a blast. I've logged about 25 hours so far, still working through the 4 star village quests, and I think I'll at least try to finish up the 5 star ones before heading online. Any chance I'll be able to play with some GAF-bros in the not too distant future or will I need to get up to the G-rank stuff before that's really an option? I know a lot of people say MP is MH's bread and butter so I'm curious to see what it's all about (eventually).

I love playing low rank with people new to the game, it's full of fun and surprises !

Haunted

You need to bring dung bombs. If he pins you down, you can use a dung bomb and get him off of your instantly
Wait, you can dung bomb when you are pinned yourself? This fucking game.

Hundreds of hours with this fucking series and I still don't know shit (har har).

You can play with GAFers at any point. :D We're a helpful bunch and most have no problem playing with hunter of all ranks. Just be prepared that your LR/HR stuff will go by pretty quickly. :D :D

Haunted

They really, really, need to do something about casually walking beyond the edge of a zone. It's something that has been pissing me off since the first MH I played! I'd focused on the fight, following a wyvern around, and in the middle of a perfect combo BAM rezoned.
Monsters spawn within the loading zone when they switch zones, while you spawn a couple meters in.

If they aren't capable or willing to get rid of these fucking zones altogether, it should at the very least be reversed. Monster spawns a couple meters in, you spawn at the edge so you can at least move forward towards the play area proper immediately.

And don't get me started on the invisible walls and clipping and PS2 level collision detection between monsters and the world, it's just completely shit.

/rant

tuffy

I kinda like when monsters back up into the zone entrances. They can't dodge left or right, so I move a little out of their attack range and empty all my bowgun shells into them until they decide to go somewhere else. It's almost as good as having them completely immobilized.

Haunted

And to be fair, abusing bad game mechanics is what Monster Hunter is all about. (Take every advantage you can get is a good Hunter's mantra).

Wait, you can dung bomb when you are pinned yourself? This fucking game.

Hundreds of hours with this fucking series and I still don't know shit (har har).

don't feel too bad. while this is the first monster hunter i've played, i didn't learn that till about 100 hours in. i saw someone do it in a youtube video against deviljho.

i also read it in the manual after the fact. they tell you specifically to use dung bombs.

but i know, right. who actually reads the book?

Haunted

don't feel too bad. while this is the first monster hunter i've played, i didn't learn that till about 100 hours in. i saw someone do it in a youtube video against deviljho.

i also read it in the manual after the fact. they tell you specifically to use dung bombs.

but i know, right. who actually reads the book?
Well, I knew you can use dung bombs on the monster when someone else is pinned, it just never occurred to me that you could do it yourself while you were pinned (probably because you can't use items).

I probably remembered wrong but I couldnt use dung bomb since Jho wasnt in his pinning position. My hunter was just writhing on the ground by himself as if still pinned.

Kandinsky

Currently the 3 save slots are being used on my copy of the game by family members, we're thinking in getting 2 more 3DS/games, question: is there a way to transfer the other 2 saves to the new 3DSs?.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If you can,trade a veggie elder ticket silver to the veggie elder in the deserted island(zone 4,in the Melynx HQ),you'll get one.

Here's the list of other useful items you can get from him:
=> http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster...list-of-village-elder-ticket-trades-mh3u?pg=1
Ah, thanks, but how do you get a VE Silver Ticket in the first place? Don't you need to play online or something? If so, I'm waaaaay behind on that requirement.

Monsters spawn within the loading zone when they switch zones, while you spawn a couple meters in.

If they aren't capable or willing to get rid of these fucking zones altogether, it should at the very least be reversed. Monster spawns a couple meters in, you spawn at the edge so you can at least move forward towards the play area proper immediately.

And don't get me started on the invisible walls and clipping and PS2 level collision detection between monsters and the world, it's just completely shit.

/rant

fiGpZKK.jpg

Rize_21

Ah, thanks, but how do you get a VE Silver Ticket in the first place? Don't you need to play online or something? If so, I'm waaaaay behind on that requirement.

Hmm yup!it's either that or doing Marina's solo quests iirc.
The master's guild begins to give it once you're clearing the high rank quests,it's related to the Hunter Rank points you'll earn(no idea how many,though).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Hmm yup!it's either that or doing Marina's solo quests iirc.
The master's guild begins to give it once you're clearing the high rank quests,it's related to the Hunter Rank points you'll earn(no idea how many,though).
This is what I get for ignoring the guild for the sake of the village. Hrm.

Top Bottom