• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
NEVER MIND! Just carved the plate from the tail.

x0UMpZg.gif

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
don't feel too bad. while this is the first monster hunter i've played, i didn't learn that till about 100 hours in. i saw someone do it in a youtube video against deviljho.

i also read it in the manual after the fact. they tell you specifically to use dung bombs.

but i know, right. who actually reads the book?
I didn't play p3rd or tri so it took me until G rank before I knew you could roll off blights. I thought fireblight was just a super powerful annoying poison lol.

I tried out bowguns for the first time yesterday, and while really fun I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have used Bows exclusivly up to this point so I know a bit about gunning. It is proving difficult getting used to shooting with the A button instead of X.

I made the Jhen HBG to play around with and did Rathian. While I beat him, it took me almost 20 minutes and I fumbled around a lot. My biggest question is knowing what ammo types to use. Using rathian as the example is it better to use thunder shot to exploit his weakness? Pierce to shoot down his neck/tail? Pellet to hit a bunch of spots at once? Normal lv3 to ricochet through him?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Monsters spawn within the loading zone when they switch zones, while you spawn a couple meters in.

If they aren't capable or willing to get rid of these fucking zones altogether, it should at the very least be reversed. Monster spawns a couple meters in, you spawn at the edge so you can at least move forward towards the play area proper immediately.

And don't get me started on the invisible walls and clipping and PS2 level collision detection between monsters and the world, it's just completely shit.

/rant

Getting rid of zones would change the flow of the game (and I'm not entirely sure I would like that change, personally), but I do agree that zoning should be reversed. If anything, there's absolutely no reason why, if I'm chasing a monster into a zone, I zone in in front of them. That's just asinine.

Ever since I gemmed into bombardier, I'm seeing marked improvement in how quickly I'm able to get explosions with my slime blades. There's no question that at some point, I am going to have to get a Brachydios gem, though. :(

Kyzon

Getting rid of zones would change the flow of the game (and I'm not entirely sure I would like that change, personally), but I do agree that zoning should be reversed. If anything, there's absolutely no reason why, if I'm chasing a monster into a zone, I zone in in front of them. That's just asinine.

Ever since I gemmed into bombardier, I'm seeing marked improvement in how quickly I'm able to get explosions with my slime blades. There's no question that at some point, I am going to have to get a Brachydios gem, though. :(

Keep playing with gaffers, and make sure you send everyone your guild card. When you get a VE Ticket Gold, you'll be able to trade that to the Veggie Elder in the Tundra (He's at base camp on the right off a cliff right before you leave the camp), and he'll give you a gem for it.

Also, I've figured out what the cosmic mask is good for. Cassshhhhhhhh money. I'm going to equip both shakalakas with it now.

Also, I've figured out what the cosmic mask is good for. Cassshhhhhhhh money. I'm going to equip both shakalakas with it now.

I always need money because I upgrade so many things at once. What I do is put the cosmic mask on both Shakalaka along with Gatherer and anything else to keep them active, then do the Songbirds quest. The mini Pecos go down fast and selling off all of those coins and sparkly fragments nets me quite a bit of cash.

I don't mind having a 10% chance of getting a drop. That's REALLY good.

What I do mind is how annoying this dragon is. His wind pushes you back and doesn't allow you react. He takes off every 3 seconds. You can't jump on him when he lands because of the aforementioned wind.

It's really an extremely unpleasant fight.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ughhhh, I'm not sure anymore if using the Rathalos Plate one the Rathalos S set was the right decision, so I need an expert opinion:

I went from the Wroggi S set (lvl 6):
Def: 295
Res: Fire 10 / Water -10 / Ice -15 / Thunder 0 / Dragon 10
Skills: Shakalaka Rally/Speed Eating +1/Razor Sharp/Negate Poison
6 decoration slots that enabled "KO King" (from charm) and disabled "Defense Down"

To Rathalos S set (lvl 6):
Def: 420
Res: Fire 15 / Water 0 / Ice 0 / Thunder -10 / Dragon -20(!)
Skills: Attack Up (M) / Speed Sharpening
4 decoration slots that can either enable "KO King" (from charm), "Fire Atk+1" (from set), "Attack Up (L)" (from set), OR disable "Recovery Down."*

* I've currently used 2 slots to disable "Rec Down", and have 2 available slots to either enable Fire "Atk +1" or "Attack Up (L)." KO King needs 4 points to be enabled, which is impossible with without leaving Rec Down enabled.

HALP?!

I don't mind having a 10% chance of getting a drop. That's REALLY good.

What I do mind is how annoying this dragon is. His wind pushes you back and doesn't allow you react. He takes off every 3 seconds. You can't jump on him when he lands because of the aforementioned wind.

It's really an extremely unpleasant fight.

are you talking about Azure rathalos? He likes to play tricks on you and has a lot of surprise fireballs, but he's fun to fight. Silver Rath on the other end...

Ughhhh, I'm not sure anymore if using the Rathalos Plate one the Rathalos S set was the right decision, so I need an expert opinion:

4 decoration slots that can either enable "KO King" (from charm), "Fire Atk+1" (from set), "Attack Up (L)" (from set), OR disable "Recovery Down."*

* I've currently used 2 slots to disable "Rec Down", and have 2 available slots to either enable Fire "Atk +1" or "Attack Up (L)." KO King needs 4 points to be enabled, which is impossible with without leaving Rec Down enabled.

HALP?!

what type of weapon do you use though? KO king doesn't apply to slashing type weapons right?

And don't worry about Dragon res for now since if you are playing Village quests you don't really fight monsters that do dragon damage.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
what type of weapon do you use though? KO king doesn't apply to slashing type weapons right?
Whoa, whoa hold the phone! I mean, I use a hammer from time to time but I'm mainly a LS user. Don't tell me I've been doing it all wrong all this time lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I went from the Wroggi S set (lvl 6):
Def: 295
Res: Fire 10 / Water -10 / Ice -15 / Thunder 0 / Dragon 10
Skills: Shakalaka Rally/Speed Eating +1/Razor Sharp/Negate Poison
6 decoration slots that enabled "KO King" (from charm) and disabled "Defense Down"

HALP?!

Attack Up (L) is the most useful because you can use it without having to wield a Fire weapon. And Knockout King will more rarely help you. It only really benefits you if you go from KOing a monsters 2 times a match, to KOing it 3 time, etc. It would just be better to do more damage overall.

edit: Yes, KO King will only matter with Hammer, Hunting Horn and Crag Shots / Power Coating that can KO monsters.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well, that makes my decision much much easier. I'm going to ignore KO King and go for Attack UP (L). Thanks guys.

And don't worry about Dragon res for now since if you are playing Village quests you don't really fight monsters that do dragon damage.
But Joe keeps trolling my HR village quests.
Bo8vQcj.png

I'm talking about Rathian, Rathalos, Azure Rathalos, and the like.

Least favorite fights in the game
The wind push was starting to seriously piss me off, to the point I of wanting to invest in Wind Res.

I'm talking about Rathian, Rathalos, Azure Rathalos, and the like.

Least favorite fights in the game

haha, the rath family is fun. I think Rathians are easier since they tend to stay on the ground but yea you have to approach them in a different manner. Azure Rath is definitely harder/trickier than regular Rathalos as is Pink Rathian and its regular counterpart.

Well, that makes my decision much much easier. I'm going to ignore KO King and go for Attack UP (L). Thanks guys.

But Joe keeps trolling my HR village quests.
Bo8vQcj.png

The wind push was starting to seriously piss me off, to the point I of wanting to invest in Wind Res.

Yes I'd invest in Attack Up(L). And lol @ Jho, he only does that dragon breath in rage mode so just tag him with a paintball and run away lol.

haha, the rath family is fun. I think Rathians are easier since they tend to stay on the ground but yea you have to approach them in a different manner. Azure Rath is definitely harder/trickier than regular Rathalos as is Pink Rathian and its regular counterpart.

It's more that 80% or more of the weapons in the game can't hit them when they're in the air. The Rathalos family tends to always be in the air.

I just keep saying "ARE YOU DONE YET!?" as he circles overhead

It's more that 80% or more of the weapons in the game can't hit them when they're in the air. The Rathalos family tends to always be in the air.

I just keep saying "ARE YOU DONE YET!?" as he circles overhead

haha, i time it and flash them as they get in the air because you get a lot of extra hits in if you flash them in mid air but even then it's not 100% reliable tactic. One thing they changed from MHFU is that Rathalos are immune to the flash bomb when they in the air spewing fireballs down at you. It used to make the fights way easier.

I also think the switch axe does reach at a certain height but yea it's frustrating when my attack don't connect.

haha, i time it and flash them as they get in the air because you get a lot of extra hits in if you flash them in mid air but even then it's not 100% reliable tactic. One thing they changed from MHFU is that Rathalos are immune to the flash bomb when they in the air spewing fireballs down at you. It used to make the fights way easier.

I also think the switch axe does reach at a certain height but yea it's frustrating when my attack don't connect.

That flash bomb technique would alleviate a lot of the stress.

I'm just trying to cut his damn tail off over, and over, and over...

some runs it comes off in less than 3 minutes. other runs, like 6-7.

oh the rage!

That flash bomb technique would alleviate a lot of the stress.

I'm just trying to cut his damn tail off over, and over, and over...

some runs it comes off in less than 3 minutes. other runs, like 6-7.

oh the rage!

oh I can understand, I was making the Azure rathalos armor last week and you need two rubies for it and wow it got annoying. Funny thing is though he dropped one in a shiny after eating lol.

So I would finish the fight and cap him if possible and i think it's easier to get the plate from Azure rath than the regular one but he flies way more than the latter lol.

I don't finish any fight. I cut the tail, carve it, restart.

It's only like a 4% chance to get one from a cap, while its a 10% chance for a tail.

But wouldn't it be 14% to finish the fight? I guess it's faster lol.

JinFlash, I think you can get ve tickets for playing Vilage quests too at least the regular ones. Not sure which though but i got two and i barely touched the guild quests.

Mondriaan

But wouldn't it be 14% to finish the fight? I guess it's faster lol.

JinFlash, I think you can get ve tickets for playing Vilage quests too at least the regular ones. Not sure which though but i got two and i barely touched the guild quests.

You only get Veggie Elder and Veggie Elder Deluxe tickets that way. You can redeem them for stuff like dash drinks, but not for stuff like plates or rubies.

explodet

The real overarching monster in this game is the RNG.

I thought it was the Hunting Guild at first, but they're not really evil, they're just dicks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
When fighting two large monsters at the same time do they take damage from each other or is it the same affair of me accidentally hitting Cha-Cha/other players?

If they do, is the impact of that damage (stat-wise) same as what I endure?

I know small monsters get clobbered by bigger ones, but I want to double check.

It dropped, oh thank god it dropped.
Haha, congrats!

When fighting two large monsters at the same time do they take damage from each other or is it the same affair of me accidentally hitting Cha-Cha/other players?

Haha, congrats!

Yes they can kill each other!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Attack Up (L) is the most useful because you can use it without having to wield a Fire weapon. And Knockout King will more rarely help you. It only really benefits you if you go from KOing a monsters 2 times a match, to KOing it 3 time, etc. It would just be better to do more damage overall.

edit: Yes, KO King will only matter with Hammer, Hunting Horn and Crag Shots / Power Coating that can KO monsters.
Whoa what, power coating can KO?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh goddamnit I just want to hunt Ivory Lagi. Is it at level 8?

Also anyone know why either the leg equipment for both high rank Lagicrus and Plesioth don't show up for crafting even though every other piece of the set does?

Haunted

They do real damage. It's usually not really noticeable because it's such a rare occurrence, but a Joe going in on another monster on the quest can actually do some decent damage. Also noticeable with the Brachydios and Rathalos in Mark of a Hero, Brachy can really do a number on the Rathalos with all the explosions.

Haunted

Why are there so many Abyssal Lagi rooms stating "Bowgun only"?

I feel discriminated against. ;_;

Oh goddamnit I just want to hunt Ivory Lagi. Is it at level 8?

Also anyone know why either the leg equipment for both high rank Lagicrus and Plesioth don't show up for crafting even though every other piece of the set does?
Ivory Lagi is Village lvl 8 (one of the last quests to appear iirc) and Port Tanzia lvl 5.

The equipment not showing up means you're lacking at least one rare material, get it (once) and they will show up. At least I think that's the case.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
FFF, so close to breaking 9 min

they have KO damage as well, same with exhaust phials on SA
I see. The more you know (´・ω・`)

Why are there so many Abyssal Lagi rooms stating "Bowgun only"?

I feel discriminated against. ;_;
There's an exploitable spot that lets you fire at it with ranged weapons while it can't hurt you at all. They're definitely expecting you to use that if the room has that kind of requirement.

Haunted

There's an exploitable spot that lets you fire at it with ranged weapons while it can't hurt you at all. They're definitely expecting you to use that if the room has that kind of requirement.
Those dishonourable curs!

Nah, that's a legit strategy, but sounds really boring. Robbing yourself of the hard earned victory and sense of accomplishment that's so crucial to making MH what it is... bleh.

Haunted

Hm, such as? Like, what are rare materials?
Just the material with the lowest drop rates or which is otherwise hard to get.

For a HR Lagiacrus, that'd be a Mantle or Tail, I think. If you have both of these already, I'm out of ideas.

About the Plesioth set... I actually don't think it has faulds, it's a four-piece set (but don't quote me on that).

Kyzon

I always need money because I upgrade so many things at once. What I do is put the cosmic mask on both Shakalaka along with Gatherer and anything else to keep them active, then do the Songbirds quest. The mini Pecos go down fast and selling off all of those coins and sparkly fragments nets me quite a bit of cash.

I think I may give that a try. I do enjoy that quest. It's so lulzy.

made a room... no one is joining :(

I'll get on now if you're still there

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So close to finishing HR6. Anyone down for some HR6 key tonight?

Top Bottom