• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Vinci

Danish
Okay, I'm in Free 3, Lobby 9, and I'm not especially experienced. Anyone got a room? I just want to try playing online for a change.

Zornica

Banned
I just got a glimps of what xbox live must be like.
some american guy joined the room, his mic sounded like he was sitting at bottom of a coal mine, and he constantly raged without any reason and he wanted to teabag everything.

never felt so embarrassed in mh game before.

Haunted

I just got a glimps of what xbox live must be like.
some american guy joined the room, his mic sounded like he was sitting at bottom of a coal mine, and he constantly raged without any reason and he wanted to teabag everything.

never felt so embarrassed in mh game before.
I'm willfully ignorant about this stuff. I never turn on my chat when playing with people I don't know in real life. Nothing ruins my enjoyment quicker than realising that a person I'm playing with and treating as an equal partner is actually a douche or a small child.

Can't deal with it, it takes away my will to play completely. Ignorance is bliss for me.

UHHHHHH, you realize that you can switch between weapons freely right? You are not locked to a class.
Can't switch genders, though! It's like picking up all new armours, different designs and all.

Thanks Setveen, Beats, and taybul. That was quite fun, and I appreciate how patient you all were...

Still only one. How do you go up?
once you beat a certain amount of 1 star quests, youll get your urgent like in single player, that urgent will raise your HR

Beats

Thanks Setveen, Beats, and taybul. That was quite fun, and I appreciate how patient you all were...

Still only one. How do you go up?

No problem!
You have to complete 'key' quests which unlocks an urgent quest that brings you to the next Hunter Rank once you complete it.

Vinci

Danish
once you beat a certain amount of 1 star quests, youll get your urgent like in single player, that urgent will raise your HR

Ah. One just showed before everyone left. Lagiacrus.

Can I fight him online and off? Online is pretty damn fun. Might wait for that then.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah. One just showed before everyone left. Lagiacrus.

Can I fight him online and off? Online is pretty damn fun. Might wait for that then.

I'll come fight him with you if you want (I've really got to work on raising my hunter rank), but you can solo him in Tanzia as well.

Vinci

Danish
Damn it. Sorry, man. My Internet went down and I got an email on my phone telling me they're doing emergency maintenance. Which is a first. Really sorry.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Damn it. Sorry, man. My Internet went down and I got an email on my phone telling me they're doing emergency maintenance. Which is a first. Really sorry.

Nah, it's cool. I shouldn't have picked just then to try out Great Sword anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah... What do you usually carry?

EDIT: Internet is still down. It's like living in the 80's again.

I usually use a switch-axe but it's at such a high level at this point the fight would have been over in no time at all. It's no fun doing a fight with over-geared people.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Happy to help as well. I'm overgeared as well, though (HR6).

Speaking of which, I'm almost finished HR6, and would love some help with the last few quests + urgent.

Btw Vinci, here are the key quests for HR1:

5. Playing with Fire
8. Leading The Charge
9. The Merchant's Mission
11. Accident Investigation

If you're looking to raise rank quickly and see more of the content, concentrate on only doing key quests (unless you have to build new gear or something).

If you want to know which quests are key quests for a given rank, check here: http://kiranico.com/quest/ All the key quests are highlighted in light pink, and urgents are listed in the darker pink (urgents become regular quests in the next rank, which is why they're listed one rank ahead in the list)

d0c_zaius

anyone want to help me with my urgent quest to kill hulk hogan ceadeus?

someone just joined and then quit 10 minutes into it...sadness.

Played the first few quests last night, finding Jnr, some mineral in the caves etc. The main quest options is are available to play now.

I've switched to the Dual Blades for now, they are pretty fun to use and it's a bit different from carrying a regular sword and shield.

The guy that upgrades your armor etc, it said something about armour sets only being compatible with specific weapon types, is that right? I've not changed armour or anything yet so I assume the default one you wear is compatible with any weapons.

I went on a boat to a different town, I am guessing I should stick around in the first place though for a while?

matm666

Played the first few quests last night, finding Jnr, some mineral in the caves etc. The main quest options is are available to play now.

I've switched to the Dual Blades for now, they are pretty fun to use and it's a bit different from carrying a regular sword and shield.

The guy that upgrades your armor etc, it said something about armour sets only being compatible with specific weapon types, is that right? I've not changed armour or anything yet so I assume the default one you wear is compatible with any weapons.

I went on a boat to a different town, I am guessing I should stick around in the first place though for a while?

just bow, heavybowgun and bowgun arent compatible, you need a gunner set, the rest are all compatible with blademaster sets.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

The boat takes you to the town, which is where you do multiplayer quests. The village is the single player campaign. You can do the Port quests on your own, but they're balanced for multiplayer. Imo, the Port is the meat of the game, but I would recommend getting used to the flow of the game before venturing in.

In terms of sets, you just have to be mindful that you're using a Blademaster or Gunner set. When looking at armor in the shop, I believe it does say in yellow text whether something is Gunner only, Blademaster only, or okay for anyone.

EDIT: Anyone up for some HR6 key quests? I just need the last 2 before the urgent.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I faced Brachy for the first time (village HR) and I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by him. Even if there are other forms or different patterns in harder quests, I expected more from the cover monster especially after the terrifying intro movie.

Rize_21

I faced Brachy for the first time (village HR) and I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by him. Even if there are other forms or different patterns in harder quests, I expected more from the cover monster especially after terrifying intro movie.

You've seen
everything
of him!

Sorry to be off topic but I have no idea where to put this video of Ryozo Tsujimoto playing MH4,I've done a search thread and found nothing about it.
=> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ7ZpaT9gsE

The demo begins with the orange lemur thing and is followed by the Tigrex.

Haunted

I faced Brachy for the first time (village HR) and I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by him. Even if there are other forms or different patterns in harder quests, I expected more from the cover monster especially after terrifying intro movie.
The twin Brachy Port Tanzia Urgent Quest is the hardest instance of him I've seen.

His agility when angry is pretty good, like a mini Deviljho. dat pounce. Not being able to block when slimed is a nightmare for Lance/Gunlance users. His quarter-circle movement is relatively unique for a monster of his build and I like his ferocity.

I think they did a good job with him.

Thanks guys.
Also, should offer all of the stuff I find to the Stockpile under the Hunt Report option? There is first an option to convert kills into resources, and then from there you can choose what to do with them.

Or for now, doesn't it really matter? The lady who sells stuff at the potions shop said that I should give her stuff every day, is that related?

Ultratech

I cant beat Aleatron! Any tips!

-Get HG Earplugs: It'll give you extra hits and keep from hopefully getting hit by one of those flame pillars.

-You can get him stuck in the wall in two spots on opposite sides of the area. However, those spots will break eventually. Good if you need to cut his tail off or get on top of the ledge there and Clust the wings.

-Flash Bombs will work against Ala when he flies up in the air (contrary to popular belief); however, they WON'T work if he's enraged. (You can tell this by watching his breath; if you see ice/frost coming from his mouth, he's pissed.)

-Bring Farcasters and mats for them. Very useful for falling back to recover, and if Ala flies up, he'll go back down after a short time.

-There's a few Balistas set up in the area as well as a Balista Binder. The binder has about a 2-3 minute cooldown. Use it when Ala flies up to knock him out of the air and get some free hits in.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The twin Brachy Port Tanzia Urgent Quest is the hardest instance of him I've seen.

His agility when angry is pretty good, like a mini Deviljho. dat pounce. Not being able to block when slimed is a nightmare for Lance/Gunlance users. His quarter-circle movement is relatively unique for a monster of his build and I like his ferocity.

I think they did a good job with him.
True, the lunging attacks at the end became more troublesome. And he *did* put up a good fight, one that exhausted most of my healing items, but it wasn't as long as I expected or gave me the same dreaded feeling of "I'll never win" that some other monsters historically did initially.

I'm probably mostly disappointed by the slime attacks; since I'm a LS user I didn't get too annoyed by them, much to my surprise. Knowing that it only takes three rolls to shake the slime off made the attacks extremely manageable, to the point where I never needed used a deodorant. I don't believe I was ignited even once.

Winning that fight on my first try made me quite cocky. Then I faced Zinogre, and was handed my ass pretty quickly (I had to abandon the quest lol). Now that's a mofo that I'm dreading dealing with today... Dat agility and jump spam.

G rank really is on another level,took me 25 mins to beat a plessy,I'll have to play it safe from now on lol.

True, the lunging attacks at the end became more troublesome. And he *did* put up a good fight, one that exhausted most of my healing items, but it wasn't as long as I expected or gave me the same dreaded feeling of "I'll never win" that some other monsters historically did initially.

I'm probably mostly disappointed by the slime attacks; since I'm LS user it didn't get too annoyed by them much to my surprise. Knowing that it only takes three rolls to negate them made extremely manageable, to the point where I never used a deodorant. I don't believe was ignited even once.

Winning that fight on my first try made me quite cocky. Then I faced Zinogre, and was handed my ass pretty quickly (I had to abandon the quest lol). Now that's a mofo that I'm dreading dealing with today... Dat agility and jump spam.

One of the best fights in the game, along with anything with a Zinogre. Btw Zinogre is only hard the first fight :p, once you get used to him, he's easier than Brachy.

I really hate a pissed off Brachy.

nin1000

Banned
Do you guys know some good sites where i can gather information to improve farming ?

Currently 14 hours into the game and i am loving it so far

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
One of the best fights in the game, along with anything with a Zinogre. Btw Zinogre is only hard the first fight :p, once you get used to him, he's easier than Brachy.
The Tigarex/Barioth/Zingobre class of monsters are tough adversaries and pretty fun to overcome. I get an overwhelming sense of accomplishment when taking them down.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm fighting Brachy right now and I have to be honest, it feels a bit like I'm fighting another hunter at times. It's just the way he sidesteps, swings around and attacks feels more human than monster.

MechaX

For someone who has never actually played a MH game before and probably won't get a WiiU for awhile, would it be worth it to get the 3DS version?

Done my first underwater quest to get some Guts. Came across a HUGE monster which I was immediately warned about and to turn around. I did exactly that :) The underwater controls aren't great but I can't really remember a game that does do it well.

I've noticed on these recent quests that the map on screen is really zoomed in, and you can't get a full view of the area, just the "room" you are currently in. Is that because of the type of quest it is? Or is it an option somewhere?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Done my first underwater quest to get some Guts. Came across a HUGE monster which I was immediately warned about and to turn around. I did exactly that :) The underwater controls aren't great but I can't really remember a game that does do it well.

I've noticed on these recent quests that the map on screen is really zoomed in, and you can't get a full view of the area, just the "room" you are currently in. Is that because of the type of quest it is? Or is it an option somewhere?

Are you on the WiiU or 3DS version?

For someone who has never actually played a MH game before and probably won't get a WiiU for awhile, would it be worth it to get the 3DS version?

If you do, try and get a few friends to buy it as well.

Fewr

I have finally reached mark of a hero. Wow @ the damage the Lagiacrus does to my volvidon armor, it has taken me through all high rank single player so far, but maybe it's time to change. Is it normal to die in this mission after about 3 hits?

I'm thinking I should avoid potential frustration and get to G rank in port first before doing this.

---------

Yes, but I should warn you that you will consider getting a wii u with the game for the multiplayer.

To the person that asked about the map, if you touch the map it should show the whole thing.

Also, to new players make sure you read about charm tables asap. You might want to restart your game.

Lizardus

I can get Focus, challenger +2 and evasion+1 on a bow. Are there any other essential bow skills?

All the bows I have can use power coatings and don't need Load up

I have finally reached mark of a hero. Wow @ the damage the Lagiacrus does to my volvidon armor, it has taken me through all high rank single player so far, but maybe it's time to change. Is it normal to die in this mission after about 3 hits?

I'm thinking I should avoid potential frustration and get to G rank in port first before doing this.

---------

The amount of damage is probably about right, I did it in Rathalos HR armor and was losing close to half my life bar with the bigger hits.
I managed to do the quest (Mega Dash Juices and plenty of running) but imagine it would be a hell of a lot less frustrating with G rank armor.

It wouldn't feel as rewarding though, I did feel pretty special once I'd completed it.

Kyzon

I'm gonna make a room at the usual place. Need some help running my gf through her goldbeard urgent.

382377_10100810692847438_59243635_n.jpg

Top Bottom