• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Ridley327

Finally got around to wrapping up single player with Mark of a Hero and Alatreon. Alatreon was definitely the tougher fight for my poor hammer. Flash Bombs being nerfed on him and the frequency in which he loves to fly around and waste time made it more of an endurance test than anything else.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to fight him today for the first time since Tri, and he's definitely taken a few pointers from Rathalos.

Do both Lucent and Green drop the mantle? I'm happy to farm Green endlessly if they both drop it, but Lucent's higher. I'm just not geared for Lucent atm.

Any Narga on G-rank can drop the mantle, but you have slightly higher chances with both Green and Lucent. Lucent is probably your best bet for it, if only because of the chance of getting a Cloudy Moonshard on top of it.

taybul

Do both Lucent and Green drop the mantle? I'm happy to farm Green endlessly if they both drop it, but Lucent's rate is higher. I'm just not geared for Lucent atm.

Yeah lucent might not be the easiest way to farm. Your best bet would probably be the 3 nargas in succession or double narga/green narga quests. Fortunately Lucent's gear kinda sucks skill-wise.

Hattori

Banned
I'm surprised at how easy(?) alatreon was for me. It's either I'm getting the hang of dodging or he's really easy to anticipate. All this time I was very intimidated, but he's not that bad as long as you are not too anxious to get hits in and wait for openings. He's definitely more manageable than my mortal enemy, b. diablos.

Ridley327

I'm surprised at how easy(?) alatreon was for me. It's either I'm getting the hang of dodging or he's really easy to anticipate. All this time I was very intimidated, but he's not that bad as long as you are not too anxious to get hits in and wait for openings. He's definitely more manageable than my mortal enemy, b. diablos.

Well, it's not like Alatreon has a ram attack that comes at you at about 200 mph.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haha, Black Diablos has been super easy for me the 10, or so times I've fought him. Usually I go Light Bowgun when I face him though, so I'm sure he's more of a pain in the ass when you're trying to fight him face to face.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah lucent might not be the easiest way to farm. Your best bet would probably be the 3 nargas in succession or double narga/green narga quests. Fortunately Lucent's gear kinda sucks skill-wise.

I'm still HR7 (close to hitting 8). I haven't looked at the quest list yet, but are successive narga quests available at HR7?

Ridley327

I'm still HR7 (close to hitting 8). I haven't looked at the quest list yet, but are successive narga quests available at HR7?

Yeah, they're cycled in with the rest of the Advance quests. At HR8+, there's a quest that's set in the arena that pits both a regular and Green Narga at the same time.

FlyFaster

took a little break (300 hours in a month will do that to you) but back now. Looking to farm some ala online. I'll be in and out of rooms and searching. hollar if you see me! (nnid: Zentea)

Well that was... interesting. I just one-hit killed a G-Rank Rathian. A group of us were doing a multi-monster quest, we downed the first one (a Nargacuga) and I ran to the area behind the waterfall to wait for Rathian to appear. I saw her shadow appear on the floor, ran into it and charged up a GS attack. I hit her right in the feet as she was about to land and she fell down, hit the floor and died, much to the baffled amazement of the whole group. I've never seen that happen before.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well that was... interesting. I just one-hit killed a G-Rank Rathian. A group of us were doing a multi-monster quest, we downed the first one (a Nargacuga) and I ran to the area behind the waterfall to wait for Rathian to appear. I saw her shadow appear on the floor, ran into it and charged up a GS attack. I hit her right in the feet as she was about to land and she fell down, hit the floor and died, much to the baffled amazement of the whole group. I've never seen that happen before.

I've seen that in youtube videos before, but I had always just assumed they cheated and got some damage in before hand. That's pretty crazy.

It sounds like the glitch in shadowrun for the SNES. Perhaps you are killing them before their energy/ life fully charges. Like an energy bar that has to fill while they are zoning.

taybul

Weakener maybe? Although I wouldn't think it'd reduce an enemy this far.

Defunkled

I need some help, MonHunGAF. I'm HR45 and I want to start using Hunting Horns. What are some good Horns and armor sets that work well with Horns? I wanna expand my weapon usage beyond Great Swords, Long Swords, and Lances.

Mondriaan

Weakener maybe? Although I wouldn't think it'd reduce an enemy this far.
No, the one hit kill is definitely a glitch. I think it's related to lag, a boss being spawned, that boss taking damage, and the game being confused about which person is the "owner" of a zone.

Finally got around to wrapping up single player with Mark of a Hero and Alatreon. Alatreon was definitely the tougher fight for my poor hammer. Flash Bombs being nerfed on him and the frequency in which he loves to fly around and waste time made it more of an endurance test than anything else.

Yank him out of the sky with the binder for free hits.

Solune

I need some help, MonHunGAF. I'm HR45 and I want to start using Hunting Horns. What are some good Horns and armor sets that work well with Horns? I wanna expand my weapon usage beyond Great Swords, Long Swords, and Lances.

I'm not that experienced with it but the Barroth weapon seems pretty potent if you have access to Awaken and it only uses Barroth mats going by the Wiki. Maestro is probably a good armor skill to go for as well.

Anyone willing to come online and help me kill one or two G Black diablos? I need a Blackcurl horn from him. I got a room up at usual gaf place, usual pass. We can also do some alatreon after

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone willing to come online and help me kill one or two G Black diablos? I need a Blackcurl horn from him. I got a room up at usual gaf place, usual pass. We can also do some alatreon after

Bah, I was going to join you for some G Black Dios, as I need the same horns, but I have too much work to do right now. :(

insin

Neo Member
Anyone got any Skypiercers yet? I can't find any randoms who all carry bombs and materials for more, despite Scatterfish no longer being a pain to get. Best I've seen is one of Ala's horns broken.

Yes...solo-ed my 3rd Lucent Narga and got a Cloudy Moonshard in my reward page!

Woot!! Finally crafted my Midnight Aeternum hammer! What armor skills would you guys recommend for this weapon? AUL and Affinity +30%?

Lizardus

Yes...solo-ed my 3rd Lucent Narga and got a Cloudy Moonshard in my reward page!

Woot!! Finally crafted my Midnight Aeternum hammer! What armor skills would you guys recommend for this weapon? AUL and Affinity +30%?

those two plus challenger+2 if you can. Other than that, the usual Hammer skills.

L Thammy

Hadn't really been able to play this game for a while. After some weapon grinding, I think it's time to try Mark of the Hero again.

What high rank GS setup do you guys think is best? What about Chacha and Kayamba's abilities? Do I go with Auberon or Dios Blade+?

Ultratech

it's not just that. His attacks don't seem to be that frequent and are easier to dodge. He only does the AOE fireball maybe once a quest.

Something is off with this Ala, I'll wait for the G version.

New moves and attacks pretty much.

He's also got quite a few taunt openings after some attacks now.

Unlike Tri, he doesn't stay in Fireball Nuke Mode almost half the time.

insin

Neo Member
Got some Skypiercers this morning - seems like using the walls, paralysis from a ranged weapon, getting KOs from a hammer user and staying close for the ballista binder is a more reliable way of getting those Alatreon horns off in random groups than bombing. I got a couple of airkills this morning and finished the second horn off a few times myself with Kelbi Bowsplosions, which was satisfying.

Forged all the weapons I wanted and the gunner armour already - pity the Ala armour has no slots.

Finished my Zinogre Z armor. I gemmed into dragon atk +2 (extra 140 dragon on the worn sword) but i'm thinking i won't get to take advantage of that too much. Would it be better to gem into critical draw? Would that only affect me having the correct element against monsters?

I'm thinking sheathing might go well with it, but that might not be ideal.

Where do I find the Worn weapons? I want a Worn Hammer!

I found 2 the other day actually...

the best is to go to G-rank 7* exploration/farm mission (forget the name). Should be the first 7* mission in the port.

Take 1 farcaster, cooling drinks, and mega pick axes. Farm 5,8,9,10, then farcaster.

Took me about 4 hours to get 2 worn hammers, 2 worn duel sabers, a worn long sword, and then, finally, my worn gun lance

T_T

Took me 2 hours for that Long Fragment crap...and now this....

Nature of the beast.

I just like the fact that you WILL get what you want in this game if you persevere. Coming from Phantasy Star Online 2, you wouldn't want to know how terrible trying to get an item is.

You think 2% drop rate is bad? How about 0.01%?

seriously

I got the 2 worn weapons I wanted, some I didn't really want but will take, a bunch of charms that are good (table 8 here) and made a butt load of money.

I'm not against doing it again later for more charms. I find doing such tasks on the 3DS seems to make it less of a chore.

I transfer to the Wii U for real fights

taybul

Finished my Zinogre Z armor. I gemmed into dragon atk +2 (extra 140 dragon on the worn sword) but i'm thinking i won't get to take advantage of that too much. Would it be better to gem into critical draw? Would that only affect me having the correct element against monsters?

I'm thinking sheathing might go well with it, but that might not be ideal.

CritDraw and GSes basically go hand in hand. I wouldn't worry too much about sheathing. Get expert+ or another offensive skill if you can.

T_T

Took me 2 hours for that Long Fragment crap...and now this....
Are you doing Prescription Pickup to "farm" for these? Took me only a few hours to get all 3 pieces.

taybul

i was talking about GS

but you were referring to skills I'm not familiar with. I mentioned critical draw as I've heard good things about it and the GS

Oh well in that case, here are some that come to mind:

- Sharpness+1 (handicraft skill) lets most GSes peek into their next level of sharpness.
- Expert+ is good for more fill-in crits when not CritDraw'ing
- Awaken to unlock elements, although a lot of GSes already have elements on them

Oh well in that case, here are some that come to mind:

- Sharpness+1 (handicraft skill) lets most GSes peek into their next level of sharpness.
- Expert+ is good for more fill-in crits when not CritDraw'ing
- Awaken to unlock elements, although a lot of GSes already have elements on them

I have sharpness on the helios armor. I probably won't use that armor much with GS anymore because of the stygian zinogre armor having evasion and fast charge already on it.

crit draw sounds like it's better when you are setting up level 3 charges, but would be better with sheathing i think.

expert + sounds better when you are chaining attacks, or when the monster is in a trap and you just charge after charge

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I think I am finally ready to really jump online- what location is gaf hunting at?

Top Bottom