• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Kuntz

So I think I am finally ready to really jump online- what location is gaf hunting at?

The usual meeting place is Free C, Lobby 9.

If you want a gaf only room name it something recognizable and add the password you can find by quoting the OT.

Don't forget to advertise in here to get more friends !

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm at Free C Lobby 9 right now under the room name gaf- need help with my Brachy urgent if anyone is around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
why are lagiacrus horn+ so hard to get, I mean if I'm fighting an HR lagia, he should be giving me regular horns not when I need horn+

danm this is so annoying.

are you guys doing Brachy G1 urgent? I might join you guys.

Are you breaking Lagi's head? That's the only way to get the horn+.

His horns do take a few runs to get. Wait till you want his sapphire or his G-ranks drops and you won't even remember horns.

Then again, he's really nice to me about sapphires

same to me, I haven't had troubles getting those. It's the danm horns even when back when I was making Ivory's set, It has always been the damn horns+

Hattori

Banned
Im just gonna wait for G-rank Ala to get skypiercers, made the mistake of grinding for los rubies only to get a bucket load in G-rank.

panda21

i'd like to use the lance but i just can't get used to the dodge just being a jump backwards.

is there any way to dive/dodge in any direction like you can with the other weapons??

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
i'd like to use the lance but i just can't get used to the dodge just being a jump backwards.

is there any way to dive/dodge in any direction like you can with the other weapons??
The sidesteps should be more than enough for evading, but if it's while you're not attacking, just turn around and backhop towards the direction you want. I play gunlance but same concept

panda21

The sidesteps should be more than enough for evading, but if it's while you're not attacking, just turn around and backhop towards the direction you want. I play gunlance but same concept

how do you sidestep though? all i can do is backhop by pressing B

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Might open a room in a little bit to farm G Rank Narga, if anyone wants to join.

I'm in the middle of my first Rathalos fight. We were fighting in area 2 and he flew off, but my paintball had worn off without me noticing. I've run around the entire map twice and can't find him anywhere. Where should he be eating/sleeping?

Also, he's a total dick.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm in the middle of my first Rathalos fight. We were fighting in area 2 and he flew off, but my paintball had worn off without me noticing. I've run around the entire map twice and can't find him anywhere. Where should he be eating/sleeping?

Also, he's a total dick.

He goes to area 8 when he takes enough damage. He only ever hangs out in areas 2, 5, 3, 7 or 8.

You get used to him. Just hang back when he rages and pound his legs when he's tired. Also you can sneak between his legs and pound him there for a bit while being safe from everything but a charge.

So close to my first full set of High rank Volvidon set. With decorations and my thunderclap long sword I have:
Attack up (L)
Capture Guru
Evasion +1
Tremor Res
Cold Surge (didn't slot anything to negate it)

I am having a blast w/ Rank 7 quests.

Fewr

I need some advice. I've been playing for about a week, just offline. I wanna try online stuff but I have no idea really what I am doing. Will people be nasty if I just join random rooms?

I thought about this, and I now think that if you've done Gobul (purple blowfish) you're set to go online because you would know about land and sea battles.

thetrin

Alright we still need 2 more for G Rank nargacuga, if anyone wants to join.

2137 is my favorite becuase It's the fastest to 8.
2567 might be better just for going to 7, it depends on what you where you want to appear in 7.

so just for 7, 2137=2567 and both are better than 237

Does this also mean that 2 → 1 → 3 → 7 → 8 → 11 is faster than (shortcut) → 9 → 10 → 11 when hunting Lagiacrus in D. Island?

Does this also mean that 2 → 1 → 3 → 7 → 8 → 11 is faster than (shortcut) → 9 → 10 → 11 when hunting Lagiacrus in D. Island?

It took me till almost G-rank that I found out about the shortcut from camp to area 9. It was when I saw a youtube video of it.

What other shortcuts are there in the game?

Never timed myself, but I just do shortcut for water stuff, 21378 for cliff stuff, 256 for other. 213 for left side of three, 23 for right side? lol.

D. Island, Flooded Forest, and D.Plains have shortcuts at the camp. Other shortcuts are listed on the maps. Edit- ceadeus map has a shortcut too I guess.

Deku Tree

Any way to make the onscreen text bigger?
I am playing on a 50" Plasma from a good distance away.
And the text is too small. No way to fix that?

L Thammy

Is it better to use a Dragon element greatsword (+ dragon element Chacha) on a monster with a dragon weakness, or a Slime element greatsword (+ slime element Chacha)?
Assuming charge attacks will rarely happen.

thetrin

Any way to make the onscreen text bigger?
I am playing on a 50" Plasma from a good distance away.
And the text is too small. No way to fix that?
Nope. Unfortunately.

Is it better to use a Dragon element greatsword (+ dragon element Chacha) on a monster with a dragon weakness, or a Slime element greatsword (+ slime element Chacha)?
Assuming charge attacks will rarely happen.

I'm just spit balling, but slime relies on number of hits to be effective, and I'm not sure a GS is the best weapon to utilize for that. After all, you're adding to a slime "pool" to activate its effect, rather than attacking a specific weakness.

Jeez!

The more I switch from gun lance to great sword the more annoyed I get from friendly fire. I'm not sure why the concept is so foreign to people. If I'm planted before you and charging up for a level 3, why must you insist and busting up my fun? The monsters are so damn big, save for a Great Jaggi, that you really couldn't find another spot to hit the monster that doesn't affect me?

I really don't need people to apologize for it either, as someone was incessantly doing today. Just get better. It would do everyone you play with a huge favor.

Sorry for the rant btw. I'm sure I haven't stumbled across anything new here. I just can't think these people would be very successful in games like Left For Dead.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just got this, up to rank 3 solo, downd the bear and the Great Jaggi. When's a good time to go online?

Fewr

I say when you‘ve done Barroth or Gobul, you‘re ready. Post here and let us know when you go online, someone might be free and willing to join.

Played 10 hours or so now on 3DS. So far its AWESOME.

I've been doing the 1 and 2 Star quests, along with some Village requests here and there too. I have come across and beat my first Monster that you have to chase around the map, it was a larger version of the one base monsters. I've forgotten his name, but he was big and purple coloured :)

It's taking a bit of getting used to with some of the quirks of the game. One of them being the in-game quest menu which tells you that you need 3 of X item. When you pick that item up, it doesn't saying 2 of X item. Only when you deliver it to the box does it change. Also finding the monster without knowing where they hang out is unusual in a modern game, but I guess that's why they call it Monster Hunter. Still, you get plenty of time to explore and there are only so many rooms any way :)

The only quest I am struggling with is the very first fishing one, where you have a Gold bait, but unless you get the bites perfectly, the fish bugger off and - it seems - you have to abandon the quest and start again. The golden bait is used up and I can't seem to see where to get more of it.

Also one question, how do you increase your health and stamina bars?

explodet

Your base health and stamina always remain the same.

You can increase your health/stamina before a mission by eating at the felyne canteen at Moga Village (not sure if you've unlocked him yet, I forget when it happens) or Port Tanzia.

You can also bring items that increase max health and stamina - meat, energy drinks and dash juices for stamina, nutrients and max/ancient potions for health. You're probably already familiar with the stamina part, though.

There are also decorations/talismans you can wear to increase your max heath.

And if you faint during a mission, you're back to your base health again.

Fewr

As for the fishing quest, the special bait is not needed to get the gold fish, the "default" one you have will do, the difference is it will take you much longer.

That is the most boring quest of them all, so from there it's all blue skies, and I think you can skip it even.

Fewr

I'm planning to be online tomorrow night (GMT-6) if you want to do some low rank multiplayer hunts. I'll post here when/if I'm available.

is there any low rank gunlance worth crafting besides the event one?

There are plenty, especially if you want to eventually upgrade them to G-rank status later.

The barroth loader and the red rook come to mind. The red rook especially upgrades extremely nice at the end of its tree.

the loader turns into a very capable Ice element gunlance

So Kayamba just saved my butt and had the last Black Diablos Carapace I needed for Diablos U (thank you Mock Melynx).

Now that that's done, what should I gem it for? I'm usually a HH player but Hammer is fun too.

When do you get the Cha Cha character to help you? I've seen other versions of them around the map and some of them steal stuff, one of the gits took my map! :D

Top Bottom