• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

So let me get this straight, I have to kill Port Goldbeard Ceadeus(multi) solo (3DS) to get to G rank, which is multiplayer only as well?, like theres no village G rank, is that correct?, did the game just ended for me?.

Port Tanzia =/= multiplayer only, that's why you get an option to travel to SOLO port where you will be able to take both Kayamba and Cha-Cha with you. ALL the quests can be done solo, it'll just take more time than if you had 3 friends to play with.

Again, please take “port = multiplayer” out of your head. That was the case in MHTri, this is not the case here.

I'll be on later if anyone is interested.

made it to HR 43 last night. Dire Miralis was a good sport and get me 2 gems in like 5 runs. Moved onto Lucent Nargacuga where my friend proceeded to shit the bed and die all over place.

Mission before, he dies twice (i called it) and we wound up beating him. Next mission, he DC's in the first 3 minutes. We go on to beat him with a man down with no carts. He gives me a mantle and a cloudy moonshard.

Thanks! Here's the vid, y'all:

http://youtu.be/qo1fzX0ptvk

is that evasion +1 or +2

what armor?

you are obviously using handicraft and that skill that if you take so much damage in a certain amount of time you get a boost, but what else?

seems like a conservative video as far as when you attack and what not. i have those combos down but rely too much on blocking, which is bad

edit: nevermind, i switched to HQ and could make it out on my phone.

it appears you don't use your shots at all. i assume that is to save yourself from sharpening so much. Wouldn't felyne bombadier and sharpener help you more, or no?

either way

tumblr_mmuugl2yM71r0mip9o1_400.gif

Kandinsky

get a slime weapon, give kayamba the ultimate mask, keep attacking his beard and make timely use of the dragonator and you should beat him. It was surprisingly easier than I expected. You'll probably die once or twice and it will take you long but he will go down eventually. I finished it with 15 mins left on the clock.

Oh don't forget you dash/Mega dash juice and oxygen philiers ect. His water blast can one shot you at this point so I'd worry about that too.
Thanks for the tips, will try it when I get home :D
depends how you look at it, but yes. you could always try to find others in your area that have it for 3DS and plan a small "event" to try to tackle him in ad-hoc
Honestly I think I'm going to rebuy a WiiU at this point haha :/
Port Tanzia =/= multiplayer only, that's why you get an option to travel to SOLO port where you will be able to take both Kayamba and Cha-Cha with you. ALL the quests can be done solo, it'll just take more time than if you had 3 friends to play with.

Again, please take “port = multiplayer” out of your head. That was the case in MHTri, this is not the case here.
How come they still give you Supply Itemsx4 then D:, I understood "Solo" port monsters had multiplayer HP, is that wrong?.

Awesome video man... i have a question though. I don't see you shelling at all, so why GL and not regular lance?

GL for the running stab to get closer to Narga quicker for combos, plus better damage output.

I also use Felyne Pyro to increase the effectiveness of my Slime.

I probably should've been shelling, but gonna try a run where I incorporate shelling into my combos and see if that shortens my time. I'm really trying to hit that sub-10 minute mark.

GL for the running stab to get closer to Narga quicker for combos, plus better damage output.

I probably should've been shelling, but gonna try a run where I incorporate shelling into my combos and see if that shortens my time. I'm really trying to hit that sub-10 minute mark.

is there a better gun lance you could be using?

i think you should try with shelling. if you have to sharpen too much, try sharpener.

I'll have to try soloing with sonic bombs. those gave you a ton of time it seemed

Haunted

Trying out some hammering. Can someone tell me which is the more powerful combo? X, X, X OR lvl2 charge single hit OR lvl2 charge spinning hits? Provided every atk connects, obviously.

They all have a similar setup time so I can often pick and choose which to go for - which one's the strongest, damage-wise?

Also feel free to lay some hammer tips on me if you're an experienced hammer user. :D

How come they still give you Supply Itemsx4 then D:, I understood "Solo" port monsters had multiplayer HP, is that wrong?.
That's just how nice they are.

I think the HP of solo port monsters are balanced somewhere between village monsters and multi port monsters.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Any G Rank players up for some farming? Thinking about opening a room in a little bit to farm green narga for armor parts.

Shit.

Have you guys ever heard of the rare arena drops?

Rathalos - Golden Medallion 2%
Nargacuga - Port Gal (Green) 3%
Lagiacrus - Golden Medallion 2%
Rust Duramboros - Port Gal (Red) 3%
Gobul/Plesioth - Port Gal (Blue) 3%
Stygian Zinogre - Port Gal (White) 3%

Any OCD hunter out there wanna join me?

T___________T

Haunted

Shit.

Have you guys ever heard of the rare arena drops?

Rathalos - Golden Medallion 2%
Nargacuga - Port Gal (Green) 3%
Lagiacrus - Golden Medallion 2%
Rust Duramboros - Port Gal (Red) 3%
Gobul/Plesioth - Port Gal (Blue) 3%
Stygian Zinogre - Port Gal (White) 3%

Any OCD hunter out there wanna join me?

T___________T
What are these Medallions and Port Gals used for?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Heading online now for any shenanigans from Low to G-rank, Free C Lobby 9 as usual.

Joining now. Wanna get some green narga done for gear. :D

EDIT: Crap, room is full. :( Made a new room for green narga farming.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Good run! ( ´∀`)b liked when you knocked it out of the air lol

Some tips if you want to improve the clear time

Shelling is always nice on long type gunlances, not as important as wide, but for parts where you have time for more than a 3 hit combo, you can get more damage out by extending them with a shot instead of a sidestep/hop. Same applies if you're going to be using traps. The easiest times to reload are to backhop reload when you evade the double tail swipe or double tail slam

Not sure if you're familiar with lucent narga enough to count stagger limits, but long gunlances have the strongest wyvernfire type so a well placed wyvernfire to a leg you've been working on could be an easy trip. Also the wyvernfire on that gunlance has a hitbox about a foot or so behind you, so you can actually aim with your back to its leg and let the explosion propel you towards the downed narga you just knocked over if done right. Your back needs to be point blank to its leg though

It'll only take an extra couple of seconds so drinking a mega dash juice at the beginning along with your might seed is always nice. It'll allow you to do as many long backhops as you want to cover distance since the GL walk is so slow

If you're comfortable with removing evade+1, since lucent narga actually has pretty short active frames with its roar and tail attacks (you can guard everything else easily thanks to mega dash juice), you could replace it with razor sharp quite easily, reducing the need to sonic and sharpen as much

And lastly imo the shakalakas hurt more than they help for gunlance solo runs, since it's faster to make the monster target you at all times (letting you counter after every dodge) instead of jumping around the map and making you put away the weapon and run after them. This is YMMV though and you shouldn't worry about it if it's not helping you out

Anura

Trying out some hammering. Can someone tell me which is the more powerful combo? X, X, X OR lvl2 charge single hit OR lvl2 charge spinning hits?
Provided every atk connects,

Going by the P3rd formula, it would be triple X. Only very slightly

Spin might be better with slime but other than that don't waste the sharpness. Spin is generally used for tricky attacks, such as hitting ala's head on turn in Tri (not needed for that anymore)

Also my first post on GAF! Howdy everyone!

Beats

Oooh. Killed both G. Agnaktor and Agnaktor at the same time in the arena quest with Haunted, Insin, and Defunkled. That was godlike lol.

Lizardus

Spin might be better with slime but other than that don't waste the sharpness. Spin is generally used for tricky attacks, such as hitting ala's head on turn in Tri (not needed for that anymore)

Golf swing is the most powerful attack.

When monster is mobile, use the superpound hit&run tactic
When monster is stunned or exhausted, use the X-X-X attack

Another good attack is holding R just for a bit then following it up with X combo. The initial attack covers a good distance and can be used for evasive purpose too.

Haunted

Joining now. Wanna get some green narga done for gear. :D

EDIT: Crap, room is full. :( Made a new room for green narga farming.
sorry!

Got a nice room going with Defunkled, Beats and Insin right now, though. Doing the Agna and G.Agna Arena quest and both died on the same hit, at the same exact time. Never seen that before.

MONSTER HUNTER! :D

And an informative one at that!

Thanks for the info. :)

Golf swing is the most powerful attack.

When monster is mobile, use the superpound hit&run tactic
When monster is stunned or exhausted, use the X-X-X attack

Another good attack is holding R just for a bit then following it up with X combo. The initial attack covers a good distance and can be used for evasive purpose too.
Oooh, interesting. Learning all the time!

edit: which one is the superpound? The spin?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the level 2 charge on the hammer is probably my favorite attack on the weapon. It's something like 70% the knockout power of the golfswing. Very good and recommended, I could use nothing but that all day on monsters like brachy lol

Lizardus

sorry!

Got a nice room going with Defunkled, Beats and Insin right now, though. Doing the Agna and G.Agna Arena quest and both died on the same hit, at the same exact time. Never seen that before.

MONSTER HUNTER! :D

And an informative one at that!

Thanks for the info. :)

Oooh, interesting. Learning all the time!

edit: which one is the superpound? The spin?

Superpound is when you hold R to its full charge and let go. When he pounds the ground with hammer.

Haunted

Ok just so I get my terminology right.

X,X,X is the triple-pound.
Lvl2 charge while standing is the superpound.
Lvl2 charge while running is the spin.

What's the golf swing?

Anura

What's the golf swing?

It's generally considered charge Lvl 3 but yeah that's just about spot on

Golf swing is the finisher to the triple-pound and spin

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

What's the golf swing?
Those two are level 3 charge. Level 2 charge is the dash uppercut while standing or running. You can also get the 3-hit golfswing combo out faster if you start with A instead of X, it's about 6 frames faster, slightly less damage but more knockout damage.

Lizardus

pZGlsvo.jpg

My Mizar's Asterim set.

Gives me AuL, CE3 and Evade Extender but I am thinking of switiching Extender with Evasion+1 so I can stick to the monsters even more.

Duram Z cap
Barioth Z mail
Miralis grievers
Barioth Z grieves
Barioth Z legs

+5 Att +5 Evade extend charm

Haunted

Since I love dipping into the GAF Monster Hunter knowledge pool today:

Which of these buffs stack (and don't stack?)

Attack up (L) from Skill
Attack up (L) from Food
Demondrug
Mega Demondrug

Lizardus

Since I love dipping into the GAF Monster Hunter knowledge pool today:

Which of these buffs stack (and don't stack?)

Attack up (L) from Skill
Attack up (L) from Food
Demondrug
Mega Demondrug

I think all of them stack

EDIT: Didnt know Mega Demondrug overrode regular demondrug

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Mega demondrug will override demondrug but the rest of those stack. If you're looking for efficiency, might seeds are your best bet since they provide the best attack boost over time. Note that attack up dances by the shakalakas will override boosts from items taken during the quest though.

thetrin

Hey Haunted, how much later are you going to be up? Would love to do some narga farming with you and some other gaffers.

Haunted

Hey Haunted, how much later are you going to be up? Would love to do some narga farming with you and some other gaffers.
Hm, I've still got that original room going with Def Beats and Insin. I've got no intention to stop anytime soon. :D

The best I can do is to give a shoutout in this thread when someone leaves and a spot opens up. :)

thetrin

Hm, I've still got that original room going with Def Beats and Insin. The best thing I can do is to give a shoutout in here when someone leaves and a spot opens up. :)
Fine by me. I may not be able to join, but we'll see. :)

Narras

What's the golf swing?

I just wanted to add that during a hammer spin, depending on when you decide to end it (or not), your attack will end in a different way. I think the best one is after 4-5 spins when you can end your attack into a golf swing.

Haunted

PSA: We might have a spot open in the BestGAF room soon. :eek:

Given how many GAFers want in on the action tonight, maybe a second room would work. Rare, but it happens. :D

Beats

PSA: We might have a spot open in the BestGAF room soon. :eek:

Given how many GAFers want in on the action tonight, maybe a second room would work. Rare, but it happens. :D

I think there are two rooms full already. Someone else on my friend list is in a gaf room.

Haunted

I think there are two rooms full already. Someone else on my friend list is in a gaf room.
niiice!

I hate Capcom's lobby system for this. So restrictive. Imagine a big tavern with 10+ GAFers all going on various quests, chatting and being able to spectate people on the hunt instead of this antiquated setup with 4 people and such a limited way to search and see and join others... bah!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
niiice!

I hate Capcom's lobby system for this. So restrictive. Imagine a room with 20 GAFers all going on various quests, chatting, others being able to spectate people on the hunt instead of this antiquated setup with 4 people and such a limited way to search and join others... bah
Sounds like what MH could be on the ps4 :|

Anura

niiice!

I hate Capcom's lobby system for this. So restrictive. Imagine a big tavern with 10+ GAFers all going on various quests, chatting and being able to spectate people on the hunt instead of this antiquated setup with 4 people and such a limited way to search and see and join others... bah!

The Japanese tri had 12 people lobbies... What I wouldn't give for that...

Top Bottom