• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
This is my first MH (3DS) and it took me 100 hours to get to Ceadeus due to my insistence on collecting EVERY blade master armour set. For me, the sets are an immensely satisfying trophy for mastering a monster though it's resulted in some ludicrous grind.

My question for MHGaf: now that I'm in high rank, should I bother continuing the habit? Are the high end versions mostly just reskins? Does the grind become far worse? I'm in no rush, so if the time commitment is about the same I don't mind, but I'd like to avoid unnecessary tedium.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first MH (3DS) and it took me 100 hours to get to Ceadeus due to my insistence on collecting EVERY blade master armour set. For me, the sets are an immensely satisfying trophy for mastering a monster though it's resulted in some ludicrous grind.

My question for MHGaf: now that I'm in high rank, should I bother continuing the habit? Are the high end versions mostly just reskins? Does the grind become far worse? I'm in no rush, so if the time commitment is about the same I don't mind, but I'd like to avoid unnecessary tedium.
Definitely avoid it. There's several reasons why being a completionist in that way is pointless

- nearly every piece of armor will become useless compared to their high rank counterpart, and the same goes for high vs G rank counterpart

- there will be subspecies of most monsters down the line, resulting in 2 versions of each monster's armor

- there aren't enough inventory spaces in the equipment box to fit every piece of armor in the game in the first place

Lizardus

This game is trolling me.. I need tailbone from Duramboros.. I need 5 of them for SA upgrade and I can't get any.. Damn it.. 4% to 7% to get.. depending of how "carve/reward/mine" Low or High...

and yet I got Sapphire back to back from carving I Lagi tail.. "4%"

If you have VE Silver tickets, you an trade them for Duram Tailbones in Flooded Forest.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Definitely avoid it. There's several reasons why being a completionist in that way is pointless

- nearly every piece of armor will become useless compared to their high rank counterpart, and the same goes for high vs G rank counterpart

- there will be subspecies of most monsters down the line, resulting in 2 versions of each monster's armor

- there aren't enough inventory spaces in the equipment box to fit every piece of armor in the game in the first place
Ah, thanks, that third point's a shame. Guess my dream of being the Cruella DeVille of Moga Village is shattered.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
About to start a room to farm brachy gems. Anyone who wishes to join is welcome.

EDIT: Made a room with Haunted to do brachy farming. Come join us!

Fewr

Why not HGE, Awaken and sharpness +1?

Helios Z Helm
Helios Z Chest
Helios Z Gloves
Helios X Waist
Artian Greaves

You'll need a +3 Awaken charm. And you'll have like 10(?) slots free. That's the set I'm using.
That sounds fantastic. I have a Fate+5 charm, does that work?
EDIT: wait, I think Fate is not the correct name, I'll check tomorrow and see the name of the bonus I'm thinking about.

Same here, I did all low rank collecting one of each armor to "learn" every monster, then on high rank I only had wroggi S and volvidon S armors, now in G rank I've got jaggi and I'm working on another long term set (helios, which will take a looooong time lol).

EDIT: Another point, after high rank I got fed up with single player, so now I'm doing most of my G rank farming in multiplayer, so you might want to consider saving for a wii u in a few months time.(MonHun GAF is the best!)

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone out there in MonHunGAF know if the MH4 shirts will be up on Uniqlo's USA site? Been checking since yesterday when they were supposed to go up. I want that Pugi stripe one!

FlyFaster

I'm torn between two sets right now.

the first is
Lagi X (Using GS)
Skills: Awaken | Crit Draw | Speed Sharpening | Weakness Exploit | Focus | Status Attack Down
Attack is 1320 with the Myxo (white sharpness)

the second set is
Nether (Using GS)
Skills: Current Res Hi | Honed Blade | Crit Draw | Stamina Recovery Up | Crit Eye -1
Attack is 1416 with Myxo. (purple) This set needs a 1 slot weapon.

I like both sets. which set would you choose and why? Is Honed Blade and Crit Eye -1 really worth Speed sharpening, Weakness Exploit, and Focus? (Status atk down doesn't effect me)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Focus is possibly the most useful GS skill so I would go with the first one. If you're looking for overall efficiency and not looks though, there's much better options out there than those two sets (assuming you have end-game stuff available since you listed nether).

vareon

Don't do it, you will get burned before seeing many of the better content in the game.

That said, I actually wanted some kind of armor stand in the house, like in Skyrim, where you can put your unused armor there.

FlyFaster

Focus is possibly the most useful GS skill so I would go with the first one. If you're looking for overall efficiency and not looks though, there's much better options out there than those two sets (assuming you have end-game stuff available since you listed nether).

Focus is good. It's better then it was in Tri but it still is only saving you about 1/2 a second.

also, I don't have the charms to be able to gem out Crit Eye -1. So for now it's part of the set.

Dammit guys. I hit my motivation block. At near 300 hours I have built a dozen maxed ls and gs each as well as maxed out my equipment set list. That especially bummed me out. 3 pages is not enough. I have little motivation to build other stuff now as I don't think I want to expand my weapon usage. Maybe that will change during the slow summer though. Having to dump registered armor and charms though sucks because I know I what ever I remove will become lost in the ocean that has become my equipment box.

Hopefully the events will continue to come.

Anyone know roughly when we can expect g rank ala relative to when the Japanese release got it?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf?! Fuck this fucking game! It said survive the time OR deliver the paw pass! Motherfuuuuuuuuuuuu!

I trapped a deviljo ony first try and then I ran around waiting for time to run out. Fuck!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Built some Dire Miralis dual blades. Gooood lookin'!

Still need to finish HR7.

Airan

YESSSS Completed all single player quests! Mark of the Hero was quite a bitch to do, but it turned out to be a test of patience and I managed it in about 35 min :D

Alatreon is a massive departure from all the other hunts in the game, the difficulty was more in line with the original Tri, by 40 mins I was wondering when the quest would end D: One last shot with the Ballista Binder then a mad dash to do a Super Slam and I won! :D :D :D

In contrast, multiplayer Alatreon took less than 5 mins with 4 people XD

LayLa

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone out there in MonHunGAF know if the MH4 shirts will be up on Uniqlo's USA site? Been checking since yesterday when they were supposed to go up. I want that Pugi stripe one!

should be soon, the EU website has them up now. the shirt i wanted is only available so far in XXS and XS :(

Between Sharpness+1 or Critical Eye+3, which do you guys think do more damage over time?

Don't really care for ESP as I usually am in sword mode in SA.

thetrin

Anyone up for some High Rank B. Diab farming. I need to finish my Dios Slicers +.

EDIT: Nevermind. Might have to do it later today. Got a bunch of shit to do. How am I so busy on a fucking sunday?

taybul

Finally unlocked "Mark of the Hero", went in for a dry run, basic loadout, killed I.Lagi, A.Rath, got destroyed by Brachy 1-on-1. He did this one move I had never seen before where he triple chains his fist pound. Deckin' out Rambo-style for round 2.

edit: round 2 and done. carted twice on I.Lagi, almost restarted, decided to go with it, killed all 3 playing a little more conservatively :D

Ah, thanks, that third point's a shame. Guess my dream of being the Cruella DeVille of Moga Village is shattered.

I like to collect equipment too, but I save that as a post game goal. After I've finished every quest and the game has aged, I'll start collecting G rank armors.

I have for a quest where I have to capture a Arzuros monster. Could someone give me a bit of advice on how to do this? The various items you get to use don't seem to do anything (shock and tranq) and I just end up killing them instead! Lol!

Cheers :)

tuffy

I have for a quest where I have to capture a Arzuros monster. Could someone give me a bit of advice on how to do this? The various items you get to use don't seem to do anything (shock and tranq) and I just end up killing them instead! Lol!
Forge the 5 Perception Jewel decorations needed for the Capture Guru skill and attach them to your weapon/armor/talisman. Then, while the monster has been painted, its orange dot will start to flash when it's weak enough to be captured. At that point, lure it into a trap and hit it with two tranq bombs while it's stuck. This should yield a capture every time.

Satch

Banned

Cheers :)

Fight him until he starts to limp, and THEN place a trap and tranq him. It won't work if he's not weak.

thetrin

Right, so the trap that looks like electricity should lock him into place? The monster looks like a lizard, right? Very low to the ground?
Yeah, when he starts drooling, drop a shock trap, wait until he's trapped in it, and then toss 2-3 tranqs at him.

Sorry, missed the other question. No, arzuros is a bear creature.

thetrin

Gotta farm HR Black Diablos for carapace pieces. Anyone up for some quick farming to get the last 3 carapaces I need?

Mupod

Yeah, when he starts drooling, drop a shock trap, wait until he's trapped in it, and then toss 2-3 tranqs at him.

Drooling is not a sign of weakness, it's just tired and this has no bearing on whether it's capturable or not. If you're new to capturing, it's safest to wait until the monster retreats and is asleep. Of course, Arzuros has such little health you need to be very careful with him.

Which reminds me - how badass is it that Zinogre can break out of shock traps by going Super Saiyan?

Well he's specifically using them to charge himself up. When he's fully charged he just destroys them by walking over them.

Haunted

Doing some farming with a friend, she excitedly calls me over because it's FINALLY a fucking Gunlance from an Ancientshard...

It's a Great Bone Gunlance.

tumblr_mdbt3evED11rju9mbo1_250.gif

thetrin

Drooling is not a sign of weakness, it's just tired and this has no bearing on whether it's capturable or not. If you're new to capturing, it's safest to wait until the monster retreats and is asleep. Of course, Arzuros has such little health you need to be very careful with him.

I meant to type limping. Not sure why drooling came out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Limping is the earliest you can cap, but this sort of thing is why I usually gem for capture guru. I like having that notification, even if I don't want to cap it tells me how close I am to a kill.

Haunted

Limping is the earliest you can cap, but this sort of thing is why I usually gem for capture guru. I like having that notification, even if I don't want to cap it tells me how close I am to a kill.
There's a small window before a monster starts limping where you can catch it, that's what makes capture guru so useful.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's a small window before a monster starts limping where you can catch it, that's what makes capture guru so useful.

Yup, before I started gemming for it I would wait for the limp. Now? Now I just wait for the blinking dot. I love capture guru so much.

thetrin

Really close to finishing HR7. Anyone up for doing the last few quests in the next bit?

Top Bottom